WoF and the Gates of Hell

Matthew 16:18
King James Version
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Except, of course that Peter WAS NEVER any sort of "Rock", and Jesus was referring to the UNCTION of the Holy Spirit, which was the ONLY way that Peter could know who Jesus was. The Church is built on the Holy Spirit, not Peter.

Not sure why you jumped there, but perhaps.

Are you Mutt or Jeff? Who created this dismissal? I'm guessing you are the follower and Tallen is The Man.
I'm actually guilty of the dismissal...Folks kept saying "Thank you for your thoughts..." to me so often, I suggested the acronym TYFYT...It stuck.
That was years ago, and as far as I can tell, it became a private dismissal...only the four of us get it.

Welcome to the club!

I'm actually guilty of the dismissal...Folks kept saying "Thank you for your thoughts..." to me so often, I suggested the acronym TYFYT...It stuck.
That was years ago, and as far as I can tell, it became a private dismissal...only the four of us get it.

Welcome to the club!
Offereing a short version is not that same as using it. What really caught me and threw me into the Mutt and Jeff paradigm, is that Tallen said it to me and like the next post later Yodas_Prodigy felt the need to say it as well. Perhaps yes, like they are in a club. A club that doesn't really thank you because they could care less about anyone's thoughts that disagree iwth themselves. Just a tone I got when they bit so fast.

Offereing a short version is not that same as using it. What really caught me and threw me into the Mutt and Jeff paradigm, is that Tallen said it to me and like the next post later Yodas_Prodigy felt the need to say it as well. Perhaps yes, like they are in a club. A club that doesn't really thank you because they could care less about anyone's thoughts that disagree iwth themselves. Just a tone I got when they bit so fast.
Yeah. We’ve been here so many years we forget that there are others out there. We’ve become a really rude bunch. Some might suggest we’ve always been.

All that you say your post are like fresh air…especially if you and I remain civil. Peevish gets old after a decade.

Yeah. We’ve been here so many years we forget that there are others out there. We’ve become a really rude bunch. Some might suggest we’ve always been.

All that you say your post are like fresh air…especially if you and I remain civil. Peevish gets old after a decade.
You've shown nothing but civility. Human conversation. Bob Carabbio seems cool too. Am ole hipster, perhaps? But you. Why are you here? There are god complexes here. Are you trying to save them? Did you say you've been here 30 years? Thats like an abused wife trying to change her husband. Ha! Not that that's funny.

Had to look up peevish. Yeah that fits. You throw yourself in with them. Rude bunch. You don't seem rude. You seem calm. You some kind of psychologist? You said you pastored 3 years, which to be good takes people skills. You seem like good people.

You've shown nothing but civility. Human conversation.
Yeah....but...thirty years, I've had my days.

I'm not quite as polite to folks who have the habit of calling anyone who disagrees with them "stupid," because I also have the habit of disagreeing with folks. I'm lately more active on the "Society/Ethics/Politics " board, and there are a couple "scholars" there who have "lectured in Universities", to whom I'm less inclined to politeness.

Bob Carabbio seems cool too. An ole hipster, perhaps?
Bob defines cool, couth and wry humor as well. He plays the banjo, and lives in Texas. You have to stay cool in Texas.

But you. Why are you here? There are god complexes here. Are you trying to save them? Did you say you've been here 30 years? Thats like an abused wife trying to change her husband. Ha! Not that that's funny.
It's fantastic entertainment...like a good game of Wordle. I"m not invested in winning an argument, but in CARM, I've found a place to practice verbalizing, clarifying and defending my testimony, my thoughts and insights while examining those of these friends whose theology and experiences have led them to other views. The three of four here have the basics for decent debate: They're intelligent, consistent...and insightful. I always get a decent beating if I'm not being ignored, and I can hit back, because I do have a seminary background as well as forty years of Christian work experience. For the last thirty plus, I was a Christian French teacher in a state school, so linguistics is my playground.

BTW...these guys don't have a god complex, but they have licensed themselves to shed any semblance of politesse. I watched them drive other WoF proponents away with such surprising vehemence I began to think they don't like to be corrected. They're clearly not here but to demonstrate how sound their doctrine is. In the golden age, our best debates were on the meaning of "orthodoxy.". Very entertaining and most memorable. But I teach. I'm always armed with the red pen, and I know how to wield it.

