The official interpreter of scripture

One example for instance would be Matthew 16:18- And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Are there other scriptures that validate the Catholic interpretation of this passage or is this an isolated text to support a foundational doctrine of the church ( RCC ). Its these kinds of questions one should be asking themselves to see if the bible actually teaches what the "church" has been telling them for centuries.
I was just thinking about this the other day. If this event is so important in the founding of the Church, why does it only appear in 1 of the 4 gospels? Mark and Luke have the account of the interaction, however their accounts lack any mention of rocks, keys, binding or loosing. If this event was the founding of Christ's Church on Earth, why is it only mentioned once? The event is not even recorded in John's gospel. When you read the conversation in the 3 gospels where it is recorded, the recurring theme is for the apostles not to reveal Jesus as the Messiah.

If the Holy Spirit is the official interpreter of scripture then give us the Holy Spirit's interpretation. Thanks.
You mean He's not talking to you? Despite having been Confirmed in your early teens? (Don't worry - He didn't speak to me, either, before I was reborn. Why should He speak to a rebel – except to convict them of sin, righteousness, and judgment? And the natural man rejects such.)

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"

I was just thinking about this the other day. If this event is so important in the founding of the Church, why does it only appear in 1 of the 4 gospels? Mark and Luke have the account of the interaction, however their accounts lack any mention of rocks, keys, binding or loosing. If this event was the founding of Christ's Church on Earth, why is it only mentioned once? The event is not even recorded in John's gospel. When you read the conversation in the 3 gospels where it is recorded, the recurring theme is for the apostles not to reveal Jesus as the Messiah.
That is a good argument. I used that same argument about being imputed with the righteousness of Christ. How many places do we see this doctrine mentioned in scripture? That argument didn't work because the Christians said that it didn't matter.

You mean He's not talking to you? Despite having been Confirmed in your early teens? (Don't worry - He didn't speak to me, either, before I was reborn. Why should He speak to a rebel – except to convict them of sin, righteousness, and judgment? And the natural man rejects such.)

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"
Translation - you can't give us the official interpretation of scripture by the Holy Spirit.

The scribes and Pharisees had authority - therefore do whatever they teach you and follow it...
a lot of people (vipers) have authority: that doesn't make their teaching infallible:

that is why i asked you if the official interpreter meant infallible interpreter
You said it does

Translation - you can't give us the official interpretation of scripture by the Holy Spirit.
Nope! The translation is YOU REFUSE AND REJECT WHAT THE HOLY SPIRIT OF GOD IS TELLING YOU, preferring the fleshly allure of the RCC.

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"

I am going with the Pope as having been given authority by Jesus.

settled?​

Once again, Pope Francis says Mary is not the ‘co-redemptrix’​

The scribes and Pharisees had authority - therefore do whatever they teach you and follow it...
Which is exactly what happened here:
Act 4:19 [MKJV1962] But Peter and John answered and said to them [the scribes and Pharisees] "Whether it is right before God to listen to you more than to God, you judge."
[/SARCASM]

And who led the cries of "Crucify Him!" and who said, "We have no king but Caesar!"? Hmmm... I guess the RCC is doing as the scribes and Pharisees taught! ? ?

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"

The Pope has been given authority. What did Jesus teach his disciples about those holding the position of authority?
you seemed to be very confused about authority:

For instance:
you seem to think an official interpretation means infallible:
you seem to think that once an official interpretation is rendered: all debate ends.

Your church has officially interpreted hundreds of Scripture (see the CCC) but only 6 infallibly
(do you understand the difference?)

Which is exactly what happened here:
Act 4:19 [MKJV1962] But Peter and John answered and said to them [the scribes and Pharisees] "Whether it is right before God to listen to you more than to God, you judge."
[/SARCASM]

And who led the cries of "Crucify Him!" and who said, "We have no king but Caesar!"? Hmmm... I guess the RCC is doing as the scribes and Pharisees taught! ? ?

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"
- and yet Jesus taught his disciples to "do whatever they teach you and follow it...."

Back