An interesting deconstruction of the Catholics' claim that Mary is analogous to the Ark of the Covenant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely you must be able to see the difference. Paul circumcised Timothy for the sake of the Gospel. Peter stood condemned for acting contrary to the Gospel.

Paul wanted to take him along on the journey, so he circumcised him because of the Jews who lived in that area, for they all knew that his father was a Greek. (Acts 16:3)
where does it say one must be circumcised to be a follower of Christ and be saved?

When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas in front of them all, "You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs?" (Gal. 2:14)

You are welcome.
where is the holy spirit in the verse?

where does it say one must be circumcised to be a follower of Christ and be saved?
The Bible says the opposite. Paul had Timothy circumcised in accordance with the principle that he outlines in 1 Cor. 9:20:

To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law.

It is not circumcision per se that concerns him. It is what this act represents that is the problem, namely a commitment to follow the Mosaic law for the sake of one's salvation.

Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. (Gal. 5:2–4)​

A pertinent text for all who claim that they are "trying."
Paul said, gal6: 15 Circumcision means nothing, the want of it means nothing; when a man is in Christ Jesus, there has been a new creation.

surely Paul and peter are guided by the holy spirit when teaching on matters of faith and morals but not in their wrong behavior.

where is the holy spirit in the verse?
Woah! Undermining the integrity and the authority of the Scriptures, are we? I happen to believe that every syllable of the Scriptures is inspired by the Holy Spirit. You do well to heed the instruction given by your "father" Augustine in his letter to Jerome:

But you will say it is better to believe that the Apostle Paul wrote what was not true, than to believe that the Apostle Peter did what was not right. On this principle, we must say (which far be it from us to say), that it is better to believe that the gospel history is false, than to believe that Christ was denied by Peter; and better to charge the book of Kings [second book of Samuel] with false statements, than believe that so great a prophet, and one so signally chosen by the Lord God as David was, committed adultery in lusting after and taking away the wife of another, and committed such detestable homicide in procuring the death of her husband. Better far that I should read with certainty and persuasion of its truth the Holy Scripture, placed on the highest (even the heavenly) pinnacle of authority, and should, without questioning the trustworthiness of its statements, learn from it that men have been either commended, or corrected, or condemned, than that, through fear of believing that by men, who, though of most praiseworthy excellence, were no more than men, actions deserving rebuke might sometimes be done, I should admit suspicions affecting the trustworthiness of the whole oracles of God.

Last edited:
Paul said, gal6: 15 Circumcision means nothing, the want of it means nothing; when a man is in Christ Jesus, there has been a new creation.

surely Paul and peter are guided by the holy spirit when teaching on matters of faith and morals but not in their wrong behavior.
When your behavior affects your teaching, your actions speak as loudly as your words. Peter stood condemned for acting contrary to the Gospel. He apparently learned his lesson (Acts 15) and subsequently defended the Gospel against the legalists. Deal with it.

The Bible says the opposite. Paul had Timothy circumcised in accordance with the principle that he outlines in 1 Cor. 9:20:

To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law.
i do not think paul meant that there are two gospels, one for the jews and one for the gentiles.
it was just one gospel, salvation by the grace of God. Mosaic laws are no longer a part of it.
paul meant to adapt oneself to whoever one is evangelizing, one must approach them in their own styles.

Woah! Undermining the integrity and the authority of the Scriptures, are we? I happen to believe that every syllable of the Scriptures is inspired by the Holy Spirit. You do well to heed the instruction given by your "father" Augustine in his letter to Jerome:

But you will say it is better to believe that the Apostle Paul wrote what was not true, than to believe that the Apostle Peter did what was not right. On this principle, we must say (which far be it from us to say), that it is better to believe that the gospel history is false, than to believe that Christ was denied by Peter; and better to charge the book of Kings [second book of Samuel] with false statements, than believe that so great a prophet, and one so signally chosen by the Lord God as David was, committed adultery in lusting after and taking away the wife of another, and committed such detestable homicide in procuring the death of her husband. Better far that I should read with certainty and persuasion of its truth the Holy Scripture, placed on the highest (even the heavenly) pinnacle of authority, and should, without questioning the trustworthiness of its statements, learn from it that men have been either commended, or corrected, or condemned, than that, through fear of believing that by men, who, though of most praiseworthy excellence, were no more than men, actions deserving rebuke might sometimes be done, I should admit suspicions affecting the trustworthiness of the whole oracles of God.
the inspiration of the holy spirit is on matters of faith and morals. it is not about sinlessness.
this is what augustine is saying, as humans we are subject to our weaknesses and can commit sin. but sinful men can be the instrument of God when guided by the Holy spirit.

