I don't believe in atheists

You say "There is no God, the material world is all there is." The Theist asks for an explanation of the universe. You say "The universe requires no explanation. It just exists." When the theist claims that "God does not need an explanation, God just is." the atheist becomes indignant.
I am Buddhist, not atheist; look at my avatar picture as a reminder. Buddhism has a great many gods, but they are not important and can be ignored.

The universe exists, both material and immaterial components. All components are temporary, they start and end. However, there has always been at least one component in existence, so the universe is eternal. No god is eternal. Yes, my scriptures are not the same as yours.

Here is why the theist maintains that God requires no explanation: God, unlike the universe, is not contingent. The universe requires an explanation becasue it and everything in it is contingent.
Everything is contingent, including the immaterial components and gods. All gods are mortal, though long lived, and their current lives are contingent on the karma from their previous lives, just like us.

The problem with that is that God sits outside of the universe.
Then Jesus is not God. Jesus existed inside the universe, in Bethlehem, Jerusalem etc. God/Jesus in Bethlehem is inside the universe, not outside it.

Put another way: everything that exists is contingent. God on the hand is not contingent.
God as Creator is contingent on there being a created universe. God was not a creator 200 billion years ago, before the origin of the current material universe.

That begs the question. First, you want to take God and make Him part of the universe, when God is NOT part of the universe.
God exists, therefore God is part of "All That Exists". I am talking about a philosophical definition here, not a physical/material definition. Only a non-existent God can be outside the ATE universe.

God's relationship to the universe is analogous to the relationship between an author and their book.
God is incapable of writing an autobiography? Really. Obviously not omnipotent then.

Second, you assume that God is LIKE everything else IN the universe; that is, you make God contingent, when in fact, God is not contingent, and therefore cannot be like everything else in the universe.
The Bible is words in a human language and is part of the universe. If God is as disconnected from the universe as you say, then the Bible cannot be a correct description of God. The only correct description would be Zen-like, as in the eighth ox-herding picture.

Eternal means changless, limitless, as well as not contingent.
The Bible God is not changeless, as Genesis confirms. Does Genesis say:

On the first day the changeless God said, "Let there be light." And on the second day the changeless God said, "Let there be light." And on the third day the changeless God said, "Let there be light." And on the fourth day the changeless God said, "Let there be light." And on the fifth day...

Being changeless is very restricting. You cannot stop anything you are already doing and you can never start anything new. Both starting and stopping are changes. The Bible God is not changeless.

Buddhism emphasises change. Everything changes, so nothing is eternal.

That there are "uncaused" events at the quantum level is an illusion. Quantum mechanics follows defined set of rules and laws. If it didn't, how could scientists study it, mathematically model it, make predictions with it, and even create computers by using the principles of quantum mechanics?
Radioactive beta decay is just one example of an uncaused quantum event. All science can do is measure probabilities -- the half-life -- there is no cause why one atom of uranium decays while another one does not, though each has the same half life.

If stuff just happened at the quantum level for no reason at all, it would be impossible to study scientifically.
Quantum mechanics is very very strange. Many assumptions that work on a macroscopic level do not work on the quantum level.

