Thinking Of Becoming Catholic

Dant01

Before taking the plunge, there's a few things folks should think about first.

Once they're committed-- completed First Holy Communion and Confirmation --God
will be holding them accountable to comply with everything Rome teaches and
stands for: the Commandments, the Canon Law, the dogma, the rituals, the
Traditions, the Councils, the Bulls, the Encyclicals, the rites, the holy days of
obligation, and the entire Catechism; plus everything that Jesus and the apostles
taught in the New Testament, i.e. the gospels and the epistles.

That's a lot to remember, let alone put into practice.

And then there's the matter of mortal sin. When Catholics leave this life with just
one non-absolved mortal sin on the books, just one, they go straight to Hell. It's a
direct flight; no stopover in a Purgatory. Even if a Catholic managed to be a top
performer in faith and practice for fifty years, none of that will be weighed in the
balance. They will leave this life as if they'd been a pagan the whole time. Mortal
sins are that lethal.

In addition; the Divine judge isn't a political appointee like members of the US
Supreme Court, viz; He isn't biased towards the left or to the right, i.e. the justice
of God is fair across the board, so that affiliation with the Roman church grants no
one a certain amount of special consideration. (Rom 2:6-11, and 1Pet 1:17)
_

Traditions, the Councils, the Bulls, the Encyclicals, the rites, the holy days of
obligation, and the entire Catechism; plus everything that Jesus and the apostles

And then there's the matter of mortal sin. When Catholics leave this life with just
one non-absolved mortal sin on the books, just one, they go straight to Hell. It's a
direct flight; no stopover in a Purgatory. Even if a Catholic managed to be a top
performer in faith and practice for fifty years, none of that will be weighed in the
balance. They will leave this life as if they'd been a pagan the whole time. Mortal
sins are that lethal.

In addition; the Divine judge isn't a political appointee like members of the US
Supreme Court, viz; He isn't biased towards the left or to the right, i.e. the justice
of God is fair across the board, so that affiliation with the Roman church grants no
_
You are just stirring the pot. You are not sincere. You posted the exact same thing last year.

You are just stirring the pot. You are not sincere. You posted the exact same thing last year.

Last year, he wrote that HE was thinking of becoming a Catholic...but this thread is just a generalized "thinking of becoming a Catholic" which is meant for those contemplating doing so, then explaining what all it entails. That is a little different.

Last year, he wrote that HE was thinking of becoming a Catholic...but this thread is just a generalized "thinking of becoming a Catholic" which is meant for those contemplating doing so, then explaining what all it entails. That is a little different.
I don't read it that way. Last years thread was dant01 posing a question just like this one and then proceeding to advise against it for these reasons.

I don't read it that way. Last years thread was dant01 posing a question just like this one and then proceeding to advise against it for these reasons.
That is your opinion. But this year, he said nothing about thinking about joining your church himself. That is all I was pointing out.

This isn't difficult at all. And no one expects those who become Catholic to have PhD's in Catholic theology. They just have to know the basics of the Faith.

I grew up Protestant and Catholic. Being Catholic is no harder than being Protestant. For those who become Catholic, they just have to know and believe the basics of the Faith.
one non-absolved mortal sin on the books, just one, they go straight to Hell.
How can one go to heaven--when one has turned their back on Christ and did not repent? Is there some way a person can go to heaven without repenting of sin, seeking forgiveness and turning toward Christ?
It's a direct flight; no stopover in a Purgatory. Even if a Catholic managed to be a top
balance.
Do our works save or not? You seem here to suggest they are supposed to mean something--when one has completely turned their back on Christ and did not repent.
They will leave this life as if they'd been a pagan the whole time. Mortal sins are that lethal.
Again, do works save or not? How can one go to heaven when they have sinned, completely turned their back on Christ and refused to repent?
_
On this we agree. I would also add--that office in the Church will mean nothing on Judgement Day either. When the pope dies, the papacy won't save him.

No kidding. I might be an evil, secularist, liberal, no good Vatican II, Pope Francis Catholic, but I am not stupid.

If you think I post on here for the benefit of the Protestant fundamentalists, I don't. I post for the benefit of other RCC's who might stumble upon this website.
The other question is, why would you even care if he converted to your religion or not? Your apostate "pope" certainly wouldn't approve of your proselytism. To him it doesn't matter what religion you follow, or even if you follow any religion at all.

Last edited:

True believers turn aside from these Pharisee type ways that Rome has chosen and they choose rather to walk as Jesus walked, Jesus who rejected such ways. They persecuted and killed him for it.

They will all be taught by God. John 6:45

when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth John 16:13

As for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you but as His anointing teaches you all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him.
1 John 2:27

For to us God revealed through the Spirit for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God. 11 For who among men knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the things of God no one knows except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit that is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God, 13 which things we also speak, not in teachings of words of human wisdom but in teachings of the Spirit, spiritual ones discerning spiritual things. 14 But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.
1 Corinthians 2

Paul himself, in this selfsame chapter, referred to his own words as human wisdom and instructed the Corinthians that their faith should not rest on his words and that human wisdom about Christ but in God's wisdom which is Christ himself, a person. The natural man cannot comprehend what he is even talking about nor do they even know the difference between the two.

False prophets teach men to be taught by them and to follow them. Paul instructed men that this is folly and men should not rest on his wisdom or his teachings but upon the wisdom of God - to be taught by God Himself by His Spirit. The natural man simply cannot comprehend this because he does not have the Spirit of God.

False: Those who are led by Rome, these are the sons of God.
True: Those who are led by the Spirit of God, these are the sons of God. Romans 8:14

You are slaves of the one you obey. No one can have two masters or he will love the one and hate the other. Who is your master? Earthly men or the Risen Christ?

Last edited:
Back