Syriac Peshitta, KJVO "pure" line, and the Comma

The simplest example is Cyprian, since the invisible allegory claim is totally absurd.

You’re the only one claiming the nonsensical straw man term “invisible allegory,” and it’s a big part of why nobody scholarly takes your objections seriously.
Comedically? Sure. I mean, we laugh at the straw men that make Ray Bolger seem far more human than his "Oz" character was.

But one who desires to be taken seriously shouldn't be reduced to this level of straw man engagement.
It's simply an admission that the opponent neither has a serious argument nor should be taken seriously.

Cyprian would look like a total fool if he wrote that the Bible had an important phrase that it actually did not have.

Uh yeah, like the layperson in the pew who didn't have a bible was going to check this out.

And again - just because he had it in his text doesn't mean John wrote it originally.

Cyprian glossed numerous passages.
That's what people did back then.
I documented all of this.

You denying that reality doesn't alter that reality.

Especially as he was known for accurate Bible quoting.

Well, except he wasn't.
If he was, he wouldn't have glossed passages.
He also wouldn't have interpreted passages preposterously, which I showed to be true as well.

And please don’t quote old works that got stuff wrong. It’s nothing more than stubborn refusal to admit error on your part.

I'm still trying to figure out why AFTER reading my thesis that DOCUMENTS all this stuff, you keep coming back with the already refuted arguments.

The only people I've ever known to do this were cult members who had been drilled in repeating the same nonsense over and over.

Such might be fitting as you are a member of the Oneness cult - by your own admission.

But you really need to come up with something better than "Nuh-UH!!!"

So we must start from the base that Cyprian's Bible had the heavenly witnesses.

We have no reason to assume Cyprian ONLY had one Bible.....so your starting point is demonstrably false.
What's funny is that you yourself want to make that same argument when you keep claiming - without a shred of evidence - that Cyprian knew Greek.

In other words, you're JUST FINE with Cyprian having more than one Bible when it suits your purposes but now you want to limit him to one.

The reality is that most of those guys in the early days had more than one Bible - just like English-speaking people do today.

And that means that Tertullian's similar reference was also from the verse.

Logical fallacy: non sequitur.

One should figure that if you had actual evidence of this it would not be invisible evidence.

Later, there are some Latins who may not have had the verse in their Bible,

One is inclined to say, "Every single commentator" in this amusing attempt to limit counter-evidence.

as mentioned by Jerome.

Continues arguing in circles after corrected......

Yet there are 20 full verse references in the same era, which TNC does not post, since that would destroy his argument attempt.

You mean 20 full verse references in LATIN would somehow destroy his argument that this is a LATIN corruption?????

I'm trying to follow you here because you're not being clear.

The early existence of the Comma Johanneum IN LATIN is admitted by all - if by early you mean "late fourth century, perhaps a tad earlier."
But this proves nothing for your claim that John wrote it.

John didn't write his epistles in Latin, he wrote them in Greek.
There's not a grammar vindication - on multiple levels - and you know this fact.

I'm not sure why you can't just admit, "Okay, I'm wrong on this issue, and I've been wrong for over 20 years."

It would be the first step to your enlightenment of truth.

So I have the pdf copy of the book The Witness of God is Greater (which technically isnt even written by Avery, since another man is listed as the author) as it appears at Avery's forum.

It appears that he went and found some authors more in line with his position to provide the Potamius excerpts (beginning at pg 75) with verse 7 as the reference instead of verse 8, which was provided by Conti. Conti's work on Potamius has been completely wiped from Avery and company's book!

So I have the pdf copy of the book The Witness of God is Greater (which technically isnt even written by Avery, since another man is listed as the author) as it appears at Avery's forum.

It appears that he went and found some authors more in line with his position to provide the Potamius excerpts (beginning at pg 75) with verse 7 as the reference instead of verse 8, which was provided by Conti. Conti's work on Potamius has been completely wiped from Avery and company's book!

664 pages of that nonsense?

Ok I can think of one way I’d read it. If Avery Spencer can arrange for the complete destruction of everything on earth except for me and this 664-page nonsense….eventually I’d probably get bored and take a look at it.

That's because I discovered the CONTEXT of chapters 1 and 2 of "Letter on the Substance of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit," (which I suspected all along anyway) gave the absolute opposite sense to what Avery Inc., claimed.

