Rom 8:28, 1 John 5:1, and why analogies are bad

Theo1689

Because of a poster starting a thread depending on the subjunctive ("would"), and the "hina" clause (although I doubt he would recognize that if he tripped over it), this caused me to look up some old podcasts of James White addressing comments by a YTer named "Kerrigan Skelly".

In this (very long, sorry) podcast (1 1/2 hrs), he addresses how 1 John 5:1 teaches that regeneration precedes faith, as I have done many times in this forum.

He addresses a good exegesis of Rom. 8:28-30 (the Golden Chain of Redemption), and why it can't be broken.

He demonstrates why "analogies" are very inaccurate (since human females are too unpredictable to be examples of "foreknowledge").

And he demonstrates the proper way to do Bible studies (eg. you don't just look up all the usages of "know" or "foreknow", if you want to understand the meaning of an instance where God is foreknowing people, you study other passages where God is the subject, and people are the object, because guess what, men are not deity, and we don't "foreknow" in the same way He does.

Rom. 8:28-30 - The "Golden Chain".

There are two comments by me, and one based on the exegesis by Dr. White.

The first is about "logic". There are many Arminians here who base their arguments on "logic", but what they refer to "logic" are only invalid "rationalizations". They make up analogies which support their view, and then CLAIM that their analogies are "similar" to what Scripture teaches, and we're supposed to blindly accept their assertions. As I've said in the past, anyone can invent ANY "analogy" to support any theology. I was privileged to take a course in formal logic in my undergrand. This was not a one-hour "seminar", this was an entire course, 3 hours per week for 12 weeks, and we studied FORMAL logic. I loved it, since I'm a logical thinking person, and I earned an A+. We learned rules of logic like 'modus ponens", and "modus tollens" (look them up), logical fallacies, etc. etc. So let's see how FORMAL logic addresses Scripture:

Rom. 8:29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30 And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

So basically, the rule of "modus ponens" asserts the following argument.

Premise 1: "P" (is true).
Premise 2: "P implies Q" (if P is true, then Q must be true)
----------------
Conclusion: Therefore Q (is true).

So Rom. 8:28-30 reduces to:

P1: Foreknown implies predestined;
P2: Predestined implies called;
P3: Called implies justified;
P4: justified implies glorified.
-----------------
Conclusion: Foreknown implies glorified.

This is why the "golden chain" is unbroken. It is like an express train. If you get on at the beginning, you will make it all the way to the end, and nobody can get to the end unless they got on at the beginning. In the video, Kerrigan Skelly tries to "break" the "broken chain", but TRUE FORMAL LOGIC (in contrast to "rationalization") proves that it cannot be broken.

All who are foreknown WILL reach glorification.
And how can Arminians disagree? Omniscience teaches that God "foreknows" those who will be saved (and therefore "glorified").

The second point, the one brought up by Dr. White, is fascinating. I know I've heard it before, but I guess i didn't register with me the first time. Because of my increased understanding of Koine, it resonates more with me now. I lov the concept of "bookending" in Greek. Greek is an inflected language, and so word order is not NEARLY as important in Greek as it is in English, which is much less inflected. So you can do other things with word order in Greek, such as provide emphasis, or more precisely link qualifiers to nouns.

Rom. 8:28 reads:

Rom. 8:28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

This verse tells us two things about "those who love God":
1) all things work together for good for them;
2) they are called according to [God's] purpose.

Now the Arminian-Calvinist debate can be differentiated here by two contrasting interpretations:
1) they are called because they (first choose) to love God (Arminianism, Kerrigan's position), or
2) they love God because they are called according to His purpose (Calvinism)

But what is interesting, and what Dr. White points out, is that the phrase, "those who are called according to His purpose" is rendered in the Greek as:

"τοῖς ........ κατὰ ... πρόθεσιν .. κλητοῖς", which translates to:
"the (according to purpose) called-ones".

We start with "tois kletois" ("the called ones").
And then the Greek places "according to [His] purpose" in between the article and the noun, to clarify that this phrase modifies this noun. This is not something we do in English, as it sounds awkward, but it is both possible and common in the Greek.

