Rom 4 - "Not by works"

Theo1689

Rom. 4:5 And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness,

Now, get this right... Paul is not arguing that someone who is a lazybones and doesn't respect Christ as Lord is going to be saved. He is giving a hypothetical, to demonstrate that a sinner's righteousness is based ZERO percent on their works, and 100% on their faith.

If there is any practical application, it would be someone like the repentant thief on the cross, who came to faith at the end of his life, but didn't have an oportunity to demonstrate that faith by his works.

It is also important to note that the works which witness to a saving faith come as a result of a redeemed man's new nature, not some artifiical impetus, "I have to do some works to make myself look good".

Rom. 4:6 just as David also speaks of the blessing of the one to whom God counts righteousness apart from works:

God counts righteousness.... APART. FROM. WORKS.
Again, Paul is separating out "works" from any contributing factor to righteousness.

He then elaborates even further:

Rom. 4:7 “Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, and whose sins are covered; 8 blessed is the man against whom the Lord will not count his sin.”

And this is where Mormons miss out on the gospel.
The gospel is not "obey to be exalted".
The gospel is that salvation comes through God not counting our sins.
The gospel is that Christ bore our sins on the cross, and gave us His righteousness to wear. And so when God look at the redeemed, He doesn't see our sin, He instead sees Christ's righteousness.
We have the mark of Christ, because He bought us and redeemed us.

The crucifixion didn't merely give us resurrection. We were going to get that already.
The crucifixion was Christ bearing our sins on the cross, our sins which kept us out of heaven, and taking them away.

Rom. 4:17 as it is written, “I have made you the father of many nations”—in the presence of the God in whom he believed, who gives life to the dead and calls into existence the things that do not exist.

I wonder if Mormons can explain to us what the bolded section means.
I mean, it seems obvious, but they seem to deny the obvious meaning.
So what does it mean, if not the obvious?

Rom. 4:5 And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness,

Now, get this right... Paul is not arguing that someone who is a lazybones and doesn't respect Christ as Lord is going to be saved. He is giving a hypothetical, to demonstrate that a sinner's righteousness is based ZERO percent on their works, and 100% on their faith.

No problem Theo, chuckle.

Introduction and Timeline for Romans 4–8

In the first three chapters of Romans, Paul focused on the need to enter into the gospel covenant; in Romans 4–8, Paul taught about life in the covenant—a quality of life that might be called life “in Christ Jesus” (Romans 8:1). Having taught that justification comes by faith in Jesus Christ and not by performances of the law of Moses (see Romans 3:21–31), Paul supported this doctrine by citing the example of Abraham, who lived hundreds of years before the law of Moses was given (see Romans 4). Chapter 5 of Romans represents a turning point in the epistle, for Paul began to teach about life in Christ. In the gospel covenant, “we have peace with God” and “access by faith into this grace wherein we stand” (Romans 5:1–2). Paul clarified that God’s grace does not condone sin, but it empowers us to overcome sin (see Romans 6:1–8:13). Entering the gospel covenant through baptism symbolizes our death to sin and our “newness of life” in Christ (Romans 6:4; see also verses 3–11). When we are faithful in that covenant relationship, we become “heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ” (Romans 8:16–17).

Romans 4:2, 4–5. Justification Is a Gift of Grace​

The Joseph Smith Translation of Romans 4:2–5 helps clarify that justification is not something we earn but rather is a gift from God:

“For if Abraham were justified by the law of works, he hath to glory in himself; but not of God.

“For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

“Now to him who is justified by the law of works, is the reward reckoned, not of grace, but of debt.

“But to him that seeketh not to be justified by the law of works, but believeth on him who justifieth not the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness” (in the Bible appendix).

