What is "freewill"?

reading through some of this thread is like being in the Twilite Zone . I can hear Serlings voice rofl....... :ROFLMAO:

If "there is no will in existence that is free from God", including "God’s will”, then only God's will is free. God is the only One capable of possessing a free will, as He is the only One capable of knowing what freedom is and means. We can attribute that up to His omniscience.
As his image bearers do you think he made us like him in this respect? Did he give us a free will?

I doubt my will is defining God's will.

You must know a lot!!!

From post 158 ..... which was snipped.

Is there a argument forthcoming?

Well if "free will" means the ability to deny God and you believe you have "free will", then you aren't following God's will, but your own.

As his image bearers do you think he made us like him in this respect? Did he give us a free will?

I am not defining God's Will as the ability to deny or contradict Himself. That definition is a human construct that doesn't exist in reality, because God is unable to deny or contradict Himself in reality.
So, I would define God's will as 'Free Will' and the inability to deny or contradict Himself because of His omniscience. And we as believers are only able to possess 'Free Will' when we acquire His 'Will' through believing in accordance in and with Him. And it is only the truth that can give us real freedom.

So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (John 8:31-32)

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (John 14:6)

Last edited:
Is there a argument forthcoming?

Well if "free will" means the ability to deny God and you believe you have "free will", then you aren't following God's will, but your own.

So are you saying God does allow for free will?

Not looking to argue the point either.

So are you saying God does allow for free will?

Not looking to argue the point either.

No. God's Kingdom does not allow for denying or contradicting Him.

If God can't deny or contradict Himself in reality, then in reality God doesn't allow for a contradiction of His will.

If God is the only one capable of offering freedom from self-deception, then believing you can freely deny or contradict God leads to its implementation.

If God can't deny or contradict Himself in reality, then in reality God doesn't allow for a contradiction of His will.

If God is the only one capable of offering freedom from self-deception, then believing you can freely deny or contradict God leads to its implementation.

What about this scripture, from Paul.

Everything is permissable, but not all things are beneficial?

What about this scripture, from Paul.

Everything is permissable, but not all things are beneficial?

What about it?

If you think this allows for God and His children denying and contradicting Him, then make your case.

You're word is a lamp unto my feet.

And some times we make mistakes.

Free Will ~ by Reverend RV

Romans 7:18 NASB; For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not.

So you have Fee Will, hunh? We all know what is meant when we talk about Free Will; we’re individuals who have the option to make choices in our own Lives. After all, God gave Mankind Dominion while we were in the Garden of Eden; right? But a problem usually arises when people start claiming just how free their Will is. Contra Causal Free Will means our Will is SO free that we have the power to act without the constraint of Necessity or Fate. Most people accept this definition; but should they? If you are like me, sometimes you nonchalantly stop to get a couple of burritos. It’s always at the last bite that I remember I’ve been planning on just eating one serving; “the best laid plans of mice and men”! How do we say it, “There’s a piece of pie in the refrigerator calling my name”? You object, “I believe in Mind over Matter!” Part of the definition for Free Will is the ability to act at one’s own discretion; so in part you are right…

There is a foolproof method we can use to show you that there is no such thing as a Free Will apart from Necessity or Fate, care to see for yourself? ~ Have you ever told a Lie? What do we call people who Lie? What do we call Liars who can’t help themselves? Has there ever been a time you couldn’t help but to Lie because you were afraid of looming Consequences? ~ Have you ever Stolen something? What do you call those who Steal? What do we call those who can’t stop Stealing? Have you ever taken anything that didn’t belong to you, because you wanted it SO bad that you couldn’t stand it? So far you are a Compulsive Liar and a Kleptomaniac. Can you go all day without Lying or stealing? Oh you think you can? Try this then; go the rest of the day without lusting after all those beautiful people you meet. Jesus said that Lust is Adultery of the Heart; now how free is your Will?? It gets worse, these are just three of the Ten Commandments; if God judges you by them would you be innocent or guilty? Does this bother you?

The Wages of Sin is death, either death in an Eternal Hell or death on a Cross; you choose. We always obey our strongest desires; has yours changed? ~ For God so loved the world that he gave us his only begotten Son Jesus Christ, so that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have Everlasting Life! Jesus always did the Will of God his Father, so he never Sinned against him like you and I have. Because of his Righteousness, we can be cleared of all the charges which God’s law has made against us; but only if the Law of God charges Jesus instead of us. He was put to death in our place by dying on ‘that’ Cross; shedding his blood as payment for our Sin. He was buried for three days but arose from the dead! We’re Saved by Grace through Faith in the risen Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, without Works. Repent of your Sins, Confess Jesus Christ as Lord and find a Church that teaches the Bible verse by verse. ~ If you fear God, your Will is free to choose Christ and nothing will stop you. But if you don’t, you’re bound by Sin…

Luke 12:50 NIV; But I have a baptism to undergo, and what constraint I am under until it is completed!

Errr ....

So I had no free will, before conversion.

and now after conversion?

IMO, some of you guys tend to overstate your case.

Errr ....

So I had no free will, before conversion.

and now after conversion?

IMO, some of you guys tend to overstate your case.
Even Job had to make a Covenant with his eyes not to check out the little hotties...

Job 31:1 NIV; “I made a covenant with my eyes not to look lustfully at a young woman.

Back