Psalm 5 - Does God love everybody?

caris_mere

Yesterday, my family was reading through Psalm 5. Afterwards, my daughter asked a question, based on verse 5 "The boastful shall not stand before your eyes; you hate all evildoers."

She said "Sure that must mean that God hates what the evildoers do, because God loves everybody, right?"

What are your thoughts?

Yesterday, my family was reading through Psalm 5. Afterwards, my daughter asked a question, based on verse 5 "The boastful shall not stand before your eyes; you hate all evildoers."

She said "Sure that must mean that God hates what the evildoers do, because God loves everybody, right?"

What are your thoughts?
The Bible doesn't use the word "hate" as narrowly as we use it. For example, Jesus says in Luke 14:26, “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple." It is universally understood by all Christians, regardless of whether they are Calvinist or Arminian, that Jesus is not teaching we should hate our families in the way that we typically use the word "hate." The more natural interpretation of this verse is that to be hated is to be less preferred. Thus, by saying we should hate our families, Jesus is simply saying that we should prefer Him and His kingdom over our loved ones and their interests.

God demonstrated his love for the ungodly sinful enemies of God, two thousand years ago.

Rom 5:6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
Rom 5:7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.
Rom 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Rom 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
Rom 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

What are your thoughts?
Welcome to CARM!

The Bible says God Hated Esau. The reason why God Hated Esau can be debated; but it shows that God doesn't Love everyone. Couple this with the Bible saying God does not Change, thus we are not destroyed; and you can have the belief that God does not have an Agape Love for everyone...

This is an example of Systematic Theology in use. The Bible says God is Love; so people use that Verbatim Verse to try and prove that God cannot Hate anyone. Stand Alone Verses are true; as far as how the Holy Spirit meant them to be true. The Verse which says God Hated Esau is JUST AS TRUE as the Verse which says God is Love. So what are we to do? We are supposed to believe both of the Verses...

Last edited:

What are your thoughts?
If God did not hate the evildoers who are boastful men, they would stand before His eyes. As per that scripture, they (not only their deeds) shall not stand before His eyes.

The Bible doesn't use the word "hate" as narrowly as we use it. For example, Jesus says in Luke 14:26, “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple." It is universally understood by all Christians, regardless of whether they are Calvinist or Arminian, that Jesus is not teaching we should hate our families in the way that we typically use the word "hate." The more natural interpretation of this verse is that to be hated is to be less preferred. Thus, by saying we should hate our families, Jesus is simply saying that we should prefer Him and His kingdom over our loved ones and their interests.
The same is true with love. God uses them both conditionally and unconditionally. The problem is we like to talk about Gods love in some way that is never unjust in our minds but we like to sugarcoat His hate because it offends us.

hope this helps !!!

So in the text in question God simply prefers evil doers less but prefers then none the less?

So in the text in question God simply prefers evil doers less but prefers then none the less?
I'm not of the opinion that "less preferred" is the only alternative understanding of the word "hate." In Psalm 5:5 the word hate might be best understood as something closer to being disfavored. For example, Gen. 29:31, "And when the Lord saw that Leah was hated, He opened her womb." The word "disfavored" might be a better understanding of the word "hate" in that verse as well. In fact, it's the same Hebrew word in both verses (שָׂנֵא). I find it puzzling that, unlike human hate, God must necessarily wish eternal damnation on anyone that the Bible says He hates. At least that's what Calvinists think.

I'm not of the opinion that "less preferred" is the only alternative understanding of the word "hate." In Psalm 5:5 the word hate might be best understood as something closer to being disfavored. For example, Gen. 29:31, "And when the Lord saw that Leah was hated, He opened her womb." The word "disfavored" might be a better understanding of the word "hate" in that verse as well. In fact, it's the same Hebrew word in both verses (שָׂנֵא). I find it puzzling that, unlike human hate, God must necessarily wish eternal damnation on anyone that the Bible says He hates. At least that's what Calvinists think.
So what do you make of Proverbs 16:4?

