Prayers to Mary

Why do RC's believe that prayers to their Roman Catholic Mary are better than prayers to any other saint, or better than any other kind of prayer?
OBVIOUSLY they think that if they get their "Mary thing" on their side (Because she's more "understanding" and "compassionate"), then they'll get what they want, since Jesus would NEVER SAY NO to his mom.

Typical PAGAN Catholic reasoning. WHO CARES WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS about prayer. Roman Catholic "Tradition" trumps the Word of God any day of the week, and TWICE on Sunday!!!!

OBVIOUSLY they think that if they get their "Mary thing" on their side (Because she's more "understanding" and "compassionate"), then they'll get what they want, since Jesus would NEVER SAY NO to his mom.

Typical PAGAN Catholic reasoning. WHO CARES WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS about prayer. Roman Catholic "Tradition" trumps the Word of God any day of the week, and TWICE on Sunday!!!!
We were always taught Mary was our mother, softer and easier to approach.

Were you taught from the Baltimore catechism? Or some other catechism?
Not American. I do not have a copy of the catechism we used. Threw it away, so much rubbish. We were taught by nuns, I went to a convent school.

So you are saying Mary as our mother, is no longer taught?

Is one catechism better or worse than another?

501 Jesus is Mary's only son, but her spiritual motherhood extends to all men whom indeed he came to save: "The Son whom she brought forth is he whom God placed as the first-born among many brethren, that is, the faithful in whose generation and formation she co-operates with a mother's love."

from marian.org/mary/in-the-catechism

969 "This motherhood of Mary in the order of grace continues uninterruptedly from the consent which she loyally gave at the Annunciation and which she sustained without wavering beneath the cross, until the eternal fulfilment of all the elect. Taken up to heaven she did not lay aside this saving office but by her manifold intercession continues to bring us the gifts of eternal salvation .... Therefore the Blessed Virgin is invoked in the Church under the titles of Advocate, Helper, Benefactress, and Mediatrix.

970 "Mary's function as mother of men in no way obscures or diminishes this unique mediation of Christ, but rather shows its power. But the Blessed Virgin's salutary influence on men . . . flows forth from the superabundance of the merits of Christ, rests on his mediation, depends entirely on it, and draws all its power from it." "No creature could ever be counted along with the Incarnate Word and Redeemer; but just as the priesthood of Christ is shared in various ways both by his ministers and the faithful, and as the one goodness of God is radiated in different ways among his creatures, so also the unique mediation of the Redeemer does not exclude but rather gives rise to a manifold cooperation which is but a sharing in this one source."

Last edited:
Not American. I do not have a copy of the catechism we used. Threw it away, so much rubbish. We were taught by nuns, I went to a convent school.

So you are saying Mary as our mother, is no longer taught?

Is one catechism better or worse than another?

501 Jesus is Mary's only son, but her spiritual motherhood extends to all men whom indeed he came to save: "The Son whom she brought forth is he whom God placed as the first-born among many brethren, that is, the faithful in whose generation and formation she co-operates with a mother's love."

from marian.org/mary/in-the-catechism

969 "This motherhood of Mary in the order of grace continues uninterruptedly from the consent which she loyally gave at the Annunciation and which she sustained without wavering beneath the cross, until the eternal fulfilment of all the elect. Taken up to heaven she did not lay aside this saving office but by her manifold intercession continues to bring us the gifts of eternal salvation .... Therefore the Blessed Virgin is invoked in the Church under the titles of Advocate, Helper, Benefactress, and Mediatrix.

970 "Mary's function as mother of men in no way obscures or diminishes this unique mediation of Christ, but rather shows its power. But the Blessed Virgin's salutary influence on men . . . flows forth from the superabundance of the merits of Christ, rests on his mediation, depends entirely on it, and draws all its power from it." "No creature could ever be counted along with the Incarnate Word and Redeemer; but just as the priesthood of Christ is shared in various ways both by his ministers and the faithful, and as the one goodness of God is radiated in different ways among his creatures, so also the unique mediation of the Redeemer does not exclude but rather gives rise to a manifold cooperation which is but a sharing in this one source."
Nowhere in what you posted does it claim that Mary is "easier to approach" than Christ. Nowhere in the Baltimore Catechism, or the current Catechism, does it encourage anyone to pray to the saints in lieu of Christ, for any reason, and especially not because we "shouldn't bother Jesus", or that "Jesus is mean", or any other nonsense. I don't care that you learned that from the nuns. It's not official Catholic teaching

Nowhere in what you posted does it claim that Mary is "easier to approach" than Christ. Nowhere in the Baltimore Catechism, or the current Catechism, does it encourage anyone to pray to the saints in lieu of Christ, for any reason, and especially not because we "shouldn't bother Jesus", or that "Jesus is mean", or any other nonsense. I don't care that you learned that from the nuns. It's not official Catholic teaching
You are misrepresenting what I posted in post 63, no surprise it is the RC way. Deception is their main defence.

I never said every word was in the catechism, please show where I said that in post 63. Your diverted to the catechism which teaches Mary is our mother.

