Salvation and Obedience: Can you have one without the other?

Not just preachers save us from pitfalls, but people like you do to. God speaks through us to each other. You have insights that I don't and I might have some that you don't. Together we learn in humbleness before God.
Well God Bless you, first time for me to be given some credence and, I have been saying the same things all along here at CARM. It is no " my doing " per se, but the Good Lord above! But yes again, I have had some Likes from great people in the past, I must say that to be honest!
I was taught to take the Scriptures as Gods Love Letter to all mankind and to TRULY Believe His Word as is.
Why I see here and even hear some people ask, " what is your TAKE, " on such and such a passage/verse or chapter, ? What does that even mean ?

Not just preachers save us from pitfalls, but people like you do to. God speaks through us to each other. You have insights that I don't and I might have some that you don't. Together we learn in humbleness before God.
Me ? well I do not think about me like that, but I only use Scripture/s to try to help others see the " light "( myself also ) IF, they may be a bit left or right of the Center of the middle of the road, so to speak. However, I come under that banner at times also, we are ALL only human!
The scripture that has become a cliche is, " the wages of sin is death ", this is very serious indeed. Well, we all know what happened to Adam and his woman. Why did God have to test Adam ? Think ABOUT it ? God Bless ya all.

I simply take it as that which comes out of you is what is in you. “You” being generic.
Yes, I agree.

My point is that no one is all-good or all-evil. It is possible for an unsaved person to do good, but not salvifically. A moral act done in the flesh has not merit when it comes to obtaining salvation. Similar dynamics exist after conversion. We are saved for the purpose of doing good works that God has planned for us to perform prior to our salvation (Eph. 2:10). If we do not do those works then we're not being obedient to God. Nor are we fulfilling the purpose of our salvation. Lots of examples of both conditions in scripture.

Yes, I agree.

My point is that no one is all-good or all-evil. It is possible for an unsaved person to do good, but not salvifically. A moral act done in the flesh has not merit when it comes to obtaining salvation. Similar dynamics exist after conversion. We are saved for the purpose of doing good works that God has planned for us to perform prior to our salvation (Eph. 2:10). If we do not do those works then we're not being obedient to God. Nor are we fulfilling the purpose of our salvation. Lots of examples of both conditions in scripture.
Thank God! As Paul declares there is no good thing in me. (That is in his flesh.) The only good thing in me is Christ all the rest is dross.

Hey Josheb, this is a very interesting point. Wouldn't this mean that under the idea of "you judge a tree by its fruit," then a tree that produces good fruit would be accurately judged a good tree because it was capable of good fruit, even if not all the fruit is always good? In other words, does a good tree need to be perfect (never have bad fruit) in order to be judged to be a good tree?
It would seem so, wouldn't it?

But the answers lie in the fact of Mark 10:18's statement no one is good except God alone ?! How then can Jesus speak of a person being good if he already knows no one is good. None of his audiences were ever good. None of them ever possessed a single good person in any of them ☹️ if Mark 10:18 is taken literally. However, if Mark 10:18 is taken literally then not even Jesus is good ?. So, as with the aforementioned Matthew 12 and Luke 6 texts, there is a degree of hyperbole being employed by Jesus.

Next, I think it important to understand good-ness in terms of everyday or ordinary living versus that of salvation. This op occurs in the Bible Questions board and not in the Arminianism and Calvinism board so I'd like all the lurkers NOT to hijack and sabotage this op and this thread merely because of what I am about to post, but when it comes to salvation the historic orthodox position in Christianity is that unregenerate sinners are capable of doing good but no good work performed in the sinful state has any merit when it comes to salvation. That is a very important point to understand when discussing whether or not salvation and obedience are always and everywhere solely overlapping and never exclusive of one another.

Lastly, I'd like to note the subtle distinction between "good" and "perfect," along with the fact the English word "perfect" in our Bibles has two different meanings in the Greek. The first time we read the use of the word "good" in the Bible is during the creation account. Everything God made was good. Even Adam and Eve were said to be good. They were the first and the last people to contradict the just mentioned Mark 10:18. God Himself declared them good. Yet they sinned. It is, therefore, possible for a good person to do not-good. Adam's act of disobedience screwed up things for us all! So egregious were the effects of his disobedience. So, the first point is that it is clearly possible for a good person to disobey God. The reasons for this pertaining to Adam will take up an entire post or two so I'll leave that point as is.

