Based on grammar and context, Jesus is the True God in 1 John 5:20

You didn't address what I quoted from Barnes.
Barnes is not an authority from God...God authorized Jesus and Jesus authorized the apostles.
Luke 10:16
He that heareth you heareth me; and he that despiseth you despiseth me; and he that despiseth me despiseth him that sent me.
"The true God" includes the Lord Jesus in 1 John 5:20.
So lets break it down...
20 And we know that the Son of God is come, God sent his son a man.

and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true,Jesus teaches us to know the Father...
John 17:25
O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me.

and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ.
we are in the true God when we are in his Son...
John 15:5
I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

This is the true God, and eternal life.
So the father alone is the true God who sent his son Jesus a man...
1 Timothy 2:5
For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
Since John did not clearly distinguish between the Father and the Son in his use of pronouns and titles throughout his epistles (Paul, Peter, and Luke are also ambiguous as well), but was purposely ambiguous.
You are claiming that the scripture is purpously open to more than one interpretation; not having one obvious meaning....if that is the case then God is the author of confusion...
Does John refer to the Father or to the Son in the following passages? Even Unitarians, as well as Greek lexicons and others disagree with at least most of them. What applies to one so often includes the other in the use of singular pronouns and singular titles. This is powerful proof the Lord Jesus is God.

1 John 2:3 (Him; His)
3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.Jesus
1 John 2:4 (Him; His)
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. Jesus
1 John 2:5 (His word)
5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. Jesus

1 John 2:6 (Him; He)
6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked. Jesus
1 John 2:8 (Him)
8 Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth. Jesus

1 John 2:12 (His)
12 I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake. Jesus
1 John 2:13 (Him)
13 I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father. Jesus
1 John 2:14 (Him)
Jesus
1 John 2:20 (Holy One)
Jesus...
1 John 2:25 (He)
Jesus
1 John 2:27 (Him; His; Him)
Jesus
1 John 2:28 (Him; He; Him; His)
Jesus
1 John 2:29 (He; Him)
Jesus...
1 John 3:2 (He; Him X2; He)
1 John 3:3 (Him; He)
1 John 3:5 (He; Him)
1 John 3:6 (Him X3)
1 John 3:7 (He)
1 John 3:19 (Him)

1 John 3:24 (His; Him; He X3)
1 John 4:4 (He)
1 John 4:13 (Him; He X2; His)
1 John 4:17 (He)
1 John 4:19 (He)
all Jesus

Vs 20- 24 the author is referring to God the father...
1 John 4:21 (Him)
1 John 5:14 (Him; His; He)
1 John 5:15 (He; Him)
1 John 5:20 (Him X2; He; true God)
3 John 1:7 (Name)
Your foolishness is amazing...If jesus was god this would have been a good opportunity fot John to say so...1 Ln 4:15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.

We don't have to confess that Jesus is God, because Jesus is not God...if he was John would have told us to confess that Jesus is God

Well put.
You are encouraging a person to rape the scripture...15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God. The scripture does not tell us to confess that Jesus is God...

1 John 2:20 (Holy One)
Jesus

Thanks for making the Unitarian mess even worse with your responses.

Unitarian confusion concerning 1 John 2:20.

The Jehovah's Witnesses (and keiw is a Jehovah's Witness) affirm "the Holy One" is in reference to Jehovah.
The Watchtower: The 144,000 “have an anointing from the holy one," Jehovah (1 John 2:20) (Who Really Have a Heavenly Calling?, March 15, 1991, page 19)
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1991204

Keep up the awful work!

There's more of a mess

1 John 2:28 (Him; He; Him; His)
1 John 2:29 (He; Him)
1 John 3:2 (He; Him X2; He)
1 John 3:3 (Him; He)

You asserted "Jesus".

But your fellow Unitarian heretic believes otherwise.

For the following you wrote "all Jesus".

Lots of confusion with the above.

Last edited:
Fred

Since that one sentence out of what I wrote seems to be all that concerns you, I will address that. Christians on forums, in their attempts at being great defenders of their Trinitarian faith, have a tendency to try to overwhelm as if their many verses and words will influence reality and make their God proud. It’s all in their mind.

1John 5:20 is straight forward in its context that includes 1John 5:18-21. Many words are not needed. Jesus makes a clear statement in John 17:3. John is not about to contradict that clear statement by saying “Oh yeah, Jesus forgot to tell you, he too is the only true God”. And he does not. As with John 17:1-5, the context of 1John 5:18-21 centers on the Father, the only true God. No red herrings need apply.

