Learning to become a god

No, you've reading your dogma into the text. You seemingly can't distinguish the difference.

No, that is your worthless straw-man by which you want to misrepresent me.

Besides, all I've done is quote Scripture.
YOU are the one projecting your "Mormon" dogma onto them.

Not at all. I'm referencing the history of the Bible was formed, and the development of so-called "hermeneutical principle that most Christians learn early on".

Correct hermeneutical principles are independent of doctrines.

We don't need to go into the meta of the discussion.

Then why do you keep wasting everyone's time doing it?

If I have time this weekend, I'll go through our discussion showing the questions you've asked, my answers to the questions you asked, the points I've made, which you've ignored, and the questions I've asked you that you've dismissed.

Why not simply engage in the topic?

No, actually, I'm not. You've defined monotheism, as "only one 'god' exists", and to declare otherwise is polytheism.

Okay... Are you unaware that "mono" means "only"?
Are you unaware that "theism" refers to "theos" (ie. "god")?
Are you unaware that "poly" means "many" (ie. more than one)?
Or are you unaware of ALL of this?

You also continue to IGNORE the fact that "monotheism" is 100% Biblical:

John 5:44 ... καὶ τὴν δόξαν τὴν παρὰ τοῦ μόνου θεοῦ οὐ ζητεῖτε;​
1Tim. 1:17 τῷ δὲ βασιλεῖ τῶν αἰώνων, ἀφθάρτῳ ἀοράτῳ μόνῳ θεῷ, ...​
Jude 25 μόνῳ θεῷ σωτῆρι ἡμῶν διὰ Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν ...​

It this extreme definition that has forced the discussion to where it currently is.

"Extreme"?!

From dictionary.com:

monotheism

[ mon-uh-thee-iz-uhm ]
noun
  1. the doctrine or belief that there is only one God.​
From Webster's Dictionary:

MON'OTHEISM, noun [Gr. only, and God.] The doctrine or belief of the existence of one God only.

Do you consider these "extreme" dictionaries?

No one is arguing the covenant people worshipped, or should have worshipped only one God, though, those given God's authority were called 'god'.

But you are changing the context!
The context is NOT "how many gods should we WORSHIP?"
The context is, "How many gods EXIST?"

You've destroyed any good faith in this discussion, and I'm tired of this stupid game you're playing.

So bow out, if that's how you feel.

You're simply wrong.

<Chuckle>
You are so INCREDIBLY insecure in your beliefs, that you have to keep trying to brainwash yourself into thinking you're right.
You're a joke.

Any objective observer can see this.

Then stop TELLING them what YOU want them to believe.
Let them make up their own minds.

*drops the mic, walks off the stage*

Wow.
You really are full of yourself, aren't you?

It's INCREDIBLY cringy to describe YOURSELF as "mic dropping".
Incredibly cringe.
You are SO incredibly insecure.

Correct hermeneutical principles are independent of doctrines.
Ok. Let's look at some of those principles and see how well you've complied:

Here's 7 according to lifeway.com:
1. Identify the kind of literature your text is for insight into its meaning.
2. Consider the context of the passage for a better understanding of its meaning.
3. Read the text for its plain and obvious meaning.
4. Try to discern the writer’s intentions when he wrote the text.
5. Look carefully at the language of the text for what it reveals about its meaning.
6. Notice the various theological themes in the text.
7. Always take a God-centered perspective for interpreting your text.

Based on our discussion, I can see how you've violated atleast 4 these.
"Extreme"?!

From dictionary.com:

monotheism

[ mon-uh-thee-iz-uhm ]
noun
  1. the doctrine or belief that there is only one God.​
From Webster's Dictionary:

MON'OTHEISM, noun [Gr. only, and God.] The doctrine or belief of the existence of one God only.

Do you consider these "extreme" dictionaries?
That's an overly simplistic explanation.
The encyclopedia Britannica recognizes that there's a spectrum of exclusive monotheism to unlimited polytheism.

But you are changing the context!
The context is NOT "how many gods should we WORSHIP?"
The context is, "How many gods EXIST?"
So if we're taking out the element of worship, and identify those that were called "gods", we can see, as Paul declares, many that we're called "gods". "gods" being defined as those given God-given authority to assist him in His work.
It's INCREDIBLY cringy to describe YOURSELF as "mic dropping".
Not quite as cringy as proclaiming myself as "the arbiter of truth". or declaring someone a heretic because they try and ridicule you.

Ok. Let's look at some of those principles and see how well you've complied:

2. Consider the context of the passage for a better understanding of its meaning.
5. Look carefully at the language of the text for what it reveals about its meaning.

