Birth of Christ: Dec 25th? March 31st? Or other?

[[
altho there is some ; well a lot disagreement
amongst the "quote - quote" trusted theologians:

Daniel 11:20​
Then shall stand up in his estate a raiser of taxes​
I'll go with 4BC
Lk.2:1​
And it came to pass in those days,​
that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus​
that all the world should be taxed.​
2 (And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was governor of Syria.)​
Numbers 4:3​
From thirty years old and upward even until fifty years old,​
all that enter into the host,​
to do the work in the tabernacle of the congregation.​

I'll go with Moses and Luke
Lk.3:23​
And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him,​
and a voice came from heaven,​
which said,​
Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.​
23 And Jesus himself began to be about​
thirty years of age
Genesis 6:3
3And the Lord said,
My spirit shall not always strive with man,

Genesis 8:12
And he (Noah) stayed yet other seven days;
and sent forth the dove;
which returned not again unto him any more.

---The Dove Returns----

And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove

that would be 26 AD

Numbers; Posters; Numbers

Yes, it actually did. Sheep are kept outdoors all year 'round in that part of the world. Sheep are hardy creatures. And they needed protection. We have a book entitled IN THE FULLNESS OF TIME by Dr. Paul Maier, where he writes about the events surrounding Jesus' birth and he made note of that, from someone who actually lives in Israel, that even today, sheep are out at that time of year. He documents that there was a terrible snowstorm in that area around 1911, if I remember right, where thousands of sheep froze or starved to death, because there was so much snow, the sheep had a hard time pawing through it, to get to the grass underneath. So, they were not in pens or barns.

But as I have stated, the actual date is immaterial, since we are not celebrating December 25, but the birth of the Sun of Righteousness, Jesus Christ. :)

An unbiblical celebration. a tradition of men-- Mark 7:13) by the traditions of men you make the word of God invalid.--Jesus clearly asked for the events of the Lords supper to be remembered. On the night of the passover( full moon)

The saturnalia festival( worship to the sun God) was turned into christmas, a pagan false religion holiday where feasting and the exchanging of gifts occurred. False religion holidays come straight off the table of demons( 1Cor 10:21)--they took that and try to hand it to Jesus. Santa unscrambled spells satan--He steals 98% of the christmas holiday away from Jesus-the day after thanksgiving until dec 25th morning all goes to santa. Jesus isnt even put first dec 25th morning. As well parents lie to their own children about santa and associate that with Jesus celebration.

Last edited:
well, maybe- maybe not

When Rome wanted to grow to be the dominant power
she was willing, as Newman says
to adopt the customs of the common class
""Mandrakes" and all the trapping
Sugar coated it, repackaged, and sold it to the world

Song of Solomon
Song of Solomon 7:13
The mandrakes give a smell,
and (but) at our gates are all manner of pleasant fruits,
new and old, which I have laid up for thee,
O my beloved.

An unbiblical celebration. a tradition of men-- Mark 7:13) by the traditions of men you make the word of God invalid.--Jesus clearly asked for the events of the Lords supper to be remembered. On the night of the passover( full moon)

The saturnalia festival( worship to the sun God) was turned into christmas, a pagan false religion holiday where feasting and the exchanging of gifts occurred. False religion holidays come straight off the table of demons( 1Cor 10:21)--they took that and try to hand it to Jesus. Santa unscrambled spells satan--He steals 98% of the christmas holiday away from Jesus-the day after thanksgiving until dec 25th morning all goes to santa. Jesus isnt even put first dec 25th morning. As well parents lie to their own children about santa and associate that with Jesus celebration.
Did you not read my link about "Calculating Christmas"?

I agree that Santa gets too much attention, but I do not celebrate Santa, but the birth of the Sun of Righteousness on Christmas. The date is immaterial, since the date of Dec. 25 is not what we celebrate at this time of year, but the indescribable event of the birth of the Son of God, born of a virgin, in a stable in Bethlehem, all those many centuries ago. You should see our candlelight Christnas Eve services--so many Christmas hymns sung! And we sing "Silent Night" by candlelight. There is NOTHING pagan whatsoever about our Christmas services! It is focused entirely on Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
well, maybe- maybe not

Song of Solomon
O my beloved.

