The doctrine of EDD

Christian

Eternal / Exhaustive Divine Decree

The story of Sodom and Gomorrah seems to present problems for Calvinism 's (EDD ).

How do the Calvinists answer?

1. God determined that Sodom would become so wicked.

2. God determined that their wickedness would include sexual perversion.

3. God determined that Lot would offer his daughters to be abused..

4. Even though God brought Lot's wife out of the city, God determined that she would be lost, in spite of having warned her not to look back.

5. Why would God warn her if she was determined before the foundation of the world to be lost?

6. God determined that Lot's daughters would commit incest with their father.

7. And is further compounded by what Jesus Himself said :That there was actually a way that the Sodomites could’ve been saved (Matthew 11:23).

how do people believe these things about our Holy God ?

Remember God delivers from evil and does not cause evil

James 1:13
When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He tempt anyone.

1 Chronicles 4:10
And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested.

Psalm 121:7,8
The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul…

Jeremiah 15:21
And I will deliver thee out of the hand of the wicked, and I will redeem thee out of the hand of the terrible.

hope this helps !!!

The story of Sodom and Gomorrah seems to present problems for Calvinism 's (EDD ).

If you were TRULY a Calvinist for "over 4 decades" like you CLAIM, then you would know it doesn't present ANY "problems".

Why do you even care?
Nobody's forcing you to accept Calvinism, so if you don't want to accept it, don't accept it. Nobody's forcing you. You need to lose your OBSESSION with Calvinism.

You need to stop running around the forum with that big fat ugly chip on your shoulder, trying to goad people into arguments. What kind of person are you that all you want to do is argue against people and tell them who "wrong" they are, and how "perfect" you are?

4. Even though God brought Lot's wife out of the city, God determined that she would be lost, in spite of having warned her not to look back.

5. Why would God warn her if she was determined before the foundation of the world to be lost?

7. And is further compounded by what Jesus Himself said :That there was actually a way that the Sodomites could’ve been saved (Matthew 11:23).

All your 7 points are right on. A great problem for Calvinists. I think points 2, 3, 6 they like to change the subject right away or bring up examples that are somewhat not as insidious.

Calvinists say God ordains things and determines things. When you get to points like 2, 3 and 6 it seems to me they want to act like Non-Calvinists and almost make it seem like God merely allows things. Such is my belief but as I say Calvinists have no right to stand on Non-Calvinist ground when it's convenient for them.

If they're going to believe God ordains things and determines ALL THINGS then they must stay in their lane!

So....how can they possibly even in the slightest manner say God ordains and determines perversion? How can they do that? Keep in mind they can't be on the ground that God merely allows it. Can't be. That is not according to their belief. And the incest thing. I mean folks you JUST CAN'T believe God is in the ordaining of anything like this! You just can't! And yet....Calvinist doctrine would insist that they must. So I think Calvinists are always in the running away from the most difficult questions, questions that they need to answer. All I can say if I were a Calvinist that would be it. I'd say there's NO WAY God does nor could have ordained some of these things. No way!

All your 7 points are right on. A great problem for Calvinists. I think points 2, 3, 6 they like to change the subject right away or bring up examples that are somewhat not as insidious.

Calvinists say God ordains things and determines things. When you get to points like 2, 3 and 6 it seems to me they want to act like Non-Calvinists and almost make it seem like God merely allows things. Such is my belief but as I say Calvinists have no right to stand on Non-Calvinist ground when it's convenient for them.

If they're going to believe God ordains things and determines ALL THINGS then they must stay in their lane!

So....how can they possibly even in the slightest manner say God ordains and determines perversion? How can they do that? Keep in mind they can't be on the ground that God merely allows it. Can't be. And the incest thing. I mean folks you JUST CAN'T believe God is in the ordaining of anything like this! You just can't! And yet....Calvinist doctrine would insist that they must. So I think Calvinists are always in the running away from the most difficult questions, questions that they need to answer. All I can say if I were a Calvinist that would be it. I'd say there's NO WAY God does nor could have ordained some of these things. No way!
And it doesn't work on Christian's Dialectic Debate Thread, when Posters try to abide by the OP...

All your 7 points are right on. A great problem for Calvinists.

Please QUOTE any Calvinist who has admitted any verse of Scripture is a "problem".
Anti-Calvinists are the only ones calling them "problematic".

But even so, if you find them "problematic", nobody's forcing you to accept Calvinism. You need to lose your unhealthy obsession.

I think points 2, 3, 6 they like to change the subject right away or bring up examples that are somewhat not as insidious.

