I have found the piece which I had lost.

?
So, you're telling me that you can't read and understand American English?
What is your native language, or mother tongue?
I'll translate it for you. Well, Google will translate it for you.
I was born in Arizona, and taught English, but I do not understand what you were trying to say. I don't understand what you believe this passage is about.

You asked a different question.
I answered that question.

Are you now asking a new question?
If so, what is it?
No I am not asking anything. I can relate to this passage because I was lost, and Christ found me.

I was born in Arizona, and taught English, but I do not understand what you were trying to say. I don't understand what you believe this passage is about.
It was quite clearly stated.

If you're an English teacher, then you should be able to comprehend what I stated.
Considering that I earned A's in my college English courses and my professor said he liked my writing because I included clear and concisely relevant information, your inability to understand what I've written seems like you're overthinking this.
It's not a complicated statement.

No I am not asking anything. I can relate to this passage because I was lost, and Christ found me.
Jesus found all of us who believe in him.

And for guys like me who really hard at destroying ourselves, that's no small feat.

Let's do it this way.

You reread what I stated, in relation to your original post, and then explain to me what you don't understand.
We'll work through it.

https://forums.carm.org/threads/i-have-found-the-piece-which-i-had-lost.13872/post-1088589

Eternomade said:
Luke 15

8 Either what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she lose one piece, doth not light a candle, and sweep the house, and seek diligently till she find it?

9 And when she hath found it, she calleth her friends and her neighbours together, saying, Rejoice with me; for I have found the piece which I had lost.

10 Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.

What is this a picture of?

1. Sinners searching for Christ.
2. Christ searching for His Sheep.

This woman had oil, light, and she owned this piece of silver before losing it...
SteveB said:
Neither.

It's always been my understanding that it's about the importance of not giving up hope of finding what you lost, and matters.

It was quite clearly stated.

If you're an English teacher, then you should be able to comprehend what I stated.
Considering that I earned A's in my college English courses and my professor said he liked my writing because I included clear and concisely relevant information, your inability to understand what I've written seems like you're overthinking this.
It's not a complicated statement.
I didn't teach English, sorry. I was taught English. But, I didn't go to any college or anything.

And for guys like me who really hard at destroying ourselves, that's no small feat.
This makes no sense to me. How can we be lost but still believe? Wouldn't one have to be found before they can believe? Otherwise they would not know they were lost.

Let's do it this way.

You reread what I stated, in relation to your original post, and then explain to me what you don't understand.
We'll work through it.
Yes I have read it many times. I don't understand though. Maybe you should try answering the OP a different way? You said it was "neither" man seeking God, or God seeking man? OK, I don't get it.

So, you're telling me that you can't read and understand American English?
What is your native language, or mother tongue?
I'll translate it for you. Well, Google will translate it for you.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to be so gratuitously insulting.
Just because someone doesn't understand something you wrote, does not mean that they don't understand English.

Case in point, do you understand English?
If you answer yes, then tell me if you understand this:

"Righteous thus Billy thrown Empire State Building red travel soon."

Did you understand that? Probably not.
Does that mean you don't understand English?
Well, according to your standards, obviously yes.

You ask if the other poster is an English teacher.
Well, I'm a teacher, and I've taught English, but I'm not an English teacher.

But there two things that I can tell you:

1) If I'm explaining something to a student, and they tell me they don't understand, I don't insult them by playing the "blame game". If someone doesn't understand something, the standard response is to try to explain it in a different way. Yet you refuse to do so, and I have to wonder why.

2) If there is a communication breakdown, then there is ALWAYS enough blame for both sides. So again, it makes sense for the communicator to rephrase what he meant, at least if his purpose is for productive discussion.

I didn't teach English, sorry. I was taught English. But, I didn't go to any college or anything.
Ah, Ok. Thank you.
This makes no sense to me. How can we be lost but still believe?
Of course not. You're not reading it correctly.

I said,

I didn't say that Jesus found me after I'd believed in him.
I said,
Jesus found (past tense) all of us who believe in him (present tense).
He found me. And because he found me, I now believe in Jesus.

