Is the Father called "my God" in John 20:28?

I understand this is what you believe. Too bad, that's not what scripture teaches. Scripture teaches:

1. There is only one God. (Deut. 6:4; Isaiah 43:10)
  2. The Father is that one God.(John 17:3)
  3. The Son is that one God.(John 1:1, 18; 5:18; 8:58; 10:27-30; 12:41; 20:28; Titus 2:13; 2 Peter 1:1; Rev. 1:8, 17-18; 2:8; 22:13 )
  4. The Holy Spirit is that one God. (Acts 5:3-4)
  5. The Father, Son and Spirit are relationally distinct.(John 14:16-17, 26; Romans 8:9-11 )

God Bless

YHWH(Jehovah) alone is the most high over all the earth-Psalm 83:18-- alone is singular.

He as well states in the OT--I am YHWH(Jehovah) besides me( singular) there is no other God.

In Ezekial over and over, about back then, and in the last days--They will have to know i am YHWH(Jehovah)

OK Tell us who/what is the difference in these vss. where theos occurs without the definite article "o."
Joh 1:1, Joh 1:6, Joh 1:12, Joh 1:13 Joh 1:18[2x]? This is now 4 times I have asked.

While waiting for an answer from you I checked the rest of John and found 15 additional vss where Theos occurs without the definite article: Joh 3:2, Joh 3:21, Joh 6:45, Joh 8:54, Joh 9:16, Joh 9:33, Joh 10:33, Joh 10:34, Joh 13:3, Joh 16:27, Joh 16:30, Joh 17:3, Joh 19:7, Joh 20:17[2 x] How do you account for this. The clock is ticking.
It was only needed when-plain theos was in the same paragraph like John 1:1-2Cor 4:4--Ho Theos was used to show a difference of what one was actually being called. The only word in Greek for either God or god is Theos. HoTheos showed the difference like in those 2 verses--plain Theos was not being called-The God-a god is correct. The difference proves it.

Father and Son are relational terms, while Holy Spirit is not, but is intentional and descriptive in another way. In your view, why is this 3rd person called "Holy Spirit"? In other words, does the term have any descriptive meaning at all to you or is the term no more descriptive than the names such as "Bob" or "Felix"? Is the term descriptive to you in any other way other than what you see as a name for the 3rd person of the Trinity?

My opinion on why God choose to use the title "Holy Spirit" for the third person of the Trinity isn't relevant at all to the fact that he did choose to use that title. Frankly, the only meaningful response to my position on the Holy Spirit being a person is to deal with the verses that teach such.

It is interesting that you pick the Father as being the "My" in "My Spirit". Why not the Holy Spirit saying "My Spirit"? You have two other co-equal persons so why is the Father God person getting priority in Trinitarian interpretations?

It's a guess. I can be wrong on my assessment of who the "My" is referring to without it affecting Trinitarianism in any way.

Perhaps a remnant of Gnosticism?

What on God's green earth are you talking about? How on earth can anyone think Gnosticism is relevant at all in this discussion? Frankly, it sounds like you heard someone else claim that Trinitarianism is related to Gnosticism so you repeat the charge without having the foggiest clue what Gnostics taught. In short, anyone who would make this claim is just expressing the FACT that they either don't understand Trinitarianism or Gnosticism or both.

Peter equates the "Spirit" of Joel's 2:28 prophecy as fulfilled in Acts 2 with the infilling of the Holy Spirit. What evidence do you have that Joel 2:28 is not referring to only the Holy Spirit?

Again, does the word "Spirit" in "Holy Spirit" share a word in Joel's 2:28 prophecy of My "Spirit"? Is that significant?

Again,
it's a guess. I can be wrong on my assessment of who the "My" is referring to without it affecting Trinitarianism in any way.

Trinitarians are passive aggressive. In one sense saying God is a mystery when confronted by their doctrine's failings. In another sense being sure that God is "simple" like they have put Him in a test tube and know for sure.

A vacuous cheap shot that isn't meaningful in any way. First of all, you haven't presented any doctrinal failings. Secondly, we never claim to have a full comprehension of all this. We know some, and we are sticking with what we know; the rest is mystery. Thirdly, you misunderstood how we are using the term simple with respect to God. God is simply in that you can't separate him into parts. There is no Jesus part of God and Father's part of God and Spirit's part of God. There is simply God. There are three persons who are that God. How this all works out is not clear, but nothing so far is necessarily wrong. Simplicity is directly inferred from God being before all things and creating all other things. And, the three persons have been revealed in Scripture. So, if you wish to present a "doctrinal failing" then start here. Lastly, I don't see how any of this can be described as being passive aggressive.