The assertion that God is not contingent is not provision. If God exists, it must be the case that He is not contingent. If he is not contingent, then he cannot be part of the universe. That is not a scientific conclusion that can be refined with further discovery, it is true by reason and logic.
You’re missing the mark here. We both understand that we are backed up against a mystery. And we both are claiming that the mystery is not contingent, but necessary. What is provisional is what the nature of that non-contingent reality is. You have a religious assertions that describes it in very rote fashion even though time and experience has ripped large holes in that rather rote description. We have provisional assertions that go where the evidence of our shared reality lead us.
Except that we DID have interaction with in history. It is the Christian assertion that God become incarnate in Jesus and DID interact with us and reveal God to us. The evidence that Jesus Christ is God is that He rose from the dead as the Bible claims. What you need to do is explain to me why the apostolic testimony contained in the Scriptures for the resurrection should be discounted as unreliable.
Yes, that is the claim. But that claim competes with so many other supernatural traditions rendering it as mundane as any other in the realm of competing religious claims. So one such credible refutation of the apostolic claims would entail 4 things. 1. The lack of witness by actual biblical authors (hearsay). 2. The lack of any extra biblical claims to any remarkable event in Judea from the birth of Jesus to his resurrection. Josephus. Tacitus, Suetonius, Pliny, et al... would surely have been privy to the stories of remarkable goings on beyond just acknowledging Christians existed. 3. The competitive supernatural escalation required to keep an already superstitious and illiterate people engaged. and 4. The world we experience just just doesn’t work that way and there is no reason at all that the remarkable works of god claimed to be happening then should have suddenly ceased. The world of that area and era did not change much... except for one thing... literacy. Literacy is killing the Christian assertion.
Because some material beings with a will possess biology, therefore anything with will MUST possess a biology? That strikes me as a leap in logic.
It is a black swan fallacy, I’ll admit. But as another poster relayed to you, we can alter brain biology and thus alter what you claim to be a duality of mind. So we see that your dual nature mind/brain paradigm is suffering scientific literacy as well as Thor’s Thunder Hammer did.
Doesn't the fact that every culture throughout time believed in some god or gods, something larger than themselves suggest that we are inherently wired to believe in God's existence--even if---there are disagreements over what god or gods exist?
In other words--the evidence from history would seem to suggest that atheism is not the default position. That means evolution programmed us to have an awareness of God. This is interesting in and of itself--since--what evolutionary advantage would we gain from belief in a fairy tale?
That is a different issue than whether the god you imagine exists. But that is another thread concerning human's pattern seeking brain.
I am simply trying to clarify terms.
I know... What is god? A willful sentient disembodied mind/being or a set of intrinsic properties of nature. Both can be non-contingent, but one has a better track record of aligning with experienced reality.

You’re missing the mark here. We both understand that we are backed up against a mystery. And we both are claiming that the mystery is not contingent, but necessary.
But the universe ISN'T necessary. That is the point. The universe exhibits CHANGE. That means the universe, by definition, is contingent; that is, is not self existent. It requires an explanation.

God does not require an explanation becasue God is not contingent; that is, God is unchanging. God's very nature precludes an explanation. The nature of the universe REQUIRES one.

See the point? We are talking of the very NATURE of things. That is what makes them different. God is UNCREATED. In your image of God, you are assuming that God is PART of the created sphere, in which case, God requires an explanation, like everything else in creation.

You are assuming that God isn't set apart from His creation, something fundamentally different in kind from creation. You assume in your image of God, that God is "out there" and that Christians should be able tp "produce" Him like any other created thing. That maybe if we had a powerful enough telescope we could "see" where God is, where heaven is. That is just the point: they ARE NOT here. They are OUTSIDE of the universe.
What is provisional is what the nature of that non-contingent reality is. You have a religious assertions that describes it in very rote fashion even though time and experience has ripped large holes in that rather rote description.
How so?
We have provisional assertions that go where the evidence of our shared reality lead us.
Why is it that scientists look at the evidence differently? One scientist--will, as a result of their studies become a Christian, or some kind of theist. Other scientists will look at the exact same evidence and either remain atheist, or leave theism. Evidence is evidence. Data is data. Why do different scientists come to such different conclusions?
Yes, that is the claim. But that claim competes with so many other supernatural traditions rendering it as mundane as any other in the realm of competing religious claims.
There are competing scientific claims as well. Does this disprove the validity to the scientific method? Does this disprove that there are scientific laws that can be known and understood?

Competing religious traditions and viewpoints no more disprove the existence of God than competing scientific claims disprove "The Science."
So one such credible refutation of the apostolic claims would entail 4 things. 1. The lack of witness by actual biblical authors (hearsay).
The apostles or their scribes wrote the NT. The apostles all witnessed the appearances of Jesus. All of the Gospels were written within the lifetime of the apostles--even IF you go with the liberal dating of the Gospels and books of the NT.
2. The lack of any extra biblical claims to any remarkable event in Judea from the birth of Jesus to his resurrection. Josephus. Tacitus, Suetonius, Pliny, et al... would surely have been privy to the stories of remarkable goings on beyond just acknowledging Christians existed.
You just asserted previously that there were no direct eye witnesses to the Resurrection, which calls into question its credibility. Now you complain that non-eyewitnesses never mentioned it, thus calling into question its credibility?

