What is the Gospel of Jesus Christ?

What is the LDS definition of God's grace?
Grace. God’s enabling power that is provided to all humans through the work of Jesus and His Atonement. Because of this, everyone receives an inheritance to a Kingdom of Glory.

As twelfth President Spencer W. Kimball said, “One of the most fallacious doctrines originated by Satan and propounded by man is that man is saved alone by the grace of God; that belief in Jesus Christ alone is all that is needed for salvation” (Spencer W. Kimball, The Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 206. See also The Book of Mormon Student Manual Religion 121 and 122, 1989, p. 36). Apostle Bruce R. McConkie explained, “The blood of Christ was shed as a free gift of wondrous grace, but the Saints are cleansed by the blood after they keep the commandments” (Sermons and Writings of Bruce R. McConkie, p. 77).

For a look at 2 Nephi 25:23, which says a person is “saved by grace after all you can do,” see here.

Are you the same CharismaticLady from Christian Forums and the Christianity Board?

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Are you claiming that really isn't true?
It is true, but not in the way the person understood it. He was a Jew. All he ever learned was rituals.

1John 3:23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.

1 John 5:5 Who is it that overcomes the world? Only the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.

You can obey all the commandments in the world, but it you miss the one in 1 John 3:23, you will not be saved.

Obey the one command to believe in Jesus and you have overcome the world.

Acts 16:29 The jailer called for lights, rushed in and fell trembling before Paul and Silas. 30 He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31 They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.”

Nothing was told to the Jailer about following any commands.

Yes they do. The LDS preach eternal life comes to man by God's grace.

That grace comes through faith in Jesus Christ. A faith with works.
Yes, the Reformed believe that "faith" is not just one thing.
"Belief" = seems to be understanding the message
"Assent" = expresses agreement or acceptance
"Trust" = confidence or reliance

"Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you - unless you believed in vain" (1 Corinthians 15:1-2).

Paul above seems to be talking about a dead or "vain" faith.

In James 2, he talks about faith without works: Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless?

The LDS preach salvation through faith AND WORKS,

That is correct--His grace unto life-- to them which obey Him. That has grace as the agent which saves--and the obedient to Jesus Christ--as the ones who receive that grace.

1 John 1:7---King James Version
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

Are you claiming God gives His grace unto eternal life--through a faith without works?

IOW--it's a faith which is dead---one is saved through?

The scriptures testify against that theology:

James 2:20-26---King James Version
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

which is not in agreement with Ephesians 2:8,9. And if by grace, then it is no longer of works; otherwise grace is no longer grace.

Yes--one is saved by God's grace. That does not touch the problem of who God gives that grace to.

Again--are you claiming that saving grace goes to them with a faith which is dead--or a faith with works?

Revelation 22:14---King James Version
14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

How does any of that violate Ephesians2?

We are saved by faith ....

In the LDS church--we believe we are saved by God's grace. Where in Ephesians2 does it state we are saved by faith?

apart from the merit of works (Romans 4:5-6) yet authentic faith does not remain alone from the presence of works. (James 2:14-24)

Then either an "authentic faith" is a faith without works--or it doesn't take "authentic faith" to be saved in faith alone theology--because all works are excluded in obtaining eternal life in faith alone theology.

Enduring to the end is proof of genuine conversion.

And linked to being saved:

Matthew 10:22--King James Version
22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

Certain people do not see this as a reference to eternal salvation from sin, but rather the deliverance of survivors at the end of the tribulation where the Deliver will save the nation Israel from its persecutors. Many will not endure to the end in that they will be martyred for their faith.

If they are martyred because of their faith--then they endured to the end, IMO.

I don't find that any different than other testimonies:

Hebrews 12:15--King James Version
15 Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;

These are common verses cited by those who teach salvation by faith AND WORKS. The good deeds of the redeemed (those who have done good) are not the basis or means by which they obtained salvation, but the evidence of it. A person's conduct, whether good or evil, reveals the condition of their heart.

Claiming the works are the condition of their heart does not eclipse the fact they were judged according to their works(condition of their heart)--call it whatever one may:

John 5:28-29---King James Version
28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

How is that any different than other testimonies?

