Why we have the perception we do

Still thinking you are the one true church.
No, 'knowing'.
For someone who prides himself on following what Jesus said, you certainly forgot about Him saying to let your yes be yes, and your no be no, in favor of playing ring around the rosy to avoid saying what you mean.
and yet you still did not respond to my comments on 1Jn5

No, 'knowing'.

and yet you still did not respond to my comments on 1Jn5

Considering that was posted to someone else, telling me I didn't answer it is hilarious. Man, you just like to play cat and mouse games.

What things did St. John write? The first four chapters.... what was in those chapters? .... about 21 IF's

IF we walk in the light

IF we acknowledge our sins

IF anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

IF what you heard from the beginning REMAINS in you, then you will remain in the Son and in the Father.

IF you consider that he is righteous

IF someone who has worldly means sees a brother in need and refuses him compassion, how can the love of God remain in him?

These verses are not cause and effect. If you do this, then God will do this. Such a view is applicable only to the Mosaic covenant, which was bilateral. The new covenant is unilateral. These if statements are more of a "barometer" by which we measure our position, as Paul also indicates. We are to evaluate ourselves to see if we remain in the faith. And this is how we do it.

If we are walking in the light, it indicates that already have fellowship with God. If we confess (not acknowledge, as if intellectual assent is enough) we are forgiven. Not we will be forgiven as if it is dependent on our action. etc.

It is summed up in "We love Him because He first loved us." You have the relationship backwards. Rather than it being a list of "to do's" it is a list of tests by which we can examine ourselves to see if we are responding to what God has already done. And if we are not responding, then we are still dead in sin. It is by this things that we may know that we are in God, not that we can reserve our seat by doing them.

Considering that was posted to someone else, telling me I didn't answer it is hilarious. Man, you just like to play cat and mouse games.
Oh my!!!! 👇
Did you notice what St. John was saying? [In his letter]

Just spit out what you are trying to say.
The post right above yours... 128
post 128 👇
What things did St. John write? The first four chapters.... what was in those chapters? .... about 21 IF's

IF we walk in the light

IF we acknowledge our sins

IF anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

IF what you heard from the beginning REMAINS in you, then you will remain in the Son and in the Father.

IF you consider that he is righteous

IF someone who has worldly means sees a brother in need and refuses him compassion, how can the love of God remain in him?
🧐:sneaky:

Yep, they are the experts.
Where does the Bible say we're to depend on experts? Who determines who is an "expert"?

Why does the Bible tell us to read the Bible and discern for ourselves?

Why does the Bible tell us to teach our children, and not turn them over to experts?

I was a social worker in a holler in Kentucky for about a year when I was younger. There was a pastor there who never went past 8th grade, never went to seminary, but learned from Godly men and spent decades as a respected leader in the Christian community there. Frankly, he ran rings around a lot of guys I went to seminary with. Would he be considered an expert there?

How is this belief not the argumentum ad verecundiam logical fallacy?
That was wrong for him to tell you that. Clearly wrong.
Why? If we're to listen to experts, then why is he wrong and you're right?

Are you an expert like he is?
On the contrary. I have taken what the Catholic Church teaches and read the scriptures to compare the two. Everything is just fine.
How can you say that when they contradict and when many of the things found in Catholic teaching aren't even remotely suggested by scripture?
We can take the teachings of the Catholic Church to the bank.
So then, you should have no problem demonstrating where certain Catholic teachings are found in scripture. Are you willing to demonstrate this?
Hearing the word of God and putting into practice on how Jesus says we should live our lives is sufficient. It is not a salvation requirement to read the Bible. It is a good thing to do, but not a requirement to get to heaven.
If someone doesn't love God's Word, how is that consistent with the fruit the Bible says we'll produce if we're saved?
And the Catholic church tells us the truth.
So, does that mean those scripture verses that contradict Catholicism are not telling you the truth?
All Catholics can lay their heads on their pillows at night knowing that they follow the first and the true Christian church that God established on this earth.
Therein lies the difference.