You're imposing your own bias about what I stated. Try again.

Slow down. Read the words as they actually are, not as you want them to be.

Wouldn't one have to be found before they can believe?
That was what I actually stated.
Otherwise they would not know they were lost.

Yes I have read it many times. I don't understand though. Maybe you should try answering the OP a different way?
Tell me what you think I said.
You said it was "neither" man seeking God, or God seeking man? OK, I don't get it.
That's because you stopped reading.
"Neither" is only part of my response.

I further explained in the next part.

Neither.

It's always been my understanding that it's about the importance of not giving up hope of finding what you lost, and matters.

Ah, Ok. Thank you.

Of course not. You're not reading it correctly.

I said,

I didn't say that Jesus found me after I'd believed in him.
I said,
Jesus found (past tense) all of us who believe in him (present tense).
He found me. And because he found me, I now believe in Jesus.

You're imposing your own bias about what I stated. Try again.

Slow down. Read the words as they actually are, not as you want them to be.

That was what I actually stated.

Tell me what you think I said.

That's because you stopped reading.
"Neither" is only part of my response.

I further explained in the next part.

Neither.

No thanks, not interested.

@eternomade

I agree it is sad.
We're enjoined by 2 Timothy 2:15

2Ti 2:15 WEB

Give diligence to present yourself approved by God, a workman who doesn’t need to be ashamed, properly handling the Word of Truth.

So, if you continue to bail out each time you feel like it's too hard for you, just how do you think that you're ever going to learn?

According to 2 Corinthians 12:9-10, God's Grace is sufficient for us. In our weaknesses (when we feel like something is too hard for us), his strength is made complete.

He ensures that we will have what we need to grow in our understanding and learning and experience of and with Him.

So, stop walking away when it gets uneasy.

@eternomade

I agree it is sad.
We're enjoined by 2 Timothy 2:15

2Ti 2:15 WEB

Give diligence to present yourself approved by God, a workman who doesn’t need to be ashamed, properly handling the Word of Truth.

So, if you continue to bail out each time you feel like it's too hard for you, just how do you think that you're ever going to learn?

According to 2 Corinthians 12:9-10, God's Grace is sufficient for us. In our weaknesses (when we feel like something is too hard for us), his strength is made complete.

He ensures that we will have what we need to grow in our understanding and learning and experience of and with Him.

So, stop walking away when it gets uneasy.
Exactly Steve.

No, he is not denying God's prophetic word.
No he isnt, you are. MANY does not mean ALL, so Paul must be careful not to state that ALL are MADE sinners, because that is simply not true. There are those that God does not hold accountable for sin.
That is why just a few chapters earlier He says "For all have sinned, and fallen short of the glory of God." Why did all fall short of the glory of God? Because all were sinners. I mean, it is right there, and you still let it smack you in the face and steal your lunch money.
"All have sinned" and "many were made sinners" are two vastly different statements. The former deals with each persons actions, and the latter deals with Gods view of them. It goes back to Deut 1:39 and Gods view of those He decides to hold accountable for sin. Do children lie? Of course. Does God charge that sin against a child the way He does an adult? No.
Consider that God said, There are none righteous, no not one. There are none that do good. There are none that seek after God. Yet you still say that that is a lie and that it is not none, but only many, or some? God was clear. There are NONE. Why? He gave the reason. For they have all gone their own way. Paul even brings up this prophecy in his letters. There must be a reason.

What does Paul say in Romans 3?

9 What then? Are we [f]better? Not at all; for we have already charged that both Jews and Greeks are all under sin; 10 as it is written,
All under sin is different than "many were made sinners". The wages of sin is death, a the very writer Paul is about to quote wrote an entire Psalm from the perspective of a dead sinner.