Based on our discussion, I can see how you've violated atleast 4 these.

Well, I respectfully disagree.
But I see how you've violated ALL SEVEN of them.

Now what?

That's an overly simplistic explanation.
The encyclopedia Britannica recognizes that there's a spectrum of exclusive monotheism to unlimited polytheism.

Really?
So first of all, you're saying that "unlimited polytheism" is on the "monotheism" ("one god") spectrum?! You realize how ridiculous that is, don't you?

Second of all, not only do I not recognize EB as a "theological" authority, but they dabble in EVERYTHING. It's like being diagnosed with cancer, and refusing to go to an oncologist, but sticking with your "general" practitioner.

"Monotheism" is one one extreme end of the "theism" spectrum, with "pantheism" being on the other extreme.

Fun Fact: Pagans called the first Christians, "a-theists", since they rejected the Greek and Roman pantheons of 100's of gods, and only worshipped one (which is almost none).

So if we're taking out the element of worship, and identify those that were called "gods", we can see, as Paul declares, many that we're called "gods". "gods" being defined as those given God-given authority to assist him in His work.

No, and this is PROOF that you ignore all the rules of hermeneutics you listed, and simply project Mormonism onto the text. Paul NEVER defined those "called gods" (1 Cor. 8:5) as "those being God-given authority to assist him in His work". He defined them as "idols" who "have no real existence" (v.4).

Btw, maybe you're going to be willing to answer the questions that Gordon refuses to:

Was "Baal" someone "given God-given authority to assist him in his work"?
Was "Ashtoreth" someone "given God-given authority to assist him in his work"?
Was "Zeus" someone "given God-given authority to assist him in his work"?
Was "Apollo" someone "given God-given authority to assist him in his work"?
Was "Hermes" someone "given God-given authority to assist him in his work"?

Not quite as cringy as proclaiming myself as "the arbiter of truth".

You asked, I answered.
I'm sorry you don't like the answer, but I'm not going to lie to you, since I'm a Christian.
If you don't like the answer, then don't ask the question.

or declaring someone a heretic because they try and ridicule you.

Gal. 4:16 Have I then become your enemy by telling you the truth?

I'm sorry if you're not aware of this, "ridiculing" someone is NOT a fruit of the Spirit of God.

No, you've reading your dogma into the text. You seemingly can't distinguish the difference.

Not at all. I'm referencing the history of the Bible was formed, and the development of so-called "hermeneutical principle that most Christians learn early on".

We don't need to go into the meta of the discussion. If I have time this weekend, I'll go through our discussion showing the questions you've asked, my answers to the questions you asked, the points I've made, which you've ignored, and the questions I've asked you that you've dismissed.

No, actually, I'm not. You've defined monotheism, as "only one 'god' exists", and to declare otherwise is polytheism.
It this extreme definition that has forced the discussion to where it currently is.

We seem to be carrying the discussion across multiple threads, but go back to this post:

No one is arguing the covenant people worshipped, or should have worshipped only one God, though, those given God's authority were called 'god'.
No, I'm not. This is just another tangent, where, regardless of what I say, you'll dismiss it as "worthless rhetoric", pretend there is no answer, or find any justification to find a reason I'm wrong. You've destroyed any good faith in this discussion, and I'm tired of this stupid game you're playing. You're simply wrong. Any objective observer can see this. Anyone who denies it is simply bias.

Oh, the drama of it all.

No, I'm not. This is just another tangent, where, regardless of what I say, you'll dismiss it as "worthless rhetoric",

I'm just calling it like I see it.
You do it all the time, but I'm not allowed to do it?
How many double standards do you have, alerady?

I'm not saying you have to agree that your worthless rhetoric is worthless rhetoric.
That's fine. Nobody cares about your opinion anyway.

I'm not here for you, I'm here for the lurkers.
(I also seem to be an encouragement for the other Christians, so...)

Let me tell you a little parable, okay?

You have a kid, and they're given a solo during the school Christmas concert.
Your kid sings off-key, messes up half-the lyrics, and farts half way through her solo.
Then when the audience laughs at her, she throws some F-bombs at them.
At the end she goes, "Mic drop!", and then struts off stage.

As a parent, would you be proud?
Or would you be embarrassed?

Okay, let's try something, shall we?

2 Sam. 7:22 ... neither is there any God besides thee,

I see "existence" there ("is").
What I do NOT see is "worship" in the passage.

2 Sam. 22:32 For who is God, save the LORD?

1 Kings 8:60 ... the LORD is God, and that there is none else.

1 Chr. 17:20 ... neither is there any God besides thee,

Isa. 43:10 ... before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

I see "existence" there ("formed").

