What Is The Most Important Difference?

Soteriology

Hands down...the most important difference.

As we see on this board:

Roman Catholics don't know if they are saved.
Roman Catholics don't know how to be saved.
Roman Catholics do not know if they even have faith in Jesus.
Roman Catholics do not know if they are right with God.
Roman Catholics don't know if they are going to Heaven or Hell.
Roman Catholics don't know if they have eternal life.

Basically, they know close to nothing according to their own admission....yet they think they are people to lecture everyone else about the Gospel.

What's the most important difference between Protestants and Roman Catholics?
Well their leaders do not meet the scriptural requirements for a start.

But they teach another gospel one that must follow their rules and not Jesus. They take the focus off Jesus and put it on Mary and themselves.

Atemi and peanut gallery both make excellent points.

It is likely that individual Catholics would answer this question in a variety of ways. It is difficult for me to name the one important difference between Protestants and Catholics as there are so many important differences.

If you were to press me, I would say the presence of Christ in the Eucharist. If one disbelieves this, in my opinion, there is no reason to be Catholic. On the other hand, if one believes it, they cannot help but be Catholic. There is nothing else in Catholicism in my opinion that is worthy anything without the Eucharist. The Eucharist is who and what we are. Without it--again---what is the point of being Catholic? Without it, we are just another sect among hundreds if not thousands of Christian sects just kind of doing our own thing, all the while claiming to go by the Scriptures alone.

The Eucharist is what makes me Catholic and is the reason I remain Catholic. If there were no Eucharist, I would probably be atheist.

Soteriology

As we see on this board:

Yes we can--at least we can be reasonably certain. Absolute certainty, however, only comes in heaven. If we had absolute certainty, what need of Faith?
Yes we do.
If there is one thing I am certain of, it is that Jesus is LORD, GOD, and SAVIOR.
We can be reasonably certain. If we had absolute certainty, however, what need of we of Faith?
We can be reasonably certain that we are going to heaven. If we had absolute certainty, what need of Faith?
See above.
Basically, they know close to nothing according to their own admission....yet they think they are people to lecture everyone else about the Gospel.
We lecture everyone else about the Gospel!!??

Um, this is a Protestant website run by Protestants--with the goal of lecturing Catholics about the Gospel. Pot, meet kettle!

The centrality of the Eucharist is probably the main difference. Another point of difference from my experience is the universal nature of Catholicism. My 3 siblings married people from Protestant backgrounds. While they had experienced Christian fellowship in their own circles they were amazed by how Catholics in every part of the world are so familiar and comfortable in random Catholic parishes. My brother and his wife and young family went to live in another country for his work and they easily slotted into the new parish without having to get familiar with worship styles and expectations. Eventually all three converted to Catholicism having had prejudices they had about Catholicism, disproved.

The fact of universal familiarity rather than just a theoretical unity, makes Catholicism stand out.

Soteriology

As we see on this board:

Yes we can--at least we can be reasonably certain.

Hahahaha. You have no clue.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Absolute certainty, however, only comes in heaven.

In Roman Catholicism, what God says is not absolutely certain in their minds.

What a sad joke.

Yes we do.

If you knew how to be saved, you would know if you were saved or not.

If there is one thing I am certain of, it is that Jesus is LORD, GOD, and SAVIOR.

Sorry, just repeating what a devout Catholic pal of yours said here.

She would say you don't know if you have faith in Jesus Christ or not.

And Jesus may be Savior, but if you are not absolutely, certainly saved....He is not your Savior.

Maybe. Maybe not. You just don't know for sure, right?

We can be reasonably certain.

You still guessing?

Maybe. Maybe not.

We can be reasonably certain that we are going to heaven.

If you died this very hour, are you guaranteed to go to Heaven?

Let me guess: you don't know and do not want to "presume." LOL.

Maybe. Maybe not.

See above.

Yeah. The same guessing.

We lecture everyone else about the Gospel!!??

Yes.

Um, this is a Protestant website run by Protestants--with the goal of lecturing Catholics about the Gospel. Pot, meet kettle!

It is no sin to lecture on the Gospel....unless you have no clue what it is and think God cannot be trusted with absolute certainty.

It is likely that individual Catholics would answer this question in a variety of ways. It is difficult for me to name the one important difference between Protestants and Catholics as there are so many important differences.

If you were to press me, I would say the presence of Christ in the Eucharist. If one disbelieves this, in my opinion, there is no reason to be Catholic. On the other hand, if one believes it, they cannot help but be Catholic. There is nothing else in Catholicism in my opinion that is worthy anything without the Eucharist. The Eucharist is who and what we are. Without it--again---what is the point of being Catholic? Without it, we are just another sect among hundreds if not thousands of Christian sects just kind of doing our own thing, all the while claiming to go by the Scriptures alone.

The Eucharist is what makes me Catholic and is the reason I remain Catholic. If there were no Eucharist, I would probably be atheist.
If some unknown person came to you today and asked "How can I be saved? What should I do? I want to go to Heaven!" What would you tell him?

Cathoics believe that Jesus Christ founded a visible church that continued in the Catholic Church today and that her doctrines are protected from error as promised by her founder, Jesus Christ.

Protestants, on the other hand, believes in an invisible church, rejects the notion of infallibility meaning anyone could be wrong so that nobody can be trusted as speaking the truth of divine revelation. they do not believe God guided them to all truth and just tentatively assent to what their individual pastors/ministers say. since they are fallible statements it can be changed anytime.

The centrality of the Eucharist is probably the main difference. Another point of difference from my experience is the universal nature of Catholicism. My 3 siblings married people from Protestant backgrounds. While they had experienced Christian fellowship in their own circles they were amazed by how Catholics in every part of the world are so familiar and comfortable in random Catholic parishes. My brother and his wife and young family went to live in another country for his work and they easily slotted into the new parish without having to get familiar with worship styles and expectations. Eventually all three converted to Catholicism having had prejudices they had about Catholicism, disproved.

The fact of universal familiarity rather than just a theoretical unity, makes Catholicism stand out.
The centrality of the Eucharist is probably the main difference.

Why isn't the eucharist mentioned in the Nicean creed if its so central? Maybe today it is because your church has morphed into something completely unrecognizable from the first few centuries.

While they had experienced Christian fellowship in their own circles they were amazed by how Catholics in every part of the world are so familiar and comfortable in random Catholic parishes.

I've been in numerous christian churches, ones that preach the gospel and have had great fellowship. I've met believers for the first time and felt like we had great fellowship because of who we had in common, Jesus. You feel comfortable because of the uniformity of the ritual. Two different things.

Jw's and Mormons can say the exact same thing. Uniformity isn't the same as unity. Especially when it concerns the gospel. All believers everywhere have that in common.

Back