Paul was teaching that if a man were justified by the works of the law, then he would have reason to glory, for then the reward he received from the Father would be compensation for services rendered and not a gift of grace. But, of course, no man can earn salvation on his own. Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles declared that the blessings of the Atonement, including inheriting eternal life, are manifestations of grace:

“Neither the unconditional nor the conditional blessings of the Atonement are available except through the grace of Christ. Obviously the unconditional blessings of the Atonement are unearned, but the conditional ones are not fully merited either. By living faithfully and keeping the commandments of God, one can receive additional privileges; but they are still given freely, not technically earned. The Book of Mormon declares emphatically that ‘there is no flesh that can dwell in the presence of God, save it be through the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah’ [2 Nephi 2:8]” (“The Atonement of Jesus Christ,” Ensign or Liahona, Mar. 2008, 36).

Romans 5
20 The Ten Commandments were given so that all could see the extent of their failure to obey God's laws. But the more we see our sinfulness, the more we see God's abounding grace forgiving us. 21 Before, sin ruled over all men and brought them to death, but now God's kindness rules instead, giving us right standing with God and resulting in eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. " Living Bible

Mormonism is foreign to the Bible

Romans 5
20 The Ten Commandments were given so that all could see the extent of their failure to obey God's laws. But the more we see our sinfulness, the more we see God's abounding grace forgiving us. 21 Before, sin ruled over all men and brought them to death, but now God's kindness rules instead, giving us right standing with God and resulting in eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. " Living Bible

Mormonism is foreign to the Bible
Yep! Repentance and forgiveness by the only one who can save...

Yep! Repentance and forgiveness by the only one who can save...
...which salvation, eternal life, is NOT by temple Worthiness or temple works, or keeping the covenants made therein, but on account of God's mercy and undeserved love towards us, that, "He saved us, NOT on account of deeds we have done in righteousness, but on account of His mercy." (Titus 3)

...which salvation, eternal life, is NOT by temple Worthiness or temple works, or keeping the covenants made therein, but on account of God's mercy and undeserved love towards us, that, "He saved us, NOT on account of deeds we have done in righteousness, but on account of His mercy." (Titus 3)
Through his Grace he saved us... period.

“After all our obedience and good works, we cannot be saved from the effect of our sins without the grace extended by the Atonement of Jesus Christ.” —Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, “What Think Ye of Christ?” Ensign, Nov. 1988, 67.

Methinks that the cults do not recognized the importance of repentance and forgiveness.... to interested in preaching saved through f----

“After all our obedience and good works, we cannot be saved from the effect of our sins without the grace extended by the Atonement of Jesus Christ.” —Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, “What Think Ye of Christ?” Ensign, Nov. 1988, 67.

But apparently good works come first, eh?
Methinks that the cults do not recognized the importance of repentance and forgiveness.... to interested in preaching saved through f----
Methinks you are in ignorance of what the true church teaches and believes, and we do indeed teach repentance and forgiveness of sins. But only those who begin to have faith in Jesus Christ will feel the need to repent and ask forgiveness of their sins. The unregenerated would feel no need to repent and ask forgiveness of a deity they do not believe in.

By "saved" what do you mean? General salvation?or Eternal life? They are quite different in Mormonism.

Which kingdom?
2nd heaven shamayim Hashamayim Kingdom

1st Heaven is Rakia to a Jew it is the atmospheric heaven found in Jer 8:7, 10:13

Isa 55:10. it is were the birds fly clouds, made on 2nd day

2nd heaven shamayim to a Jew it is the starry heaven found in Jer 44:17,25; Psalm 8:3

3rd heaven shemi Hashamayim it is the heaven where God dwells found in 1 Kings 8:27, Deut. 26:15, 2 Chron 6:33 Eccl. 5:2

This passage below says Paradise is in the third heaven

2 Corth 12:

1 It is doubtless not profitable for me to boast. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord: 2 I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago—whether in the body I do not know, or whether out of the body I do not know, God knows—such a one was caught up to the third heaven. 3 And I know such a man—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows—4 how he was caught up into Paradise and heard inexpressible words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.

Rev 2:6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitanes, which I also hate. 7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

Revelation 22

And he showed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding from the throne of God and of the Lamb.