Isa. 44:6 ... besides me there is no God.

Isa. 44:8 ... Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.

Isa. 45:5
I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: ...

I see "existence" there ("am", "is").

Isa. 45:21 ... there is no God else besides me;

Isa. 45:22 ... for I am God, and there is none else.

Isa. 46:9 ... I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,

Jer. 10:10 But the LORD is the true God, ...

Joel 2:27 ... I am the LORD your God, and none else:

I see "existence" there ("am").

Mark 12:32 ... for there is one God; and there is none other but he:

1Cor. 8:4 ... there is none other God but one.

1 Tim. 2:5 For there is one God, ...

James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: ...

Gal. 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
1Pet. 3:8 Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind.

And that's EXACTLY what I've done.
Can you be more constructive? Or are you going to be just contrarian?
Your saying "gods" don't exist, because they're not real, or they don't exist, and if anyone believes they do, their polytheist.

It's really quite simple.
I'm saying the term "gods", a term used in the Bible refers to people with a authority. Ps 82, Exo 7:1
Ive used multiple sources to prove this. I've even used your own words.
So-called "gods" can be people with authority in government, other people that set themselves up. You, yourself, also referred to the lord's of Roman government. Clearly, they exist.
"gods" can be engraved images, or anything that people serve, like money or possession. These exist in a spiritual sense.

You've defined monotheist in the belief in one God, regardless of the status of worship or not. I'm saying one can be monotheistic is the see other "gods", such as Moses was to Pharaoh, or angels, etc. are essentially extensions of the Most High God. You pick an extreme very limited version, I use a more liberal definition. Your definition is what makes the Godhead into three seperate Gods, my definition makes them into a singular entity.
And I"ve never done that.
Yes. You have and you are. Your saying "monotheism" is a basic tenet of Christian theology, when it's actually a standard Greeks, which is why Romans considered Jews atheist, which is what I pointed out, and you will later acknowledge yourself in posts after this one I'm replying to.
That's YOUR fallacious red herring.
Eh, yes, technically, it's a change of topic, but very important to acknowledge of why your pushing this argument of monotheism in thr first place. It shows you're ignoring the original concepts that Hebrews believed.
You haven't.
Isn't it interersting... Mormons keep claiming they've "answered [our questions", but an exhaustive reading thorugh the threads proves that false, and Mormons NEVER repeat an answer that was "already answered", nor do they ever link to where the question was first allegedly "answered".
Multiple points have raised, and you want me to do the work to do all the summarizing the entire discussion, when you could simply do it yourself. Well, maybe if I have time, I will. But usually when I make such efforts, you blow it off and never acknowledge it, so it's generally not my time.
And they won't even answer a simple yes/no question, they'll simply claim they've alreaady answered it (which, ironically, takes more time to type than either "yes" or "no").
That' because you're attempting to created yet another tangent when all you've done is walk away or special plead. Mormons don't believe your asking the question in good faith, your just trying to attack from a different angle, but my perfectionism will probably cause me to give in to your stupid request anyway so I can stand blameless of not acknowledging your questions.
Yes, money can be a "god". But it is not deity, a true God, it exists as money (or in Christ's day, as coins).
Doh! You just acknowledged it exists. By your own strict definition that your holding against us, your a polytheist!
A golden calf can be a "god". But it is not deity, a true God, it exsts as an animal-shaped statue made out of gold, not a true "god".
Doh! You did it again! By you own strict definition that your holding against us, your a polytheist!
So no, I didn't "realize" you were allegedly right, because you're not.
You're simply playing stupid word games.
I'm not playing stupid word games. Go back and read the discussion, Gordon acknowledged "gods" exist, and he's being called a polytheist.
Now, once again, are you going to address my question?:
Fine!
1Cor. 8:4 Therefore, as to the eating of food offered to idols, we know that “an idol has no real existence,” and that “there is no God but one.” 5 For although there may be so-called gods in heaven or on earth—as indeed there are many “gods” and many “lords”—