Yes the religion that came out of Rome was foretold-2 Thess 2:3= the son of destruction( peredition)= the great apostasy= her and her 40,000 branches. A house divided will not stand.

Did you not read my link about "Calculating Christmas"?

I agree that Santa gets too much attention, but I do not celebrate Santa, but the birth of the Sun of Righteousness on Christmas. The date is immaterial, since the date of Dec. 25 is not what we celebrate at this time of year, but the indescribable event of the birth if the Son of God, born of a virgin, in a stable in Bethlehem all those many centuries ago. You should see our candlelight Christnas Eve services--so many Christmas hymns sung! And we sing "Silent Night" by candlelight. There is NOTHING pagan whatsoever about our Christmas services!
Bonnie I realise from your other posts that the person you quoted thinks that the sheep are out in all weather. But I do not know anywhere were the sheep are out in the snow. But that still does not give us the real date for the birth of Jesus. It is just speculation. Israel does get snow in mountain regions.

Bethlehem registers most of its snowfall in December, January, and February. Despite being a winter month, March is an exception as it receives insignificant amounts of snow. from does it snow in Bethlehem.

We know the mangers were the animals stayed when it was cold and they were empty at the time of Jesus birth in Bethlemhem. Luke indicates it is in the spring because that is when the shepherds would be with the flocks due to lambing season. Which in Bethlehem would be mar, apr and may though some say in Israel it is in winter which would be unusual to say the least. This means there will be grass for the sheep and lambs to graze on.

But there is no evidence to support Dec 25th as the date Jesus is born. Why does it matter, He was born. I know from videos by Van Der Laan that early objects had pagan symbols scratched out and Christian symbols scratched over them. They were used for a new purpose. I do not have problems with what using a date set aside for pagans to be scatched out and reused, especially if it kept people in those days from being drawn back into pagan festivals.

Even ECFs don't agree on the dates:

Clement of Alexandria (150 AD – 215 AD), an Egyptian Christian teacher, had cited May 20th and April 20th or 21st as possible dates of Christ’s birth fitting the spring theory.

By 400 AD, December 25th along with January 6th were considered the dates for Christ’s birth with December 25th the leading contender and eventual winner. The December date was listed as Jesus’ birth on an ancient Roman almanac from the 4th century that listed the death dates of early Christian martyrs. from open the word

So I think it is a mystery and it is as good as any other date to remember the things God has done.

and balsham says
due to lambing season.
We know the mangers were the animals stayed when it was cold and they were empty at the time of Jesus birth in Bethlemhem. Luke indicates it is in the spring because that is when the shepherds would be with the flocks due to lambing season. Which in Bethlehem would be mar, apr and may though some say in Israel it is in winter which would be unusual to say the least. This means there will be grass for the sheep and lambs to graze on.

the book of Numbers
he was a Spring Lamb of the 1st year
Numbers; Posters; Moses

March 31 / April 1st +our year 4BC

Bonnie I realise from your other posts that the person you quoted thinks that the sheep are out in all weather. But I do not know anywhere were the sheep are out in the snow. But that still does not give us the real date for the birth of Jesus. It is just speculation. Israel does get snow in mountain regions.

I never said we had the real date for Jesus' birth. We don't.
Bethlehem registers most of its snowfall in December, January, and February. Despite being a winter month, March is an exception as it receives insignificant amounts of snow. from does it snow in Bethlehem.

I was just recounting about a terrible snowstorm that occurred in the Middle East in 1911, I think it was. I would need to double-check the book, if we still have it. We had to get rid of a lot of books when we moved and downsized.
We know the mangers were the animals stayed when it was cold and they were empty at the time of Jesus birth in Bethlemhem.

Mangers are NOT where animals stayed when it was cold. A manger is a feeding trough. The stable where Jesus was born would have belonged to the inn, where there was no room for Mary and Joseph. There is some evidence that it was a cave nearby, but that is immaterial.
Luke indicates it is in the spring because that is when the shepherds would be with the flocks due to lambing season.

