Scripture as the Definitive Guide

He appealed to God before he went down.

I’m betting he was more than surprised, especially to find out Aaron’s involvement.
This still is not the same as someone with no explicit instruction from God personally, deciding from appearances if someone is worshipping.

He wasn’t asking about anyone’s “inner feelings” either.
The inner disposition was clear to him from what he saw and, more importantly, what Aaron told him. Moses was certainly better than anyone here at discerning that. For one thing, the people themselves admitted they were worshipping the golden calf - explicitly.

So tell me, where have you seen Catholics engaging in sacrificing animals to a statue?

This still is not the same as someone with no explicit instruction from God personally, deciding from appearances if someone is worshipping.

The inner disposition was clear to him from what he saw and, more importantly, what Aaron told him. Moses was certainly better than anyone here at discerning that. For one thing, the people themselves admitted they were worshipping the golden calf - explicitly.

So tell me, where have you seen Catholics engaging in sacrificing animals to a statue?
But that is not true, we are told to discern, judge and test what we hear, who we hear it from and what we see. Out of the mouth the heart speaks, out of your posts the heart speaks.

Worship is more than sacrficing animals to a statue. Really, flowers before a statue and candles are no different. Bowing down before them is worship

Ex 20:2

You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me,

Yes it is. He was given a heads up, it’s not like he wouldn’t have known what they were doing.
The inner disposition was clear to him from what he saw
Exactly, that’s what I’ve been saying. I know what I see.
For one thing, the people themselves admitted they were worshipping the golden calf - explicitly.
Not like they could deny it.
So you think idol worship happens only if there’s a sacrifice?

Yes it is. He was given a heads up, it’s not like he wouldn’t have known what they were doing.

Not like they could deny it.

You are right. The responses of the RCs show they are unable to detect or understand what worship is and they do not know what idol worship is. I mean the way some people follow sport could be considered worship, I mean even the term hero worship is very telling.

He probably would have known it was worship of the golden calf because they said that's what they were doing and they were sacrificing to it.

Moses knew what he saw. That does not mean you know what you see.

It is one way you could prove we were worshiping something. Balshan says putting flowers by the statue is worship. Is that your position too? Even though Scripture does not say it is a sure sign of worship. And lots of people put flowers at the graves of their departed loved ones. I don't think that's worshipping anything. In every case in the Bible when a people are worshipping another god, they say that's what they are doing. But you will notice Catholics always say the opposite. If we really were worshipping another god we would be afraid to deny it to anyone for fear of being smitten by that god for denying him. (Theses strange gods tend to be a lot less forgiving of denial than the Living God who forgave Peter even after he denied Him three times.)

He probably would have known it was worship of the golden calf because they said that's what they were doing and they were sacrificing to it.

It is one way you could prove we were worshiping something. Balshan says putting flowers by the statue is worship. Is that your position too? Even though Scripture does not say it is a sure sign of worship. And lots of people put flowers at the graves of their departed loved ones. I don't think that's worshipping anything. In every case in the Bible when a people are worshipping another god, they say that's what they are doing. But you will notice Catholics always say the opposite. If we really were worshipping another god we would be afraid to deny it to anyone for fear of being smitten by that god for denying him. (Theses strange gods tend to be a lot less forgiving of denial than the Living God who forgave Peter even after he denied Him three times.)
You show your lack of underrstanding of discernment. Yep, we know what we see from RCs and it is worship, you are bowing down before statues. Scriptures is clear that is worship.

They didn’t have to say a word for Moses to know what they were doing.
Except I do know what I see.
It is one way you could prove we were worshiping something. Balshan says putting flowers by the statue is worship. Is that your position too?
Why would you put flowers by a statue?
Even though Scripture does not say it is a sure sign of worship.
Then what is it?
And lots of people put flowers at the graves of their departed loved ones.
I actually know my loved ones. A grave isn’t a statue of them, it’s where their body is buried.
I don't think that's worshipping anything. In every case in the Bible when a people are worshipping another god, they say that's what they are doing.
Who is “they”?
But you will notice Catholics always say the opposite. If we really were worshipping another god we would be afraid to deny it to anyone for fear of being smitten by that god for denying him.
You do know you can worship objects right? Like statues, and dead saints….thats what idol worship is.
(Theses strange gods tend to be a lot less forgiving of denial than the Living God who forgave Peter even after he denied Him three times.)
You do know there is only one God, right?

Saying "Scripture is clear" in this case is just wishful thinking.
It couldn't be clearer and I posted one of the verses that prove that point. It is just wishful thinking by RCs that it is not clear. I will post them again. God is clear.

exod 20:4+
“You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me,
Lev 26:1
“You shall not make idols for yourselves or erect an image or pillar, and you shall not set up a figured stone in your land to bow down to it, for I am the Lord your God.

They didn’t have to say a word for Moses to know what they were doing.
Perhaps Moses saw them sacrificing the idol too. No matter how hard you try, you cannot make what happened in Exodus equivalent to a video of an Our Lady of Guadalupe procession.

Except I do know what I see.
So you say.

Why would you put flowers by a statue?
Why not?

Then what is it?
It is something we do.

I actually know my loved ones. A grave isn’t a statue of them, it’s where their body is buried.
How does that make it more acceptable?

Who is “they”?
In that sentence "they" refers to the ones who are worshipping something.

You do know you can worship objects right? Like statues, and dead saints….thats what idol worship is.
Well inanimate objects is what they really are, but people who worship them think they are a powerful god. The depraved of Israel even gave the golden calf the credit for leading them out of Egypt. They didn't think it was just a hunk of gold. They were so concerned about what the idol might do that they were sacrificing to it. That is not something you do to an object that you know is just an object.

You do know there is only one God, right?
I am describing the situation from the mindset of one who is worshipping a strange god. Since I am not one of those, I know the difference.

Back