Debate: Trent Horn vs Steve Christie (Marian dogmas)

Scripture itself refutes you.

You don't have the authority to declare it to be symbolic, so there is no reason for me to accept you particular understanding of it.
Whose declaring? Maybe its just simple common sense and taking all of scripture in when reading a text? Or is that too wild of an idea for catholics?

When you read your paper and see that the Bears killed the Rams in football are you declaring it to by symbolic? Or maybe you think its literal because the newspaper didn't specify that it was symbolic?

plz post where I said I was. link to that post. post 100 - read what I replied to. learn to read every word.

believers will know. they read and study His word themselves and should have good bible teachers.

they will understand as they study and the HS guides them.

the 1 authority over all believers is - Christ.
Whose declaring? Maybe its just simple common sense and taking all of scripture in when reading a text? Or is that too wild of an idea for catholics?

When you read your paper and see that the Bears killed the Rams in football are you declaring it to by symbolic? Or maybe you think its literal because the newspaper didn't specify that it was symbolic?
Nope, I don't believe your interpretation that it is symbolic.

How do we distinguish between them? Are they marked on the forehead?
believers believe in and follow Christ and His word. they believe in the truth of scripture they study it and live by it. they're committed to both. they've experienced the rebirth.

unbelievers believe in whatever they're taught by some teacher, read in a book or make up for themselves. some go to church regularly, some now and then. some claim to be Christian but never go to church, read or study the bible. they haven't experienced the rebirth and probably don't know what it is.

you probably won't know the difference.

believers believe in and follow Christ and His word. they believe in the truth of scripture they study it and live by it. they're committed to both. they've experienced the rebirth.

unbelievers believe in whatever they're taught by some teacher, read in a book or make up for themselves. some go to church regularly, some now and then. some claim to be Christian but never go to church, read or study the bible. they haven't experienced the rebirth and probably don't know what it is.

This goes back to Romish's statement. No body authoritatively decides what distinguishes a 'believer' from an 'unbeliever' in Protestantism. You say it drawing on what you think is authority but it's just your own opinion. When you describe whatever it is... a feeling, experience, knowledge that makes what you say authoritative, that corresponds with the same sensation that we know as hubris. How can you be sure that what you are drawing on is not hubris?

I have been invited to another debate against Trent Horn from Catholic Answers on the Roman Catholic Marian dogmas. I will be taking the position that Scripture contradicts the Perpetual Virginity of Mary, her Immaculate Conception, & her bodily Assumption to Heaven. It is scheduled for Wednesday, April 20 from 1-3 pm EST, on Matt Fradd's YouTube channel, "Pints with Aquinas." Below is the direct link to the LIVE debate. If you have a YouTube account, you can logon & asking us questions in the live chat during the Q&A. Please keep me in your prayers that God will be glorified & that I lead people to Christ!

DEBATE: The Marian Dogmas Contradict Scripture, Trent Horn Vs. Steve Christie
I'll be watching. God's richest blessings upon you.

I have been invited to another debate against Trent Horn from Catholic Answers on the Roman Catholic Marian dogmas. I will be taking the position that Scripture contradicts the Perpetual Virginity of Mary, her Immaculate Conception, & her bodily Assumption to Heaven. It is scheduled for Wednesday, April 20 from 1-3 pm EST, on Matt Fradd's YouTube channel, "Pints with Aquinas." Below is the direct link to the LIVE debate. If you have a YouTube account, you can logon & asking us questions in the live chat during the Q&A. Please keep me in your prayers that God will be glorified & that I lead people to Christ!

I'm familiar with matt fradd and trent horn. Trent has done some rebuttals of Dr. Gavin Ortlund regarding sola scriptura and a few other things. He wasn't very honest in his rebuttal. Need to watch out for some of these youtube apologists, especially the reason and theology people. Their hermenutic is pretty much everything. Good luck i should be able to watch.

mica said:

This goes back to Romish's statement. No body authoritatively decides what distinguishes a 'believer' from an 'unbeliever' in Protestantism.
probably not someone/thing you recognize as an authority, but God does in His word.

You say it drawing on what you think is authority but it's just your own opinion.
It is a different authority than catholics have but it isn't what I think, it's what I know is authority - God and His word. It isn't just my opinion.

When you describe whatever it is... a feeling, experience, knowledge that makes what you say authoritative, that corresponds with the same sensation that we know as hubris. How can you be sure that what you are drawing on is not hubris?
no, it sure doesn't.

Is that how you describe God and His word?

BornAgainRN said:

I hope I remember to watch this. my prayers will be with you!

It only works when you twist them, for example "Faith Alone". If you take scripture at face value you'll end up believing lots of crazy ideas. That's why we need to ask the Holy Spirit to guide us individually through all of scripture so we can define scripture according to our feelings, which may change over time.
It sounds like you have no trust / confidence in the Holy Spirit.

Proverbs 22:12
The eyes of the Lord preserve knowledge,
and he overthroweth the words of the transgressor.
Bow down thine ear, and hear the words of the wise,
and apply thine heart unto my knowledge.

18 For it is a pleasant thing if thou keep them within thee;
they shall withal be fitted in thy lips.

19 That thy trust may be in the Lord,
I have made known to thee this day,
even to thee.
20 Have not I written to thee excellent things in counsels and knowledge,

21 That I might make thee know the certainty of the words of truth;
that thou mightest answer the words of truth to them that send unto thee?

Ecc.12:12
The words of the wise are as goads,
and as nails fastened by the masters of assemblies,
which are given from one shepherd.

and hear the words of the wise,

Paul. the Wise Master Builder​
1Cor.3:10
According to the grace of God which is given unto me,
as a wise masterbuilder,
I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon.
But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.

==========================================

Born again;
as long as you stay firmly footed on the words of the wise
"written to thee excellent things in counsels and knowledge,"
you will do just fine;
but
if you step off on to the Devils ground
and quote from those that have eaten from the
Tree of the knowledge of good and evil
you will get your head handed to you on a platter

The Protestant position would have more legs if there was at least some recognition of Mary's exalted position in the economy of salvation.

Scripture didn't exalt Mary. Scripture is about her SON, not her.
It is impossible to read Lukes account of Mary, her song and the words of the angel, and not see her somewhere above the rest of us looking to Christ.

She is above no one.
Most Protestants I've encountered here try so hard to rip her from the womb of the salvation scripture.

Idiocy. We go no further than what Scripture says of her.

Interesting stance. Because you believe scripture is silent on the matter it is therefore settled. (A false assertion as I will explain.) Interesting how the Dogma of the trinity was not clearly defined in scripture and had to be "fleshed" out due to the Arian heresy. Scripture is silent on lots of issues.

Scripture is not silent on the Trinity.

The fourth-century Church had the authority to determine that twenty-seven books belonged in the New Testament,

No, they recognized what ALREADY WAS Scripture.
I don't know of many Protestants who argue with that, the nineteenth-century Church still had the authority to dogmatically define Mary’s Assumption into heaven, the difference to Protestants is that at some point the authority of the church was corrupted, thus the need for the Protestant Reformation.

Your church made up things about Mary, including her PV, IC AND Assumption.
Scripture is not silent on the matter of Mary either.

See above.
Protestants will disagree with the assumption of Mary into Heaven,

Because it's not scriptural.
Scripture is not silent on church authority.

IT's also not silent on adding to Scripture what is not taught, which your church has done.

Back