I believe your buddy "Christian" would label the above as "AHA".
He won't in this case, because he's on your side, but he's famous for his double standard and his personal attacks.

Calvinists say God ordains things and determines things. When you get to points like 2, 3 and 6 it seems to me they want to act like Non-Calvinists and almost make it seem like God merely allows things.

Translation: Calvinists admit that they don't hold to the straw-man arguments you create, and we act like conventional Christians, which Calvinists are.

Such is my belief but as I say Calvinists have no right to stand on Non-Calvinist ground when it's convenient for them.

I see.
So you've knocked God off His throne, and presume to be our Lord?
I don't think so.

If you don't believe God is in control of the world, then nobody's forcing you to accept Calvinism. You would do well to lose your unhealthy obsession.

And the incest thing. I mean folks you JUST CAN'T believe God is in the ordaining of anything like this! You just can't!

I see... So you reject sola Scriptura, and you instead base your false theology on what sinners accept. That explains a LOT.

God ordained the murder of the innocent son of God (Acts 4:227-28).
If you don't believe that, then you don't believe Scripture.
And that is FAR worse than any "incest" (ie. appeal to emotion).

So I think Calvinists are always in the running away from the most difficult questions,

No, we're not running away from the "questions", we're running away from the QUESTIONER, as Jesus commands us to do (Matt. 7:6). When we throw pearls of truth to you, you simply trample over them. That leads to your condemnation.

questions that they need to answer.

Why?
SInce nobody's trying to convince you to accept Calvinism, why do we "need to answer" anyone? You simply want to try to goad us into arguing with you, so you can inflate your ego. Pathetic.

All I can say if I were a Calvinist that would be it. I'd say there's NO WAY God does nor could have ordained some of these things. No way!

Well, you're NOT a Calvinst, and nobody's trying to force you to become a Calvinist.
So stop trying to play the victim. It's not a good look on you.

I'm not buying this accusation Rev. It seems rude is anyone who seeks to challenge a Calvinist belief.

Perhaps you can point out exactly what was rude and we can address it. A claim of rudeness can mean anything and I think Lurkers would want to know too.
Will you come back to the Dialectic Debate Thread?

So....how can they possibly even in the slightest manner say God ordains and determines perversion? How can they do that? Keep in mind they can't be on the ground that God merely allows it. Can't be. That is not according to their belief. And the incest thing. I mean folks you JUST CAN'T believe God is in the ordaining of anything like this! You just can't! And yet....Calvinist doctrine would insist that they must. So I think Calvinists are always in the running away from the most difficult questions, questions that they need to answer. All I can say if I were a Calvinist that would be it. I'd say there's NO WAY God does nor could have ordained some of these things. No way!
Amen brother !

I'm not buying this accusation Rev. It seems rude is anyone who seeks to challenge a Calvinist belief.

Perhaps you can point out exactly what was rude and we can address it. A claim of rudeness can mean anything and I think Lurkers would want to know too.
Agree about the " lurkers " :)

Another Calvin contradiction brother :)

“Therefore, since no man is excluded from calling upon God, the gate of salvation is set open to all men. Neither is there any other thing which keeps us back from entering in except our own unbelief. I speak of all to whom God makes Himself manifest by the gospel.”

–John Calvin, Commentary on the Acts of the Apostles

Consider this. Didn't Jesus say that if what He did and what He taught, was said in certain places and cities, God would not have destroyed them? Those places would still exist. Was God so determined to destroy them that He denied them the opportunity He gave to a group of people that He determined would reject it? So instead of God giving the word of Christ to those who would be saved by it, He doomed them to hell without remorse, and gave those words to a group of people He already knew would reject it, so He could doom them to hell not needing to question whether He should be remorseful or not. He denied life to a group of people who would have accepted it without question, to offer life to a group of people He knew would outright reject it without question. How can you reconcile this with your beliefs? I have no issue reconciling it with mine.

Consider this. Didn't Jesus say that if what He did and what He taught, was said in certain places and cities, God would not have destroyed them?
God gave those places or people sufficient grace and this is similar to what we read in Rom 1:20. There was a reason God gave Israel more of a demonstratin of things. He was seeking to establish in the minds of people that Jesus was the Christ and even to this day we look to the miracles of Jesus as a proof of his divinity.

And keep in mind.....the greater demonstration causes ones to be made more accountable to God as Jesus even said. He stated it will be more tolerable to Sodom then to the places which saw the greater manifestations.

He denied life to a group of people who would have accepted it without question,
If you're talking about the signs and wonders it wasn't the time for the Christ to come. THEY DID however have sufficient grace that is to repent.