Had to look up peevish. Yeah that fits. You throw yourself in with them. Rude bunch. You don't seem rude. You seem calm. You some kind of psychologist? You said you pastored 3 years, which to be good takes people skills. You seem like good people.
In the long run, we're good people here. The remnant.

I taught high school for forty years. Teachers take hits from all sides. But the Holy Spirit has adequately equipped us to what we're called to do.

Yeah....but...thirty years, I've had my days.

I'm not quite as polite to folks who have the habit of calling anyone who disagrees with them "stupid," because I also have the habit of disagreeing with folks. I'm lately more active on the "Society/Ethics/Politics " board, and there are a couple "scholars" there who have "lectured in Universities", to whom I'm less inclined to politeness.
Nice isn't my best habit, especially in hte face of fools.

Bob defines cool, couth and wry humor as well. He plays the banjo, and lives in Texas. You have to stay cool in Texas.

It's fantastic entertainment...like a good game of Wordle. I"m not invested in winning an argument, but in CARM, I've found a place to practice verbalizing, clarifying and defending my testimony, my thoughts and insights while examining those of these friends whose theology and experiences have led them to other views. The three of four here have the basics for decent debate: They're intelligent, consistent...and insightful. I always get a decent beating if I'm not being ignored, and I can hit back, because I do have a seminary background as well as forty years of Christian work experience. For the last thirty plus, I was a Christian French teacher in a state school, so linguistics is my playground.
Better places to sharpen your sword. (I did note your "linguistic" correction of my "Am ole hipster" comment. Ha!)

BTW...these guys don't have a god complex, but they have licensed themselves to shed any semblance of politesse. I watched them drive other WoF proponents away with such surprising vehemence I began to think they don't like to be corrected. They're clearly not here but to demonstrate how sound their doctrine is. In the golden age, our best debates were on the meaning of "orthodoxy.". Very entertaining and most memorable. But I teach. I'm always armed with the red pen, and I know how to wield it.
Guy comes in and asks some questions, counters a couple points, and gets dismissed because the receivers don't like being wrong? God complex. They are right and won't face opposition. I've seen it more times then I can count.

In the long run, we're good people here. The remnant.
Angry people can be good people. I know what I just saw. Useless people to have conversation with because once they are countered they will run away from me. You'll know: can't teach a child who won't stay in class.

I taught high school for forty years. Teachers take hits from all sides. But the Holy Spirit has adequately equipped us to what we're called to do.
Teach on, dude.

Not sure why you jumped there, but perhaps.

Are you Mutt or Jeff? Who created this dismissal? I'm guessing you are the follower and Tallen is The Man.

Context decides whether it is a dismissal or other. I notice you gravitated right away to the idea of a dismissal. No. it wasn't a dismissal. It was me saying this isn't worth debating. I also notice you have started your whole entry in to the forum as being adversarial. I also notice your unchristian personal attacks. You have already proven what type of person you are. The only question I have for you is, "Who were you before?" People who come in here with such bravado typically were here under a different screen name. They want to hide their past because they got their lunch handed to them theologically. Name calling is certainly one of the lowest levels of debate. And trying to demean a person is right there too.

I did a quick survey of recent threads and noticed that I don't comment on about 2/3's of them. To link Ted and I so closely together is either an assumption or some kind of preconceived notion from past experience.

As for TB, you made another false claim. I don't ignore him. I respond to comments of his that interest me that I either agree or disagree with. I probably ignore a higher percentage of Ted's posts than TB's posts...

So, who were you before?

Context decides whether it is a dismissal or other. I notice you gravitated right away to the idea of a dismissal. No. it wasn't a dismissal. It was me saying this isn't worth debating.
If you want to dismiss, don't respond.

I also notice you have started your whole entry in to the forum as being adversarial. I also notice your unchristian personal attacks.
Adversatial? As in mean? Or as in opposite your ideas? And now I'm unchristian? Who made you god? See @tbeachhead, god complexes.

You have already proven what type of person you are. The only question I have for you is, "Who were you before?" People who come in here with such bravado typically were here under a different screen name. They want to hide their past because they got their lunch handed to them theologically. Name calling is certainly one of the lowest levels of debate. And trying to demean a person is right there too.
Before? No, there's no before. I am the attitude I am. Don't like it, don't respond. Your god complex is showing.