Avery NOW knows, that Potamius comes the closest to his Strawman invention "invisible allegory" when he (Potamius) says he was giving the "hidden figurative meanings that lye underneath" the meaning of the literal text in the sentence before the first quotation and his eisegetical explanation of 1 John 5:8(Clause-D) (just one sentence away, at the start of paragraph/section 3).

NOTE: My clause division, for analytical purposes and more precise referencing of the individual clauses in 1 John 5:7 and 1 John 5:8 will now be a four part (A to D) rather than a three part (A to C) division.

Stephanus/Received Text (1550)

1 John 5:7
[Part-A] ὅτι τρεῖς εἰσιν οἱ μαρτυροῦντες [Part-B] εν τῷ οὐρανῷ, [Part-C] ὁ πατήρ, ὁ λόγος, καὶ τὸ Ἅγιον Πνεῦμα· [Part-D]
καὶ οὗτοι οἱ τρεῖς ἕν εἰσιν

1 John 5:8
[Part-A] καὶ τρεῖς εἰσιν οἱ μαρτυροῦντες [Part-B] ἕν τῇ γῇ, [Part-C] τὸ πνεῦμα καὶ τὸ ὕδωρ καὶ τὸ αἷμα [Part-D] καὶ οἱ τρεῖς εἰς τὸ ἕν εἰσὶν

664 pages of that nonsense?

Ok I can think of one way I’d read it. If Avery Spencer can arrange for the complete destruction of everything on earth except for me and this 664-page nonsense….eventually I’d probably get bored and take a look at it.

I agree.

I suspect there is doubled (possibly tripled) up references. The Latin psuedographic Athanasius "De Trinitate" for example, attributed to multiple authors, may be doubled up etc.

It's messy, inaccurate, and poorly written.

Really?
Did you not read page 20?

You are behind.
As I corrected this back two weeks ago.

No answer.

Actually, it looks like Bill Brown made the exact same blunder in the paper, albeit in a less bombastic manner.
On p. 21-22.

This is such a major blunder (Bill quoted Nolan that the solecism only involves neuter nouns, although Bulgaris is even more helpful) that it puts the whole paper under a cloud. How could his reader(s) miss this scholastic absurdity?

This is really the key argument in the paper, and it falls to the ground. Did Bill come with this blunder by himself, or was he following a poster named Jim some years back?

Bill Brown was concerned about omission critiques, saying the number of word limitation was a factor. Fair enough. However, there is no excuse for claiming that verses with masculine and/or feminine nouns refute or overthrow the grammatical argument!

Then we have the question of 1 John 5:8

I then noted this objection was made OVER TWO CENTURIES AGO (also p 20) and that Nolan invented a truly preposterous notion to get around the obvious.

The reference you give on p. 20 is:

Christian Remembrancer
John Oxlee
https://books.google.com/books?id=i_EDAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA138

But, if we may not be permitted to personify the spirit, the water, and the blood, when the seventh verse is omitted, how, I ask, shall we be any more at liberty to do so when it is actually thrust in?

This is as close as he gets, but it is way off-base because afaik Nolan does not claim that the spirit, water and blood are personified. If he does, I would like to see it, and I would chalk it up to error.

However, we can allow it as the one known early example of a "solecism anyway" argument.

And I do not see anything that matches your claim of a "preposterous notion" that relates directly to the grammatical argument. We can go into the Eusebius issues separately, the back and forth with Thomas Falconer (1772-1839).

Last edited:
Now – at this point – I’ve given the very thing to you that you have demanded. Are you now going retract your years of asserting that the insertion of the Comma “fixes a grammatical problem” since all it actually does is move it to verse eight? Or will you invent a run around reason as to why what's here isn't really what's here? If so, you're at odds with Nolan, who admitted it and then lied about the solution.

This is fallaciously circular, as I pointed out in a post earlier on another thread:

See the post above.

You are obviously offering a fallacious circular argument, since Eugenius Bulgaris and Georgios Babiniotis (and all those who offer the grammatical argument) both take the position that there is no solecism in the earthly witnesses verse in the text that has both the heavenly and earthly witnesses.

The post above.

Good question.

The heavenly witnesses make this into a two-verse grammatical unit, in which the masculine grammar of the heavenly witnesses pulls along, or covers, the earthly witnesses.