1) Where is your evidence that Paul allegedly "changed topics" between v.4 and v.5?
It wasn't a change of topic, per se, it's a clarification.
The primary theme of 1st Corinthians is addressing the difference divisions and strife among church members.
In chapter 8, he's starting to take about food sacrifices, those eating food sacrificed to idols are being accused of idol worship, but the accused are saying "it's just meat", but Paul's overall message is "to avoid the appearance of evil".
So, in verse one, he's introducing the food topic, stated explicitly in verse 1. In verse 1 he also makes a comment of how when we think we know something, we get prideful, and charity diminishes.
In verse 2, he expound on that side comment saying essentially "Your not as smart as you think you are".
In verse 3, he's wrapping up that line of thought by saying "God knows hearts of men"
In verse 4, he's siding with those that are eating the meat, acknowledging that an idol is nothing, and there's only one God. (He'll correct them in later verses talking about how they're causing stumbling blocks for others)
In verse 5, he's acknowledging the nuance that though idols are nothing they still technically exist, just as people and things may be labeled as "gods" or "lords", both physically and spiritually - since some people recognize them as such.
In verse 6, he's clarifying what Christians believe. That there is one God, from whom all things came, and who we exist for. AND one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through we exist. (Acknowledging we are born again through Christ, and we live for God).
So, between 4 and 5. Verse 4's focus is the nothingness of idols, and verse 5's focus is a clarifying statement, that although they as nothing, they also technically exist because they recognize them as such.
2) What does the word, "for" mean at the beginning of v.5?
Look at the Greek on Biblehub, the Greek word for "for" is the particle to assign a reason. Which supports my interpretation that he's going to make a clarifying statement.
3) Does the "for" at the beginning of v.5 indicate a relation between v.4 and v.5?
Yes. Verse 5 is going to introduce the nuance of verse 4.
4) If so, what is the relationship?
One clarifying the other.
"What is the 'therefore' there for?
In verse 4? After making a point about how Christians are supposed to live, he's getting specific on eating food sacrificed to idols.
He wasn't.
And the conjunction, "for" proves it.
What is your evidencd that he WAS switching topics
Yes, we probably agree on this. That's what I was saying. That's why this is a useless tangent. I never postulated that it was a change in topic, you're the one that brought it up, not me. it's just another position you painted on me, because you want to be right on .... SOMETHING. And I said we've already covered this when you acknowledged "Kaiser Kurios" - so called "gods" people serve. They're not the God we serve, but in the minds of others, they do exist perceptually in the form of engraven images or actual people.
You're saying because I actually acknowledge that fact, I'm a "polytheist", and I'm saying that's rediculous, but given your extremist definition of monotheism, we could compromise and say "Henotheism", which you'd need to prove as sinful in the Bible. So, I gave evidence that that was the original disposition of Israelites - that "other gods" existed in the 1st commandment sense, and monotheism is standard that was introduced but Greco-Roman culture. To know avail, you're still going disagree with me.
Maybe you should focus more on 1Cor 8:1-3 rather than verses 4 and 5.

Last edited:
Well, I respectfully disagree.
But I see how you've violated ALL SEVEN of them.

Now what?
Childish one-up-ness
Really?
So first of all, you're saying that "unlimited polytheism" is on the "monotheism" ("one god") spectrum?! You realize how ridiculous that is, don't you?
No. Here you're just illustrating your lack of ability to see things a different way. Monotheism can be abstractified that multiple "gods" can be extensions and manifestations of the singular God. It's technically how Buddhism sees the "oneness" of everything.
"Monotheism" is one one extreme end of the "theism" spectrum, with "pantheism" being on the other extreme.

Fun Fact: Pagans called the first Christians, "a-theists", since they rejected the Greek and Roman pantheons of 100's of gods, and only worshipped one (which is almost none).
It's rather annoying that you cite a point I already identified and introduce it as if you came up with yourself, and that I was clueless about it. Tacky.
No, and this is PROOF that you ignore all the rules of hermeneutics you listed, and simply project Mormonism onto the text. Paul NEVER defined those "called gods" (1 Cor. 8:5) as "those being God-given authority to assist him in His work". He defined them as "idols" who "have no real existence" (v.4).
Not necessarily true. He was including references to people evidenced by later recognizing the persons of God and Jesus Christ.
Btw, maybe you're going to be willing to answer the questions that Gordon refuses to:

Was "Baal" someone "given God-given authority to assist him in his work"?
No, but people recognize him as an entity they served. He was real in the sense that he existed as a false God, in opposition to the true God.
Was "Ashtoreth" someone "given God-given authority to assist him in his work"?
Was "Zeus" someone "given God-given authority to assist him in his work"?
Was "Apollo" someone "given God-given authority to assist him in his work"?
Was "Hermes" someone "given God-given authority to assist him in his work"?
Same answer for all of these.
To clarify my previous definition, "gods" are those with authority, or perceived authority.
The "gods" in Ps. 82 were given authority by God. Just as you think you're the "god of biblical interpretation" and anymore how chuckles at that notion has committed blaspheme.
Faithful Mormons, per D&C 132, will be "gods" in the sense that they will be given permanent authority within God's Kingdom.
Matt 25:21 "His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord"
You asked, I answered.
I'm sorry you don't like the answer, but I'm not going to lie to you, since I'm a Christian.
It was the wrong answer, because your reasoning in contradictory. All you did was show your lack of intellectual humility.
If you don't like the answer, then don't ask the question.
Are you kidding? I loved the answer! And I love the fact that you're doubling down on it. I'll be using it to beat you over the head for a while, until you can gain some humility.
Gal. 4:16 Have I then become your enemy by telling you the truth?