John 5:28-29----King James Version (KJV)
28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

2 Corinthians 5:10---King James Version (KJV)

10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

1 Peter 1:16-17---King James Version (KJV)

16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
17 And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:

Romans 2:5-11----King James Version (KJV)
5 But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;
6 Who will render to every man according to his deeds:
7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,
9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;
10 But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:
11 For there is no respect of persons with God.

Matthew 16:27---King James Version

27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

Doing good flows inescapably from a heart that is saved and doing evil flows equally inescapably from a heart that is unsaved as we also see in Romans 2:6-10.

I agree. How are you claiming that annuls the testimony God gives His grace to them which obey Him?

Acts 10:34-35---King James Version
34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

Notice that ALL who come forth unto the resurrection of life (believers - vs. 24) are described as those who have done good and ALL that come forth unto the resurrection of damnation (unbelievers) are described as those who have done evil.

For me--that spells out the two are fashioned together in a hard connect. If it is exclusively that pattern, without any exceptions--then faith and works are connected in obtaining life.

What did Jesus say in John 3:18? - He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already..
Are believers described as "those who have done good" or those who have done evil?"
Are unbelievers described as those "who have done evil" or "those who have done good?"

That still leaves works as the dividing factor in receiving His grace unto life ---or damnation.

We are saved by grace through faith,

When you use the term "faith" there--is that a reference to a faith with works--or a faith without works?

The LDS write a blank check with the word "obey" from Hebrews 5:9 then fill in whatever amount of works they feel are necessary to receive eternal life. The end result is salvation by works.

The fact is--that is just a diversion, IMO---and the reason being--if one were to fill that blank in with a single work--then it would violate the theology you push here.

It isn't a matter quantity--but rather--of any amount of works added to faith--even a single one--in your theology.

What the faith alone claim here is a faith without works in obtaining eternal life.

IOW--what the Biblical text labels a faith which is dead--the faith alone claim is saving faith.

The testimony of the Biblical witness stands in stark contrast to faith alone theology:

Matthew 7:19-21---King James Version
19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

The LDS can show works and His grace--as being linked to one another. You don't dare, but rather--kick against the pricks when they are posted.

I've heard many works salvationists use this verse to try and support salvation by works. *Only believers have obeyed Him by choosing to believe the gospel (Romans 1:16) in order to become saved, and only believers obey Him after they have been saved through faith by practicing righteousness and not sin. (1 John 3:9,10). In either sense, only believers obey Him.

Although I won't argue with that point---there does arise a problem with calling that shot--in your theology:

Romans 6:22---King James Version
22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

Hebrews 10:36---King James Version

36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

Unbelievers have not obeyed Him by refusing to believe the gospel (Romans 10:16) and without faith its impossible to please God (Hebrews 11:6), so unbelievers do not obey Him no matter how much "so called" obedience that they attempt to conjure up through the flesh in a vain effort to receive salvation by works. So in either sense, unbelievers do not obey Him.

And they don't receive of God's grace unto life--as those who do believe receive of:

1 Timothy 4:16---King James Version
16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

More LDS eisegesis that culminates in salvation by works. The NASB reads - But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life. (Romans 6:22) To be sanctified is to be "set apart/made holy." Those who are justified have also been sanctified. (1 Corinthians 6:11) In Romans 6:18, we read - "You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness." Being slaves of sin is put in the past tense.

How does that somehow break the bond between fruit ---"and the end everlasting life."?

22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

How does that differ from other Biblical testimonies?

James 1:11-12---King James Version
11 For the sun is no sooner risen with a burning heat, but it withereth the grass, and the flower thereof falleth, and the grace of the fashion of it perisheth: so also shall the rich man fade away in his ways.
12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

That's anathema to the theology pushed here by the critics, IMO. Your post above does nothing to suppress that truth. In fact--I'm not sure how you even believe it's evidence of the point you wish to make.

Well--thanks for your reply. I've cut it up so we might divide the discussion up in different parts. It was just too long.

Grace. God’s enabling power that is provided to all humans through the work of Jesus and His Atonement. Because of this, everyone receives an inheritance to a Kingdom of Glory.