In the middle of its street, and on either side of the river, was the tree of life, which bore twelve fruits, each tree yielding its fruit every month. The leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

REV 22: 13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. 14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Which kingdom?
There is ONLY one Kingdom of God, Richard--not three. ONLY ONE.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.

See this? ONE kingdom for ALL the blessed in the Lord. ONE--not three.

Is there any other saved by grace than Jesus Christ? And we will inherit all that God has...

You didn't really answer my question, Richard. Saved unto what? General salvation or eternal life?

In Mormonism, you will inherit all that God supposedly has ONLY if you jump through all of those Mormon hoops, and obey all of those Mormon laws:

1. paying a full tithe so...
2. One can be worthy of getting into the temple so...
3. One can do all of the ordinances that one must do therein, like being baptized for dead people, having one's marriage "sealed" in a temple, and going through the endowment ceremony
4. Wearing one's temple undergarments with Masonic symbols on them for the rest of one's life
5. Observing the WoW

Only by doing all of these things will a Mormon be "worthy" of "eternal life" to "exaltation" to "godhood" in the highest level of the CK after death.

This isn't God's grace, Richard. Far from it. Because God's grace is God's UNmerited favor/love. But Mormons must "merit" with their many works what Jesus suffered, bled, and died to give us as a gift--eternal life in heaven.

1st Heaven is Rakia to a Jew it is the atmospheric heaven found in Jer 8:7, 10:13
2nd heaven shamayim to a Jew it is the starry heaven found in Jer 44:17,25; Psalm 8:3
3rd heaven shemi Hashamayim it is the heaven where God dwells found in 1 Kings 8:27, Deut. 26:15, 2 Chron 6:33 Eccl. 5:2

Thank you for confirming this from the Jewisih standpoint.
I've been saying this for years, having determined it by the same Biblical context that you have provided.

The same is true for the Greek, "ouranos". Both Hebrew and Greek have a less precise vocabulary than English. We have three words for "sky", "space", and "heaven". They didn't in Hebrew and Greek.

1st Heaven: Acts 11:6 ... and reptiles and birds of the <ouranos>.
2nd Heaven: Rev. 6:13 and the stars of the <ouranos> fell to the earth ...
3rd Heaven: Matt. 12:50 ... the will of my Father in <ouranos> ...

2 Corth 12:

1 It is doubtless not profitable for me to boast. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord: 2 I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago—whether in the body I do not know, or whether out of the body I do not know, God knows—such a one was caught up to the third heaven. 3 And I know such a man—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows—4 how he was caught up into Paradise and heard inexpressible words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.

Rev 2:6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitanes, which I also hate. 7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

Revelation 22

And he showed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding from the throne of God and of the Lamb.

In the middle of its street, and on either side of the river, was the tree of life, which bore twelve fruits, each tree yielding its fruit every month. The leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

REV 22: 13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. 14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory. So also is the resurrection of the dead.

1 Corinthians 15:40-42

There is ONLY one Kingdom of God, Richard--not three. ONLY ONE.

See this? ONE kingdom for ALL the blessed in the Lord. ONE--not three.
There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory. So also is the resurrection of the dead. (1 Corinthians 15:40-42

There are also celestial bodies,

That simply means those things in space, which Paul lists as "Sun", "moon", "star", and "different star" (note four things, not "three"). Nothing about "kingdoms" here.

and bodies terrestrial:

That simply means, "Earthly" (the Latin word "Terra" is the name of Earth). ANd Paul lists them as "humans", "animals", "birds", "fish" (note four things, not "three"). Nothing about "kingdoms" here.

Paul is simply comparing our present Earthly glory with our further heavenly glory (in the ONE kingdom of heaven).

but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory. So also is the resurrection of the dead.

1 Corinthians 15:40-42

Nothing about "multiple kingdoms".

<Bzzzt!>. Thanks for playing!
You'll find a consolation prize at the door, on your way out.

Back