Obedience and antinomianism

Antinomianism is the idea that because we are under grace we need not observe moral law

Moses law the 10 commandments are a reflection of God moral nature. On that basis the christian is obligated to obey them.

Jesus himself repeated the commandments and affirmed the necessity to obey them while giving them their full meaning.

and summed them up in these two you shall love the lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind and your neighbor as

yourself. If you do these you keep all the law

Perhaps the only controversial commandment is the one to honor the sabbath

Some literally hold to a seventh day sabbath

but I believe the sabbath is a type of the rest we enter into when we trust in Christ and rest from our own work as a means of

salvation
Is there scripture you can't point me to showing distinctions in the law? Specifically the "moral law".

Antinomianism means anti law. I am not anti law at all. Like I said earlier, everyone is under some sort of law. I am under the law of the Spirit of life, which is the Gospel, not the law of Moses. The law of Moses is not the way one should live either. It's not the rule of life for Christians.

Is there scripture you can't point me to showing distinctions in the law? Specifically the "moral law".

Antinomianism means anti law. I am not anti law at all. Like I said earlier, everyone is under some sort of law. I am under the law of the Spirit of life, which is the Gospel, not the law of Moses. The law of Moses is not the way one should live either. It's not the rule of life for Christians.
Not sure that I can but I do think the nature of the various laws are not difficult to see

There is the moral Law which concerns matter of essential morality. Thou shall not kill. steal, bear false witness etc

There is relational (ceremonial) Law which deals with ones relation to God. The sacrifices and rituals of the old covenant are an example of these

Civil. Civil law regulated the daily life of the Israelites and had provisions regarding persons and possessions.

Of the three the moral law is a reflection of God's moral nature. These do not change because God's nature does not change. So killing will remain wrong, stealing lying, bearing false witness etc these may not be annulled

Not sure that I can but I do think the nature of the various laws are not difficult to see

There is the moral Law which concerns matter of essential morality. Thou shall not kill. steal, bear false witness etc

There is relational (ceremonial) Law which deals with ones relation to God. The sacrifices and rituals of the old covenant are an example of these

Civil. Civil law regulated the daily life of the Israelites and had provisions regarding persons and possessions.

Of the three the moral law is a reflection of God's moral nature. These do not change because God's nature does not change. So killing will remain wrong, stealing lying, bearing false witness etc these may not be annulled
Ok I see it as just the law. I don't see distinctions in the law.

Hey @fltom what was the name of that new word for word Bible version you were talking about a couple moths sago and the link for reading it online . Thanks

Hey @fltom what was the name of that new word for word Bible version you were talking about a couple moths sago and the link for reading it online . Thanks
Legacy standard version

If you just want to read it online

With base accordance software

Now available with the New and Old testament

What Laws from the old covenant carry forward into the new and which do not?
None. I'm not under not obligated to the law of Moses. I'm under the covenant of grace.

I do not believe in the "covenant of works". I actually just found out last night about this concept after researching what you had asked me. I am sorry, I was unfamiliar with this theology until now. I do not believe Adamv and Eve had free will. I believe God decreed the fall in order to bring glory to Himself through His Son redeeming a particular people.

"But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."
Genesis 2:17 KJV

This does not mean "if you don't eat then you will live." This was God telling Adam that "when he eats, he will die."

Why would I want to talk about my pathetic attempts at keeping the law? Christ is the one we should be talking about.

"But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain."
Titus 3:9 KJV

Why would I want to talk about my pathetic attempts at keeping the law? Christ is the one we should be talking about.

"But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain."
Titus 3:9 KJV
Jesus and the Apostle’s affirm to Love God with all your mind heart and soul and your neighbor as yourself are New Testament commands for believers to obey.

Are you saying they are not ?

And why would you deliberately disobey Jesus and the Apostle’s teachings and commands to Love God and others ?

hope this helps !!!

Jesus and the Apostle’s affirm to Love God with all your mind heart and soul and your neighbor as yourself are New Testament commands for believers to obey.

And why would you deliberately disobey Jesus and the Apostle’s teachings and commands to Love God and others ?

hope this helps !!!
It's interesting reading the discussion here this morning as Ray Stedman's devotion for today seems to fit right in.

Last edited:

hope this helps !!!
I think he's drawing a distinction between the Law of Moses, and the Law of Christ; that's what I do...

I think he's drawing a distinction between the Law of Moses, and the Law of Christ; that's what I do...
No I do not think so but we will see. I think he believes one is saved by faith apart from repentance and obedience/ Lordship. A disciple comes after, not first as Jesus taught. A disciple is the beginning point in the gospels and in the great commission.

Its the old false dichotomy in Christianity

faith = savior. " accept Jesus "
disciple = Lord a subsequent idea that is an option to embrace or reject- ie its the sin issue/self that gets justified to reject Lordship. That is the bottom line and what is really at the root of the issue.

One happens at salvation the other is for later if it even happens at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back