The matter of perfection is something other than goodness; overlapping but not always synonymous. Something perfect is good (not withstanding perfect evil ?) but something good may not be perfect. The two main words used for "perfect" in the Greek are different in meaning. One, "epiteleo," means "mature," and carries with it the connotation of something growing toward a fuller state, like grapes fermenting or maturing into a fine wine. The other term, "teleios," is the term we tend to think of most often. It means an absence of any imperfection. God is absent any imperfection. We are not. It can be confusing because while the latter is denotatively an absence of imperfection it is sometimes used connotatively to mean "mature" of in the process of completion. The point being the scriptures do not always mean an absolute absence of imperfection or defect when the word "perfect" is used. In most cases a deep dive into Greek is not necessary because we intuitively understand we humans are not God. We're minions and He's sovereign ?.

No matter how "good" we may be on this planet we remain capable of further corruption. It is not until we, those who call upon the name of Christ as Lord and Savior, reach the other side of the grave that we obtain incorruptibility.

1 Corinthians 15:51-54 KJV
Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

Most translations use the word "imperishable" but the Greek term means "rot" or decay." On this side of the grave, no matter how "good" we may be, we remain rottable, decayable, perishable, or corruptible. Adam was good and sinless prior to Genesis 3:6, but corruptible. Jesus, and every single person in his Matthew 12:34-37 audience knew it, too.

Oh, the New Testament wow! Got it.. BTW which part ? or All of the NT ?
lol

For those who don't know, "nt" means No Text. It's a device used in some internet forums or message boards where the deletion of a post is not permitted.

lol

For those who don't know, "nt" means No Text. It's a device used in some internet forums or message boards where the deletion of a post is not permitted.
and yet, NT ( Capitals you may note sic! ) also means New Testament, not Old, lol..

17 As he was starting on his way, a man ran up, kneeled down in front of him and asked, "Good rabbi, what should I do to obtain eternal life?"
18 Yeshua said to him, "Why are you calling me good? No one is good except God!
19 You know the mitzvot -- `Don't murder, don't commit adultery, don't steal, don't give false testimony, don't defraud, honor your father and mother, . .'"
20 "Rabbi," he said, "I have kept all these since I was a boy."
21 Yeshua, looking at him, felt love for him and said to him, "You're missing one thing. Go, sell whatever you own, give to the poor, and you will have riches in heaven. Then come, follow me!"
22 Shocked by this word, he went away sad; because he was a wealthy man.

well, this will upset everyone here too right..

You'll have to explain that one to me.
Are you denying that Jesus is God?
He is THE SON of God, GOD, did NOT DIE on a Roman Cross lol

Matt 3: 16 As soon as Yeshua had been immersed, he came up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, he saw the Spirit of God coming down upon him like a dove,
17 and a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; I am well pleased with him."

Matt 17: 4 Kefa said to Yeshua, "It's good that we're here, Lord. I'll put up three shelters if you want -- one for you, one for Moshe and one for Eliyahu."
5 While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them; and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my Son, whom I love, with whom I am well pleased. Listen to him!"
6 When the talmidim heard this, they were so frightened that they fell face down on the ground.

There ya go, read the above for yourself.

17 As he was starting on his way, a man ran up, kneeled down in front of him and asked, "Good rabbi, what should I do to obtain eternal life?"
19 You know the mitzvot -- `Don't murder, don't commit adultery, don't steal, don't give false testimony, don't defraud, honor your father and mother, . .'"
21 Yeshua, looking at him, felt love for him and said to him, "You're missing one thing. Go, sell whatever you own, give to the poor, and you will have riches in heaven. Then come, follow me!"

well, this will upset everyone here too right..
Cen YOU at least explain why, or is this just your supposition ?

Look at the REAL issues ?

23 Yeshua looked around and said to his talmidim, "How hard it is going to be for people with wealth to enter the Kingdom of God!"

That is not the meaning, there is a conversation between Yeshua and this man and as we are ALL ( who are born of woman ) not perfect as God is.. alone is perfect.

lol

I did write NT upper case, ( as opposed to your explanation of " nt ", lower case ( yours ) and meaningless the other is commonly know as New Testament.
LOL< anything for an argument eh ???? yea! Onya!

lol

I did not type nt but NT, why try to explain the difference by not knowing the difference between nt and NT ?

what on earth is there to explain ??????????????? you have been shown the Scriptures ?????? I am NOT above Gods Word, The Scriptures!

