Roman Catholic Thoughts On Spiritual Delusion . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
And did you sell all you have and give it to the poor as Jesus said was lacking in the rich young man?
that wasn't the point of that passage:
the the rich young man claimed he had kept all the commandments since his youth
He had not

We all agree perfect, sinless people go to heaven

that wasn't the point of that passage:
the the rich young man claimed he had kept all the commandments since his youth
He had not

We all agree perfect, sinless people go to heaven
That wasn't the point. The man did not lie to Jesus. He did not claim to be perfect. How did you get that so wrong?

You are using the word "final" to mean the last person you ask or consult:
When Sola Scriptura advocates use the word "final" they mean highest; as in there are no more steps to go up: you have reached the top:

No Sola Scriptura advocate believes their interpretation is the highest authority:
So quit you little your equivocating strawman word games and just embrace the fact that God-breathed writings are as authoritative as God speaking from His Throne....and your Church is not

Better far that I should read with certainty and persuasion of its truth the Holy Scripture, placed on the highest (even the heavenly) pinnacle of authority, and should, without questioning the trustworthiness of its statements, learn from it that men have been either, commended, or corrected, or condemned, than that, through fear of believing that by men, who, though of most praiseworthy excellence, were no more than men, actions deserving rebuke might sometimes be done, I should admit suspicions affecting the trustworthiness of the whole “oracles of God.”
-Augustine, Letters of St. Augustine, Letter 82.2.5

This Mediator [Jesus Christ], having spoken what He judged sufficient first by the prophets, then by His own lips, and afterwards by the apostles, has besides produced the Scripture which is called canonical, which has paramount authority, and to which we yield assent in all matters of which we ought not to be ignorant, and yet cannot know of ourselves.
-St. Augustine, quoted from his City of God, book XI, Chapter 3,

But you seem to be ignoring the fact that Christians divide over doctrinal issues by appealing to their personal interpretation of scripture - by doing so they are establishing their interpretation as the "highest" authority and not God's word. If there are disagreements among us over doctrinal issues then no one's interpretation settles the issue; what we are left with is God's word - scripture.

E.g. I don't agree with your doctrinal statement that a person is justified by faith alone and not by works, so if you want me to accept that doctrine then I need to see it stated in scripture. Anything other than the exact words of scripture is an interpretation.

But you seem to be ignoring the fact that Christians divide over doctrinal issues by appealing to their personal interpretation of scripture -
Not a Sola Scriptura issue
by doing so they are establishing their interpretation as the "highest" authority and not God's word.

When Sola Scriptura advocates use the word "final" they mean highest; as in there are no more steps to go up: you have reached the top:
If there are disagreements among us over doctrinal issues then no one's interpretation settles the issue; what we are left with is God's word - scripture.
E.g. I don't agree with your doctrinal statement that a person is justified by faith alone and not by works, so if you want me to accept that doctrine then I need to see it stated in scripture. Anything other than the exact words of scripture is an interpretation.

Just embrace it : Scripture is more authoritative than any Church

That wasn't the point. The man did not lie to Jesus. He did not claim to be perfect. How did you get that so wrong?
Lie implies intention:
the Rich Young Ruler was mistaken

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’
This is the first and greatest commandment.
And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’
All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.

is that what the the Rich Young Ruler did?

Last edited:

Just embrace it : Scripture is more authoritative than any Church
Divisions over doctrinal issues exists between Christians - that is an issue.

That is the issue I am addressing. How do we know whose doctrines are correct?

Lie implies intention:
the Rich Young Ruler was mistaken
He did not love God
He did not love his neighbor more than himself
He covets
"If you love me keep my commandments."
The man said he did that. So what was Jesus' reaction? He LOVED him. He didn't call him out for lying.

Your interpretation of Scripture is wrong.

Afraid to post the response? What did Jesus say saved her? Pretty easy to quote if you read it and understand the words.
I already answered the post. Jesus said her faith saved her, he didn't say her faith alone saved her.

Pretty easy if we read it and understand the passage.

wow: Writings breathed out by God are called Scripture
IOW if a writing is God-breathed, then it is Scripture

and God's written words are as authoritative as God 's spoken words,
Show us where God said that the 73 "books" and only these 73 books are his inspired words.

Show us where God said that the 73 "books" and only these 73 books are his inspired words.
He doesn't
nor did He tell us what He said yesterday
and yet God's words (whether spoken or written) are more authoritative than anything spoken or written from any Church

Why can't you embrace that as true ?

Last edited:
Jesus did not say that.

sure He did
as soon as the the young man said he has kept all the Commandants
Jesus shows him that he loves his riches more than God or his neighbors

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’
This is the first and greatest commandment.
And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’
All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
Do you keep the commandments?
nope:
I have not kept the commandments in deed AND thought
I need a Savior.
I thank God Jesus kept the commandments for me

So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me.
For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me.
What a wretched man I am!
Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death?
Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back