So those who love God do so, love God BECAUSE they are called by God to do so, which is His purpose.

I guess this is why he goes on a tangent to 1 John 5:1, which demonstrates that regeneration precedes faith. I've made this argument many times before, but when you compare 1 John 2:29, 1 John 4:7, and 1 John 5:1:

1John 2:29 ... everyone who ..... practices righteousness....... has been born of [God].
1John 4:7 ......... whoever ...................... loves ....................... has been born of God ...
1John 5:1 Everyone who ... believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God,

These are all parallel passages, and so one is left with two choices:

1) one must (a) practice righteousness, (b) love others, and (c) believe that Jesus is the Christ in order to be born of God, or regenerated (which is clearly "works salvation"; or

2) one must be regenerated in order to (a) practice righteousness, (b) love others, and (c) believe that Jesus is the Christ.

Any other option is a hopelessly inconsistent hermeneutic.

Enjoy:

Last edited:
Because of a poster starting a thread depending on the subjunctive ("would"), and the "hina" clause (although I doubt he would recognize that if he tripped over it), this caused me to look up some old podcasts of James White addressing comments by a YTer named "Kerrigan Skelly".

In this (very long, sorry) podcast (1 1/2 hrs), he addresses how 1 John 5:1 teaches that regeneration precedes faith, as I have done many times in this forum.

He addresses a good exegesis of Rom. 8:28-30 (the Golden Chain of Redemption), and why it can't be broken.

He demonstrates why "analogies" are very inaccurate (since human females are too unpredictable to be examples of "foreknowledge").

And he demonstrates the proper way to do Bible studies (eg. you don't just look up all the usages of "know" or "foreknow", if you want to understand the meaning of an instance where God is foreknowing people, you study other passages where God is the subject, and people are the object, because guess what, men are not deity, and we don't "foreknow" in the same way He does.

The first is about "logic". There are many Arminians here who base their arguments on "logic", but what they refer to "logic" are only invalid "rationalizations". They make up analogies which support their view, and then CLAIM that their analogies are "similar" to what Scripture teaches, and we're supposed to blindly accept their assertions. As I've said in the past, anyone can invent ANY "analogy" to support any theology. I was privileged to take a course in formal logic in my undergrand. This was not a one-hour "seminar", this was an entire course, 3 hours per week for 12 weeks, and we studied FORMAL logic. I loved it, since I'm a logical thinking person, and I earned an A+. We learned rules of logic like 'modus ponens", and "modus tollens" (look them up), logical fallacies, etc. etc. So let's see how FORMAL logic addresses Scripture:

Rom. 8:29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30 And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

----------------

-----------------

This is why the "golden chain" is unbroken. It is like an express train. If you get on at the beginning, you will make it all the way to the end, and nobody can get to the end unless they got on at the beginning. In the video, Kerrigan Skelly tries to "break" the "broken chain", but TRUE FORMAL LOGIC (in contrast to "rationalization") proves that it cannot be broken.

And how can Arminians disagree? Omniscience teaches that God "foreknows" those who will be saved (and therefore "glorified").
Did Mr. White mention the context of Rom 8:28-30? Romans 8:28-30, and the entire Chapter 8, is all about saved people. These are believers who are already indwelt and regenerated. The historical context is that believers are witnessing loved ones being butchered for their faith and Paul wants to console his audience and to encourage them to stay the course by explaining to them their standing with God and the glory that awaits them.

Notice that "Glorified" is past tense so it's a perspective of God from a future standpoint, looking back in time (past tense for God), who foreknows (from our perspective, προέγνω) believers (his audience) as predestined to be conformed to the Image of Christ.

A critical factor to note is that one is known (γνωσθέντες) by God only after one comes out of his former ways (Gal 4:9). That does not detract from His omniscience. It means that we are now relationally known by God now that we are His adopted sons through Christ. This clearly shows that Rom 8:28-30 is about the guaranteed future of the believer ONLY, not about lost people being elected to glorification.