I did a quick survey of recent threads and noticed that I don't comment on about 2/3's of them. To link Ted and I so closely together is either an assumption or some kind of preconceived notion from past experience.
I'll assume Ted is Tallen? I only read the latest handful and you are there. Until @tbeachhead showed up it was only you and Tallen. He leads. You follow. I scanned down a few pages. A rare event he isn't the thread poster.

As for TB, you made another false claim. I don't ignore him. I respond to comments of his that interest me that I either agree or disagree with. I probably ignore a higher percentage of Ted's posts than TB's posts...
Oh boo hoo. Only because Tallen seems to post more. But....this is the way to do social media. Don't respond. Thanks for your thoughts is a way to say screw off.

So, who were you before?
I'm just me, god. So who are you? Are you really Jeff (Mutt and Jeff)? The follower....and I don't mean of Christ because even though Mutt has a god complex too he's not Christ. You are a strange one, you know that?

This just hit me....are you obsessing over me? That's a lot of work for someone new. Oh geez. I'm someone's crush. :love:

Context decides whether it is a dismissal or other. I notice you gravitated right away to the idea of a dismissal. No. it wasn't a dismissal. It was me saying this isn't worth debating.
Define dismissal, Joe.

This comment is lame.

We've been saying this since the days JFee was savaged by the sexists on this forum. Rude is us.
I also notice you have started your whole entry in to the forum as being adversarial. I also notice your unchristian personal attacks. You have already proven what type of person you are. The only question I have for you is, "Who were you before?" People who come in here with such bravado typically were here under a different screen name. They want to hide their past because they got their lunch handed to them theologically. Name calling is certainly one of the lowest levels of debate. And trying to demean a person is right there too.
Or not...

A lot of what you called lunch Trav would call pablum...and trav wasn't great at discerning the difference. You still have an over abundant esteem of your own theological prowess. It's not negligible...neither is it infallible.

Folks are often quick to draw...and that's not always congenial either.

Ted is consistent. I became sporadic with changing jobs after I retired. But this is a fair observation. And we all snap at each other by decades long habit, even when we're not talking about orthodoxy.
So, who were you before?
That's happened here before. Folks have come back under another name. But he called me nice, Joe. That's rare indeed. ;)

That's happened here before. Folks have come back under another name. But he called me nice, Joe. That's rare indeed. ;)

l already know who it is... He is just playing you... It is the same person who you claim turned his back on you... A person can change their name. But it is hard to change their posting style and the words and phrases they use...

Dismissal - the act of treating something (or someone, in this case) as unworthy of serious consideration...

So no, I did not dismiss Bob...

l already know who it is... He is just playing you... It is the same person who you claim turned his back on you... A person can change their name. But it is hard to change their posting style and the words and phrases they use...

Dismissal - the act of treating something (or someone, in this case) as unworthy of serious consideration...

Someone turned their back on me? But then they call me "civil?" You guys are better than I at this game. What "Bob" did that. Calling you guys "Mutt" and "Jeff" was weird...I always liked "Triumvirate". Gave you power. And he left Bob BA out of the mix? I admit, I don't know what's going on? Great diversion, though, when so many balloons are floating around us.

OK. So tbeachhead calls you Joe. And you call him Bob. Is that wjo Taken was talking to? Not me?

Or are you calling me Bob too? Which tells me Mutt snd Jeff talk to each other outside of this site.

Hey tbeachhead, I told you it was like an abusive husband, but with them two its now looking like incest. ?

Do you guys ever talk religion here, or just bash people?

OK. So tbeachhead calls you Joe. And you call him Bob. Is that wjo Taken was talking to? Not me?

Or are you calling me Bob too? Which tells me Mutt snd Jeff talk to each other outside of this site.

Hey tbeachhead, I told you it was like an abusive husband, but with them two its now looking like incest. ?

Do you guys ever talk religion here, or just bash people?
Sooo... is this your way of talking religion, or are you just bashing people?

Which tells me Mutt snd Jeff talk to each other outside of this site.
Besides you calling us names, disparaging and denegrating us..., whats wrong with talking to each other outside of this site, Bob?

Back