ROMANS 8:5-10 and 8:26-27

For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7Because the [c]carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

9But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. 10And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

26Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

You previously said that this passage refers to the Holy Spirit. It is clear from the context that Paul uses a variety of ways to refer to the Holy Spirit. If we break it down, you are also agreeing the following terms refer to the Holy Spirit:

the Spirit
Spirit of God
Spirit of Christ
Christ in you
Spirit of life
Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead
Spirit Himself
mind of the Spirit
Holy Spirit

So when you make a difference between the ontological Spirit and Holy Spirit, it appears very arbitrary. The distinction you make can only be done if you first assume the existence of a 3rd person with a similar name as the ontological nature of God and then reading it back into scripture. But how you read into scripture which member of the Trinity says "My Spirit" and when "the Spirit" refers to the Holy "Spirit" or God's ontological nature is arbitrary.

• It's not arbitrary. It's related to how the term "Spirit" is functioning in the sentence.
  • No one is assuming the existence of a 3rd person. Scripture applies personal pronouns to the Holy Spirit recognizing such as being a third person. John 14:26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you." How can Jesus call the Holy Spirit "the Helper" if the Holy Spirit sin't a person? "The Helper" in Greek παράκλητος is a job title. It equivalent to calling the Holy Spirit the consigliere, or the defense attorney. Such is nonsensical if the Holy Spriit is not a person. Likewise, why would Jesus refer to the Holy Spirit with words like "whom" or "he"? How can a non person teach and bring remembrance? And that's just one verse. I could go on and on with other passages expressing the same idea, the Holy Spriit is a distinct person from the Father and the Son, while still being God.
  • We are not allowed to guess? We must be able to answer every question any person ever asks about Scripture with authority? Come on, anyone who claims such ability is a wolf seeking whom he could devour. We don't claim to know all things. We simply know some things and hold on to what is true.

God Bless

I understand this is what you believe. Too bad, that's not what scripture teaches. Scripture teaches:

1. There is only one God. (Deut. 6:4; Isaiah 43:10)
  2. The Father is that one God.(John 17:3)
  3. The Son is that one God.(John 1:1, 18; 5:18; 8:58; 10:27-30; 12:41; 20:28; Titus 2:13; 2 Peter 1:1; Rev. 1:8, 17-18; 2:8; 22:13 )
  4. The Holy Spirit is that one God. (Acts 5:3-4)
  5. The Father, Son and Spirit are relationally distinct.(John 14:16-17, 26; Romans 8:9-11 )

YHWH(Jehovah) alone is the most high over all the earth-Psalm 83:18-- alone is singular.

Yes, there is one God. That's point 1 in the Trinity.

He as well states in the OT--I am YHWH(Jehovah) besides me( singular) there is no other God.

Again yes, there is one God. That's point 1 in the Trinity.

In Ezekial over and over, about back then, and in the last days--They will have to know i am YHWH(Jehovah)

Nice job showing that you agree with point 1. Do you have anything meaningful to say about everything else taught in Scripture?

God Bless

My opinion on why God choose to use the title "Holy Spirit" for the third person of the Trinity isn't relevant at all to the fact that he did choose to use that title. Frankly, the only meaningful response to my position on the Holy Spirit being a person is to deal with the verses that teach such.

The word "Holy" is an adjective that describes "Spirit" and is also used as a proper noun for God in the New Testament. But even though it is used as a proper noun it still has the actual meaning of a "Spirit" who is holy. Contrast this with the mention of an "unclean spirit" in the NT. "Unclean spirit" was not used as a proper noun in the NT but was certainly descriptive of the demon it referred to.

You are taking great pains to only see the term "Holy Spirit" as the name of the 3rd person of the Trinity and denying or stripping this name of any descriptive meaning.

It's a guess. I can be wrong on my assessment of who the "My" is referring to without it affecting Trinitarianism in any way.

The Bible uses terms like Spirit of the Father or the Spirit of Christ but never "Spirit of the Holy Spirit". I'm sure you can see why. Are you picking up any descriptive meaning of "Holy Spirit" now?

What on God's green earth are you talking about? How on earth can anyone think Gnosticism is relevant at all in this discussion? Frankly, it sounds like you heard someone else claim that Trinitarianism is related to Gnosticism so you repeat the charge without having the foggiest clue what Gnostics taught. In short, anyone who would make this claim is just expressing the FACT that they either don't understand Trinitarianism or Gnosticism or both.

Kind of a rabbit trail here so I won't go there now. Some Trinitarians have the concept of the Father as the "Supreme God" and one sees a sort of unspoken bias for Trinitarians to see the Father as just a little bit more God than the other two persons. Their words betray them.

Again, it's a guess. I can be wrong on my assessment of who the "My" is referring to without it affecting Trinitarianism in any way.

Illustrates that your view is arbitrary and not backed by evidence.