Luke doesn't really do that. Jesus may very well have been born in the spring, but no one knows for certain and we cannot really dogmatically declare it was spring.
Which in Bethlehem would be mar, apr and may though some say in Israel it is in winter which would be unusual to say the least. This means there will be grass for the sheep and lambs to graze on.

There would be grass in the winter to graze upon, since the rainy season in that part of the world is fall-spring. That is why the barley harvest was in the spring, since it was planted in the fall.
But there is no evidence to support Dec 25th as the date Jesus is born.

Please read that link I put down about "Calculating Christmas" in my first post on here. It gives a reason for choosing Dec. 25. Oh, wait, I sent it to you some time ago. :)
Why does it matter, He was born. I know from videos by Van Der Laan that early objects had pagan symbols scratched out and Christian symbols scratched over them. They were used for a new purpose. I do not have problems with what using a date set aside for pagans to be scatched out and reused, especially if it kept people in those days from being drawn back into pagan festivals.

I found out that the Saturnalia ran from Dec. 17-23. NOT to December 25.
Even ECFs don't agree on the dates:

Clement of Alexandria (150 AD – 215 AD), an Egyptian Christian teacher, had cited May 20th and April 20th or 21st as possible dates of Christ’s birth fitting the spring theory.

By 400 AD, December 25th along with January 6th were considered the dates for Christ’s birth with December 25th the leading contender and eventual winner. The December date was listed as Jesus’ birth on an ancient Roman almanac from the 4th century that listed the death dates of early Christian martyrs. from open the word

So I think it is a mystery and it is as good as any other date to remember the things God has done.
Well, I would agree with you here. But again, we do not celebrate Dec. 25, but Jesus' birth on this date. That is certainly something to celebrate, is it not?

Last edited:
I never said we had the real date for Jesus' birth.

I was just recounting about a terrible snowstorm that occurred in the Middle East in 1911, I think it was. I would need to double-check the book, if we still have it. We had to get rid of a lot of books when we moved and downsized.

Mangers are NOT where animals stayed when it was cold. A manger is a feeding trough. The stable where Jesus was born would have belonged to the inn, where there was no room for Mary and Joseph. There is some evidence that it was a cave nearby, but that is immaterial.

Luke does nothing of the kind. Jesus may very well have been born in the spring, but no one knows for certain and to dogmatically declare it so, is to do so without real evidence to support that idea.

There would be grass in the winter to graze upon, since the rainy season in that part of the world is fall-spring. That is why the barley harvest was in the spring, since it was planted in the fall.

I never said there was. Please read that link I put down about "Calculating Christmas" in my first post on here. It gives a reason for choosing Dec. 25.

The Saturnalia ran from Dec. 17-23. NOT to December 25.

Well, I would agree with you here. But again, we do not celebrate Dec. 25, but Jesus' birth on this date. That is certainly something to celebrate, is it not?
This is not the area for me to continue this discussion. We agree on the fact that things God has done for us should be celebrated.

This is not the area for me to continue this discussion. We agree on the fact that things God has done for us should be celebrated.
I apologize; I was rather sharp in my last post; I thought I was replying to someone else. My bad. :( You have already read the "Calculating Christmas" article that I sent you a link to some months ago. But I certainly agree with you that Jesus' birth is something to celebrate! :)

The Saturnalia lasted from Dec. 17-23. NOT to December 25.

"Santa Claus" comes from the Dutch "Sinterklaas" from what I remember, which gradually morphed into "Santa Claus." "Santa/Sinter" means "saint."

The idea that Santa Claus is somehow demonic because one can rearrange the letters to "Satan" won't hold water. One could rearrange the letters of "God" to spell "dog"--would that prove anything about God??

I would suggest that you kindly reread Romans 14. I celebrate Christ's birth on December 25--not some pagan festival. To the Lord I observe His birth and to the Lord, you do not. Neither of us is wrong, but do note what Paul writes here:

"5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6 ...Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 10 You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister[a]? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat."