The calling is vocational as all Christians are Called by God (Eph 4:1, 2 Tim 1:9), and Paul even refers to them as the called-out ones (Rom 1:6). The Roman audience is already saved so Paul is not referring to a Gospel calling when he mentions "Called" in Rom 8:28-30. Paul exhorts them to walk worthy of the calling with which they are called by God. They do that through their God preordained good works, such as correctly teaching, preaching, and passing on the Word of God, for the purposes of spreading the Kingdom of God on Earth.

To be Justified is after one believes (Acts 13:39) which is the case here with all believers.

To be Glorified is the believer's Predestination to Adoption (Eph 1:5), to the Redemption of the Body (Rom 8:23).
The second point, the one brought up by Dr. White, is fascinating. I know I've heard it before, but I guess i didn't register with me the first time. Because of my increased understanding of Koine, it resonates more with me now. I lov the concept of "bookending" in Greek. Greek is an inflected language, and so word order is not NEARLY as important in Greek as it is in English, which is much less inflected. So you can do other things with word order in Greek, such as provide emphasis, or more precisely link qualifiers to nouns.

Rom. 8:28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

Now the Arminian-Calvinist debate can be differentiated here by two contrasting interpretations:
1) they are called because they (first choose) to love God (Arminianism, Kerrigan's position), or

But what is interesting, and what Dr. White points out, is that the phrase, "those who are called according to His purpose" is rendered in the Greek as:

And then the Greek places "according to [His] purpose" in between the article and the noun, to clarify that this phrase modifies this noun. This is not something we do in English, as it sounds awkward, but it is both possible and common in the Greek.

So those who love God do so, love God BECAUSE they are called by God to do so, which is His purpose.

I guess this is why he goes on a tangent to 1 John 5:1, which demonstrates that regeneration precedes faith. I've made this argument many times before, but when you compare 1 John 2:29, 1 John 4:7, and 1 John 5:1:

1John 2:29 ... everyone who ..... practices righteousness....... has been born of [God].
1John 4:7 ......... whoever ...................... loves ....................... has been born of God ...
1John 5:1 Everyone who ... believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God,

1) one must (a) practice righteousness, (b) love others, and (c) believe that Jesus is the Christ in order to be born of God, or regenerated (which is clearly "works salvation"; or

2) one must be regenerated in order to (a) practice righteousness, (b) love others, and (c) believe that Jesus is the Christ.

Enjoy:

Let's look more closely at Greek in Rom 8:28:
Οἴδαμεν δὲ ὅτι τοῖς ἀγαπῶσι τὸν Θεὸν πάντα συνεργεῖ εἰς ἀγαθόν, τοῖς κατὰ πρόθεσιν κλητοῖς οὖσιν·
That transliterates as:
Know that those loving God always work towards good, those towards purpose called are.

The English is rendered correctly as is:
(Rom 8:28) And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

Mr White's theories become true only if the Greek and English verses are manipulated. Sorry, we're not buying any manipulation of those verses. Here's another classical reason why Calvinists were unceremoniously ostracized in Greece and their myths condemned several centuries ago.

Last edited:
Did Mr. White mention the context of Rom 8:28-30? Romans 8:28-30, and the entire Chapter 8, is all about saved people. These are believers who are already indwelt and regenerated. The historical context is that believers are witnessing loved ones being butchered for their faith and Paul wants to console his audience and to encourage them to stay the course by explaining to them their standing with God and the glory that awaits them.

Dr. White addresses this twisting of Scripture in the video I posted, which you clearly didn't bother to watch.

EDITED--inflammatory

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. White addresses this twisting of Scripture in the video I posted, which you clearly didn't bother to watch.

And of course, since you clearly reject Rom. 8:28-30, you have to resort to personally attacking Dr. White. I can't say that I'm surprised.
You yourself implicated Mr White by mentioning "this twisting of Scripture". The Koine Greek Scripture should never ever be twisted. This goes beyond being a nasty habit, this is deliberate manipulation of the Truth.

You told everyone enough for everyone to understand yet again why Calvinists were unceremoniously ostracized in Greece and their myths condemned several centuries ago.

You yourself implicated Mr White by mentioning "this twisting of Scripture".

Dr. White was referring to the twisting of Scripture that Kerrigan Skelly and YOU were doing.

The Koine Greek Scripture should never ever be twisted. This goes beyond being a nasty habit, this is deliberate manipulation of the Truth.