So what do you make of Proverbs 16:4?
I think that God's role in the fate of the wicked is best understood as something of a passive role in light of other verses such as Ezekiel 33:11. Since God made all things, including a world in which there are natural consequences that follow from both good and evil actions, in that sense He has "made all for Himself, even the wicked for the day of evil." To read Proverbs 16:4 and to conclude that God not only created man, but caused him to become wicked is to mine that verse for far more than it's worth.

I think that God's role in the fate of the wicked is best understood as something of a passive role in light of other verses such as Ezekiel 33:11. Since God made all things, including a world in which there are natural consequences that follow from both good and evil actions, in that sense He has "made all for Himself, even the wicked for the day of evil." To read Proverbs 16:4 and to conclude that God not only created man, but caused him to become wicked is to mine that verse for far more than it's worth.
I don't think God caused anyone to be evil. That is a result of the original rebellion of the angels then man. That was not God as the culprit.

Good time to start an argument.... :)

Yes. God hated Esau.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to go any further into an answer without debating why God hated Esau.

So I'll start.

1. God hatred of Esau, as expressed in the Scriptures, is a symbolic representation of those who willing reject the revelation of Jesus Christ.

It has only semblance to do with what either Calvinism or Arminianism teach. Both are inadequate to properly answer the question.
Sounds like a good discussion; but because of the OP (the new guy), I feel I should wait for him...

Mostly, every Poster will agree that God Hates Esau...

What are your thoughts?

I think you already know the answer...

The text says, "you hate all evildoers".
It does not say, "You hate what the evildoers do."

The object of the hate is the men, not the actions.
That's Grammar 101.

God did create man knowing He would become evil. God is of course the first cause of all that exists. Evil serves a divine purpose. It was not a divine creative opps.

The Bible doesn't use the word "hate" as narrowly as we use it.

I don't believe you've done a word study of the words translated "hate" in the Bible.
If you do a study of the usage of the Hebrew and Greek terms, and study all the instances other than Luke 14:26, which is an outlier, you will find that the Biblical use is EXACTLY the same as the English meaning in the other 90 instances.

For example, Jesus says in Luke 14:26, “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple." It is universally understood by all Christians, regardless of whether they are Calvinist or Arminian, that Jesus is not teaching we should hate our families in the way that we typically use the word "hate."

Yes, and it is the CONTEXT that determines this, not the word alone, since Scripture teaches we are to love and honour our parents, so IN THIS PARTICULAR instance it can't mean "absolute hate", but merely relative hate, and not even loving parents less than God, but loving God MORE than parents. Whichever human you love the most, you need to love God MORE.

The more natural interpretation of this verse is that to be hated is to be less preferred.

In THIS context, yes.
But that is NOT the context of Ps. 5:5.

Within the Essence of any teaching of Divinity, man must deal with the very real fact that as much as God loves, God hates. It is impossible to see God's hatred as a simple "annoyance".
Why is this necessarily true? Do you believe that since the Bible says "God is love", it must also be true that God is hate?

I don't believe you've done a word study of the words translated "hate" in the Bible.
If you do a study of the usage of the Hebrew and Greek terms, and study all the instances other than Luke 14:26, which is an outlier, you will find that the Biblical use is EXACTLY the same as the English meaning in the other 90 instances.
Really? When it says in Gen. 29:31 "And when the Lord saw that Leah was hated, he opened her womb", you take it to mean that Jacob "hated" Leah in the same way that you think God hates the wicked? The exact same way? Or is that verse another outlier?

Really? When it says in Gen. 29:31 "And when the Lord saw that Leah was hated, he opened her womb", you take it to mean that Jacob "hated" Leah in the same way that you think God hates the wicked? The exact same way? Or is that verse another outlier?

If we think of the love-hate spectrum, we might think of it something like this:

|----------------------------------|------------------------------------|
hate....................................neutral...........................................love

Not all "hate" is the same level, just as not all "love" is the same level.
But I would say, definitely yes, our call to "hate" father and mother is putting our feelings for them on the "love" side, although not as extreme as our love for God.

And Jacob's "hatred" of Leah was on the "hate" side of the spectrum, just as God's hate for the wicked is on the "hate" side. But whether they are the "exact same" is a different question.

Back