Last edited:
Buzzard said:
well, maybe- maybe not

Song of Solomon
O my beloved.
Yes the religion that came out of Rome was foretold-2 Thess 2:3= the son of destruction( peredition)= the great apostasy= her and her 40,000 branches. A house divided will not stand.

Col.2:8
Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit,
after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world,
and not after Christ.

The Saturnalia lasted from Dec. 17-23. NOT to December 25.

"Santa Claus" comes from the Dutch "Sinterklaas" from what I remember, which gradually morphed into "Santa Claus." "Santa/Sinter" means "saint."

The idea that Santa Claus is somehow demonic because one can rearrange the letters to "Satan" won't hold water. One could rearrange the letters of "God" to spell "dog"--would that prove anything about God??

I would suggest that you kindly reread Romans 14. I celebrate Christ's birth on December 25--not some pagan festival. To the Lord I observe His birth and to the Lord, you do not. Neither of us is wrong, but do note what Paul writes here:

"5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6 ...Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 10 You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister[a]? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat."

Gods view of the matter is all that counts. A day is as 1000 years to God-so less than 2 days ago a pagan celebration off the table of demons was turned into something men try to hand to Jesus. God does not forget what it was and really is, ever. Easter is the same.
I am not judging. Gods word has already judged-1Cor 10:21--One CANNOT partake off of Gods table and off the table of demons. This is how satan misleads one into partaking off of that table-2Cor 11:12-15

I watched a Sermon by a Messianic Jew. He said we know what Levitical Family Zacharias, the Father of John the Baptist is from. This let's us know when Zacharias served in the Temple and saw the Angel Gabriel. John is six months older than Jesus, so Jesus was born 15 months after Zacharias went mute. The Messianic Jew calculated the timing to be at the Feast of Tabernacles in the Fall...

After all, Jesus Tabernacled with us, through his Incarnation...

The fulfillment of the Seven Feasts is evidence for the Bible...
That is certainly a possibility. But no feast is mentioned at the time of Jesus' birth as there was at His crucifixion.

Last edited:
Gods view of the matter is all that counts. A day is as 1000 years to God-so less than 2 days ago a pagan celebration off the table of demons was turned into something men try to hand to Jesus.

But time does mean something to us mortals. And I do not celebrate some Roman Saturnalia at this time of year, but only the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
God does not forget what it was and really is, ever. Easter is the same.

God knows what is in our hearts and our motivation. You do not.
And Easter is NOT the same. The Crucifixion of our Lord and His glorious resurrection did happen in the spring, right around the Passover.

I am not judging.

Sure you are.
Gods word has already judged-1Cor 10:21--One CANNOT partake off of Gods table and off the table of demons.

We do not partake off the table of demons. That is nonsense.
This is how satan misleads one into partaking off of that table-2Cor 11:12-15
Nonsense. God knows what our true motivations are--you don't.

I suggest you read Romans 14 and inwardly digest it.

Tell you what--I will bring home the bulletin from tonight's Christmas Eve service, and put down on here, when I get the chance, all that we did this night--the hymns we sang, Bible readings, the theme of our pastor's sermon--and you can show me where all the demonic parts are. :)

But time does mean something to us mortals. And I do not celebrate some Roman Saturnalia at this time of year, but only the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

God knows what is in our hearts and our motivation. You do not.
And Easter is NOT the same. The Crucifixion of our Lord and His glorious resurrection did happen in the spring, right around the Passover.

Sure you are.

We do not partake off the table of demons. That is nonsense.

Nonsense. God knows what our true motivations are--you don't.

I suggest you read Romans 14 and inwardly digest it.