... which is why you should stop doing it.

You told everyone enough for everyone to understand yet again why Calvinists were unceremoniously ostracized in Greece and their myths condemned several centuries ago.

Why should I care that sinners reject Scriptural truth?

You can continue to believe the Greeks.
And I'll continue to believe God and Scripture.

Dr. White was referring to the twisting of Scripture that Kerrigan Skelly and YOU were doing.
... which is why you should stop doing it.
There you go projecting again.
You dedicated over 30 lines of writings towards the twisting of the Koine Greek verse of Rom 8:28 and I said "The English is rendered correctly as is" and well as the Greek.
Why should I care that sinners reject Scriptural truth?
You can continue to believe the Greeks.
And I'll continue to believe God and Scripture.
You are stigmatizing the same people whose election vocation was to copy/propagate the Word of God - the reason why you have a translated-from-the-Greek Bible this minute in your hands.
Again, no wonder Calvinists were unceremoniously ostracized in Greece and their myths condemned several centuries ago.

in your opinion what was the greek ostracizing incident(s)?

which myths got condemned.

----------------

-----------------

Enjoy:

Superb! I'm listening to Jame White's video right now.

Last edited:
1John 5:1 Everyone who ... believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God,[

Neither #1 or 2 are correct. #1 is works and #2 is fate.

Requiring libertarian faith does not mean that a period of faith comes first and then the new birth but faith is libertarianly touching and simultaneously having the new birth ie synergism. ... And thus everyone that libertarianly has faith has been born of God.

Neither #1 or 2 are correct. #1 is works
Number 1 is evidence of conversion, not works for salvation. 1 John is a great book describing evidences of conversion.
and #2 is fate.
Number 2 is the act of God making alive (Ephesians 2:5ff) those whom he wills to save; Romans 9:11-21 &c. Fate is paganism, an impersonal force. Sovereign salvation is the Personal working of a loving God; John 6:29; Colossians 2:12-13.
Requiring libertarian faith does not mean that a period of faith comes first and then the new birth but faith is libertarianly touching and simultaneously having the new birth ie synergism. ... And thus everyone that libertarianly has faith has been born of God.
Lose the word "libertarian" and God is in control, you're closer to the truth, and He gets the glory.

Actually reading your last paragraph is akin to reading a fairy tale. 2 Timothy 4:1-4 comes to mind. Not one passage of Scripture in your response. Why? It is humanism, frankly.

Number 1 is evidence of conversion, not works for salvation. 1 John is a great book describing evidences of conversion.

Number 2 is the act of God making alive (Ephesians 2:5ff) those whom he wills to save; Romans 9:11-21 &c. Fate is paganism, an impersonal force. Sovereign salvation is the Personal working of a loving God; John 6:29; Colossians 2:12-13.

Lose the word "libertarian" and God is in control, you're closer to the truth, and He gets the glory.

Actually reading your last paragraph is akin to reading a fairy tale. 2 Timothy 4:1-4 comes to mind. Not one passage of Scripture in your response. Why? It is humanism, frankly.

It is synergism and it is the conclusion that reconciles with scriptures implying unlimited atonement and obeying mandates ie libertarianism.

The pagan fairytale would be your view ie meticulous unconditional destiny.

#1 was listed as works to obtain salvation and I responded to and refuted it that way.

Yes 1John describes the evidence of salvation but we can have evidence of hard work. It doesn't mean there wasn't libertarianism involved.

It is synergism and it is the conclusion that reconciles with scriptures implying unlimited atonement and obeying mandates ie libertarianism.
You've provided zero Scripture.
The pagan fairytale would be your view ie meticulous unconditional destiny.
You've still failed to provide Scripture, while referring to Sovereign electing grace with disdain.
#1 was listed as works to obtain salvation and I responded to and refuted it that way.
No, it wasn't listed as works to obtain salvation, that is completely false.
Yes 1John describes the evidence of salvation
Right.
but we can have evidence of hard work.
Non sequitur.
It doesn't mean there wasn't libertarianism involved.
Myths, fables, and humanism.

And?

Zero Scripture.

Back