Is all this true?

Joseph Smith had nothing to do with my posted scientific, archeological evidence:

ttps://www.arisefromthedust.com/new-light-on-mesoamerica-from-lidar/

Richard Hansen’s and Fernando Paiz’ Fundación Patrimonio Cultural y Natural Maya (PACUNAM)
just went public with the results of the largest LiDAR survey ever
attempted for archaeological research. It mapped 10 tracts totaling
2,100 square kilometers in the Mirador Basin and other areas of northern
Guatemala. The surveyed area is less than half the size of Utah County.

And what did archaeologists find buried in the Peten?
  • 60,000 previously unknown structures
  • vast networks of highways elevated so they functioned even in the rainy season
  • ubiquitous fortresses, ramparts, and defensive walls
  • waterworks including dikes, dams, canals, and reservoirs
  • agricultural terraces with irrigation systems
  • animal pens
  • stone quarries
It will take decades to study so many new sites, but settlement patterns and big picture insights are already apparent.
  • Maya lowland population at apogee could have reached 15 million Mormon 1:7
  • Maya civilization was much more complex than previously thought Jarom 1:8, Helaman 3:13-15
  • Maya cities were more interconnected than anyone realized 3 Nephi 6:8
  • Food production was on an industrial scale Helaman 6:12
  • land use was intensive – nearing 100% utilization is some areas Mormon 1:7
  • Many people lived on marginal, swampy lands 4 Nephi 1:9
  • Endemic warfare over centuries was the norm Mormon 8:8
  • Warfare was particularly prevalent in the early classic AD 250-500 Moroni 1:2"
You are in denial.
Tis so!! isn't a very compelling argument db. I have made my stand. You have made yours. I will live with mine as you will live with yours. Mine is based on archeological proof, yours is based on "well Joe Smith said..." which is everything you quoted from the BoM.

And this is an example of "merit based salvation"?

Acts 2:38---King James Version
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
You don't even believe the Bible, why do you keep quoting from it...

Another false claim. You are aware the Biblical text is canonized scripture in the LDS church? Our area of study this year in Sunday School is the Old Testament--for an entire year.

The LDS official translation is the KJV.

The taint so!!! continues.

They would be more honest if they quoted and used Smith's Translation (JST). People could really get the "fullness" of the gospel-- a term (gospel) dberrie defines in very odd terms lending itself more to universalism-- and get those "plain and precious" things allegedly removed from the KJV and other translations back into the people's consciousness.

LDS Article of Faith (canonized):
8 We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

“I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.” (History of the Church, 4:461.)

Another false claim. You are aware the Biblical text is canonized scripture in the LDS church? Our area of study this year in Sunday School is the Old Testament--for an entire year.

The LDS official translation is the KJV.

The taint so!!! continues.
As pointed out, as long as it is translated correctly. Your lack transparency is obvious.

They would be more honest if they quoted and used Smith's Translation (JST). People could really get the "fullness" of the gospel-- a term (gospel) dberrie defines in very odd terms lending itself more to universalism-- and get those "plain and precious" things allegedly removed from the KJV and other translations back into the people's consciousness.

The LDS don't understand why people don't believe what the Biblical text does bear witness to:

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

So--could you provide us an example of what is contained in the Biblical NT text--which the LDS don't believe--as far as salvational doctrines go?

As pointed out, as long as it is translated correctly. Your lack transparency is obvious.

Perhaps you could reveal to us what there is which is found in the Biblical NT--which isn't found in the LDS church--as far as salvational doctrines go? Specifically--what do you believe the LDS reject, as a translation--which is found in the Biblical NT text--as salvational doctrines?

Matthew 19:16-19---King James Version
16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

LDS Article of Faith (canonized):
8 We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

What are you claiming the LDS believe isn't translated correctly in the Biblical NT--as far as salvational doctrines go?

Luke 6:46---King James Version
46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

The LDS don't understand why people don't believe what the Biblical text does bear witness to:

So--could you provide us an example of what is contained in the Biblical NT text--which the LDS don't believe--as far as salvational doctrines go?
You claim you believe what the Bible states and yet you believe extra-biblical texts to change what God's inspired by the Holy Spirit written Word teaches. And the Mormon salvation doctrines are not based on the Bible but what Smith wrote in the BoM, and other books (PoGP, D&C) and claims of continual revelation and heavenly visitation...so there is all that. Mormons hide these truths from those they are proselytizing which you are not able to do here.