My first impulse is to say, "Re-read the post." Re-read it and re-read it as many times as it takes to correctly understand because what I posted does not need any additional explaining. I understand the purported puzzlement: if Jesus is God then Jesus's words can be read to say, "No one is good but God and since I am God, I am therefore good." That is a true statement but that reading of the Mark 10:18 text would exceed the words Jesus had said just before he said no one is good but God and the specified context of that passage, which is not about Jesus' divinity. Yes, Jesus is always and everywhere God the Son,

Mark 10:18
And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone.

Instead, I will take this one step at a time, one single simple question at a time. Stop me when the light bulb goes on.

Did Jesus ask the man, "Why do you call me good?" after the man labeled Jesus "good teacher"?
Nope.

I once was working with some young men who had developmental disabilities. We were reading the Matthew 5-8 narrative of the sermon on the mount when we read verses 14 and 15, the part about our being a light on a hill. When the others were asked what they thought that meant, one of the men, a man who suffered from schizophrenia, said, "Jesus had beams of light emanating from his eyes and he could see right into a person and know whether they were evil."

I know you are not crazy, so please forgive the use of the story comparatively. My point is that not every sentence in the Bible is specifically or explicitly about Jesus being God. Furthermore, in a thread specifically on whether or not a person can be obedient without also being saved, or saved and disobedient, the question inquiring of and comment asserting Jesus' divinity is off-topic. All the more so since you already know the answer to your own question. I don't go to the Trinity board often, but any visit to the Trinity board here in CARM and perusing threads in which I have participated will readily show me asserting and defending the divinity of Christ. All of them. Without exception. So..... assuming you already knew I am Trinitarian......

What's your post really about? Do please be specific.

Wanna move on, or do you still want me to walk through Mark 10:18? If the latter, then...

Did Jesus ask the man, "Why do you call me good?" after the man labeled Jesus "good teacher"?

and the specified context of that passage, which is not about Jesus' divinity. Yes, Jesus is always and everywhere God the Son,

We'll have to agree to disagree, since I think it is pretty obvious that it IS about Jesus' divinity.

Instead, I will take this one step at a time, one single simple question at a time. Stop me when the light bulb goes on.

Are you always this condescending?

My point is that not every sentence in the Bible is specifically or explicitly about Jesus being God.

I'm aware of that.
But this one happens to be.
It's pretty obvious.

Wanna move on, or do you still want me to walk through Mark 10:18? If the latter, then...

Given the condescending tone, I think I'll pass.

I could be the most condescending human to ever draw breath and my post still be correct. Nice ad hominem, though.
Are you always this judgmentally reactive?

Take responsibility for yourself in the future. We could disagree over the meaning of Mark 10:18 but that would not justify questioning my belief in Christ's divinity given our history. Imagine, just for a few seconds, how the question, "Are you denying that Jesus is God?" would be received from me or anyone else with whom you have been trading posts for years and knows you are Trinitarian. Would it make sense in your mind for someone who KNOWS you're Trin to ask you if you're denying Christ's divinity? If the answer is "No,"

why then would you think it is okay to ask that question?

On what planet is that an intelligent question for you to ask me? Even if asked rhetorically it's not helpful. There is nothing condescending about my pointing out the lack of reason inherent in that post. It is, however, condescending to judge others condescending. Therefore, it's hypocritical, too. It's also a violation of CARM Rules 12, 22, and 39. If you fix your going off topic, and your asking questions to which the answers are already known, and the arrogant judging of others, and the use of ad hominem, and the gaslighting others by blaming them when it's pointed out questions to which the answers are already known, then we won't have exchanges like this. Until you fix that we are going to have exchanges like this because you start it and then scapegoat others when they call what you've done what it is. All that is all on you and you alone. You are better than that.

Or at least I (unlike you, apparently) choose to believe, hope, and trust that is the case (and post accordingly).

You could have, and should have, alternatively, approached Mark 10:18 collaboratively without the nonsensical question and we could exegeted the verse together. You could have, just as alternatively, asserted your interpretation the question is an indication of Christ's divinity proactively. It still would have been off topic to this thread and the point I was making, but that would have been a much better way to address any questions or concerns you have. You could have ignored my post. Any number of alternatives freely available to you would have been better than what's in Post 68. The fact is I did offer a viable alternative. It was rebuffed.

No condescension on anyone's part wanted, needed, or expected. Pretty cr@ppy thing for you to post.
Given the condescending tone, I think I'll pass.
You should have done that back at post 68. I was known to be Trin long before the question was asked. You also know I don't suffer foolish questions.
WT...?????
?????
How would that be thought an intelligent question given what you already know? Next time keep your judgments to yourself and keep the posts about the posts, not the posters.

Last edited:
Back