Were there any Calvinists before Calvin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the word of God to rebuke Arminian false doctrine.
The word of God should be used to rebuke false doctrine,
Which false doctrine of Arminianism are you rebuking.

Here are some false doctrines.
Infant baptism
Lost salvation
That God predestined all evils and lies
Works of any kind for salvation
Denying the deity of Christ
That God double predestinated people to heaven or hell
evolution
billions of years
LBGTQ
abortion

The word of God should be used to rebuke false doctrine,
Which false doctrine of Arminianism are you rebuking.

Here are some false doctrines.
Infant baptism
Lost salvation
That God predestined all evils and lies
Works of any kind for salvation
Denying the deity of Christ
That God double predestinated people to heaven or hell
evolution
billions of years
LBGTQ
abortion
Perhaps we can start with evolution.....which is a view that is believed by some Arminians as well as Calvinist.
Both affirm the deity of Christ.
The Arminians say one can lose their salvation while the Calvinist say you can't.

Should I do the whole list?

I think we all think we've got everything right, or else we wouldn't believe what we do. Like, if I thought I was wrong about X, and that Y was actually correct, then I'd ditch X and adopt Y as my belief. And then I'd be back to thinking I was right.

I don't think I've got everything right
Infact, I'd be shocked if that ended up being the case
And you seem to be self-aware enough that you don't think you have everything right.

But that is NOT the same thing as saying we don't sincerely believe every doctrine that we hold. Obviously if I knew where I was wrong (and was convinced of it), then I'd jettison those wrong beliefs and exchange them for the truth. But the problem is that in my fallible understanding I DON'T know what I've got wrong.

There are a couple of posters here (although I can't mention them by name) who seem certain that they've got everything correct.

And I'm pretty confident that I've got some stuff wrong. I just don't know what it is!

Exactly!
Same here.

So does the Catholic church.

Your attempt to engage in the logical fallacy of "guilt by assocation" is doomed to failure, as Reformation theology was in opposition to Catholic theology, even in Augustine's day.

But of course, since you are ignorant of the writings of Augustine, you would have no way of knowing that, would you?

"For the Reformation, inwardly considered, was just the ultimate triumph of Augustine's doctrine of grace over Augustine's doctrine of the Church.”​
-- B.B. Warfield

I would highly recommend to you Augustine's anti-Pelagian writings, especially his "Treatise on the Predestination of the Saints".

Your attempt to engage in the logical fallacy of "guilt by assocation" is doomed to failure, as Reformation theology was in opposition to Catholic theology, even in Augustine's day.

But of course, since you are ignorant of the writings of Augustine, you would have no way of knowing that, would you?

"For the Reformation, inwardly considered, was just the ultimate triumph of Augustine's doctrine of grace over Augustine's doctrine of the Church.”​
-- B.B. Warfield

I would highly recommend to you Augustine's anti-Pelagian writings, especially his "Treatise on the Predestination of the Saints".

LOL can you dispute my claim?

No you can't can you

"For the Reformation, inwardly considered, was just the ultimate triumph of Augustine's doctrine of grace over Augustine's doctrine of the Church.
-- B.B. Warfield
There is a reason Augustine is seen as the father of the Catholic church
and you just supported my claim

-- B.B. Warfield

Repeating your support for my claim.

Thanks

All i noted was the Catholic church is indebted to Augustine and you helped prove it.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back