The lyrics of some of the most-loved Marian hymns shed light on why Mary is not only warmly loved and respected as a mother figure from Catholic Faith Store

Benefits of praying to Mary - The virgin Mary is a mother herself, and just like any other mother, she has the motherly instinct to protect her children. Not only can she pray for our protection against harm but also against temptations and the works of the enemy from our lady devotion.org

From National catholic register:

I leave you with what saints and popes have said about the rosary:

• “If I had an army to say the Rosary, I could conquer the world.” —Blessed Pope Pius IX
  • “The Rosary is the weapon.” —St. Padre Pio
  • “The Rosary is my favorite prayer." —Pope St. John Paul II
  • “The greatest method of praying is to pray the Rosary.” —St. Francis de Sales
  • “When the Holy Rosary is said well, it gives Jesus and Mary more glory and is more meritorious than any other prayer.” —St. Louis de Montfort
  • “The Rosary is the most excellent form of prayer and the most efficacious means of attaining eternal life. It is the remedy for all our evils, the root of all our blessings. There is no more excellent way of praying.” —Pope Leo XIII
  • “Pray very much the prayers of the Rosary. I alone am able to save you from the calamities.” —Mary in Akita, Japan
  • “If you want to reach these hardened souls and win them over to God, preach my Rosary.” —Our Lady to St. Dominic
  • “It was not courage, not arms, not leaders, but Mary of the Rosary that made us victors.” —Venetian Senators after Battle of Lepanto
  • “The Rosary is a prayer both so humble and simple and a theologically rich in biblical content. I beg you to pray it.” —Pope St. John Paul II

From National catholic register:

I leave you with what saints and popes have said about the rosary:

• “If I had an army to say the Rosary, I could conquer the world.” —Blessed Pope Pius IX
  • “The Rosary is the weapon.” —St. Padre Pio
  • “The Rosary is my favorite prayer." —Pope St. John Paul II
  • “The greatest method of praying is to pray the Rosary.” —St. Francis de Sales
  • “When the Holy Rosary is said well, it gives Jesus and Mary more glory and is more meritorious than any other prayer.” —St. Louis de Montfort
  • “The Rosary is the most excellent form of prayer and the most efficacious means of attaining eternal life. It is the remedy for all our evils, the root of all our blessings. There is no more excellent way of praying.” —Pope Leo XIII
  • “Pray very much the prayers of the Rosary. I alone am able to save you from the calamities.” —Mary in Akita, Japan
  • “If you want to reach these hardened souls and win them over to God, preach my Rosary.” —Our Lady to St. Dominic
  • “It was not courage, not arms, not leaders, but Mary of the Rosary that made us victors.” —Venetian Senators after Battle of Lepanto
  • “The Rosary is a prayer both so humble and simple and a theologically rich in biblical content. I beg you to pray it.” —Pope St. John Paul II
Sounds good to me. They're all individual opinions, and none of them say to pray the Rosary instead of praying directly to God

Sounds good to me. They're all individual opinions, and none of them say to pray the Rosary instead of praying directly to God

There is no shortage of RC webpages dedicated to teaching RC's how to pray the rosary, a person only need to do a google search. And when people do say the rosary, the main focus is on mary, NOT God. There should never be prayers to mary or any other dead saint. And if you go through this forum, people have posted prayers to mary ad nauseam.

So please don't tell me that the RCC does not encourage praying the rosary, or mary worship. This might of been easily explained away before social media came into use. But now, it is not so easy to explain away, when there are web pages, photo's and video's galore online.

There is no shortage of RC webpages dedicated to teaching RC's how to pray the rosary, a person only need to do a google search. And when people do say the rosary, the main focus is on mary, NOT God.
Wrong. The focus are the mysteries, which for the most part are events in the life of Christ. If you actually read any of those webpages, I'm sure you would learn that.
So please don't tell me that the RCC does not encourage praying the rosary, or mary worship.
i never claimed that praying the rosary isnt encouraged. I would accuse you of deception as your fellow posters have done about me, if i had as little integrity. And "mary worship" is not what is encouraged.
This might of been easily explained away before social media came into use. But now, it is not so easy to explain away, when there are web pages, photo's and video's galore online.

Really, they don't need to, I never suggested they did. Twisting my posts like usual, it is the RC way, deception.
Then I would recommend clarifying your position so I don't have to assume what your point is. What was your point in saying that you were taught that Mary was softer and easier to approach (post 63)?

Really, they don't need to, I never suggested they did. Twisting my posts like usual, it is the RC way, deception.
No twisting at all, just commenting on the post, which didn't make any kind of argument, or ask any questions. And please be careful with those blanket accusations. Being accused of deception is the same as being accused of lying, and I don't care for being falsely accused of lying.

Then I would recommend clarifying your position so I don't have to assume what your point is. What was your point in saying that you were taught that Mary was softer and easier to approach (post 63)?
Yes well making assumptions is the mistake of most RCs and you seem to be an RC expert. By the way what was the old name you used.

I was clear, I never said I was quoting the catechism. You misrepresented my post deliberately and you are now compounding that deliberate misrepresentation. From good reads:

Assumptions are dangerous things to make, and like all dangerous things to make -- bombs, for instance, or strawberry shortcake -- if you make even the tiniest mistake you can find yourself in terrible trouble. Making assumptions simply means believing things are a certain way with little or no evidence that shows you are correct, and you can see at once how this can lead to terrible trouble. For instance, one morning you might wake up and make the assumption that your bed was in the same place that it always was, even though you would have no real evidence that this was so. But when you got out of your bed, you might discover that it had floated out to sea, and now you would be in terrible trouble all because of the incorrect assumption that you'd made. You can see that it is better not to make too many assumptions, particularly in the morning.”
― Lemony Snicket, The Austere Academy

No twisting at all, just commenting on the post, which didn't make any kind of argument, or ask any questions. And please be careful with those blanket accusations. Being accused of deception is the same as being accused of lying, and I don't care for being falsely accused of lying.
No you made assumptions then deliberately misrepresented by posts, diverting and covering up. Now you are deliberately covering up what you did. Well you are the expert in making assumptions and reading into things.

No you made assumptions then deliberately misrepresented by posts, diverting and covering up. Now you are deliberately covering up what you did. Well you are the expert in making assumptions and reading into things.
So clarify your post for me then. I've already asked once

Back