Tell you what--I will bring home the bulletin from tonight's Christmas Eve service, and put down on here, when I get the chance, all that we did this night--the hymns we sang, Bible readings, the theme of our pastor's sermon--and you can show me where all the demonic parts are. :)
The false God of the pagan spring celebration was named-Astarte--Ishtar( pronounced easter) they named the holiday after the false god.
The ones who did it=The religion that came out of Rome( Catholicism) says in their own encyclopedia-- The Catholic encyclopedia-1913-Vol V-Page 227-- A great many pagan customs, celebrating the return of spring, gravitated to Easter. the egg is the emblem of the germinating life of early spring. The Rabbit is a pagan symbol of fertility.)
The hot cross buns of good Friday, and the dyed eggs of Pasch figured in the Chaldean pagan rites of spring festival.

The false God of the pagan spring celebration was named-Astarte--Ishtar( pronounced easter) they named the holiday after the false god.

Actually, this is false. "Easter" comes from a protoGerman word that means "to dawn" or "to rise." The modern German word for it is "Oster" with "Ost" meaning "East."

I found this years ago, detailing stuff about Easter and the myths perpetrated by some, like the venerable Bede.

A professor, Dr Elizabeth Freeman [BA (Hons), MA, PhD (University of Melbourne); Grad. Dip. Ed. (Sec), Grad. Cert.(Rel. Ed.) (Australian Catholic University)], teaches the history of Europe in the early Middle Ages (300-1000AD) and High Middle Ages (1000-1300AD). She also studies medieval Christianity, ancient nuns and monks.

She has written publicly that there was no such creature as a goddess name Eostre. From an article published in 2005 she concludes that the entire myth of Easter was made up – again, based on actual research:

Quote:
It’s official — the Easter bunny story is not true.

The fable about the magical rabbit who brings eggs on Easter Sunday is a fabrication.

Academics have scoured medieval history and found the story is based on a lie.

They blame a meddling medieval monk for mucking up pagan history.

The mischievous monk literally made up a Saxon goddess who many today erroneously believe is the basis of the Easter bunny story.

University of Tasmania academic Elizabeth Freeman said German academics had searched extensively for clues to Easter tradition.

“They found it’s all wrong,” Dr Freeman, an expert on medieval history, said.

The commonly believed story about the Easter bunny, as the magical companion of the Saxon goddess Ostara, is repeated in books, poems and extensively on websites.

That fallacious story says the Easter bunny’s roots are buried in the mythology of Germanic Saxon tribes.

The Saxons, in the first centuries after the death of Jesus, are said to have celebrated the arrival of the pagan goddess Ostara.

The Sun King, according to the story, would journey across the sky in his chariot bringing an end to winter.

Ostara, a beautiful spring maiden, then came to earth with a basket of coloured eggs.

The goddess, helped by a magical rabbit, brought new life to dying plants and flowers by hiding eggs under them.

When the Saxons moved into Britain in the fifth century, they took their pagan ways with them.

Ostara then evolved into the Anglo-Saxon Oestre, goddess of dawn and spring.

When Anglo-Saxons converted to Christianity and started to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus, they combined the religious traditions.

The pagan Oestre celebration became today’s Easter.

So when modern-day parents hid coloured eggs under plants in the garden for their children, it was widely thought they had been unwittingly re-enacting the ancient pagan myth of Ostara and her rabbit. But this is all wrong, according to modern academic thought.

Dr Freeman said research shows the Ostara and Oestre story is fundamentally flawed.

The goddess did not exist.

The earliest reference to goddess Ostara or Oestre is by a celebrated medieval intellectual — the monk known as the “venerable Bede”.

Working in north-east England in 730AD, Bede wrote a book about calculating time. Bede identified a pagan spring celebration called Eosturmonath. He said this celebration got its name from a pagan goddess called Oestre for whom they had a feast.

But when modern-day researchers scoured the history books they could find no prior reference to the goddess.

Researchers found many references to the spring celebration Eosturmonath but absolutely no mention of the goddess Bede reckoned the feast was named after. They suspect Bede fabricated the pagan goddess to suit his purposes.

“He has definitely made up that goddess,” Dr Freeman said. “Bede is the first one to mention it. German academics have found no evidence of the spring goddess Oestre anywhere else before Bede.”

Dr Freeman said Bede, who had been a monk since he was seven years old, was revered in an era where very few people were educated.

“Bede was extremely influential and his view has survived until the last 50 years when scholarship developed to the level it could show he was wrong,” she said.