When your behavior affects your teaching, your actions speak as loudly as your words. Peter stood condemned for acting contrary to the Gospel. He apparently learned his lesson (Acts 15) and subsequently defended the Gospel against the legalists. Deal with it.
yes, peter did not defend his wrong behavior.

In fact there is a prayer to one's guardian angel that some children (and even adults) say. And we have the very adult prayer:

"Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil; May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; And do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen."

(Note to dual reference to God.)
Praying to angels is just as bad as praying to dead saints. Angels aren't God. So this "dual reference to God" is immaterial. It is still a prayer to a creature and not to God almighty. Instead of praying to angels to defend us "by the power of God" why not just pray to GOD and ask HIM to defend us????

Now, let's tweak this prayer a bit:

"Lord Jesus Christ, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil; May You rebuke him, we humbly pray; And do thou, O King of the Heavenly Host, by your mighty power, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen."

So, is this prayer worship of Jesus Christ--or not, my Catholic friends?

Jesus is KING of the angels, since He created them! They are creatures! Hebrews says all of this about angels:

Last edited:
"Hail, Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with you. Blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus.

This is biblical.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death."

This is not.
Even the Hail Mary has a great deal to say about God the Father and God the Son. Prayers to Baal and any other false god totally ignore the true God.
But there are plenty of Marian prayers out there--like the prayers to "Our Lady of Perpetual Help" that are anything BUT intercessory! They plead for her for help, comfort, and even for salvation! Mary can't save us; ONLY faith in Jesus Christ CAN.

the inspiration of the holy spirit is on matters of faith and morals. it is not about sinlessness.
this is what augustine is saying, as humans we are subject to our weaknesses and can commit sin. but sinful men can be the instrument of God when guided by the Holy spirit.
I am talking about the inspiration of the Scriptures. What Paul wrote ("he stood condemned" etc.) was true because the Spirit moved him to write those words.

i do not think paul meant that there are two gospels, one for the jews and one for the gentiles.
it was just one gospel, salvation by the grace of God. Mosaic laws are no longer a part of it.
paul meant to adapt oneself to whoever one is evangelizing, one must approach them in their own styles.
Exactly. Which is why he circumcised Timothy so that they could evangelize to the Jews together.

But you are treating the absence of permission as if it were a prohibition. Do I need to illustrate this with an example of the very first prohibition from Genesis?

And you are treating this absence as consent. Do I need to give your the pedophilia example again?
The LORD God gave the man this order: You are free to eat from any of the trees of the garden except the tree of knowledge of good and evil. From that tree you shall not eat; when you eat from it you shall die.

The part in bold is a prohibition. The first part is a permission. God stated it to make it clear that it was a prohibition. If God had not said anything about that tree, would Adam and Eve have been obligated to leave it alone?

This is immaterial to our discussion and is just a diversionary tactic. Now, show us where God said it was hunky-dory to pray to anyone but HIM. Show us an example of this in the Bible, of any believer praying to anyone except God, in both the OT and NT. Instead, Paul tells us to "make known your requests to GOD." NOT to some saint dead in the Lord but to GOD.

Now, look at what our Lord Himself says in Luke 18--

Luke 18​

New International Version​

The Parable of the Persistent Widow​

18 Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. 2 He said: “In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared what people thought. 3 And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, ‘Grant me justice against my adversary.’
4 “For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, ‘Even though I don’t fear God or care what people think, 5 yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won’t eventually come and attack me!’”
6 And the Lord said, “Listen to what the unjust judge says. 7 And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to HIM day and night? Will he keep putting them off? 8 I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly.

Jesus talks about crying out to GOD day and night--not to some saint dead in the Lord--for help and justice.

Or to look an other activities besides prayer, where in the bible does God give permission to play golf, or to fly an airplane, or to watch TV.

These have nothing to do with praying or worship and you know it. Again, just a diversionary tactic.
I know, those things didn't exist at that time. But sailing did exist. Did God ever give permission to sail the ocean seas?

Nothing to do with religion or worshiping or praying to anyone but God.
No he didn't. But neither did he prohibit it.

The next time you are tempted to write "where in the Bible does it say we should do X?" please try to remember that even though permission to do X in the Bible is lacking, that does not mean X is prohibited. As to whether or not X should be done, the moral question will have to be decided in a more case-specific manner.

