Did Jesus teach he was GOD himself?

Speaking the word is different from things being created by the command of the word.
But God's "residence" existed prior to the rest of creation. So what exactly are you trying to say?

If Jesus is saying he came down from heaven, and he was with the Father before creation, where do you think that places him?

But God's "residence" existed prior to the rest of creation. So what exactly are you trying to say?
I am saying that you should not presume to link Christ's comment "I came down from heaven" with the creation.
If Jesus is saying he came down from heaven, and he was with the Father before creation, where do you think that places him?
In the bosom of the Father, said Christ. The gnostics, the pythagoreans, the neo-platonists etc have had a field day trying to explain how the Word emerged from the Father as a separate entity in heaven. But what the Word himself refers to is the Word "being in bosom of the Father" (ὁ ὢν εἰς τὸν κόλπον τοῦ πατρὸς), which, if it is beyond further explanation, doesn't violate the principle of "one God".

Obviously κόλπον (bosom) is a metaphorical term, but the key word is εἰς (in). If the Word was "in" the Father, then the Word wasn't created, at least from our point of view (and we are limited to it).

I am saying that you should not presume to link Christ's comment "I came down from heaven" with the creation.
I'm not.

In the bosom of the Father, said Christ. The gnostics, the pythagoreans, the neo-platonists etc have had a field day trying to explain how the Word emerged from the Father as a separate entity in heaven. But what the Word himself refers to is the Word "being in bosom of the Father" (ὁ ὢν εἰς τὸν κόλπον τοῦ πατρὸς), which, if it is beyond further explanation, doesn't violate the principle of "one God".
Which God Himself, the Father, has always Had His thoughts to Himself. So, there is zero need for another "word" as a person.

Obviously κόλπον (bosom) is a metaphorical term, but the key word is εἰς (in). If the Word was "in" the Father, then the Word wasn't created, at least from our point of view (and we are limited to it).
I never said He was created. But Jesus was.

I'm not.

Which God Himself, the Father, has always Had His thoughts to Himself. So, there is zero need for another "word" as a person.
The concept of "person" breaks down with God, being but an anthropomorphism of convenience and relation. God is never described in terms of being a human "person" even if for the sake of communication and revelation, personal pronouns are used. To describe the Word as a different person from the Father is not possible unless the word "person" is first described in terms of what is in heaven. Yet no man is able to do it.
I never said He was created. But Jesus was.
Jesus came down from heaven. So yes, in one sense his material body had to be created (there is nothing material in heaven), but in aother sense, his identity, or the invisible part of him, wasn't.

The concept of "person" breaks down with God, being but an anthropomorphism of convenience and relation.
I would agree with you here, and add as well where any "physical" attributes like hands, feet, back, head, eyes, ears, etc., are to be understood as anthropomorphisms.

God is never described in terms of being a human "person" even if for the sake of communication and revelation, personal pronouns are used.
I agree that He is not human, though the grammar used in our languages speaks in a way that we can relate to Him as such.

To describe the Word as a different person from the Father is not possible unless the word "person" is first described in terms of what is in heaven. Yet no man is able to do it.
I agree there is no "word" separate from the Father that is a person.

Jesus came down from heaven. So yes, in one sense his material body had to be created (there is nothing material in heaven), but in aother sense, his identity, or the invisible part of him, wasn't.
His material body didn't exist until he was born. So in what way did he come down from heaven?

I would agree with you here, and add as well where any "physical" attributes like hands, feet, back, head, eyes, ears, etc., are to be understood as anthropomorphisms.

I agree that He is not human, though the grammar used in our languages speaks in a way that we can relate to Him as such.

I agree there is no "word" separate from the Father that is a person.
Good to see we agree largely.
His material body didn't exist until he was born. So in what way did he come down from heaven?
When he died it is recorded he "gave up his Spirit." So that's one part of him that was both invisible, and came from heaven.

Where do you think God's breath comes from? ;)
God. But the idea is that what comes out of God, in terms of "breath," is not part of God. Is your breath part of you? We are engaged in metaphors here, all the time. We can only adhere to the limits of the metaphor.