Dr Freeman said Bede and his contemporaries constantly sought to find moral meaning for words and often made up definitions to suit their moral outlook.

So if the Saxon goddess Oestre did not exist, what about her magical bunny? Where did he come from?

“I really have no idea,” Dr Freeman said.

The Easter bunny, it seems, is as mysterious to historians as he is elusive to children.

Catching a glimpse of the rabbit who leaves chocolate eggs is easier than pinning down the origins of the mythical creature.

Dr Freeman suggested the tradition was a jumbled version of many ancient beliefs.

She said pagan Britons, who lived in the isles before the Saxons arrived and are commonly portrayed as the traditional dark-haired Celts, revered sacred hares.

She considers these sacred hares may be the kernel of the Easter bunny story.

Baltic pagans and other cultures used eggs in rituals of rebirth and renewel.

Eggs decorated with colours or gilt have been a symbol of life since the ancient Greeks.

The egg appears in many pagan and early history stories, including the birth of the Sun-Bird, hatched from the World Egg. In some pagan stories heaven and earth were thought to have been formed from two halves of an egg.

Easter eggs evolved through the 18th and 19th centuries with hollow cardboard Easter eggs filled with Easter gifts and sumptuously decorated.

Decadent Faberge Eggs, made for the Czar’s of Russia by Carl Faberge, were encrusted with jewels.

The first chocolate Easter eggs appeared in Germany and France in the early 1800s.

Dr Freeman said she suspected the combination of the imagery to create our modern Easter occurred some time in the 19th century.

religionnewsblog.com/10716/fur-flies-over-bunny-theory
The ones who did it=The religion that came out of Rome( Catholicism) says in their own encyclopedia-- The Catholic encyclopedia-1913-Vol V-Page 227-- A great many pagan customs, celebrating the return of spring, gravitated to Easter. the egg is the emblem of the germinating life of early spring. The Rabbit is a pagan symbol of fertility.)
The hot cross buns of good Friday, and the dyed eggs of Pasch figured in the Chaldean pagan rites of spring festival.
See above. But again, Jesus' resurrection did occur in the spring, around the time of the Passover feast and the Feast of Unleavened Bread that followed immediately after. THAT is what we celebrate in my church, Jesus' glorious resurrection. NOT bunnies or chickies or duckies, or the date on the calendar--but the glorious event of Christ's resurrection from the dead!

Last edited:
Here, keiw, is what was in the bulletin at our Christmas Eve services at church:

Opening hymn--LSB # 377--On Christmas Night (Sussex Carol)
Versicles spoken from Ps. 98:1-4, 6b, 9b--then the "Glory Be."
Prayer for Christmas Eve
First reading: Gen. 3:8-15
Second Hymn--LSB #387--Joy to the World
Second Reading--Is. 9:2-7
Hymn--LSB #366--It Came Upon the Midnight Clear
third reading--Jer. 23:5-6
Hymn--LSB # 383--A Great and Mighty Wonder

Then the choir sang "Angels O'er the Field Were Singing".

Fourth Reading--Micah 5:2-5a
Hymn--LSB #361= Oh Little Town of Bethlehem
Fifth reading--1 John 4:7-16
Hymn--LSB #380--Hark! The Herald Angels Sing

Organ recital of a hymn medley telling the story of Christmas, concluding with "Ring the Bells" by Harry Bollback

Sixth Reading--Luke 2:1-7
Hymn--LSB #358, stanzas 1-5
Seventh Reading--Luke 2:8-12
Hymn--LSB #358, stanzas 6-10

the Holy Gospel is read by the Pastor, from Luke 2:13-20

Hymn--LSB #358, stanzas 11-15

Sermon by Pastor W.--"A Peace Which Brings Renewed Hope." About how Jesus gives us true peace and not as the world does, but as HE does.

Prayer for Christmas Midnight.

Closing Hymn by candlelight--"Silent Night."

(LSB stands for Lutheran Service Book)

Now, can you pick out the paganism in this church service? See any?

Back