As twelfth President Spencer W. Kimball said, “One of the most fallacious doctrines originated by Satan and propounded by man is that man is saved alone by the grace of God; that belief in Jesus Christ alone is all that is needed for salvation” (Spencer W. Kimball, The Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 206. See also The Book of Mormon Student Manual Religion 121 and 122, 1989, p. 36). Apostle Bruce R. McConkie explained, “The blood of Christ was shed as a free gift of wondrous grace, but the Saints are cleansed by the blood after they keep the commandments” (Sermons and Writings of Bruce R. McConkie, p. 77).

For a look at 2 Nephi 25:23, which says a person is “saved by grace after all you can do,” see here.

Are you the same CharismaticLady from Christian Forums and the Christianity Board?

Yes, I'm she. Do you have a different name on those? MMDAN? Are you Mailmandan? I didn't know you were Morman?

I like the definition of "enabling power." That is correct.

Last edited:
It is true, but not in the way the person understood it. He was a Jew. All he ever learned was rituals.

1John 3:23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.

1 John 5:5 Who is it that overcomes the world? Only the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.

You can obey all the commandments in the world, but it you miss the one in 1 John 3:23, you will not be saved.

Hi Boco. I don't believe it's possible to obey the commandments--and miss 1John3:23. They are inclusive of one another.

Obey the one command to believe in Jesus and you have overcome the world.

That reminds me of this story:

John: Ted, I have a house for sale now.
Ted: That's great--I need a house now. How much?
John: 100K--but it needs a new roof.
Ted: Waith a minute--you said a house--you didn't say anything about a roof!

So--what is your evidence obeying the commandments isn't integral to belief in Christ?

IOW--is keeping the commandments integral to loving God?

John 14:21--King James Version
21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Acts 16:29 The jailer called for lights, rushed in and fell trembling before Paul and Silas. 30 He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31 They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.”

Nothing was told to the Jailer about following any commands.

What is your evidence the jailer was told nothing concerning keeping the commandments?

Acts 16:33-34---King James Version
33 And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.
34 And when he had brought them into his house, he set meat before them, and rejoiced, believing in God with all his house.

Where did they tell the jailer anything about baptism?

It was after the baptism--that he was declared-- "believing in God"? Is water baptism also integral to believing in God?

What is your evidence "believing in God" does not include keeping the commandments? Is connected to God's grace?

Acts 22:16---King James Version
16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord

Wasn't Paul also a new convert there?

So--what is your evidence obeying the commandments isn't integral to belief in Christ?
Did you get that implication from what I said? I believe we are to obey his commandments.
What is your evidence the jailer was told nothing concerning keeping the commandments?
I just went with what the passage said, and did not infer anything else.
It was after the baptism--that he was declared-- "believing in God"? Is water baptism also integral to believing in God?
Only if being baptized is possible. Will a person who believes and is going to get baptized but falls and breaks his neck and dies going "down to the river" going to go to Hell?
Wasn't Paul also a new convert there?
Everybody saved in the NT period was a new convert. Either converted from Judaism or converted from paganism.

Only if being baptized is possible. Will a person who believes and is going to get baptized but falls and breaks his neck and dies going "down to the river" going to go to Hell?

Boco--thank for your reply.

I would like to address this point. You are aware the LDS believe in Temple work for those who never had a chance to hear the gospel or afforded opportunities to be baptized--and have passed on without that opportunity?

The LDS do not believe all chances end here, but that all will be afforded the opportunity to inherit eternal life--either in this life--or the next.

The LDS do not believe God's arm is shortened because of death.

The LDS does not believe that we are saved by grace through faith, not works. (Ephesians 2:8,9)

Instead, the LDS believes that we are saved by grace, after all WE can DO.. (2 Nephi 25:23) Salvation by works, which is opposed to grace. (Romans 11:6)

Only genuine believers obey Him whether unto salvation or after salvation. Hebrews 5:9 is often misinterpreted by works-salvationists.
Good point mmdan

I agree. How are you claiming that annuls the testimony God gives His grace to them which obey Him?

