Saved through the cross

dingoling.

We are saved through the cross and not from the cross.

Some Christians believe that Jesus suffered and died for us so we don't have to suffer and die. But that is not what scripture says.

I Peter 2:21, "For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you should follow in his steps."

Heaven is obtained through the cross and not from the cross.

We are saved by his life:
Rom 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Some Christians believe that Jesus suffered and died for us so we don't have to suffer and die. But that is not what scripture says.
Which Christians?

I Peter 2:21, "For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you should follow in his steps."

Here's the context: submission to authority.
1Pet 2:13 Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme;
1Pet 2:14 Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well.
1Pet 2:15 For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men:
1Pet 2:16 As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God.
1Pet 2:17 Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.
1Pet 2:18 Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward.
1Pet 2:19 For this is thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully.
1Pet 2:20 For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.
1Pet 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
1Pet 2:22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:[/quote][/QUOTE]

We are saved by his life:
Rom 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Which Christians?

Here's the context: submission to authority.
1Pet 2:13 Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme;
1Pet 2:14 Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well.
1Pet 2:15 For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men:
1Pet 2:16 As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God.
1Pet 2:17 Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.
1Pet 2:18 Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward.
1Pet 2:19 For this is thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully.
1Pet 2:20 For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.
1Pet 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
1Pet 2:22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
We are called to follow Jesus. He set for us the example that we should follow. The path that Jesus followed led to suffering and ultimate crucifixion.

I'm uncertain of what your point is. "Some Chsitians believe" is such a subjective claim. Your "Some Christians believe" is not my "Some Christians believe" simply for the fact you look at all Christians outside the Rcc as anathema, as nCC's and bound for hell because we reject the Rcc, its self-appointed claim to ecclessiastical authority, its pope, its theologies, dogma's and traditions. But that said, I don't know a single born-again Christian that doesn't know we will suffer for His sake. Why? Because the Bible tells us so. Not some man in a reverse collar, or funny hat and gown, or a man who wears a pastors name tag, but because God has said so in His God-breathed Word.

John 16:33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
2 Timothy 3:12 "In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted,"
Revelations 21:4 " 'He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
1 Peter 5:10 "And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast."
Romans 8:18 "I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us."
2 Corinthians 4:17 "For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all"
Phillipians 3:10 "I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,"
James 1:12 "Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him"

[/QUOTE]
We are called to follow Jesus. He set for us the example that we should follow. The path that Jesus followed led to suffering and ultimate crucifixion.
[/QUOTE]
And that justifies you taking scripture out of context?

We are saved by grace through faith in Christ Jesus our Lord, by what He accomplished for us on the cross--paying for our sins completely and finally--no more payments necessary! So I think you are correct when you write that we are saved through the cross.

Now, if by "and not from the cross" you mean that Jesus didn't save us from suffering in this life, you would be correct. Of course we will suffer in this life and eventually die. But He DID save us from suffering in hell for all eternity, the second death.

So, not really sure why you started this thread.

Have you scheduled a crucifixion already?

Have you scheduled a crucifixion already?
It is not my schedule. We have been purchased and are God's. We are "created in Christ Jesus for good works which God prepared beforehand to be our way of life."

I can only hope that God would consider me worthy of being crucified.

It is not the cross that saves for a start. Plenty of people were crucified that is not what saves at all. Back to you warped view of suffering. Haven't you flogged this topic to death yet. Everyone in the world suffers. Please go to a country where you will really suffer and then tell us about it.

This is just another attempt to justify works based salvation.

It is not my schedule. We have been purchased and are God's. We are "created in Christ Jesus for good works which God prepared beforehand to be our way of life."

I can only hope that God would consider me worthy of being crucified.
Maybe you need to flagellate your self, I mean you are not showing the stigmata are you? Seriously, self harm is wrong and stigmata proves nothing at all, other than the devil deceives.

It is not the cross that saves for a start. Plenty of people were crucified that is not what saves at all. Back to you warped view of suffering. Haven't you flogged this topic to death yet. Everyone in the world suffers. Please go to a country where you will really suffer and then tell us about it.

This is just another attempt to justify works based salvation.
It is not the cross that saves? What does save?

Back