Please remember that even though a direct prohibition may not exist in the bible about something, that doesn't automatically mean permission. As I have stated before, the Bible isn't a theological dictionary or encyclopedia. It DEMONSTRATES what should or should not be done, without always giving a directive for or against it.
Yes, I did. Did you talk to the Mexican people about what Our Lady Guadalupe means to them and how it enhances their relationship with God?
No. I don't speak Spanish. But I was referring to the link to that Marian prayer, not the church in Mexico that we visited. Here is that Marian prayer YET AGAIN:

Behold, O Mother of Perpetual Help, at thy feet a wretched sinner, who has recourse to thee and trusts in thee. O Mother of mercy, have pity on me; I hear all men call thee the refuge and hope of sinners: be therefore my refuge and my hope. Help me for the love of Jesus Christ: hold out thy hand to a fallen wretch, who commends himself to thee and dedicates himself to be thy servant forever. I praise and thank God, who of His great mercy hath given me this confidence in thee, a sure pledge of my eternal salvation. Alas, it is only too true that in the past I have fallen miserably, because I did not come to thee. I know that with thy help I shall conquer; I know that thou wilt help me, if I commend myself to thee; but I am fearful lest in the occasions of sin I shall forget to call upon thee and so I shall be lost. This grace, then, do I ask of thee; for this I implore thee, as much as I can and know how to do; namely, that in the assaults of hell I may ever run to THY protection and may say to thee: Mary, help me; Mother of Perpetual Help, permit me not to lose my God.

DO note especially the bolded parts. Nothing intercessory about this prayer at ALL. Instead, it asks of Mary things only God can do and give! The part I find especially heinous is where this guy calls Mary the "sure pledge of my eternal salvation" when Paul says that the HS is given to us as a pledge of our salvation. So, right here in this prayer we have a lie. The prayer also calls Mary the "refuge and hope" of sinners, rendering Jesus as so much chopped liver.

But the central figure over the main altar in this church is MARY. NOT Jesus but MARY. A statue of Jesus is off to one side. Angel statues on either side of the altar point to Mary--NOT JESUS. I discussed it here and I agree with what this poster wrote in post no. 173:

MARY.

Shameful.

Last edited:
Now, Catholics will say that the prayer to Our Lady of Perpetual Help isn't worship of Mary, just pleading for her intercession, though I see nothing intercessory in it. But I am going to tweak it and make it a prayer to God:

Behold, O God of Perpetual Help, at thy feet a wretched sinner, who has recourse to thee and trusts in thee. O Father of mercy, have pity on me; I hear all men call thee the refuge and hope of sinners: be therefore my refuge and my hope. Help me for the love of Jesus Christ: hold out thy hand to a fallen wretch, who commends himself to thee and dedicates himself to be thy servant forever. I praise and thank You, who of Your great mercy has given me this confidence in thee, a sure pledge of my eternal salvation. Alas, it is only too true that in the past I have fallen miserably, because I did not come to thee. I know that with thy help I shall conquer; I know that thou wilt help me, if I commend myself to thee; but I am fearful lest in the occasions of sin I shall forget to call upon thee and so I shall be lost. This grace, then, do I ask of thee; for this I implore thee, as much as I can and know how to do; namely, that in the assaults of hell I may ever run to THY protection and may say to thee: Lord God help me; God of Perpetual Help, permit me not to lose faith in your Son, Jesus Christ!

Okay, Catholics, is this prayer worship of God or not?

Last edited:
When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas in front of them all, "You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs?" (Gal. 2:14)

You are welcome.
And of course, the Gentiles knew that Peter was one of the original 12 disciples of Jesus and had known and worked with Him for over 3 years, and seen Him after His resurrection. So, naturally, they would believe that he had authority and obey Peter when he told them they must live like Jews.

Wrongo. You make the claim....you back it up.
The claim I made was a negative. There is no prohibition against praying to the saints in heaven. When the claim is a negative ('there is no X') the burden is on the other side to disprove 'there is no X' by finding an X. In this case, X is a prohibition against praying to the dead. Perhaps you are equating my claim with the much stronger claim, namely, that there is explicit permission to pray for the dead. If I had made that claim (which is a positive statement) I would indeed be required to back it up. But I have not made that claim.

Already did that. Scripture condemns asking of the dead on behalf of the living.
No, the Scripture condemns the spiritualism practices of the pagan nations near by, which are described in detail in Scripture. But none of those descriptions match Catholic prayers to the saints.

Just when I think Catholics cannot say anything more insane, here we go.

Jesus Christ is NOT dead.
And just when I think my words cannot be misrepresented any more, here we go. I didn't say Jesus Christ is dead. I said that he has died. That is part of every Christian's creed. You should know that. I also said he rose from the dead. Did you forget that I said that too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back