I have found the piece which I had lost.

eternomade

Luke 15
8 Either what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she lose one piece, doth not light a candle, and sweep the house, and seek diligently till she find it?

9 And when she hath found it, she calleth her friends and her neighbours together, saying, Rejoice with me; for I have found the piece which I had lost.

10 Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.

What is this a picture of?

1. Sinners searching for Christ.
2. Christ searching for His Sheep.

This woman had oil, light, and she owned this piece of silver before losing it...

Luke 15
8 Either what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she lose one piece, doth not light a candle, and sweep the house, and seek diligently till she find it?

9 And when she hath found it, she calleth her friends and her neighbours together, saying, Rejoice with me; for I have found the piece which I had lost.

10 Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.

This woman had oil, light, and she owned this piece of silver before losing it...
It appears Christ is teaching these parables to show how when a person finds what was lost (in this scenario first a lost sheep; Luke 15:4-7 then a lost coin; Luke 15:8-10) they do much celebrating.

Christ then tells the parable of the prodigal returned to his father, and it ends with rejoicing, except for the eldest son; Luke 15:11-32.

He uses it as comparison to God rejoicing over repentant sinners, and even moreso than the persons in the parables; Luke 15:7.

We also know that Christ seeks and saves what was lost; Luke 19:10, so we can take this truth into consideration concerning the parable, and apply it.

But we don't want to make parables "walk on all fours" as some say, and attempt to make every detail apply spiritually somehow. For instance, we don't want to make the woman sweeping into God.

Parables are there to make a point. The point is God will save the lost, and rejoices greatly in bringing His elect to repentance; 2 Peter 3:9.

Last edited:
He uses it as comparison to God rejoicing over repentant sinners, and even moreso than the persons in the parables.
Yep.

Parables are there to make a point. The point is God will save the lost, and rejoices greatly in bringing His elect to repentance; 2 Peter 3:9.
The point is Christ searching for sinners that repenteth would be more in keeping with the context.
Luke 15: 10 Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.

Really ...
Luke 15...
Yes, now look at that in light of the parable. Where do you see anyone repenting? In fact, what should be repenting? The coin. God finding the coin is an allegory to people coming to salvation. They are lost and can't find the way home, so God goes and finds them.

Yes, now look at that in light of the parable. Where do you see anyone repenting? In fact, what should be repenting? The coin. God finding the coin is an allegory to people coming to salvation. They are lost and can't find the way home, so God goes and finds them.
The previous post explains the parable:
It appears Christ is teaching these parables to show how when a person finds what was lost (in this scenario first a lost sheep; Luke 15:4-7 then a lost coin; Luke 15:8-10) they do much celebrating.

Christ then tells the parable of the prodigal returned to his father, and it ends with rejoicing, except for the eldest son; Luke 15:11-32.

He uses it as comparison to God rejoicing over repentant sinners, and even moreso than the persons in the parables; Luke 15:7....

Luke 15

3. A biblical refutation of the doctrine of original sin and total depravity.

Ah, pelagian? Really? I'm surprised.
I say one thing and I get called a name.

The text says the woman HAD ten pieces, LOST one, and FOUND it. Being lost and found is likened to a sinner repenting. Before that happens, as the text says, the coin is in the woman’s possession. If the LOST coin is a sinner, what is the coin before being lost?

I say one thing and I get called a name.

The text says the woman HAD ten pieces, LOST one, and FOUND it. Being lost and found is likened to a sinner repenting. Before that happens, as the text says, the coin is in the woman’s possession. If the LOST coin is a sinner, what is the coin before being lost?
^^^ Trying to make a parable walk on all fours instead of getting the point that Jesus is making.

3. A biblical refutation of the doctrine of original sin and total depravity.
^^^ Misusing Scripture as it were a collection of verses intended to refute the Doctrines of Grace. The text supports none of what @cadwell has eisegeted into its meaning.

Reminds me of Wile E. Coyote, always trying to get Roadrunner, but always fails.

*meep* *meep.*

^^^ Misusing Scripture as it were a collection of verses intended to refute the Doctrines of Grace. The text supports none of what @cadwell has eisegeted into its meaning.

Reminds me of Wile E. Coyote, always trying to get Roadrunner, but always fails.

*meep* *meep.*
You got the sound wrong also

it's beep beep

If the other parables which are found along with this one are any indication, it pictures Christ looking for his sheep. These parables when seen together reveal the chronology of events in God's plan of salvation. Jesus then points out that one cannot follow him unless they sell everything and give the proceeds to the poor. Selling one's belongings is not a means of salvation, but the inevitable consequence of salvation. Money is worthless in a kingdom of wasteful abundance.

^^^ Trying to make a parable walk on all fours instead of getting the point that Jesus is making.
The gospel writer has Jesus explicitly provide the point which is that no one can follow him unless they sell everything and give the proceeds to the poor. Again, this isn't a means of salvation, but the consequence of being found or having God reveal the kingdom. When one finds the treasure, the field is purchased afterwards.

The gospel writer has Jesus explicitly provide the point which is that no one can follow him unless they sell everything and give the proceeds to the poor. Again, this isn't a means of salvation, but the consequence of being found or having God reveal the kingdom. When one finds the treasure, the field is purchased afterwards.
Sorry, nothing in the context of Luke 15 supports your theory, you're adding your ideas into the text.

Yes, you are.
nothing in the context of Luke 15 supports your theory, you're adding your ideas into the text.
I'm adding nothing. I'll let Jesus refute your claims himself:

"
"for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth...
Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat; neither for the body, what ye shall put on.23 The life is more than meat, and the body is more than raiment...O ye of little faith? 29 And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind.30 For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things.31 But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.32 Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
33 Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth....And they all with one consent began to make excuse...whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he CANNOT be my disciple." - Luke 12:15,22;28-33;14:18,33

Look at the parables that are juxtaposed to these claims by Christ. They fit perfectly.

Yes, you are.

I'm adding nothing. I'll let Jesus refute your claims himself:

"
"for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth...
Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat; neither for the body, what ye shall put on.23 The life is more than meat, and the body is more than raiment...O ye of little faith? 29 And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind.30 For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things.31 But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.32 Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
33 Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth....And they all with one consent began to make excuse...whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he CANNOT be my disciple." - Luke 12:15,22;28-33;14:18,33

Look at the parables that are juxtaposed to these claims by Christ. They fit perfectly.
Exactly

Back