Jesus Ransom was for " All People " not some people

I'm glad to see the new Members seem to be Calvinists...
It would be much nicer imho to have more Arminian posters like Doug for some balance. :)

Do you think a forum full of calvinists would be a good thing ?

If so reading books would be much better than that imho. Or watching youtube vidoes with Calvinist theologians/teachers.

The whole point with this forum is to have your beliefs challenged by the other side. Having a "rawraw" section with cheerleader's doesn't make it better.

It would be much nice imho to have more Arminian posters like Doug for some balance. :)
Amen to that...

More cooperative and congenial Posters would be great. IE People who will accept a Biblical Truth from the other side. This is one reason I describe myself as the most liberal 5-Point Calvinist there is. It's kind of like being a Political Moderate who votes Republican, while everyone else is a Right or Left Winger who seem to Hate one another. When I say something poignant, extremists ignore it; because if they engage it, they would HAVE to change...

That's just wrong...

Last edited:
Amen to that...

More cooperative and congenial Posters would be great. IE People who will accept a Biblical Truth from the other side. This is one reason I describe myself as the most liberal 5-Point Calvinist there is. It's kind of like being a Political Moderate who votes Republican, while everyone else is a Right or Left Winger who seem to Hate one another. When I say something poignant, extremists ignore it; because if they engage it, they would HAVE to change...

That's just wrong...
Amen a hundred fold brother !

Welcome to CARM!

We've been getting several new Members; and that's odd for CARM. I would be suspicious if they begin as Calvinists but later change; practically no one ever changes here at CARM..
Thanks -- I spent several years on CARM a looong time ago, have been off for a decade or more. Set up up a new account (same user name) last year to see if an old atheist friend had been around, but apparently missed him by a couple months :(

FWIW to Chalcedon, cage-stage is no longer visible in my rearview. It's been difficult finding threads I even want to engage -- the vast majority are either open flame wars and/or polluted with insipid nonsense ?‍♂️ -- so, I guess CARM hasn't changed much ?

Last edited:
Thanks -- I spent several years on CARM a looong time ago, have been off for a decade or so. Set up up a new account (same user name) last year to see if an old atheist friend had been around, but apparently missed him by a couple months :(

FWIW to Chalcedon, cage-stage is no longer visible in my rearview. It's been difficult finding threads I even want to engage -- the vast majority are either open flame wars and/or polluted with insipid nonsense ?‍♂️ -- so, I guess CARM hasn't changed much ?
As an fyi I used to be civic when you were here back in the day

The whole point with this forum is to have your beliefs challenged by the other side. Having a "rawraw" section with cheerleader's doesn't make it better.

... says the give living in the echo chambrer with Tom and Johnny, and with all the Calvinists on "ignore", and just cutting-and-pasting quotes from anti- websites.

Being late to the game, I scanned through a fair chunk (not all) of the 40 pgs of this thread. Perhaps I missed it somewhere along the line, but I haven't seen discussion of the essential functions of the priestly office -- i.e., sacrifice and intercession. Owen lays out the matter in fine detail in 'The Death of Death in the Death of Christ'. To paraphrase, the Lord Jesus Christ is a 'faithful High Priest'. Whatever else might be said, one cannot suppose He was faithful unless He accomplished His whole duty as priest. Those duties necessarily include *both* the offering of the sacrifice *and* the priestly intercession that efficaciously applies that sacrifice to the sinner(s). So, then, as a faithful High Priest, for whomever He offered sacrifice, He also intetceded to apply that atoning work; the only alternative is that He was not, in fact, faithful in His High Preistly duties.

Last edited:
Being late to the game, I scanned through a fair chunk (not all) of the 40 pgs of this thread. Perhaps I missed it somewhare along the line, but I haven't seen discussion of the essential functions of the priestly office -- i.e., sacrifice and intercession. Owen lays out the matter in fine detail in 'The Death of Death in the Death of Christ'. To paraphrase, the Lord Jesus Christ is a 'faithful High Priest'. Whatever else might be said, one cannot suppose He was faitful unless He accomplished His whole duty as priest. Those duties necessarily include *both* the offering of the sacrifice *and* the priestly intercession that efficaciously applies that sacrifice to the sinner(s). So, then, as a faithful High Priest, for whomever He offered sacrifice, He also intetceded to apply that atoning work; the only alternative is that He was not, in fact, faithful in His High Preistly duties.

It's amazing to me that non-Calvinists will dedicate their time spending hours here per day, over a span of months or years, but they won't take the time to read pivotal and foundational books to help them understand the other side, such as:
- Bondage of the Will (Luther)
- Death of Death in the Death of Christ (Owen)
- The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination (Boettner)
- The Potter's Freedom (White)

They'll quote excerpts they find on websites simply to quote them, and then say, "Oh, I don't like that, therefore it must be wrong".

It's amazing to me that non-Calvinists will dedicate their time spending hours here per day, over a span of months or years, but they won't take the time to read pivotal and foundational books to help them understand the other side, such as:
- Bondage of the Will (Luther)
- Death of Death in the Death of Christ (Owen)
- The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination (Boettner)
- The Potter's Freedom (White)

They'll quote excerpts they find on websites simply to quote them, and then say, "Oh, I don't like that, therefore it must be wrong".
IMO, Edwards is essential reading on the question of the will -- he demolishes the opposing view simply by way of defining what the will is (the capacity for making choices) and how it operates -- and asserts that a will is, by definition, free to choose whatever it desires. Our problem isn't that our will isn't free, but that our desires are corrupted & we are thus incapable of choosing as we ought.

IMO, Edwards is essential reading on the question of the will -- he demolishes the opposing view simply by way of defining what the will is (the capacity for making choices) and how it operates -- and asserts that a will is, by definition, free to choose whatever it desires. Our problem isn't that our will isn't free, but that our desires are corrupted & we are thus incapable of choosing as we ought.
What do you say when someone says that's easier said than proven?

I think it goes a little deeper, but great reply!
Not only are we incapable of choosing what would be beneficial for us, which is life, but we’re dead to it. I believe we have free will according to our nature. The natural man not only is incapable of choosing life, but he also wants nothing to do with it; considering his nature is at enmity with God.

Back