I'm sorry if you're not aware of this, "ridiculing" someone is NOT a fruit of the Spirit of God.
I think identifying truth in a humorous way is an exceptional Christlike attribute. The inability to laugh at yourself and admit you're a bit over your skis, that you actually consider yourself equal to God in omniscience, couldn't be any more anti-christian.

Last edited:
Okay, let's try something, shall we?

2 Sam. 7:22 ... neither is there any God besides thee,

2 Sam. 22:32 For who is God, save the LORD?

1 Kings 8:60 ... the LORD is God, and that there is none else.

1 Chr. 17:20 ... neither is there any God besides thee,

Isa. 43:10 ... before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

I see "existence" there ("formed").

Isa. 44:6 ... besides me there is no God.

Isa. 44:8 ... Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.

Isa. 45:5 I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: ...

Isa. 45:21 ... there is no God else besides me;

Isa. 45:22 ... for I am God, and there is none else.

Isa. 46:9 ... I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,

Jer. 10:10 But the LORD is the true God, ...

Joel 2:27 ... I am the LORD your God, and none else:

I see "existence" there ("am").

Mark 12:32 ... for there is one God; and there is none other but he:

1Cor. 8:4 ... there is none other God but one.

1 Tim. 2:5 For there is one God, ...

James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: ...

This is another red herring. The discussion isn't about who God is, but who/what "gods" are.
We all agree that though there many be those who we serve with real or perceived authority, we are essentially serving God.

Ephesians 6:
5 Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ; 6 Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart; 7 With good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men

In the context of this discussion, "them that are your masters" could wear the label "gods" as I have defined it, and consider it biblically congruent.

Gal. 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
True. I haven't seen this from you at all, and I can improve on it myself. It's sometimes challenging in a heated discussion. What measure ye mete..
1Pet. 3:8 Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind.
Says the one who declared himself "the arbiter of truth", and contrarian on everything I say. Wow! Just...wow!

True. I haven't seen this from you at all, and I can improve on it myself. It's sometimes challenging in a heated discussion. What measure ye mete..

Says the one who declared himself "the arbiter of truth", and contrarian on everything I say. Wow! Just...wow!
Just stop the judgments and stick to the topics, Aaron. Honestly you whine and whine about it, but you do the most judging of anyone.

Can you be more constructive?

You confuse me with someone who enjoys interacting with you.
I don't.

Or are you going to be just contrarian?

Well, if you would stop making false claims about me, I wouldn't have to tell you your'e wrong, would I? It seems pretty clear that you are trying to force me into a discussion with you that I don't even want.

Your saying "gods" don't exist, because they're not real, or they don't exist, and if anyone believes they do, their polytheist.

I'm not the one saying it.
It's the standard definition.

It's really quite simple.

Great!
If that's what you think, then you have no need to continue this, do you?

I'm saying the term "gods", a term used in the Bible refers to people with a authority. Ps 82, Exo 7:1
Ive used multiple sources to prove this. I've even used your own words.

Are you aware that Paul didn't write Ps. 82?
Are you aware that Paul didn't write Ex. 7:1?

Paul's reference to "gods" in 1 Cor. 8 is EXPLICITLY about "idols" who don't exist. He was referring to false gods that the Romans sacrificed meat to, such as Artemis. This is proof that you are incapable of undrestanding any Biblical passage IN CONTEXT.

So-called "gods" can be people with authority in government, other people that set themselves up. You, yourself, also referred to the lord's of Roman government. Clearly, they exist.

Yes, but you keep playing these stupid games.
They don't exist AS GODS.
They exist as MEN, as NON-Gods.
In the case of Ps. 82 (for example, they exist as God's representatives, NOT as actualy gods, and they are not actual gods any more than our Gov-Gen is actually the King.

You keep playing these stupid games, and refuse to accept the truth.

"gods" can be engraved images, or anything that people serve, like money or possession. These exist in a spiritual sense.

But they are NOT truly "gods".
That's the whole problem.

You've defined monotheist in the belief in one God,

No, it is NOT my own definition.
It is the STANDARD definition, and has been the standard definition for over 2000 years.
This is another stupid game you play, you want to falsely accuse me of inventing my own definitions so that you can redefine and deny.

You pick an extreme very limited version, I use a more liberal definition.

No, I use the correct and historical definition, you are using a self-serving definition.

