Why do Calvinists have an unhealthy obsession with Calvin? Are they groupies? By the word of God alone, they were called Christians at Antioch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obsessed with the truth of God's word , his love and provision for all men
The boastful shall not stand before your eyes; you hate all evildoers.[Psalm 5:5]

The LORD tests the righteous, but his soul hates the wicked and the one who loves violence.[Psalm 11:5]

There are six things that the LORD hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.[Proverbs 6:16-19]

Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.[John 3:36]

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth.[Romans 1:18]

Go peddle your lies elsewhere.

The boastful shall not stand before your eyes; you hate all evildoers.[Psalm 5:5]

The LORD tests the righteous, but his soul hates the wicked and the one who loves violence.[Psalm 11:5]

There are six things that the LORD hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.[Proverbs 6:16-19]

Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.[John 3:36]

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth.[Romans 1:18]

Go peddle your lies elsewhere.
You are the one peddling lies so perhaps you better pay attention to the verse you are quoting

God's love and provision for all is clearly seen in Christ's death for the world

Last edited:
It appears that they feel that what Calvin wrote is pretty much equal to the one and ONLY complete, and accurate interpretation of God's WORD.

Simple as that.

Y'all hold to a lot of what Jacob Arminius taught. So I guess you feel what Arminius wrote is pretty much equal to the one and ONLY complete, and accurate interpretation of God's WORD? We would never lay that charge at your doorstep, so why do you feel the need to do that to us?

Y'all hold to a lot of what Jacob Arminius taught. So I guess you feel what Arminius wrote is pretty much equal to the one and ONLY complete, and accurate interpretation of God's WORD? We would never lay that charge at your doorstep, so why do you feel the need to do that to us?
I'm a non-systematic eclectic, so I don't need either systematic. My Denomination is Arminian (assemblies of God) but I don't hold that against 'em.

IF a Calvinist DOESN'T THINK their "Systematic" is the most accurate, why do they defend it so strongly????
We think that systematic theology is the closest representation to what the scriptures teach. But to say "It appears that they feel that what Calvin wrote is pretty much equal to the one and ONLY complete, and accurate interpretation of God's WORD." Is patently false and misleading to others who are on the outside looking in. We do not hold either the 1646 or the 1689 on par with God's holy word.

We think that systematic theology is the closest representation to what the scriptures teach. But to say "It appears that they feel that what Calvin wrote is pretty much equal to the one and ONLY complete, and accurate interpretation of God's WORD." Is patently false and misleading to others who are on the outside looking in. We do not hold either the 1646 or the 1689 on par with God's holy word.
Why not just stay with scriptur?

So you aren't an authority, and we can summarily dismiss everything as the worthless garbage that it is.

Thanks for the confirmation.
The word of God alone.

So Dec 25 is not Christ's birthday and no one celebrated the anniversary of it in scripture.
No one baptized infants at all.
No one called themselves after a man,
Sunday is not the first day of the week, the sabbath, the Christian sabbath, the Lord's day or a holy day.
There are no holy days.
No one signed membership agreements.
Christ was not crucified on Good Friday and was not Palm Sunday .
No one had the title or was called the pastor, our pastor, your pastor, their pastor, Pastor SoAndSo or Reverend.
No one had the title or was called the bishop, our bishop, your bishop, their bishop, Bishop SoAndSo or Reverend.
No one had multiple versions of THE word of God, THE Bible.
No one kept Lent or Advent or St Valentine's Day (Cupid's day).

Good observation about Calvin. Frankly, while in the pretend world of cyberspace maybe it appears everyone claiming to be a "Calvinist" has an alter to John Calvin in their basement, in actuality Calvin isn't really that widely read by the average Calvinist layman. The average Calvinist layman reads their Bible, goes to church, listens to a few podcasts, and reads a wide variety of Reformed authors (if they actually actively read at all). In my own church, I suspect most of the people attending have never read anything by John Calvin.

It's interesting (to me) that I've come across many folks here over the years... that don't like the concept of systematic theology, particularly when it's in the form of a creed or confession of faith. Two observations:

1. Every person, whether they like it or not, has a "system" of theology. It's either some sort of personal thing, or it relies on the collected wisdom of great minds, working together. I fall in the later category. I'll stand with those who would rather benefit from the hard work of others who have come before me.

2. Those people particularly that don't like systematic theology, particularly when it's in the form of a creed or confession of faith, are not so much against "systematic theology"... they are against what's in the systematic theology.

The word of God alone.

So Dec 25 is not Christ's birthday and no one celebrated the anniversary of it in scripture.
No one baptized infants at all.
No one called themselves after a man,
Sunday is not the first day of the week, the sabbath, the Christian sabbath, the Lord's day or a holy day.
There are no holy days.
No one signed membership agreements.
Christ was not crucified on Good Friday and was not Palm Sunday .
No one had the title or was called the pastor, our pastor, your pastor, their pastor, Pastor SoAndSo or Reverend.
No one had the title or was called the bishop, our bishop, your bishop, their bishop, Bishop SoAndSo or Reverend.
No one had multiple versions of THE word of God, THE Bible.
No one kept Lent or Advent or St Valentine's Day (Cupid's day).
No one in the Bible spoke in English or had a King James Bible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back