The Eucharist is the New Testament

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, before the testator's death is He not allowed to grace those who would be intended recipients of his legacy? And as I've said before, wills are often made decades before the demise of the testator. Of course there are no legal rights to the legacy until death, and in Christ's case, on that day the entire universe was remade.

JoeT

They are denying Christ's death is required for the New Covenant go into effect.

Please correct them

QUESTION --->Did the New Covenant go into effect at the death of Christ or at the Last Supper?

"That is where the new Covenant was announced, so that is where it is in effect.
- @pilgrim post #31

According to the words of Jesus it sounds like it was in the upper room with his disciples.
- @dingoling. post #84

etc

To imply as you do below, "it did not happen" is to say that to establish the covenant the blood must be offered up that very minute. Christ said of the Cup, "this IS my Blood". Since the same God breathed the cosmos into existance out of nothing I can't see the difficulty of the wine becoming His Blood as He commanded.

The covenant was established the evening of the Last Supper as the Eucharist. I think we can trust Christ for a few hours before actually sealing the covenant.

At the Last Supper, in absolute terms, Christ said, , the chalice of wine is the New Covenant. [Cf. Matthew 26:28; Luke 22:20]. His Blood is the Covenant.

And, before the testator's death is He not allowed to grace those who would be intended recipients of his legacy? And as I've said before, wills are often made decades before the demise of the testator. Of course there are no legal rights to the legacy until death, and in Christ's case, on that day the entire universe was remade.

JoeT
QUESTION --->Did the New Covenant go into effect after the death of Christ or at the Last Supper?

None of the above nonsense negates that there is no testament in effect UNTIL the death of the testator. The NC could not and was not in effect until the cross. There was no bloodshed nor a death at the Last Supper.
None of the above proves that the wine is not his blood of the new covenant.

You posted it already.

Luke 22:19-20, "Then he took a loaf of bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” And he did the same with the cup after supper, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood."

It doesn't say a word about spewing mumbo-jumbo words to turn us into cannibals.
These 2 verses are not explicitly linked to the Passover. Here Jesus asks his disciples to repeat the meal in His personal memory and He says His death is the seal of the new covenant. The orientation is to the past. The similarities to the Pauline tradition of the Lord's Supper in 1 Cor. 11:23-25 are striking.
the OP and @dingoling. and @Alonzo and @pilgrim are NOT discussing when it was "written"
They are claiming it went into effect at the Last Supper:

When did the New Covenant go into effect?
Hebrews 9:15-17
15 Therefore he is the mediator of a new covenant, (diathéké) so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance, since a death has occurred that redeems them from the transgressions committed under the first covenant.
16 For where a will (diathéké) is involved, the death of the one who made it must be established.
17For a will (diathéké) takes effect ONLY at death, since it is not in force as long as the one who made it is alive."

They are denying Christ's death is required for the New Covenant go into effect.

Please correct them
As the Minister of the Sanctuary, Christ is in God's presence, ministering the grace of the sanctuary to us on earth.
As Mediator of the new covenant, Jesus works in our heart on earth giving God's law within us, as the law of the Spirit of His own life, and fitting us for the worship and fellowship of the sanctuary. Christ, as Minister of the sanctuary, opened and entered into it through His own blood, and there ministers the everlasting redemption. God now proceeds to speak of Christ as the Mediator of the new covenant.
And for this cause He is the Mediator of a new covenant that they that have been called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.
The word 'promise' reminds of what was said of the better covenant, enacted upon better promises. But this could not be till a death had taken place for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first covenant.
For where a testament is, there must of necessity be the death of him that made it. For a testament is of force where there hath been death: for doth it ever avail while he that made it liveth?