Your definition is what makes the Godhead into three seperate Gods, my definition makes them into a singular entity.

That is a false claim and OFF-TOPIC.
We don't believe in "three separate Gods".
Bearing false witness is a sin, and you need to repent.
And you need to stop dissing the moderators, and respect the rules of this forum.

Going OFF-TOPIC is another stupid game you constantly play.

Yes. You have and you are. Your saying "monotheism" is a basic tenet of Christian theology, when it's actually a standard Greeks,

Wow.
Tell me you're ignorant of history without telling me you're ignorant of history.
The Greeks were many things, but they were NOT "monotheists".
They believed in Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Demeter, Athena, Apollo, Artemis, Aphrodite, Hermes, etc. etc. They basically believed in the same gods the Romans did, only they had separate Greek names for them.

which is why Romans considered Jews atheist, which is what I pointed out, and you will later acknowledge yourself in posts after this one I'm replying to.

No, the Greeks consisdered the Christians atheist for the same reason.
You truly have no clue what you're talking about.

Eh, yes, technically, it's a change of topic, but very important to acknowledge of why your pushing this argument of monotheism in thr first place. It shows you're ignoring the original concepts that Hebrews believed.

False, false, false, and off-topic.

Multiple points have raised, and you want me to do the work to do all the summarizing the entire discussion,

No, you wer the one who gratuitously offered to do it.
I didn't "request" it at all.
If you want to know what I actually WANT, I would LOVE for you to simplyt put me on "ignore" and stop responding to me, since all you do is:
1) misrepresent me;
2) insult me;
3) attack Christianity, which is OFF-TOPIC.

But usually when I make such efforts, you blow it off and never acknowledge it, so it's generally not my time.

So then stop responding to me, and we'll both be happy.

This is getting long, so I'll end here for now...

That' because you're attempting to created yet another tangent when all you've done is walk away or special plead.

More false accusations and childish insults.

Mormons don't believe your asking the question in good faith,

Well, I am, whether you believe it or not.
Claiming I'm not asking in good faith is simply more childish insult.

Doh! You just acknowledged it exists. By your own strict definition that your holding against us, your a polytheist!

No, I'm not.
First of all, my beliefs are OFF-TOPIC here.
And secondly, the Trinity is MONOTHEISTIC.

You keep trying to derail discussion AWAY from Mormonism in order to try to attack my (OFF-TOPIC) beliefs.

Doh! You did it again! By you own strict definition that your holding against us, your a polytheist!

Nope.
100% monotheist.
And my beliefs are STILL completely OFF-TOPIC here.

I'm not playing stupid word games.

Yes, you are.

Go back and read the discussion,

Yes, that's how know you're playing stupid word games.
It's obvious from the discussion I read.

Gordon acknowledged "gods" exist, and he's being called a polytheist.

Because Mormons believe in actual multple gods.
And that IS "polytheism".

Coarse!

The primary theme of 1st Corinthians is addressing the difference divisions and strife among church members.

Ironically, the issue in 1 Cor. 8 is that the Christians don't know whether to eat meat sacrificed to pagan gods. This is because Christians ARE MONOTHEISTS, and they were afraid that eating meat sacrificed to pagan gods might be some sort of recognition of "deity" of the false gods. The issue was only an issue BECAUSE they were monotheists, and didn't recognize the deity of these other gods.

In chapter 8, he's starting to take about food sacrifices, those eating food sacrificed to idols are being accused of idol worship, but the accused are saying "it's just meat", but Paul's overall message is "to avoid the appearance of evil".

Wow.
You prove OVER and OVER and OVER again that you have no clue as to how to correctly interpret Scripture. Paul NOWHERE said that the response regarding eating meat sacrificed to idols is to "avoid the appearance of evil". That is NOWHERE found in 1 Cor., and in fact, Paul said it was PERFECTLY FINE to eat meat sacrificed to others gods, since it was simply meat, and the ritual doesn't change that at all. The only caveat he gave us (I believe) later in in the epistle, where he cautions about "weaker brothers" who might not have the proper understanding.

"Avoidiing the appearance of evil" was written by Paul, but it isn't found in 1 Cor., it's found in 1 Thess. 5:22. But even then you're misinterpreting it (what else is new?). It does NOT mean "avoid doing things that even look like they might be evil" (such as drinking club soda at a bar). It means, "avoid evil, wherever it appears".

In verse 5, he's acknowledging the nuance that though idols are nothing they still technically exist, just as people and things may be labeled as "gods" or "lords", both physically and spiritually - since some people recognize them as such.

Look at the Greek on Biblehub, the Greek word for "for" is the particle to assign a reason. Which supports my interpretation that he's going to make a clarifying statement.