Ps 119:40 Behold, I have longed after thy precepts: quicken me in thy righteousness.
37 Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity; and quicken thou me in thy way.
25 My soul cleaveth unto the dust: quicken thou me according to thy word.
“There is none righteous, not even one;
11 There is none who understands,
There is none who seeks for God;
Ps 119
2 Blessed are those who keep his testimonies,
who seek him with their whole heart,
7 I will praise you with an upright heart,
when I learn your righteous rules

12 All have turned aside, together they have become worthless;
There is none who does good,
There is not even one.”
39 Turn away the reproach that I dread,
for your rules are good.
102 I do not turn aside from your rules,
for you have taught me.
37 Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things;
and give me life in your ways.

13 “Their throat is an open tomb,
With their tongues they keep deceiving,”
“The poison of asps is under their lips”;
13 With my lips I declare
all the rules of your mouth.
172 My tongue will sing of your word,
for all your commandments are right.
171 My lips will pour forth praise,
for you teach me your statutes.
14 “Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness”;
131 I open my mouth and pant,
because I long for your commandments.
15 “Their feet are swift to shed blood,
101 I hold back my feet from every evil way,
in order to keep your word.
16 Destruction and misery are in their paths,
105 Your word is a lamp to my feet
and a light to my path.
17 And the path of peace they have not known.”
18 “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”
120 My flesh trembles for fear of you,
and I am afraid of your judgments.
159 Consider how I love your precepts!
Give me life according to your steadfast love.

There may be more to this than you realize.
19 Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are in the Law, so that every mouth may be shut and all the world may become accountable to God; 20 because by the works [g]of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for [h]through the Law comes the knowledge of sin.
Indeed. Back to the topic:

Luke 15:8 “Or what woman, having ten silver coins, if she loses one coin, does not light a lamp and sweep the house and seek diligently until she finds it?

The woman did not have the thought of ten coins, the idea of ten coins, the intention of having ten coins later.....She had, in her possession, ten actual coins, and lost one. That means that before the coin was lost, it was with the woman. If the woman is Christ and we are the coin, then we were with Christ before being lost, it would seem.
You claim not to be pelagian, but your words show different.
While you were busy studying men and their thoughts on scripture, I studied scripture. So if I dont agree with what some man said, I get accused of being the disciple of another man. If you dont agree with what the bible said, I will tell you that your view is unscriptural. Therein lies the difference in our approaches.
Paul is separating humanity from the rest of creation (animals, plants, etc.), and then separating the elect/those who believe from the whole of humanity. I think it is funny that you believe that animals are sinners, and that Jesus died for them as well.
The idea that Paul means to bring animals and plants to the discussion in Romans 5 is so silly I cant even muster a response to it. Contextually, logically, rationally, it just fails on every level. Thats why the best you can do is say things like "you believe animals are sinners", your argument is so silly you need to say silly things to support it.

No he isnt, you are. MANY does not mean ALL, so Paul must be careful not to state that ALL are MADE sinners, because that is simply not true. There are those that God does not hold accountable for sin.

"All have sinned" and "many were made sinners" are two vastly different statements. The former deals with each persons actions, and the latter deals with Gods view of them. It goes back to Deut 1:39 and Gods view of those He decides to hold accountable for sin. Do children lie? Of course. Does God charge that sin against a child the way He does an adult? No.

All under sin is different than "many were made sinners". The wages of sin is death, a the very writer Paul is about to quote wrote an entire Psalm from the perspective of a dead sinner.

Ps 119:40 Behold, I have longed after thy precepts: quicken me in thy righteousness.
37 Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity; and quicken thou me in thy way.
25 My soul cleaveth unto the dust: quicken thou me according to thy word.

Ps 119
2 Blessed are those who keep his testimonies,
who seek him with their whole heart,
7 I will praise you with an upright heart,
when I learn your righteous rules

39 Turn away the reproach that I dread,
for your rules are good.
102 I do not turn aside from your rules,
for you have taught me.
37 Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things;
and give me life in your ways.

13 With my lips I declare
all the rules of your mouth.
172 My tongue will sing of your word,
for all your commandments are right.
171 My lips will pour forth praise,
for you teach me your statutes.