A vacuous cheap shot that isn't meaningful in any way. First of all, you haven't presented any doctrinal failings. Secondly, we never claim to have a full comprehension of all this. We know some, and we are sticking with what we know; the rest is mystery. Thirdly, you misunderstood how we are using the term simple with respect to God. God is simply in that you can't separate him into parts. There is no Jesus part of God and Father's part of God and Spirit's part of God. There is simply God. There are three persons who are that God. How this all works out is not clear, but nothing so far is necessarily wrong. Simplicity is directly inferred from God being before all things and creating all other things. And, the three persons have been revealed in Scripture. So, if you wish to present a "doctrinal failing" then start here. Lastly, I don't see how any of this can be described as being passive aggressive.

I can't imagine Isaiah seeing the Lord High and lifted up and saying, "Wow, the LORD is Simple!. Your concept comes from someone who was over analyzing God in their mind and not reading enough Isaiah. "Part" or "Parts" are normally applied to physical things, but you would presume to apply it to an omnipotent Spirit being? It's like how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Empty philosophy.

• It's not arbitrary. It's related to how the term "Spirit" is functioning in the sentence.
  • No one is assuming the existence of a 3rd person. Scripture applies personal pronouns to the Holy Spirit recognizing such as being a third person. John 14:26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you." How can Jesus call the Holy Spirit "the Helper" if the Holy Spirit sin't a person? "The Helper" in Greek παράκλητος is a job title. It equivalent to calling the Holy Spirit the consigliere, or the defense attorney. Such is nonsensical if the Holy Spriit is not a person. Likewise, why would Jesus refer to the Holy Spirit with words like "whom" or "he"? How can a non person teach and bring remembrance? And that's just one verse. I could go on and on with other passages expressing the same idea, the Holy Spriit is a distinct person from the Father and the Son, while still being God.
  • We are not allowed to guess? We must be able to answer every question any person ever asks about Scripture with authority? Come on, anyone who claims such ability is a wolf seeking whom he could devour. We don't claim to know all things. We simply know some things and hold on to what is true.

Jesus also said within this context in John 14:18 "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." He goes on to explain that the coming of the Holy Spirit will be how He manifests Himself to his disciples. Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty (2 Cor. 3:17). Jesus would be with his disciples in ANOTHER FORM. He was with them in the flesh, but would be in them as the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit has rationality and personality, not as a 3rd person in the Trinity, but as God Himself. The Holy Spirit is God Himself as revealed in spiritual presence and action. The word "Holy" describes God's fundamental moral character and the word Spirit describes God's basic non-moral nature (God is Spirit). Yes all those different terms in Romans 8 refer to the Holy Spirit, but so does the rest of the Bible.

God Bless
Thanks

Yes, there is one God. That's point 1 in the Trinity.

Again yes, there is one God. That's point 1 in the Trinity.

Nice job showing that you agree with point 1. Do you have anything meaningful to say about everything else taught in Scripture?

God Bless

Your translations are erred. Its 100% undeniable fact-The Abrahamic God that Israel served and was taught is a single being God, not 3 beings making up 1 God. Jesus was taught that single being God when he attended those places of worship as was every bible writer= undeniable fact. Jesus teaches that God-John 20:17, Rev 3:12--You outright refuse to believe Jesus and fact over translation errors.

NO godlike qualities with Moses or satan.

Moses caused 10 plagues on Egypt, he parted the red sea in front of all their eyes--Thats not godlike qualities? Satan has mislead 99% minimum ever since Eden, he controlled the weather to kill Jobs children, that isnt god like qualities?

Your translations are erred. Its 100% undeniable fact-The Abrahamic God that Israel served and was taught is a single being God, not 3 beings making up 1 God. Jesus was taught that single being God when he attended those places of worship as was every bible writer= undeniable fact. Jesus teaches that God-John 20:17, Rev 3:12--You outright refuse to believe Jesus and fact over translation errors.
Single BEING IN THREE Persons.

Moses caused 10 plagues on Egypt, he parted the red sea in front of all their eyes--Thats not godlike qualities? Satan has mislead 99% minimum ever since Eden, he controlled the weather to kill Jobs children, that isnt god like qualities?
God caused 10 plagues on Egypt, NOT Moses.

The word "Holy" is an adjective that describes "Spirit" and is also used as a proper noun for God in the New Testament. But even though it is used as a proper noun it still has the actual meaning of a "Spirit" who is holy. Contrast this with the mention of an "unclean spirit" in the NT. "Unclean spirit" was not used as a proper noun in the NT but was certainly descriptive of the demon it referred to.

Except for the fact that it is used as a title for a person in the NT, a "he" who has the job παράκλητος, helper, defense attorney (cf John 14:26). When it is used as a title for a person, it is not "a "Spirit" who is holy"; it's in reference to a particular person.

You are taking great pains to only see the term "Holy Spirit" as the name of the 3rd person of the Trinity and denying or stripping this name of any descriptive meaning.