Exactly.
So verse 5 is EXPLAINING v.4, and so it is NOT a "change of topic", like you falsely claimed.

Yes. Verse 5 is going to introduce the nuance of verse 4.

You seem to like using the term, "nuance", even though you don't seem to understand what it means.

In verse 4? After making a point about how Christians are supposed to live, he's getting specific on eating food sacrificed to idols.

Exactly!
So NOT a "change of topic", like you previously claimed.
You see, discussion with you would be SO much easier if you didn't constantly play these stupid games.

Yes, we probably agree on this. That's what I was saying. That's why this is a useless tangent. I never postulated that it was a change in topic,

Of course you did.
You wanted to divorce v.5 from v.4, to deny that the "so-called gods" in v.5 were actually "idols" (v.4) according to Paul.

you're the one that brought it up, not me. it's just another position you painted on me, because you want to be right on .... SOMETHING.

<sigh>
Lose the insulting and false accusations.
For someone who claims we should all be "peacemakers", you are doing an INCREDIBLY poor job of it.

And I said we've already covered this when you acknowledged "Kaiser Kurios" - so called "gods" people serve. They're not the God we serve, but in the minds of others, they do exist perceptually in the form of engraven images or actual people.

Um, I NEVER mentioned anything about "serving".
You seem completely oblvious to the TONS of baggage you project, not only onto Scripture, but also onto my posts. Paul isn't around to rebuke you when you do it to him, but I certainly am still here, and I'm going to call you out on it, because I am NOT going to allow you to make false claims about me, only to criticize me for it.

You're saying because I actually acknowledge that fact, I'm a "polytheist", and I'm saying that's rediculous,

Just about EVERY Mormon here has used 1 Cor. 8:5 and Psalm 82 to JUSTIFY polytheism. And you say it's "rediculous [sic]" for me to call you out on it? Obviously you don't think you are bound to suffer the consequences of your false claims.

but given your extremist definition of monotheism,

<sigh>
There is nothing "extremist" about it.
You're simply trying to take advantage of every opportunity to be insulting.
That's not being a "peacemaker".

we could compromise and say "Henotheism", which you'd need to prove as sinful in the Bible.

Um, henotheism (the belief in the existence of multiple gods) is a subset of polytheism, so yes, of course it's sinful. The Greeks and Romans were henotheists/polytheists.

So, I gave evidence that that was the original disposition of Israelites -

And you continue to be wrong, because you are ignorant of both history and Scripture.

that "other gods" existed in the 1st commandment sense, and monotheism is standard that was introduced but Greco-Roman culture.

Another false claim by you.
Leviticus was written LONG before the Greco-Roman culture.
Over and over again, you display your ignorance.
It is also irrelevant to our discussion, which increases the waste of my time.

To know avail, you're still going disagree with me.

To "know" avail?
Seriously?
Well, since you can't even spell "rediculous [sic]".

So basically, you're claiming I'm not allowed to ever be right.
No matter what false claims you make, I'm supposed to say, "I"m wrong, you're right".
Sorry, massa.... I just can't 'do it, massa.
I'm not your slave, massa...

If you want me to tell you that you're right, there's a very SIMPLE way to do it.
Simply make true claims, instead of false ones.
And just so you know, holding onto Mormonism is not going to help in that endeavour.

Maybe you should focus more on 1Cor 8:1-3 rather than verses 4 and 5.

What would be the point?
You will never admit that you're wrong, and all you do is continue to binrg up personal childish insults, and worthless red herrings and straw-men. Why would it be anything more than a complete waste of my valuable time?

Childish one-up-ness

<sigh>
Not at all.
Only blatant hypocrisy on your part.
You brought up 7 principles of hermeneutics, and chilidishly claimed that I had broken 4 of them, even though I hadn't, and you didn't give ANY examples of such (since there weren't any). THAT is "childish". It served no purpose other than to try and insult and discredit me.

And if you are going to try to hold someone to a standard, then you better be ready ito be held to that SAME standard as well. And it's quite obvious to me that you broke ALL SEVEN of the principles you listed. So there is no "one-up-ness" on my part, there is only blatant hypocrisy and childishness on YOUR part, to try to use it against me, but whining, "No fair!!!!" when the SAME standard (that YOU chose) is used against you.

As they saying goes, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Do better.

No. Here you're just illustrating your lack of ability to see things a different way. Monotheism can be abstractified that multiple "gods" can be extensions and manifestations of the singular God. It's technically how Buddhism sees the "oneness" of everything.

No, I'm simply not allowing you to self-servingly REDEFINE words to justify your false teachings. Words have meaning, and you are NOT allowed to arbitrairly redefine them willy-nilly.