You given me an impossible burden of proof! I produce eyewitnesses in the form of the apostles who saw Jesus, and then wrote about it in the NT. You tell me--"Well, shucks, you know? I mean gosh. How can we possibly trust those accounts?" Then you turn around and claim that "Well, shucks, you know? I mean gosh. If the Resurrection happened, we should expect to see non-eyewitnesses writing about it."

See my point? The secular historians you mentioned didn't witness the Resurrection. they did not witness Christ. Why would we expect them to write about it? The fact that they aren't eyewitnesses would tend to invalidate their credibility by your own standard of proof. You mean to tell me that if the DID write about it, you would go "Well, shucks! You got me! I guess the resurrection really happened!" Of course you wouldn't. You would invalidate their testimony since they weren't eyewitnesses.

The question is: WHY should we not treat the Gospels as historical documents? One need not suppose they are Scripture in order to examine them as historical documents.
3. The competitive supernatural escalation required to keep an already superstitious and illiterate people engaged.
Here you go. This is the quintessential example of modern, Western arrogance. "We are so smart, enlightened. and scientific. No one before us knew anything, they were stupid. They were predisposed to believe anything becasue they didn't have 'The Science' like we do today. Thus, it would make perfect sense for them to believe it when someone said 'Hey guys, I was dead but I came back to life.'"

You might want to try reading the Gospels some time. Jesus disciples were NOT AT ALL predisposed to believe in anything he said. They are presented as bumbling idiots who do not believe what he says, don't understand it, and then when he needed them the most, ran out on him. When they heard initial reports of the Resurrection, they discounted them, believing instead that someone stole the body. Even AFTER they encounter Him in His resurrected body, they still do not believe. It isn't until he ascends to heaven and the Spirit comes on the Church that they believe, understand, and boldly preach.

You seriously want to maintain that you need to have "PhD" "MD" or "DO" after your name, you need to be "The Fauci" who is "The Science" to know that people don't come back from the dead? The apostles were so stupid, they didn't understand what death was? They understood it well--which is why after Jesus was crucified, they were in hiding, expecting the same fate to befall them.
and 4. The world we experience just just doesn’t work that way and there is no reason at all that the remarkable works of god claimed to be happening then should have suddenly ceased. The world of that area and era did not change much... except for one thing... literacy. Literacy is killing the Christian assertion.
Actually.....the works continue in the person of the Church He founded. The Church continues to cast out demons, preach the Good News, and there are even miracles from time to time. But of course, even when "The Science" cannot explain this, the atheist still maintains that--well-it just has to be false, you know? Just becasue "The Science" doesn't have the answers now, it will eventually get them. And then your superstition will be disproven. Quite frankly, some of the explanations atheists come up with for Near Death Experiences, the Shroud of Turin, Eucharistic miracles, expulsion of demons, etc, require MORE Faith, than simply accepting the miraculous.
It is a black swan fallacy, I’ll admit. But as another poster related to you, we can alter brain biology and thus alter what you claim to be a duality of mind. So we see that your dual nature mind/brain paradigm is suffering scientific literacy as well as Thor’s Thunder Hammer did.
I will have to look in to that more. Ed Feser, a professor of philosophy wrote a book about the mind where he addresses some of these assertions and explains why they don't prove what the scientists think they prove-this--if I understand what you are referring to correctly. I started reading it, but it was over my head.
That is a different issue than whether the god you imagine exists. But that is another thread concerning human's pattern seeking brain.
You mean our need to find patterns where none exists, so the brain just invents them? That is true, but this doesn't disprove the existence of patterns!
I know... What is god? A willful sentient disembodied mind/being or a set of intrinsic properties of nature. Both can be non-contingent, but one has a better track record of aligning with experienced reality.
God is that which is purely actual. Everything in the universe is a combination of potentiality and actuality.

Last edited:
But the universe ISN'T necessary. That is the point. The universe exhibits CHANGE. That means the universe, by definition, is contingent; that is, is not self existent. It requires an explanation.
What do you mean by, the universe exhibits change and is therefore contingent?
God does not require an explanation becasue God is not contingent; that is, God is unchanging. God's very nature precludes an explanation. The nature of the universe REQUIRES one.
We don't know enough to be able to say.

To show you you're not going to get anywhere here. Well, you should know that by now. No one takes you seriously

You keep trying to bully me but you're actually energizing me.

Back