Do you know of a use of the phrase "the Holy Spirit" that isn't being used as a title for a person in Scripture? If it is being used as a proper noun, then it would be wrong to read into it "any descriptive meaning."

The Bible uses terms like Spirit of the Father or the Spirit of Christ but never "Spirit of the Holy Spirit". I'm sure you can see why. Are you picking up any descriptive meaning of "Holy Spirit" now?

If "Holy Spirit" is being used as a proper noun, then it would be wrong to read into it "any descriptive meaning." Why are you choosing to add a descriptive meaning to a proper noun? FYI, I'm not saying one can't take from the fact that the third person is a Spirit who is holy from the fact that his title is Holy Spirit, but one shouldn't be interpreting a proper down as descriptive. Such would be abusing Scripture.

Kind of a rabbit trail here so I won't go there now. Some Trinitarians have the concept of the Father as the "Supreme God" and one sees a sort of unspoken bias for Trinitarians to see the Father as just a little bit more God than the other two persons. Their words betray them.

Such a depiction would be a denial of Trinitarianism. Congrats, you found an inconsistent Trintiarian. How does that help your case?

Illustrates that your view is arbitrary and not backed by evidence.

Seriously? How can a guess on a more obscure passage condemn an entire perspective as arbitrary? Where's the logic in this?

I can't imagine Isaiah seeing the Lord High and lifted up and saying, "Wow, the LORD is Simple!. Your concept comes from someone who was over analyzing God in their mind and not reading enough Isaiah. "Part" or "Parts" are normally applied to physical things, but you would presume to apply it to an omnipotent Spirit being? It's like how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Empty philosophy.

Interesting that you referenced Isaiah 6, because John says the person Isaiah saw high and lifted up was Jesus(cf John 12:41). FYI, we are denying applying "parts" to an omnipotent Spirit being. It's truly funny when someone tries to mock you for a position they hold.

Jesus also said within this context in John 14:18 "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." He goes on to explain that the coming of the Holy Spirit will be how He manifests Himself to his disciples. Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty (2 Cor. 3:17). Jesus would be with his disciples in ANOTHER FORM. He was with them in the flesh, but would be in them as the Holy Spirit.

Yes, how does Jesus saying "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." undermine Jesus referring to the Holy Spirit in the third person as he/him/whom? The use of the 3rd person argues against the possibility that the HS is Jesus.

Where does Jesus "explain that the coming of the Holy Spirit will be how He manifests Himself to his disciples."? If you assert something, back it up. You kept on talking, but you never justified any of these claims.

The Holy Spirit has rationality and personality, not as a 3rd person in the Trinity, but as God Himself. The Holy Spirit is God Himself as revealed in spiritual presence and action. The word "Holy" describes God's fundamental moral character and the word Spirit describes God's basic non-moral nature (God is Spirit). Yes all those different terms in Romans 8 refer to the Holy Spirit, but so does the rest of the Bible.

Jesus says "And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever. Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you." John 14:16-17. Jesus clearly differentiates both himself and the Father from this Comforter. Your theory makes sense until one actually looks at the wording of the NT. Not to mention the fact that you just contradicted yourself. You just said Jesus "was with them in the flesh, but would be in them as the Holy Spirit.", but then you say "The Holy Spirit is God Himself as revealed in spiritual presence and action." Which is it? Is the HS "God Himself as revealed in spiritual presence and action" or Jesus?

God Bless

Trinitarians believe God is a singular being.
Trinitarians don't believe in 3 beings making up 1 God.
Yes, Jesus was taught a single being God. Who are you arguing with?
What "translation errors."? You keep on making vague references without ever backing up your assertions.

God Bless

It was only needed when-plain theos was in the same paragraph like John 1:1-2Cor 4:4--Ho Theos was used to show a difference of what one was actually being called. The only word in Greek for either God or god is Theos. HoTheos showed the difference like in those 2 verses--plain Theos was not being called-The God-a god is correct. The difference proves it.
As I see not a clue. Whenever you make a grammatical statement/argument please cite an accredited Greek gramma. As it is you just pulled something out of thin air. I don't meant something posted on some anonymous web site. I mean an accredited peer reviewed grammar published by an accredited publisher. I'm not holding my breath cuz such a critter don't exist.

It wasnt JW sources--i wrote Ho Theos in my bing search. Only the Father is called that in the NT=Fact.
Still an anonymous source. Find me something peer reviewed written by a scholar with some letters after his/her name; e.g. ThD, PhD, MTh etc.

God caused 10 plagues on Egypt, NOT Moses.
He did it through Moses as he is the one who does it all through Jesus as well-Acts 2:22,, 1Cor 8:5-6-- It is God doing it all, you are correct. Jesus teaches he could do 0 of his own-John 5:30

Back