And I'm here to discuss "Buddhism", I'm here to discuss MORMONISM.

It's rather annoying that you cite a point I already identified and introduce it as if you came up with yourself, and that I was clueless about it. Tacky.

I don't recall you ever bringing it up.
So it's rather annyong for you to make such a false accusation against me.
This is why I'm sick and tired of interacting with and you constant insults and complaints.

Not necessarily true. He was including references to people evidenced by later recognizing the persons of God and Jesus Christ.

No, he was making the point that ONLY ONE GOD EXISTS ("htere is none other God but one", 1 Cor. 8:4), and that any other god than the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob is a false God, an idol who doesn't exist.

He then goes to 1 Cor. 8:6 is Paul's reference to the Sh'ma (Deut. 6:4), which is the Jewish daily prayer that onily one God exists, but Paul expands upon it to include both the Father ("God") and Jesus ("Lord") as the one true God he believes in.

Same answer for all of these.
To clarify my previous definition, "gods" are those with authority, or perceived authority.

But that is NOT the definition of "god".
And as long as you conitinue to REDEFINE words beyond all recognition, no productive discussion is possible.

The "gods" in Ps. 82 were given authority by God.

But they were NOT "gods" at all!
They were men. SInners, even. Evil sinners.
That is the point.

Just as you think you're the "god of biblical interpretation"

<sigh>
Why must you be so rude and insulting?
I have NEVER claimed to be "the god of biblical interpretation".
It seems you simply want to be contentious, and escalate discussion. Perhaps it's to try to goad me into breaking the rules or something.
At any rate, there is no way to describe yourself as ANYTHING close to "Christian", when you constantly act this way.

Faithful Mormons, per D&C 132, will be "gods" in the sense that they will be given permanent authority within God's Kingdom.

Well, D&C 132 is nothing but worthless garbage, isn't it?

Matt 25:21 "His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord"

And now you're simply quoting verses at random?
We're not talking about "ruling", we're takling about DEITIES ("gods").

I'm not here to be your "play toy" and discuss whatever million random topics you want to discuss. Do you understand?

It was the wrong answer, because your reasoning in contradictory. All you did was show your lack of intellectual humility.

Wow.
You proudly claim that my answer was the "wrong answer", yet YOU want to teach me "humility" and claim that I said I was "the god of Bible interpretation".
Why are you constantly being so insulting and childish?

Are you kidding? I loved the answer! And I love the fact that you're doubling down on it. I'll be using it to beat you over the head for a while, until you can gain some humility.

Wow.
There's no worry that anyone will EVER confuse you with being a follower of Christ, as long as you display THAT attitude.

I think identifying truth in a humorous way is an exceptional Christlike attribute. The inability to laugh at yourself and admit you're a bit over your skis, that you actually consider yourself equal to God in omniscience, couldn't be any more anti-christian.

<sigh>
More childish insults.

I have NEVER claimed to be "equal to God in omniscience".

I think I'm done with your worthless nonsense.

Last edited:

Why are you being so contentious and misleading?

You make it sound like I gratuitously gave myself the label.
But YOU were one who gave me that label.

You asked me if I'm "the arbiter of truth".
How was I supposed to answer?
"NO, I"m the arbiter of lies"?
I can't answer that way, since that would be false, and I don't lie.

You asked me if I"m "the arbiter of truth".
And my answer was, "If words have meaning, yes".

But you seem to have IGNORED that.

You aren't interested in productive or charitable discussion, you're only interesting in mocking Christians and trying to make them look bad. But I think it's safe to say that the only one here who stinks of feces is you.

Last edited:
When you can start saying this to both sides of the aisle, then I'll take your words more seriously.

<Chuckle>
You just boasted about how your new "goal" in life is to "teach Theo humility" (which is against the rules, btw), but you think that's okay, but Maggie is wrong to call you out on YOUR behaviour?

And btw, it's also against the rules for non-Mormons to argue with each other in this forum, so you are asking her to break the rules.

Oh, baloney! God calls us to come to Him JUST AS WE ARE. Weak, sinful, pleading for forgiveness and salvation. And He gives it to us, NOT on account of any works which we have done in righteousness, but "on account of His mercy." (Titus 3)

God may call us just as we are--but if being born again is a requirement for His grace unto life--then eternal life does not come to those who do not change, and remain just as they are.

And, if eternal life does not have anything to do with what "we have done"--then why are all judged according to their works--and that for life or damnation?

John 5:28-29---King James Version
28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

The testimony of Jesus does warrant consideration there--does it not?

Matthew 16:27---King James Version
27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

Back