1 John 5:7-8 (AV)
For there are three that bear record in heaven,
the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost:
and these three are one.

And there are three that bear witness in earth,
the spirit, and the water, and the blood:
and these three agree in one.

This is explained by Georgios Babiniotis as syntactic parallelism.

There are other phrases and explanations given, but I most like this one from Babiniotis.

This is why there has not been any concern expressed about the full text, afaik, till the contras of recent times.

And it would be interesting to see if any of the folks arguing against authenticity used this "solecism anyway" argument. Oxlee may have used it contra Nolan, possibly, however I do not find it on a quick check.

Note that Bengel's idea of flipping verses would fail due to this problem coming over to the Greek text.

And the Erasmus concern about the grammar was expressed solely in the context of the earthly witnesses text.

Last edited:
Avery Spencer, at the time he posted this (on May 11), knew the very first example cited is the very kind of thing he claims doesn’t exist (even though he himself doesn’t read Greek). It’s completely understandable why he would want to pretend I didn’t address this issue, but it makes it impossible to believe that his actual concern is “truth,” too.

You want to avoid the basic issue of the 16 blunder verses, so you repeat this again and again.

However, trying to use 1 John 5:8 as a diversion from your obvious 16-verse blunder is simply a worthless circular argument.
Good try, though.

=============================

Ok, working on catching up.
For about a week I had very limited posting, and was emphasizing especially the fascinating Granville Sharp studies.

Time to soon take a walk on the Hudson River bridge, Poughkeepsie to Highland, and the Mayfest.
Grace and peace to readers in Jesus name.

Maybe I will run through a bit more first :).

=============================

He also knew I had SIX OTHER POINTS – even the first of which Nolan concedes and which leads to the last chapter of the thesis – which Avery Spencer does not even mention or touch. He’s been asked for years to give a coherent answer regarding why NOBODY ever mentions this impossible Greek (to hear Bulgaris-Nolan-Dabney tell the tale). He even grabs the Maynard nonsense of “but Gregory,” but guess what? I even covered that on page 16. At this point there is literally NOTHING of his objections that I didn’t cover. Nothing having to do with GREEK.

Actually I have answered that numerous times.
Here is one.

The Macedonians noticed the discord in the 300s in their discussions with Gregory Nazianzen, so it is not a new grammar discovery. Erasmus gave us a pithy note about it as well, since he was, at first, trying to defend the short solecism text.

Matthaei also reported a scholium that tries to explain the masculine grammar as a reference to the Trinity.

Plus most scribes are simply copyists.
It is not their job to correct the text, or write various notes.

=====================

As to your other attempts, the six other points, surely we could discuss every one of them.
My pleasure.

However, first you should explain why you show sixteen clearly irrelevant verses, with masculine and feminine substantives. You clearly were under a delusion that any grammatical discord, of any nature, refutes the grammatical gender argument as given by Eugenius and Nolan.

As a reminder, this man was challenged to a public debate on this subject back in 2011.
Real bold and tough here – but not willing to stand before an audience with this nonsense, where he’d self-immolate quickly.
It would make Quayle vs Bentsen look competitive by comparison - and he knows this.

I've never had an interest in a debate with a potty-mouth person. (Easy to document on BVDB.)
You once apologized for all that raunchy stuff, on BVDB when I was not there, but then you retracted the apology.

Plus you never really spelled out the exact topic, the venue or anything, you just wanted this nonsense type of talking point.

Including six that PRECEDE the listing of 1 John 5:8 and NONE of which you have ever addressed coherently at all.
First we take the Blunder 16, and we add the circular earthly witnesses.

When that is complete, we look at other verses and arguments.

This is fallaciously circular, as I pointed out in a post earlier on another thread:
Because you make that claim does not prove it to be true. Your own opinions are often fallaciously circular.

While each statement in your allegations and claims in several of your posts have been examined, countered, or answered, you try to dodge, avoid, and dismiss those responses. You also improperly attack the honesty of other posters.

Meaning you don't comprehend his argument or it's logical implications. You don't get it, you're twisting it, you're misrepresenting it, and have attempted to represent it as your own (when he goes against your very own tenets), all of which will be borne out in its own good time. But be assured, you are VERY much mistaken.

Last edited:
Back