Jesus lives again as no other maker of a testament ever lives, to put us in full possession of the inheritance, and to be Himself its chiefest measure and joy; as Minister of the true sanctuary to keep us in God's presence; as Mediator of the new covenant to keep our heart in the full enjoyment of all its blessings.

the OP and @dingoling. and @Alonzo and @pilgrim are NOT discussing when it was "written"
They are claiming it went into effect at the Last Supper:

When did the New Covenant go into effect?
Hebrews 9:15-17
15 Therefore he is the mediator of a new covenant, (diathéké) so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance, since a death has occurred that redeems them from the transgressions committed under the first covenant.
16 For where a will (diathéké) is involved, the death of the one who made it must be established.
17For a will (diathéké) takes effect ONLY at death, since it is not in force as long as the one who made it is alive."

Please correct them
In completing the work of redemption there had to be the establishment of a new covenant of which Christ is the mediator - in that O.T. animal sacrifices could not do it.
The expiation of O.T. transgressions - the taking away - there was a covering only in the 1st covenant.
The expectancy of a future inheritance is now made secure - "the ones having been called might receive (aorist) - through the death that has come - the promise of eternal inheritance!"

None of the above nonsense negates that there is no testament in effect UNTIL the death of the testator. The NC could not and was not in effect until the cross. There was no bloodshed nor a death at the Last Supper.
I know, it doesn't fit the Protestant narrative or philosophy.

JoeT

In completing the work of redemption there had to be the establishment of a new covenant of which Christ is the mediator - in that O.T. animal sacrifices could not do it.
The expiation of O.T. transgressions - the taking away - there was a covering only in the 1st covenant.
The expectancy of a future inheritance is now made secure - "the ones having been called might receive (aorist) - through the death that has come - the promise of eternal inheritance!"
The Covenant is not a Book, it's not good vibes, its not magic "I believe" that is the New Covenant, its the Eucharist. “This is the chalice [of my Blood], the new testament in my blood, which shall be shed for you." [Luke 22:20].

Reject this and you reject Christ, despise this truth and you despise Christ and He that sent Him.

JoeT

Please correct them

QUESTION --->Did the New Covenant go into effect at the death of Christ or at the Last Supper?

"That is where the new Covenant was announced, so that is where it is in effect.
- @pilgrim post #31

According to the words of Jesus it sounds like it was in the upper room with his disciples.
- @dingoling. post #84

etc
Funny how many Protestants churches around here will hold their Christmas services on Christmas Eve, the day BEFORE Christmas and not have any problem celebrating the birth of our Lord a day early.

In Jewish reckoning, the Last Supper and the Crucifixion took place on the SAME day.

Enough of the pearl clutching.

Please correct them

- @pilgrim post #31

- @dingoling. post #84

etc
How are they denying Christ's Blood is required to seal the New Covenant?

The Covenant is not a Book, it's not good vibes, its not magic "I believe" that is the New Covenant, its the Eucharist. “This is the chalice [of my Blood], the new testament in my blood, which shall be shed for you." [Luke 22:20].

"This is the covenant I will establish with the people of Israel after that time, declares the Lord. I will put my laws in their minds and write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, 'Know the Lord,' because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest. For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more." By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear. (Heb. 8:10–13)

Nothing about the "Eucharist" there. The New Covenant is about God writing His teachings and commands on the hearts of His people. It is also about eternal non-imputation of sins. Christ was made sin so that we may become the righteousness of God in Him. This was accomplished on the cross and not during the "Eucharist."

Reject this and you reject Christ, despise this truth and you despise Christ and He that sent Him.

JoeT
Yet that is all that the RCC is about its catechism full of false teachings, the good vibes it gets from lying about its victims and the magic of its sacraments and pagan practices. The communion is a memorial of what God has done, not the NC. You believe wrong because you are taught falsely.

Reject the truth which the RCC has done and you reject and despise Jesus and He who sent Him.