131 I open my mouth and pant,
because I long for your commandments.

101 I hold back my feet from every evil way,
in order to keep your word.

105 Your word is a lamp to my feet
and a light to my path.

120 My flesh trembles for fear of you,
and I am afraid of your judgments.
159 Consider how I love your precepts!
Give me life according to your steadfast love.

There may be more to this than you realize.

Indeed. Back to the topic:

Luke 15:8 “Or what woman, having ten silver coins, if she loses one coin, does not light a lamp and sweep the house and seek diligently until she finds it?

The woman did not have the thought of ten coins, the idea of ten coins, the intention of having ten coins later.....She had, in her possession, ten actual coins, and lost one. That means that before the coin was lost, it was with the woman. If the woman is Christ and we are the coin, then we were with Christ before being lost, it would seem.

While you were busy studying men and their thoughts on scripture, I studied scripture. So if I dont agree with what some man said, I get accused of being the disciple of another man. If you dont agree with what the bible said, I will tell you that your view is unscriptural. Therein lies the difference in our approaches.

The idea that Paul means to bring animals and plants to the discussion in Romans 5 is so silly I cant even muster a response to it. Contextually, logically, rationally, it just fails on every level. Thats why the best you can do is say things like "you believe animals are sinners", your argument is so silly you need to say silly things to support it.
Since you have thoroughly shown the Bible to be full of contradictions, I guess I have nothing left to argue. Very good. All because you don't understand how to properly handle the word... many. All because you don't understand the context of the aggregate of scripture. David was a sinner. Yet, God made him different. Did God simply justify David's murder of Bathsheba? The Old Testament says that if anyone justifies evil/wickedness, then they themselves are evil/wicked. David was a sinner. However, just as God credited the sinner Abraham's faith as righteousness, so God could do the same for David. It was still through the cross of Christ, which is why scripture states that Abraham looked forward in faith to the day of Christ. The cross is not simply a point in time. It is a point in eternity.

This does bring up the idea that perhaps the elect are never held accountable in the eternal point of view. That doesn't mean that they aren't responsible for what they did, and as such possibly face temporal punishment/discipline from God, but that in the eternal view of things, they are not held accountable. But we don't live in the eternal, we are temporal. As such we were all at one point sinners, and must consider ourselves in that view (temporally speaking). We are not God. We do not know what is going to happen a nano-second from now, but God has already told us how the world will end. You have to take into consideration how the word many is used. Part of the creation, humanity, all of humanity, was made sinners. So the proper word to use is not all, because it isn't all of creation, but the word many, since it was all of a part of creation. And then, a part of all humanity (perhaps a large part, since history is so long) was saved through the cross, so the many (believers) were saved. So a portion of the creation were made sinners (humanity), and a portion of that humanity (those who believe) was saved. Understand the construction. Also understand if God does hold some people to a different standard (not held accountable) there is a reason that He can do that without sin. We can't understand it, because the Bible is not clear. It simply states that God decided not to hold children responsible for Israel's rejection of God at the promised land, because they do not know the difference between good or evil. This is a specific situation, and while I do believe it can be expanded to say that children are not held accountable for any sin they may commit, the only support it has is...wait and see. If there are children in heaven (all children), then that was the correct point of view. If there is even one child who is not in heaven, then we were wrong. There was a different answer.

Scripture is clear that there are none righteous, no not one. None that seek after God. Jesus amplified that when He spoke of salvation and said that it is impossible for man to be saved. That is, man on his own will, of their own will, go to hell. However, He followed up by saying with God, all things are possible. How does this line up with the prophecy about none righteous? Why does the prophecy say that there are none righteous, and none who follow/seek after God? They have all gone their own way. Jesus said that with man salvation is impossible. Why? Man goes their own way. However, with God, all things are possible. So if God changes man's way to His way, salvation is possible. Seeking after God becomes possible. So all those verses about people saying these things about God. It is because of God that they could say those things. Not puppetry, but transformation of the heart, soul, and mind. They see things differently, so they live differently. It is difficult to quantify, since the Bible is beyond our ability to fully comprehend. (To natural man it is folly, so why should one believe that by being a believer you all of a sudden have all knowledge, and that that knowledge is perfect?) The Bible is but a surface human telling of an existence that expands into eternity. In other words, there are many things that we will not understand until we face God. God has not revealed all to us, but will.

