Atonement limited or general?

the Atonement is universal in scope( sufficient for all) and limited in efficacy ( efficient for some) . I believe @ReverendRV is in agreement.
One might say the Atonement is limited by Unbelievers; so it is LTD...

The argument is not that the Atonement is limited; but why it's limited...

hello gentiles lol
John 11,
Nor do you understand that it is better for you that one man should die for the people, not that the whole nation should perish.” He did not say this of his own accord, but being high priest that year he prophesied that Jesus would die for the nation, and not for the nation only, but also to gather into one the children of God who are scattered abroad. So from that day on they made plans to put him to death.

hello gentiles lol
When I say Israel to this group, I expect it to understand that it's Spiritual Israel...

But you may like this. The Atonement is unlimited because Jesus is the Second Adam; who was a Gentile. This may tempt you to embrace Covenant Theology though. The Adamic Covenant and the Mosaic Covenant were Covenants of Works, and Jesus Kept the Adamic Covenant by Keeping the Mosaic Covenant. So long story short, as in Adam All die; All are (can be) made Alive. The unlimited Scope of Original Sin's reach is paralleled by the unlimited Scope of the Gospel's reach...

But though this is true, the Atonement is still limited to Spiritual Israel...

Last edited:
When I say Israel to this group, I expect it to understand that it's Spiritual Israel...

But you may like this. The Atonement is unlimited because Jesus is the Second Adam; who was a Gentile. This may tempt you to embrace Covenant Theology though. The Adamic Covenant and the Mosaic Covenant were Covenants of Works, and Jesus Kept the Adamic Covenant by Keeping the Mosaic Covenant. So long story short; as in Adam All die, All are (can be) made Alive. The unlimited Scope of Original Sin's reach is paralleled by the unlimited Scope of the Gospel's reach...

But though this is true, the Atonement is still limited to Spiritual Israel...
That’s your doctrine once again the Bible never states the atonement is for “ spiritual “ Israel.

hope this helps !!!

Scriptures to consider:

Colossians 1
For it pleased the Father that in Him all the fullness should dwell, 20 and by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, by Him, whether things on earth or things in heaven, having made peace through the blood of His cross.

Roman's 5:
For when we were still without strength, ]in due time Christ died for the ungodly.....

Therefore, as through [h]one man’s offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one[i] Man’s righteous act the free gift came to all men,
resulting in justification of life. 19 For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man’s obedience many will be made righteous.

20 Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound. But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more

2 Corinthians 5
18 Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, 19 that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not [d]imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation.

20 Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God.

33 Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!

1 corinthians 15: 21 For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive. 23 But each one in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ’s at His coming. 24 Then comes the end, when He delivers the kingdom to God the Father, when He puts an end to all rule and all authority and power. 25 For He must reign till He has put all enemies under His feet. 26 The last enemy that will be destroyed is death. 27 For “He has put all things under His feet
Posting scripture is easy.

I’ll go with a particular atonement.

John 10:24-29
So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.” Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not among my sheep. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.
That does nothing at all to teach a limited scope of the atonement

Rather it looks like you confound the extent of the atonement (who did Christ die for) with the application of the atonement (who was saved by it)

That does nothing at all to teach a limited scope of the atonement

Rather it looks like you confound the extent of the atonement (who did Christ die for) with the application of the atonement (who was saved by it)
Your standard deflection.

Your standard deflection.
You have no idea what you are talking about

all these address the extent of the atonement

Christ died for all

Romans 5:18
Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
1 Timothy 2:4–6
4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; 6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.
Hebrews 2:9
But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
Isaiah 53:6
All we like sheep have gone astray; We have turned every one to his own way; And the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
1 Timothy 4:10
For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.
For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.
John 6:51
I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.
2 Corinthians 5:14–15
14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead: 15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
John 11:51
And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;
1 John 2:2
And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
2 Corinthians 5:19
To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

you never address it

You have no idea what you are talking about

all these address the extent of the atonement

Christ died for all

Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; 6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.
But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
All we like sheep have gone astray; We have turned every one to his own way; And the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.
14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead: 15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;
And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

you never address it
Christ died for those given to Him out of the world, only.

Had He paid the debt for those in hell, they wouldn't be in hell.

Christ died for those given to Him out of the world, only.

Had He paid the debt for those in hell, they wouldn't be in hell.
Scripture states otherwise

Christ died for all

you never address it

Scripture states otherwise

Christ died for all

you never address it
Christ is saving His people, ONLY, from their sins (Mt 1:21).

That addresses it.

Back