What is a woman? Part II

How can a person know what it "feels like" to be of one gender or the other? If we feel like our gender naturally internally, without any outside influence, then gender is innate, akin to one's biological sex. That is, what it "feels like" to be a woman is something that is hard-wired into them, like biological sex is. And thus, gender would not be a "social construct" at all, except insofar as society's gender expectations and norms would be the normal outflow of these internal, innate, hard-wired gender feelings. But then it's not REALLY a social construct per se; it would just be like how you jerk your hand back from a hot stove...it would be a reaction to your hard wiring, so the "construct" would be done innately and internally, not because society "makes it so".

But if we feel our gender due to society's gender expectations and norms - i.e., the "social construct idea" - then how can a person "feel" like a woman, apart from what society (or family or whomever is influencing you) says a woman *is* or *is like*?

I think the overwhelming evidence from the scope of human history, throughout all time and every civilization, is that our feelings about gender are tied to our sexual biology. I "feel" like a man because I'm male, and my wife "feels" like a woman because she's a female. Our gender is tied directly to our biological sex. This is why every civilization that's ever existed in human history has applied gender terminology to biological sex categories: thus, it's always been understood that only females can be mothers, and only males can be brothers, etc. And this is why society has gender norms and expectations.

And so for those people who exist whose feelings about their gender don't match their biological sex, it's a real problem, which is why their is such internal conflict in these people, why there is so much anxiety and confusion, and why their suicide rate is so astronomically high. It's exacerbated by the way society mistreats such people, no doubt, but that's not the root cause. It is, in the end, a mental disorder, where their mental state (their "feelings" and perceptions about themselves) conflict with objective reality, and that's why this is so painful and difficult for so many of them. (there are varying degrees of this of course; not everyone is affected equally)

No other explanation of this makes ANY sense whatsoever. Every other explanation is filled with logical inconsistencies, unscientific nonsense, and the butchering of language to fit an ideology.

How can a person know what it "feels like" to be of one gender or the other? If we feel like our gender naturally internally, without any outside influence, then gender is innate, akin to one's biological sex. That is, what it "feels like" to be a woman is something that is hard-wired into them, like biological sex is. And thus, gender would not be a "social construct" at all, except insofar as society's gender expectations and norms would be the normal outflow of these internal, innate, hard-wired gender feelings. But then it's not REALLY a social construct per se; it would just be like how you jerk your hand back from a hot stove...it would be a reaction to your hard wiring, so the "construct" would be done innately and internally, not because society "makes it so".

But if we feel our gender due to society's gender expectations and norms - i.e., the "social construct idea" - then how can a person "feel" like a woman, apart from what society (or family or whomever is influencing you) says a woman *is* or *is like*?

I think the overwhelming evidence from the scope of human history, throughout all time and every civilization, is that our feelings about gender are tied to our sexual biology. I "feel" like a man because I'm male, and my wife "feels" like a woman because she's a female. Our gender is tied directly to our biological sex. This is why every civilization that's ever existed in human history has applied gender terminology to biological sex categories: thus, it's always been understood that only females can be mothers, and only males can be brothers, etc. And this is why society has gender norms and expectations.

And so for those people who exist whose feelings about their gender don't match their biological sex, it's a real problem, which is why their is such internal conflict in these people, why there is so much anxiety and confusion, and why their suicide rate is so astronomically high. It's exacerbated by the way society mistreats such people, no doubt, but that's not the root cause. It is, in the end, a mental disorder, where their mental state (their "feelings" and perceptions about themselves) conflict with objective reality, and that's why this is so painful and difficult for so many of them. (there are varying degrees of this of course; not everyone is affected equally)

No other explanation of this makes ANY sense whatsoever. Every other explanation is filled with logical inconsistencies, unscientific nonsense, and the butchering of language to fit an ideology.
Have to agree with this.

A man that wants to live "as a woman"... in what way?

Dress like a woman? Why aren't you just a male transvestite?
Attraction to men? Why aren't you just a gay man?
Hang around with women? Why can't any man do that?

What traits of womanhood are biologically possible, but cannot be exhibited by a man?

As a reminder the question from the first thread was:

Do you think someone with XY chromosomes and a penis who presents as a woman is actually a woman?

This has been difficult for people to answer

Correction: Is someone who is physically A MAN, but is Mentally ILL, and PRETENDS TO BE A WOMAN, is actually a "woman"?

SO- No Difficulty at all!!!

Reactions: BMS
Have to agree with this.

A man that wants to live "as a woman"... in what way?

Dress like a woman? Why aren't you just a male transvestite?
Attraction to men? Why aren't you just a gay man?
Hang around with women? Why can't any man do that?

What traits of womanhood are biologically possible, but cannot be exhibited by a man?
Nwrt

Back