While you were busy studying men and their thoughts on scripture, I studied scripture.
Which makes you another man with thoughts on Scripture.

There's millions of us, cadwell.

So if I dont agree with what some man said, I get accused of being the disciple of another man. If you dont agree with what the bible said, I will tell you that your view is unscriptural. Therein lies the difference in our approaches.
Only you know Scripture correctly. Got it.

Since you have thoroughly shown the Bible to be full of contradictions, I guess I have nothing left to argue. Very good. All because you don't understand how to properly handle the word... many. All because you don't understand the context of the aggregate of scripture.
There is no argument against the truth of the bible when it contradicts doctrines of men. Total depravity sounds good on the surface, but a deeper dig reveals it to be totally false. You were just shown the REST of what scripture says about the condition of dead, fallen man, and couldnt understand it because you have a poor understanding of the word MANY.
David was a sinner. Yet, God made him different.
This is simply not true, and if you think it is, you have completely missed the point of Romans 3. There is no difference. Having missed the point of the earlier chapters, it becomes clearer why you still miss the mark on Romans 5.
This does bring up the idea that perhaps the elect are never held accountable in the eternal point of view.
A common symptom of calvinism is to read it into everything. The above statement is more of that.
We do not know what is going to happen a nano-second from now, but God has already told us how the world will end.
I have said many times, that the error of your theology is that it starts at the end and works backwards.
You have to take into consideration how the word many is used. Part of the creation, humanity, all of humanity, was made sinners. So the proper word to use is not all, because it isn't all of creation, but the word many, since it was all of a part of creation.
This is contextually irrelevant and false.

Romans 5
18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Paul is clearly speaking of people, so the MANY is from among the ALL MEN. EVERYONE is under the condemnation of death through Adams sin, because access to the tree of life is cut off. That, however, does not make EVERYONE a sinner. Hence the word MANY.
It simply states that God decided not to hold children responsible for Israel's rejection of God at the promised land, because they do not know the difference between good or evil. This is a specific situation, and while I do believe it can be expanded to say that children are not held accountable for any sin they may commit, the only support it has is...wait and see. If there are children in heaven (all children), then that was the correct point of view. If there is even one child who is not in heaven, then we were wrong. There was a different answer.
I agree that it is not clearly stated, but the "wait and see" approach is unbilbical. 2 Sam 12:23, David said with all certainty that he would go to his dead child. Do you think that David thought that reunion would be in hell?? Matt 19:14, is Jesus being misleading?
Scripture is clear that there are none righteous, no not one. None that seek after God.
Scripture is also clear that many sought God, and there were times where God was angry with sin, and declared that He would not be found by the sinners who seek after Him. The truth is found in accepting everything the bible says, not giving half the story to support a false doctrine.
Jesus said that with man salvation is impossible. Why? Man goes their own way. However, with God, all things are possible. So if God changes man's way to His way, salvation is possible. Seeking after God becomes possible. So all those verses about people saying these things about God. It is because of God that they could say those things.
Again, leaving out half the story to support a doctrine. Unregenerate man calls out to God to direct his paths, Psalms 119.
Not puppetry, but transformation of the heart, soul, and mind. They see things differently, so they live differently. It is difficult to quantify, since the Bible is beyond our ability to fully comprehend. (To natural man it is folly, so why should one believe that by being a believer you all of a sudden have all knowledge, and that that knowledge is perfect?) The Bible is but a surface human telling of an existence that expands into eternity. In other words, there are many things that we will not understand until we face God. God has not revealed all to us, but will.
There are many things that can be understood by reading the scriptures and letting them teach and correct us, without reading anything into them.

Back