"This is the covenant I will establish with the people of Israel after that time, declares the Lord. I will put my laws in their minds and write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, 'Know the Lord,' because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest. For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more." By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear. (Heb. 8:10–13)

Nothing about the "Eucharist" there. The New Covenant is about God writing His teachings and commands on the hearts of His people. It is also about eternal non-imputation of sins. Christ was made sin so that we may become the righteousness of God in Him. This was accomplished on the cross and not during the "Eucharist."
That is the truth.

Funny how many Protestants churches around here will hold their Christmas services on Christmas Eve, the day BEFORE Christmas and not have any problem celebrating the birth of our Lord a day early.

In Jewish reckoning, the Last Supper and the Crucifixion took place on the SAME day.

He didn’t die at the Last Supper

straight to the point:

Is the the death of Jesus required for the New Covenant to go into effect??

You keep following the words of men. You only quote the scripture you think will make your case. But you don't even attempt to apply sound exegesis to it.

At the Last Supper, Jesus took a cup and said, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you” (Luke 22:20). Moments before, the Lord had broken the bread and given it to His disciples with the words, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me” (verse 19). With these symbolic actions Jesus instituted the ordinance of communion, or the Lord’s Table.

The “new covenant” that Jesus spoke of is in contrast to the Old Covenant, the conditional agreement that God had made with the Israelites through Moses. The Old Covenant established laws and ceremonies that separated the Jews from the other nations, defined sin, and showcased God’s provision of forgiveness through sacrifice. The New Covenant was predicted in Jeremiah 31:31–33.

The Old Covenant required blood sacrifices, but it could not provide a final sacrifice for sin. The Old Covenant required repeated, daily sacrifices of animals as a reminder of the people’s sin. But, as Scripture says, “it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins” (Hebrews 10:4). Under the Old Covenant, the same inadequate sacrifices were constantly repeated. For every sin, the process was replicated, day after day, month after month, year after year. The Old Covenant never provided a full, complete sacrifice for sin. “For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion to look for a second” (Hebrews 8:7, ESV).

Jesus came to establish a “better covenant” (Hebrews 7:22), a “new covenant” that Jesus said was in His blood. Jesus shed His blood on the cross to take away the sins of the world (John 1:29) and ratify the new covenant between God and man. On the night He was betrayed, Jesus took the cup and said to His disciples, “Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins” (Matthew 26:27–28). By “this cup,” Jesus referred, by metonymy, to the contents of the cup, which was the “fruit of the vine” (Mark 14:25). This was representative of Christ’s blood. Jesus gave His disciples the cup, infusing it with new meaning, and told them drinking it was to be a memorial of His death: it was to be drunk “in remembrance of me” (1 Corinthians 11:25). Now, “whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes” (verse 26).

The New Covenant is based on faith in the shed blood of Christ to take away sin, not on repeated sacrifices or any other kind of work (see Ephesians 2:8–9). Because Jesus is the holy Lamb of God, His one-time sacrifice is sufficient to atone for the sins of all who believe in Him. We “partake” of Jesus by coming to Him in faith (John 1:12), trusting that His shed blood (and broken body) is sufficient to pay for our sins. The elements of bread and wine commemorate His death and the shedding of His blood. When we eat those elements in communion with other believers, we affirm our faith and fellowship in Christ.

JoeT
The "Covenant" is certainly not one of the Roman Catholic Church's 'reproductions' of a sacrificial meal. Jesus used the bread and the wine that was already on the table to institute a new way of remembering Him, which is still used today. Jesus broke the unleavened bread and shared it with His disciples asking them to think of His body which would soon be broken for them. He also took the wine from the table and asked His followers to think of his blood, which would soon be poured out for their salvation.
Jesus introduced this way for His followers to remember Him and His sacrifice for them. He pointed forward to His death. Early Christians followed His instructions, looking back with love and gratitude to His death.
Jesus' followers continue to remember Him in what is called the Lord's Supper, or Holy Communion today. Jesus asked His followers to remember Him in this way until He returns.

Some believe it was the year of a double passover. Interesting but makes no difference. Jesus did not die at the LS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back