If you're talking about the signs and wonders it wasn't the time for the Christ to come. THEY DID however have sufficient grace that is to repent.

Where is that taught in Scripture?
Or are you allowed to simply make stuff up as you go along?

God gave those places or people sufficient grace and this is similar to what we read in Rom 1:20. There was a reason God gave Israel more of a demonstratin of things. He was seeking to establish in the minds of people that Jesus was the Christ and even to this day we look to the miracles of Jesus as a proof of his divinity.

And keep in mind.....the greater demonstration causes ones to be made more accountable to God as Jesus even said. He stated it will be more tolerable to Sodom then to the places which saw the greater manifestations.
You didn't actually take the time to read it, did you?
"16 “To what should I compare this generation? It’s like children sitting in the marketplaces who call out to each other:
17 We played the flute for you,
but you didn’t dance;
we sang a lament,
but you didn’t mourn![g]
18 For John did not come eating or drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon!’ 19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Look, a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ Yet wisdom is vindicated[h] by her deeds.”[i]
20 Then He proceeded to denounce the towns where most of His miracles were done, because they did not repent: 21 “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the miracles that were done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented in sackcloth and ashes long ago! 22 But I tell you, it will be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for you. 23 And you, Capernaum, will you be exalted to heaven? You will go down to Hades. For if the miracles that were done in you had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until today. 24 But I tell you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom on the day of judgment than for you.”"

Jesus was speaking of John the Baptist. After all that John did to come and prepare the way for the Son of Man, they said one thing. When the one being announced and prepared for came, in the face of all that had been done to prepare, they still rejected.

Consider Sodom and Gomorrah. Jesus is saying that if everything John and Jesus had done had been done in Sodom and Gomorrah, if they had been given any grace at all, they would have repented. If God knew this, why didn't God do that? Why did He only send the angels to Sodom and Gomorrah to get Lot out, and then burn the city? Even Abraham tried to change their situation, questioning God about righteous people in the city. In the end, scripture actually meticulously records this one fact... there was not ONE righteous person in the whole city. God never forgot His discussion with Abraham. However, ALL the men, young and all, from ALL corners of the city were at Lot's door.
Jesus was not saying that if He had been sent to them (though the argument could be made that Jesus WAS there, because He is "The Angel of the LORD" mentioned in the Old Testament, the pre-incarnate Christ), He is saying that if the miracles performed in Israel then, had been performed in these cities, if God made the effort, they would have repented. The reason Jesus said it this way was to add weight to His pronounced judgement on those who rejected in the face of actual evidence. God never gave these cities a chance, so it will be more bearable for them in judgement next to those who were given every opportunity by God actually living among them (Jesus). However, it brings to question some of your beliefs, when one considers that God is saying these cities could have been saved, if God revealed Himself to them. (Jesus makes it sound so simple.) However, God did not, and let them pass from this world to hell without giving them what Jesus said would have been an absolute salvation for them. Yet you keep saying that God wills that none perish. Why would a God explained in this way by you, miss any golden opportunity to keep anyone from perishing?

Consider Sodom and Gomorrah. Jesus is saying that if everything John and Jesus had done had been done in Sodom and Gomorrah, if they had been given any grace at all, they would have repented. If God knew this, why didn't God do that?
I told you why in my last post. If you're talking about the signs and wonders it wasn't the time for the Christ to come. THEY DID however have sufficient grace that is to repent.

Jesus was not saying that if He had been sent to them (though the argument could be made that Jesus WAS there, because He is "The Angel of the LORD" mentioned in the Old Testament, the pre-incarnate Christ),
That even mere speculation on just what The angel of the Lord means. You can't substantiate that was Christ himself but even if it was there was still an appointed time that Christ would be validated by signs and wonders. But signs and wonders can't be considered to what you call irresistible grace anyway. If they were the people to whom Jesus performed them would have repented. So if you're going to say they are the deciding factor then you're on Non Calvinists ground for you're taking something which doesn't guarantee one will be saved and you're saying that's the thing that does it.

I might add this too...because Calvinists way of thinking falters on the above quote their entire whole system falls with it as well. If God doesn't ordain somethings then he doesn't ordain some things making the Westminster Confession wrong.

This Rude behavior doesn't work on us...

But it may work on the Lurkers...
Is the truth rude ? The truth can be painful for those living a lie, but I would consider it rude to not tell people the truth. Was Jesus’ truth here rude ? Mat 3:7 - But when he saw many of the Pharisees andSadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them,O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

Remember God delivers from evil and does not cause evil

James 1:13
When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He tempt anyone.