"As the Bible was compiled, organized, translated, and transcribed, many errors entered the text. The existence of such errors becomes apparent when one considers the numerous and often conflicting translations of the Bible in existence today. Careful students of the Bible are often puzzled by apparent contradictions and omissions. Many people have also been curious about references by biblical prophets to books or scriptural passages that are not currently in the Bible.

In addition to the Bible, Latter-day Saints reverence and study the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, the Pearl of Great Price, and the words of modern prophets and apostles. All these sources of eternal truth work together to establish, clarify, and testify of the plan of our Heavenly Father and to bring people unto Jesus Christ.

Latter-day Saints believe in an open scriptural canon, which means that there are other books of scripture besides the Bible (such as the Book of Mormon) and that God continues to reveal His word through living prophets."

What you offered is hardly evidence. It is like you're spit balling. Seeing what's going to stick. To even intimate that maps of the Middle East were not available, or even that Smith didn't have access to such readily available resources in Bibles and try to, again, poison the well, I guess that's what you do.
You ask for evidence! well show the evidence JS had the maps and by the way the maps never depict the geography in detail of that well kept secret until JS described it in detail... nice try, suggest you're not interested in any kind of discussion on facts or evidence... suffice to say your hogwash shows some major defects in you ability to have a open mind...and a waste of my time...

You read that into my reply? Really, can you ever do a reply without injecting some sort of veiled ad hom or fallacy Richard? I'm pretty sure we could have some very poignant discussions were we to do so respectful of each other.
Yea right.... spit balling and hogwash, poison the well...well done and ever so respectful... chuckle.

You have yet to answer the OP. I have provided BoM quotes that indicate you follow a merit based salvation plan that is contradictory to what the Bible teaches. If you cannot see how that is germaine, that's on you.
I wouldn't say we look for praise or reward (merit) but yes we do seek to be good and worthy of our Heavenly Fathers Plan of Salvation...

You claim you believe what the Bible states and yet you believe extra-biblical texts to change what God's inspired by the Holy Spirit written Word teaches. And the Mormon salvation doctrines are not based on the Bible but what Smith wrote in the BoM, and other books (PoGP, D&C) and claims of continual revelation and heavenly visitation...so there is all that. Mormons hide these truths from those they are proselytizing which you are not able to do here.

"As the Bible was compiled, organized, translated, and transcribed, many errors entered the text. The existence of such errors becomes apparent when one considers the numerous and often conflicting translations of the Bible in existence today. Careful students of the Bible are often puzzled by apparent contradictions and omissions. Many people have also been curious about references by biblical prophets to books or scriptural passages that are not currently in the Bible.

In addition to the Bible, Latter-day Saints reverence and study the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, the Pearl of Great Price, and the words of modern prophets and apostles. All these sources of eternal truth work together to establish, clarify, and testify of the plan of our Heavenly Father and to bring people unto Jesus Christ.

Latter-day Saints believe in an open scriptural canon, which means that there are other books of scripture besides the Bible (such as the Book of Mormon) and that God continues to reveal His word through living prophets."
Pastor Jones Marquee "Don't read the Book of Mormon, that's how they get you!"

I wouldn't say we look for praise or reward (merit) but yes we do seek to be good and worthy of our Heavenly Fathers Plan of Salvation...
And yet biblical scripture says no one is worthy/righteous. It is by faith alone in what Jesus did that saves us and brings us into the kingdom of God and His eternal Presence. Trying to be worthy and good means nothing because nothing man can do makes him worthy or righteous.

And yet biblical scripture says no one is worthy/righteous. It is by faith alone in what Jesus did that saves us and brings us into the kingdom of God and His eternal Presence. Trying to be worthy and good means nothing because nothing man can do makes him worthy or righteous.
Seek to be good... nice try...

Seek: try to find.

You ask for evidence! well show the evidence JS had the maps and by the way the maps never depict the geography in detail of that well kept secret until JS described it in detail... nice try, suggest you're not interested in any kind of discussion on facts or evidence... suffice to say your hogwash shows some major defects in you ability to have a open mind...and a waste of my time...
Then don't reply.

Gotcha...You have to live with a closed mind to great evidence and then makes up a tall tell about JS had the maps which you will never be able to produce....
When you are able to present any evidence, let alone what you claim is "great evidence" which I presume you believe the BoM is, then perhaps you will be able to sustain your religious belief among others. Until then it's still just more of the "well Joe Smith said..." arguments.

Back