Cosmos, World in 1 John

What i don't like is when a lexicon adds the preseumed Christian meaning to a greek word. For me it is much better to just state what the Greeks understood the word to mean, not what christian writers meant by it. I think it is our job as Christians to discover what is meant and we can be helped if lexicons will just talk about how the Greeks undertsood the word
I would have to disagree here. The religious meaning does not always follow the secular

What i don't like is when a lexicon adds the preseumed Christian meaning to a greek word. For me it is much better to just state what the Greeks understood the word to mean, not what christian writers meant by it.

How do you know that's the case?

The lexicons DO state what the Greeks understood it to mean, it sounds like you are just looking for reasons to reject the meanings.

I we can be helped if lexicons will just talk about how the Greeks undertsood the word

They do.

The lexicons DO state what the Greeks understood it to mean, it sounds like you are just looking for reasons to reject the meanings.

They do.
Kosmos

b. of all mankind, but especially of believers, as the object of God’s love J 3:16, 17c; 6:33, 51; 12:47.

William Arndt, F. Wilbur Gingrich, Frederick W. Danker, et al., A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature : A Translation and Adaption of the Fourth Revised and Augmented Edition of Walter Bauer’s Griechisch-Deutsches Worterbuch Zu Den Schrift En Des Neuen Testaments Und Der Ubrigen Urchristlichen Literatur (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1979), 446.

Kind of like what you have done in multiple instances

World, BDAG and John 12:47 come to mind

Yes the lexicons prove them wrong with world . They conflate, equivocate and twist it’s meaning to fit their doctrines. It’s called eisegesis reading one’s ideas into the text . The texts in question all disprove their conclusions in the lexicons .
Not me...

God has an Agapao 'So Love' for the Kosmos...

Yes the lexicons prove them wrong with world . They conflate, equivocate and twist it’s meaning to fit their doctrines. It’s called eisegesis reading one’s ideas into the text . The texts in question all disprove their conclusions in the lexicons . John 1:29, 3:16, 1 John 2:2 and so on and so forth .
I know oner Calvinist in particular who runs from this like the plague

Yes the lexicons prove them wrong with world . They conflate, equivocate and twist it’s meaning to fit their doctrines. It’s called eisegesis reading one’s ideas into the text . The texts in question all disprove their conclusions in the lexicons . John 1:29, 3:16, 1 John 2:2 and so on and so forth .
Correct !

b. of all mankind, but especially of believers, as the object of God’s love J 3:16, 17c; 6:33, 51; 12:47.

William Arndt et al., A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature : A Translation and Adaption of the Fourth Revised and Augmented Edition of Walter Bauer’s Griechisch-Deutsches Worterbuch Zu Den Schrift En Des Neuen Testaments Und Der Ubrigen Urchristlichen Literatur (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1979), 446.

Thayers

Cosmos: the inhabitants of the

5. world
: θέατρον ἐγενήθημεν τῷ κόσμῳ καί ἀγγέλοις καί ἀνθρώποις, 1 Corinthians 4:9 (Winers Grammar, 127 (121)); particularly the inhabitants of the earth, men, the human race (first so in Sap. (e. g. )): Matthew 13:38; Matthew 18:7; Mark 14:9; John 1:10, 29 ( L in brackets); ; Romans 3:6, 19; 1 Corinthians 1:27f (cf. Winer's Grammar, 189 (178)); ; 2 Corinthians 5:19; James 2:5 (cf. Winer's Grammar, as above); 1 John 2:2

Yes thank you the world is all inclusive, not some small privileged group that was not created as firewood .

William Arndt et al., A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature :

The gospel is for all the inhabitants of the world , not a few .

The gospel is for all.
But atonement is only for the "few":

Matt. 22:14 For many are called, but few are chosen.”

No; that is what you do. You are projecting.

No; that is what you do. You are projecting.
You are in denial

of all mankind, but especially of believers, as the object of God’s love J 3:16, 17c; 6:33, 51; 12:47.

William Arndt et al., A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature : A Translation and Adaption of the Fourth Revised and Augmented Edition of Walter Bauer’s Griechisch-Deutsches Worterbuch Zu Den Schrift En Des Neuen Testaments Und Der Ubrigen Urchristlichen Literatur (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1979), 446.

William Arndt et al., A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature :

The gospel is for all.
But atonement is only for the "few":

Matt. 22:14 For many are called, but few are chosen.”
Nope

Atonement is for all

2 Corinthians 5:19 (KJV 1900) — 19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

it must be received to benefit however

Back