Atheisim is not real.

My current job has me driving long distances, so I've taken to audio books in the car. An hour at a time, they keep my mind active beyond the need to drive safely.

I've been listening to God Is Not Great, read by the author...

Driving isn't the best environment for audio books (despite the apparent compatibility). Moments arise when driving takes all of my attention, after which I find I've lost my place in the audiobook; I don't understand the relevance of what's being read, etc. Thus, I often replay entire chapters - multiple times - just to grasp the argument being made.

All of that aside, the book is devastating to the Christian worldview.

Have other atheists here either read the book or listened to the audio book?
Sounds like a fiction novel.

My current job has me driving long distances, so I've taken to audio books in the car. An hour at a time, they keep my mind active beyond the need to drive safely.

Driving isn't the best environment for audio books (despite the apparent compatibility). Moments arise when driving takes all of my attention, after which I find I've lost my place in the audiobook; I don't understand the relevance of what's being read, etc. Thus, I often replay entire chapters - multiple times - just to grasp the argument being made.

I read it.

Intrinsicality as it relates to belief in a Creator God is a self-evident truth.
You’ve been on here for quite some time and you’ve never been able to prove otherwise. Even you still believe in God but you don’t want to. That’s why you keep coming to a Christian site in the hope of proving to yourself, once and for all, that you really don’t believe in God. For some reason, you just can’t escape belief in God, try as you will
Not being able to disprove something does not mean that it is a self-evident truth. Anyone who knows anything about logic knows that. Which is why you don't I suppose.

I'm interested in people, particularly quirky, odd people with oddball ideas and a disregard for reality and for self-evident truths. There's a high density (pun intended) of such people on this Christian site. Here you can find grown adults discussing in all seriousness what Moses saw when he saw God's backside. This place is free entertainment. Why wouldn't I come here?

I haven't read it. To be perfectly honest, I'm not that interested in why there's no God. I'm much more interested in why some people believe that there is. There's a strange medical condition where someone only eats what is on the left hand side of their plate. They literally cannot see the food on the other side unless they turn the plate around. I find belief on God to be just as unfathomable, as difficult to empathise with as a condition like that. Would your recommendation be suitable for me, or is it concentrated on rejecting the First Cause argument and the like?

“5wize" said:
Imagine you're a human. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little human lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A #@$%^ dude on a cloud comes down and rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a f%$# what kind of cloud the son of a bitch rode in on?
I sure would. If it were one of those fluffy, marshmallow-like cumulus clouds, I'd have confidence that my scattered brain fragments would be replaced with a fresh, newly scrubbed more omniscient mind. If it were a nimbus cloud, I might be more fearful, but like George MacDonald's Sir Gibbie, I've always been inspired by a brisk thunderstorm. If it were one of the wispy cirrus deals, I would be bemused by Jesus' ability to get a firm footing, and my attention would be drawn to His nail-scarred feet. However, a stratus cloud might remind me of the universality of mankind. It's an interesting situation you propose.
Just checking... you do know the movie reference, right?

80% unbelief is bad bad argument. Unbelief don’t prove much and it’s not a magic stick that makes God go away.
You must not have read Melzine89's argument. He claims the entire world already knows that the xtian god exists and thus he has no burden to prove it. I pointed out that 80% of the world does not believe in the xtian god. That is an excellent excellent argument that he is wrong and has to come up with some proof.

Why do you assume that they need to be established? That is by no means self-evident.
They didn't just come out of nothing. God is what exists outside of the universe establishing the universe and the order we see in it. I know atheists now believe in something before the universe that created the universe. They just refuse to recognize that as being God. And I already explained why.

You must not have read Melzine89's argument. He claims the entire world already knows that the xtian god exists and thus he has no burden to prove it. I pointed out that 80% of the world does not believe in the xtian god. That is an excellent excellent argument that he is wrong and has to come up with some proof.
The Christian God told us long ago that most people will not believe and be saved.

It's not realisation. It's speculation. It's also a giant leap to assume that it is your particular God, of all the possibilities that human beings have dreamt up, that fills this role that you have speculated into existence.
It's not a giant leap because the intelligence of the being outside of the universe is seen in the universe. Meanwhile, scientists are busy searching for the energy, or matter that caused the universe, not knowing that whatever their efforts reveal is still contained in the universe itself, and not outside of it as God is.

I haven't read it, but it appears to be riddled with factual errors.

The Christian God told us long ago that most people will not believe and be saved.
Well, it says that in the Bible. What you are effectively saying here is,

1. The Bible says that there will be those who won't believe.
2. There are those who don't believe,
3. The Bible is the word of God,

C. The Christian God exists.

I hope you can see that this is a circular argument as the conclusion is one of the premises.

They didn't just come out of nothing. God is what exists outside of the universe establishing the universe and the order we see in it. I know atheists now believe in something before the universe that created the universe. They just refuse to recognize that as being God. And I already explained why.
How do you know that they didn't come out of nothing. I find that more credible than that a supernatural entity created them. I'm not alone in that understanding, which is enough to establish that the notion of God is not self-evident.

Technically, yes (that's why I don't go to great lengths to convince atheists).
So there is a justification for atheism whether we are right or wrong? We keep being told that we actually do believe that God exists.
But it doesn't relieve you of the responsibility for closing your eyes to it.
The post that you replied to contained a relevant question, being,

"Perhaps you can help then, by saying why what surrounds us is evidence for God?"

That is inviting you or anyone to explain what we are closing our eyes to. You didn't reply to this.

I would ask, what evidence for God are you aware of that atheists aren't? Does any of this evidence prove that God exists?

It's not a giant leap because the intelligence of the being outside of the universe is seen in the universe. Meanwhile, scientists are busy searching for the energy, or matter that caused the universe, not knowing that whatever their efforts reveal is still contained in the universe itself, and not outside of it as God is.
There's no intelligence evident in the universe as a whole. There's no apparent purpose or plan. There's nothing about it that suggests intelligence.

There's no intelligence evident in the universe as a whole. There's no apparent purpose or plan. There's nothing about it that suggests intelligence.
The plan is for the universe to continue to decay to the very end, and to save those out of it who want to be saved out of it. The plan has never been to save this world, but to save people out of it. Through the wisdom of God this prolonged decay in which people are allowed to endure the distress and futility of this world reveals who will love and long for a new world where God reigns, and who will not.

Back