34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.
In regards to Acts 10:34-35, working righteousness is the result of an already established faith. We are not saved by works of righteousness which we have done.. (Titus 3:5), but works of righteousness in connection with salvation are the fruit of, not the means of salvation. Works-salvationists have it backwards and typically confuse 'descriptive' passages of scripture with 'prescriptive' passages of scripture. This verse gives a description of a saved believer, not a prerequisite for salvation. Those who work righteousness do so as the result of already having been saved through faith. (Ephesians 2:8-10)

For me--that spells out the two are fashioned together in a hard connect. If it is exclusively that pattern, without any exceptions--then faith and works are connected in obtaining life.
Faith is the root of salvation and works are the fruit. No fruit at all would demonstrate there is no root. Where you error is you basically believe that both faith and works are the root of salvation and that we are saved by both faith and works.

That still leaves works as the dividing factor in receiving His grace unto life ---or damnation.
Works are the fruit, by product and demonstrative evidence of saving faith in Christ, but not the essence of faith and also not the basis or means by which we receive eternal life. We have access by faith into grace.. (Romans 5:2) and not faith and works.

When you use the term "faith" there--is that a reference to a faith with works--or a faith without works?
Man is saved through faith and not by works (Ephesians 2:8,9; Romans 4:5-6; Titus 3:5; 2 Timothy 1:9); yet genuine faith is substantiated, evidenced by works. (James 2:14-24)

Christ saves us through faith based on the merits of His finished work of redemption "alone" and not based on the merits of our works.

It is through faith "in Christ alone" (and not based on the merits of our works) that we are justified on account of Christ (Romans 3:24; 5:1; 5:9); yet the faith that justifies does not remain alone (unfruitful, barren) if it is genuine. (James 2:14-24) *Perfect Harmony*

19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
In context, Jesus is talking about false prophets. (Matthew 7:15-21) In verse 17, we see the distinction between genuine believers and false believers - every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. In verse 21, what is the will of the Father to enter the kingdom of heaven that false believers have failed to do? *John 6:40 - For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.

The LDS can show works and His grace--as being linked to one another. You don't dare, but rather--kick against the pricks when they are posted.
How are works and grace linked together in Romans 11:6 and Ephesians 2:8,9? Who is kicking against the pricks? The LDS.

Although I won't argue with that point---there does arise a problem with calling that shot--in your theology:

Hebrews 10:36---King James Version

36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.
I only see a problem with your theology. The Amplified Bible helps clear up your misinterpretation of Romans 6:22, which culminates in salvation by works. Romans 6:22 - But now since you have been set free from sin and have become [willing] slaves to God, you have your benefit, resulting in sanctification [being made holy and set apart for God’s purpose], and the outcome [of this] is eternal life.

In regards to Hebrews 10:36, salvation by works is not the will of God. Hebrews 10:38 - Now the just shall live by faith; But if anyone draws back, My soul has no pleasure in him.” 39 But we are not of those who draw back to perdition, but of those who believe to the saving of the soul.

And they don't receive of God's grace unto life--as those who do believe receive of:

1 Timothy 4:16---King James Version
16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.
In regards to 1 Timothy 4:16, we are not passive in perservering in our faith, but it's not in our own power that we perservere. God alone saves, but "in a sense" we save ourselves and others through perserverance in sound doctrine, as we continue to believe the gospel and are used as God's instruments to bring about the salvation of others through preaching the gospel to them as well.

If you fell into a well with no way out and someone threw down and rope and pulled you out, "in a sense" you can say that you "saved yourself" by choosing to grab and hold onto the rope until that person pulled you out, but ultimately, the person who pulled you out of the well saved you and ultimately, it is Jesus Christ who saves us.

How does that somehow break the bond between fruit ---"and the end everlasting life."?
Fruit is the evidence of faith, yet we are still saved through faith and not by works. (Ephesians 2:8,9)

I already covered this.

James 1:11-12---King James Version
11 For the sun is no sooner risen with a burning heat, but it withereth the grass, and the flower thereof falleth, and the grace of the fashion of it perisheth: so also shall the rich man fade away in his ways.
12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.
How many crowns are mentioned in scripture and who is it that endures temptation? The saved or the lost? More descriptive language.