Christ never told us to follow the Church. He told us to follow Him.

You follow the religion you believe Christ founded.

Christians follow Christ.
If you want to believe the bevy of men who came up out of nowhere and decided they knew better than the established Christian Church that is fine, but don't expect the rest of us clear thinking Christians to join you.
OK. And don't expect we Christians to believe the Catholic Church that believes it knows better than the revealed and inspired Word of God.
Maybe in the past, but not today. We are encouraged to read the scriptures.
So why don't you?
So? We all get the scriptures at Mass every week.
No, you get a missal, which is portions and snippets of scripture your church wants you to have.
That is total misinformation.
Many Christian preachers have post their sermons and their sermon notes online.

Could you please show us some examples of Catholic priests preaching exegetically?
I talked to a Ncc once and he had no idea of the history of Christianity from the beginning until this present time? ECF's? No idea. A schism in the 11th century? Nope, he knew nothing about that either. He was only told what Pastor Bob told him and that was that, and it seems to me that Pastor Bob has failed that man immensely.
Not surprising. Most Christians don't know church history.

However, the problem with your claim is that the Bible never charges "Pastor Bob" with teaching church history. It's wonderful if Christians know church history (that's why I teach church history). But it isn't really "Pastor Bob's" job.

I would certainly rather be in Pastor Bob's shoes on Judgment Day than Father Bob's.

We also have a homily. I like to have my own missel, and in it before each of the two readings and the gospel there is a commentary as well.
Do you have links?
Sad to see that happened. Every week one of our priests holds a get together where anyone's questions are answered with respect.
We have Q&A, as well. In fact, if you go to SermonAudio.com, you'll see that most Christian churches do.
Now, what would happen should you and your Pastor arrive at an impasse and he determines you are wrong, and he won't budge, would you be out looking for another church?
Depends. If it's a non-essential, then I would grow up and let it go.

If it's an essential, or a heresy, or something that is putting his soul or the soul of others in jeopardy, then I would take it to the elders.
I walked out of Mass just this past Sunday because of a visiting priest who did not follow the rubrics of the Mass. I also once walked out of a Mass 30 years ago over something another priest did and confronted that same priest over the problem. Other than those two, every priest who has ever presided at a Catholic Mass I have been at has been just fine.
So, you say you've attended twenty churches and walk out of masses? Aren't you the one who likes to claim that Christians can just church hop if they don't like what their church is teaching?
We Catholics do not disagree with church doctrine or teachings
This Borg like mentality shows a lack of critical thinking.

This is quite unlike the Ncc rebel who will most likely go start another church altogether when things go south at their current place of worship.
OK. I'll be honest and say that our last church was started by 16 members when our previous church became very liberal and seeker sensitive, so I'll admit that it does happen (often, with good reason). But you make it sound like it's a common thing, when it's actually very rare.
Our Bishops are the successors of the Apostles.
Except that they can't be, because they don't meet any of the Biblical criteria to be apostles.
, I accept on the basis of faith all that the Christian religion says, and particularly how the Catholic Church explains it.
So, you've just outsourced your thinking to somebody else? How cult-like.
No. I have faith that the Catholic Church is correct, as you have faith that your sect is telling you the truth. They make the interpretation and I agree with it.
The difference is that you've just admitted that you just accept what Catholicism tells you without criticism or question.

We accept what our "sect" tells us because we can compare it to scripture and see for ourselves.
The Bible was written so that even the most unlearned person could believe the story of world creation and the existence of man that was trying to be told.
And yet, you just told us that only "experts" can understand the Bible.
History is made up of facts, there is no personal interpretation. The following is true: Until the 16th century there were no Anglicans; there were no Baptists; there were no Lutherans; there were no Evangelicals; and there were no Methodists. There is no proof you can offer to say otherwise.
Correct. However, there were Anabaptists and proto-reformers.

Back