Jesus Christ is not just a created being. He is not only the son of man, but he is also the only begotten Son of God. Who became a created being for our benefit. A created being clearly associated with the Creator. I realize that Son of God is defined as God the Son in the Trinitarian dictionary. A definition and a dictionary that’s only of use to a Trinitarian. Another useless red herring.

And for your information (as if you care, which your words make me doubt) I am not a Unitarian. They believe that Jesus Christ is just a man. Like the Trinitarians emphasize Jesus as Son of God out of proportion in relation to reality resulting in Trinitarianism, so also Unitarians emphasize Jesus as the son of man out of proportion in relation to reality resulting in a human only Christ (in the JW’s an angelic Christ). The Biblical view does not emphasize with a one sided view in such a way. The Bible apart from the accoutrements of interpretation presents a balanced view. As God intended. There are no red herrings in the Bible.
15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
I just asked him why are we not asked to confess that Jesus is God... I am waiting for his answer...

The Jehovah's Witnesses (and keiw is a Jehovah's Witness) affirm "the Holy One" is in reference to Jehovah.
The Watchtower: The 144,000 “have an anointing from the holy one," Jehovah (1 John 2:20) (Who Really Have a Heavenly Calling?, March 15, 1991, page 19)

Keep up the awful work!
even the demons know that Jesus is the Holy One...
Mark 1:24
Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art, the Holy One of God.

Keep up the awful work!

There's more of a mess

You asserted "Jesus".

Acts 2:27
Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
God did not allow His Holy One to see corruption... The scriptures disagree with you...

even the demons know that Jesus is the Holy One...
Mark 1:24
Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art, the Holy One of God.

So is God.
Revelation 16:5
And I heard the angel of the waters saying, “Righteous are You, who are and who were, O Holy One, because You judged these things. (NASB)

Keep up the awful work!

There's more of a mess

You asserted "Jesus".

For the following you wrote "all Jesus".

Lots of confusion with the above.
I don't have a label as you do, I am not a unitarian or any denomination...I am showing you facts supported by the scripture so your argument iswith the scripture notme...the scriture saus jesus is the Holy one...
Acts 2:
25 For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:
26 Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:
27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
28 Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.
29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.
30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;
31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
I just asked him why are we not asked to confess that Jesus is God... I am waiting for his answer...
To be the Son of God in reference to Jesus is to be God.
The Lord Jesus is affirmed to be "the Son of God" by Paul in Acts 9:20 which is immediately followed by the fact that believers "call upon" (pray to) the Lord Jesus which proves He is God.

I am not a unitarian
Yes, you are.

By the way, you didn't give a response to these:

Last edited:
Acts 2:27
Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
God did not allow His Holy One to see corruption... The scriptures disagree with you...

Isaiah 40:25
To whom then will ye liken me, or shall I be equal? saith the Holy One. (KJV)

BDAG (3rd Edition): of God 1 John 2:20 (hagios, page 11).

Unitarian heretics make a massive mess when trying to differentiate between their creator and their creature-jesus.

So is God.
Revelation 16:5
And I heard the angel of the waters saying, “Righteous are You, who are and who were, O Holy One, because You judged these things. (NASB)
Nope, it is referring to Jesus ...“Righteous are You, who are and who were",...because they refer to his death...God did not die...

Yes, you are.

By the way, you didn't give a response to these:
that does not make me a unitarian... if it does by the same standard it makes you a silly person. People claim what they are I made no such claim.

People claim what they are I made no such claim.
People make claims who they are but that doesn't necessitate they are all accurate.

You are still ignoring these:

Isaiah 40:25
To whom then will ye liken me, or shall I be equal? saith the Holy One. (KJV)
That does not affect my theology as much as it affects yours...you have three equal Gods...
BDAG (3rd Edition): of God 1 John 2:20 (hagios, page 11).
on whose authority?
Unitarian heretics make a massive mess when trying to differentiate between their creator and their creature-jesus.
You have a greater problem trying to explain to the Holy One how he has two others equal to him...

That does not affect my theology as much as it affects yours...you have three equal Gods...
I still have one Triune God. You and your fellow Unitarian heretics can't figure out who is your creator and who is your creature-jesus.

This is really nice to see.

Back