That's anathema to the theology pushed here by the critics, IMO. Your post above does nothing to suppress that truth. In fact--I'm not sure how you even believe it's evidence of the point you wish to make.

Well--thanks for your reply. I've cut it up so we might divide the discussion up in different parts. It was just too long.
You appear to be throroughly indoctrinated into Mormonism. I have serious doubts that we will come to an agreement.

The LDS do not believe all chances end here, but that all will be afforded the opportunity to inherit eternal life--either in this life--or the next.
I didn't know this was the LDS forum. This is under the Theology forum, not what you believe forum.

Heb 9:27 And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment,

In regards to Acts 10:34-35, working righteousness is the result of an already established faith.

Whatever one believes it is the result of--the scriptures connect "working righteousness" with being accepted with Him:

That defies faith alone theology. They preach one is saved through a faith--- excluding all works. IOW--what the Biblical text testifies to as a faith which is dead--the faith alone claim is saving faith.

We are not saved by works of righteousness which we have done.. (Titus 3:5), but works of righteousness in connection with salvation are the fruit of, not the means of salvation. Works-salvationists have it backwards and typically confuse 'descriptive' passages of scripture with 'prescriptive' passages of scripture. This verse gives a description of a saved believer, not a prerequisite for salvation. Those who work righteousness do so as the result of already having been saved through faith. (Ephesians 2:8-10)

The testimony of the Savior connects fruit with the kingdom of heaven:

Faith is the root of salvation and works are the fruit. No fruit at all would demonstrate there is no root.

Yet--faith alone theology excludes all works in obtaining salvation. How do you explain that? One is saved through something with no root?

Works are the fruit, by product and demonstrative evidence of saving faith in Christ, but not the essence of faith and also not the basis or means by which we receive eternal life. We have access by faith into grace.. (Romans 5:2) and not faith and works.

IOW--what the Biblical record terms a faith which is dead--you claim is a "saving faith", IE--a faith without works?

James 2:20-26---King James Version
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Man is saved through faith and not by works (Ephesians 2:8,9; Romans 4:5-6; Titus 3:5; 2 Timothy 1:9); yet genuine faith is substantiated, evidenced by works. (James 2:14-24)

Christ saves us through faith based on the merits of His finished work of redemption "alone" and not based on the merits of our works.

It is through faith "in Christ alone" (and not based on the merits of our works) that we are justified on account of Christ (Romans 3:24; 5:1; 5:9); yet the faith that justifies does not remain alone (unfruitful, barren) if it is genuine. (James 2:14-24) *Perfect Harmony*

No one is arguing one is saved on account of Christ--and His grace. That is a great and eternal truth.

The question is--who does God extend His grace to?

Hebrews 5:9---King James Version
9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

If that is true--then faith alone theology is false--at once.

In context, Jesus is talking about false prophets. (Matthew 7:15-21)

Jesus references "Every tree"--not just a single set of trees:

That connects works and the kingdom of heaven.

In verse 17, we see the distinction between genuine believers and false believers - every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. In verse 21, what is the will of the Father to enter the kingdom of heaven that false believers have failed to do?

That only connects works with "genuine believers" and "false believers".

*John 6:40 - For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.

How are works and grace linked together in Romans 11:6 and Ephesians 2:8,9? Who is kicking against the pricks? The LDS.

Didn't you just post the connection between works and ""genuine believers" and "false believers"?

MMDAN said----In verse 17, we see the distinction between genuine believers and false believers - every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. In verse 21, what is the will of the Father to enter the kingdom of heaven that false believers have failed to do?

I only see a problem with your theology. The Amplified Bible helps clear up your misinterpretation of Romans 6:22, which culminates in salvation by works.

So--you see this as salvation by works?

Romans 6:22 - But now since you have been set free from sin and have become [willing] slaves to God, you have your benefit, resulting in sanctification [being made holy and set apart for God’s purpose], and the outcome [of this] is eternal life.

In regards to Hebrews 10:36, salvation by works is not the will of God.

LOL! I suppose you will have to show where anyone has claimed that. Is this an example?

Hebrews 10:26-29---King James Version
26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace.

Back