1 Chronicles 4:10
And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested.

Psalm 121:7,8
The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul…

Jeremiah 15:21
And I will deliver thee out of the hand of the wicked, and I will redeem thee out of the hand of the terrible.

hope this helps !!!
(post 1 of 3)

I've read through this at least twice now, and I'll be reading through it a third time as I respond to each point. I've also read a few of the responses on page one. This is not a very difficult post to respond to, so here goes. I'll do my best to be clear, so when I quote from the OP I'll use quote marks and blue font.

"Eternal / Exhaustive Divine Decree"
I don't really have too much problem with this label. "Exhaustive" can refer to the all-encompassing nature of which Ephesians 1:11 speaks. "In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will," (ESV) In light of this verse and many others dealing with more particular instances, Calvinists hold that God's decree, before creation, encompasses all things.

"The story of Sodom and Gomorrah seems to present problems for Calvinism 's (EDD )."
I appreciate the use of the word "seems" here. It demonstrates at least a little caution, rather than the opposite, brash confidence. So I can appreciate the word's use. With regard to problems for Calvinism, that remains to be seen. We will examine each reason given and see if this opening conclusion/thesis is actually true. We can note, in opening, these reasons are going to come from "Sodom and Gomorrah," a more particular focus. The reasoning is simple enough to follow. The EDD encompasses all things, but here is a particular example that seems to present problems. Let's move on.

"1. God determined that Sodom would become so wicked."
Ok, so God's eternal decree encompasses all things, and here is a particular instance where God's decree is applied. It involves their wickedness. However, as of yet, there is no argument that demonstrates why this would be a problem. I see only a basic element of logic applied here. Since the decree is all-encompassing, then it follows that the certain particular elements in history are effected by the decree, and in this case the decree led to the fact that Sodom (and Gomorrah) were wicked. No one denies the wickedness of the two cities; their wickedness is something well-known by almost any student of the Bible. However, I repeat, we don't see here any argument why this particular instance's ordaining is a problem for Calvinism. But there are seven points, so perhaps in a later step we will see an argument made, so maybe something will come in the future, so I will have to hold off on my own personal conclusion at this place in writing.

"2. God determined that their wickedness would include sexual perversion."
So the argument here is to dive down into more particulars. In essence, the magnification level of the microscope is being raised. Point one was about their wickedness, and now point two is delving into greater detail of what this wickedness consists. It consists in "sexual perversion." Once again, we have no argument given as to why this constitutes a problem for Calvinism. We are only receiving the logical ramification of God's decree being over all things. Namely, the particulars are included in the all-encompassing nature of the decree, and this particular deals with "sexual perversion." Five more points remain, so I am awaiting the actual argument that supports the opening conclusion/thesis statement. So let's keep considering the points.

"3. God determined that Lot would offer his daughters to be abused.."
Another particular example is given regarding Lot's terrible attempt to get the people of the city from harming the angels. To redirect their focus from the angels, Lot tragically presents his daughters as fodder for their corrupt desires. However, once again, I see no argument given as to why this presents a problem for Calvinism. No argument is given to support the opening conclusion/thesis statement; only a further elaboration of the depravity of Sodom and Gomorrah's residents. This time Lot was especially focused upon, and his terrible attempt at redirecting the focus of sin.

"4. Even though God brought Lot's wife out of the city, God determined that she would be lost, in spite of having warned her not to look back."
In this point we see a minor factual error. The angels warned her. Certainly, they were God's messengers, and as God's representatives they were speaking in God's place. So I see some truth, but she was directly warned by the angels; and the angels were not God. However, God did indirectly warn her. Because of God's indirect warning, by means of the angels' direct warning, I grant that this is a very minor factual error. So this point is relegated to a semantic issue worthy of only a little concern. It only represents an ambiguity in Christian's wording.

But let's not miss the point by focusing on semantics. Christian is elaborating upon another particular instance of the exhaustive nature of the decree. At this point, it is easy to see how this is a problem with a supplied argument, but as the wording does not lend itself to actually making a clear argument and case. The words, "God determined . . . in spite of having warned her . . ." could be made into an argument, but no argument is actually explicitly given. Does this somehow represent some kind of inconsistency? Sadly, we are not told what exactly the problem is. Because I'm unwilling to put words into Christian's mouth, I'll have to leave off attempting to discern what the argument is. So as of yet, we still do not have an actual argument supporting the opening conclusion/thesis statement. However, we still have points 5, 6, and 7, so maybe Christian is wanting to leave the actual argument for later. Perhaps he is just building particular examples, and then the bomb will get dropped later. That is certainly a technique of inductive argumentation, so let's continue to move through the opening post.

Back