Then there is the bit in Ecclesiastes where the "spirit returns to God" and it is understood that the spirit is not itself part of God.

So some spirits, e.g. evil spirits, are not part of God, even if breathed by God. But Jesus actually came from God himself.

Isn't life part of God, the living God?
True. But the life of each human is his own, unless you're a pantheist, which isn't scriptural. That is why the breath metaphor is used. What is expelled from God is no longer part of God (which I presume is why the Word (logos) was said by Jesus to be "in" God) and not "with" God (surely a mistranslation by John 1:1 - I think the Greek means "according to God.").
Do we want to get into the chemistry and physics of it?
No, but we have to understand we're not engaged with pantheism. Even Jesus accepted he wasn't God.
Agreed ?.

I'm talking about the validity of your argument about the impossibility of God to create Jesus without a human father.
The prophecies that Christians rely on to prove Jesus' lineage depends on it.

A new Adam wouldn't have any human parents.

So, you didn't bother answering what is the difference between the sign of a pregnant virgin compared to a pregnant non-virgin. The sign should be visible to all.

The only place that I recall that the sign of a virgin is discussed is in Deut 22.

17And now he has accused her of shameful conduct, saying, ‘I discovered that your daughter was not a virgin.’ But here is the proof of her virginity.” And they shall spread out the cloth before the city elders.

I don't think Mary provided this sign. ;)

I'm not talking about those prophecies. Are you trying to change the topic because you realize how silly your previous argument was?

DoctrinesofGraceBapt said:
Did literally anyone else say anything about God having DNA?
Some people have on this forum.

Why are you thinking those heretics are Trinitarians?

Does God not have the capacity to make a woman pregnant without the addition of sperm from a man?
Yes, He does. But since your side also quotes Gen 3:15 with a reference to seed of a woman, and all women since Eve are fathered with sperm, that's not happening. All prophecies points to physical descent from Abraham's and David's loins and seed, males, not females.

Well, God created Adam without sperm or egg; so, it seems reasonable that God could make a second Adam, literally NT Language, without sperm in Mary's womb.
See above. Then you have zero legitimacy to the throne which only goes through males.

Not relevant at all to the point I'm making. You were not talking about the "legitimacy to the throne which only goes through males." Such is a meaningful argument. If that's how you are were arguing, I wouldn't have said anything. But, you were arguing against the God's ablity to make a new Adam. That's what I'm responding to; that's the argument I'm critiquing.

That's our rational. Look at that, not one word about God DNA.
Ok, but your rational fails.

How?

God Bless

True. But the life of each human is his own, unless you're a pantheist, which isn't scriptural.
But the spark of life given of God to all returns to Him when we die.

That is why the breath metaphor is used. What is expelled from God is no longer part of God (which I presume is why the Word (logos) was said by Jesus to be "in" God) and not "with" God (surely a mistranslation by John 1:1 - I think the Greek means "according to God.").
If it's life, why not?

No, but we have to understand we're not engaged with pantheism. Even Jesus accepted he wasn't God.
Then we have no difference of opinion here.

I'm not talking about those prophecies. Are you trying to change the topic because you realize how silly your previous argument was?
I'm not changing anything. Just showing how silly a virgin birth is. You never told me how a virgin birth is a sign. Do you care to try?

Could God create a man again from scratch? Sure, though the creation accounts say all of creation was completed.

It seems you're driving that there is a need to exclude man from the virgin birth due to sin so that Jesus isn't infected. If so, how do you think he escapes with having Mary as his mother? Please ignore the question if doesn't apply.

Because some have argued that before.

Not relevant at all to the point I'm making. You were not talking about the "legitimacy to the throne which only goes through males." Such is a meaningful argument. If that's how you are were arguing, I wouldn't have said anything. But, you were arguing against the God's ablity to make a new Adam. That's what I'm responding to; that's the argument I'm critiquing.
Why argue at all since even Jesus with one parent doesn't make him a new Adam?

By everything I've said.

God Bless
Likewise

Last edited:
But the spark of life given of God to all returns to Him when we die.
It may return to God, but it isn't absorbed by God. cf. the judgement.

If it's life, why not?
"Life" is answerable to God, not part of God. cf. The Old Testament.
Then we have no difference of opinion here.
Jesus did say he came from God. That is your issue, but I suggest it's not really a big issue given that God gave life to Adam. The difference just lies in the nature of the life/spirit that God breathed into the man Jesus. Is God so powerless that he cannot do what he wants? Who are the Jews to restrict him?

It may return to God, but it isn't absorbed by God. cf. the judgement.
Tell me the difference between return and absorbed?

"Life" is answerable to God, not part of God. cf. The Old Testament.
God is life. The Tanakh.

Jesus did say he came from God.
And?

That is your issue, but I suggest it's not really a big issue given that God gave life to Adam. The difference just lies in the nature of the life/spirit that God breathed into the man Jesus.
No different than what mankind has.

Is God so powerless that he cannot do what he wants? Who are the Jews to restrict him?
Not to bash on you, but to argue God can do whatever He wants leads to compromising if not contradictory situations.

For example, can God the Creator be created? Can God sin? Can God misjudge, make a mistake, etc.

Tell me the difference between return and absorbed?
Jesus says re the dead, "to God all are alive." So they have returned to God, God knows them, but they retain their own life (consciousness).

God is life. The Tanakh.
But life goes out from God, even eternal life. Hence when God breathed into Adam, Adam became a living being,

Jesus isn't just a life, but the eternal life. That is, the very life of God himself (or a portion of it).

No different than what mankind has.
Not so. Jesus said he came down from heaven. It's up to you to disprove it. Can you prove Jesus guilty of sin?

Not to bash on you, but to argue God can do whatever He wants leads to compromising if not contradictory situations.

For example, can God the Creator be created? Can God sin? Can God misjudge, make a mistake, etc.
God can't contradict himself in any way, but breathing the life of the Logos into Jesus, to whom was granted the eternal life, isn't doing anything of the sort (i.e. contradiction) but fulfilling scripture.

Jesus says re the dead, "to God all are alive." So they have returned to God, God knows them, but they retain their own life (consciousness).
Where does he say this? The righteous are said to be alive and the sinful dead even when alive.

But life goes out from God, even eternal life. Hence when God breathed into Adam, Adam became a living being,
But God's life isn't diminished.

Jesus isn't just a life, but the eternal life. That is, the very life of God himself (or a portion of it).
No, he was speaking of the commandments.

Not so. Jesus said he came down from heaven. It's up to you to disprove it. Can you prove Jesus guilty of sin?
All men sin. Jesus broke his vow of wine at the cross, donated to the temple funds for his own personal sins, took on a nazirite vow requiring sacrifices at its completion, came in contact with the dead requiring washing for the purification of sin, etc.

BTW, when Jesus gave the verdict of saying whoever is without sin to cast the first stone, he changed the law in doing so. The law doesn't require sinless witnesses. That's a sin.

Jesus was speaking metaphorically about heaven.

God can't contradict himself in any way, but breathing the life of the Logos into Jesus, to whom was granted the eternal life, isn't doing anything of the sort (i.e. contradiction) but fulfilling scripture.
I don't see Jesus fulfilling anything.

So you've admitted God can't do everything. ;) It's not just what Jews say.

Last edited:
I'm not changing anything. Just showing how silly a virgin birth is.

By changing the topic under discussion.

You never told me how a virgin birth is a sign. Do you care to try?

That's because I'm not talking about that topic.

Because some have argued that before.

So, you take a heretic's word that he is a Trinitarian, but you won't take a Trinitarian's word on definitional aspects of the Trinity?

Why argue at all since even Jesus with one parent doesn't make him a new Adam?

Still trying to change the topic I see. I'm not justifying my position at all right now, in any way, shape or form. I'm just critiquing your previous argument. Maybe, you should stay on topic.

That's our rational. Look at that, not one word about God DNA.
Ok, but your rational fails.
By everything I've said.

When someone asks for specifics, given them specifics.

God Bless

Back