Effectual Calling

L

Ladodgers6

Free willers think they can overpower God, by their own power, and choices. Their Pelagian view has been condemned by more church councils in history than any other. There cannot provide any Scriptural teaching on the Fall of man or sin, they think this is absurd and false. They do not believe man is totally depraved and corrupted by sin. Though any John Wesley teaches this, oddly enough. They believe fallen man doesn't need to be regenerated by the Spirit to believe, instead sinful rebellious man can believe on his own.

I will provide Scripture to teach that God's Grace is effectual and has a purpose of saving, because without it no one would be saved. We believe and teach in the external call to everyone and internal spiritual call. What, then, is the difference between the external call and this call which has become effectual? And the answer must be that this call is an internal, a spiritual call. It is not merely something that comes to a person from the outside---it does that, of course, but in addition to that external which comes to all, there is an internal call which comes to those who are going to be Christians or Saints, and it is effectual, internal and spiritual.

What is it that establishes the differences between the two groups? And the way to answer this question is that the call of the gospel, which has been given to all (external call), is effectual only in His elect. Now there is a portion of Scripture which is perfect illustration of this. The followers of Christ who were even described as 'disciples' were divided up into two groups (goats/sheep). One group decided that they would never listen to Him again. They left Him and went home. And when He turned to the others and said, 'Will ye also go away?' Peter said, 'Lord, to whom shall we go? Thou hast the word of eternal life (John 6:67-68). The one group did not believe and went home, the others, who had heard exactly the same things, stayed with Him, wanted to hear more, and rejoiced in it. What makes the difference? It is that the word was effectual in the case of those who are called (internally) and was not effectual in the case of the those who did not believe.

1 Peter 2:9But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. 10Once you were not a people, but now you are God’s people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

1 Cor. 1:2To the church of God that is in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints

It is not simply that they are called Saints, they are called to be Saints...an Effectual calling, an internal Spiritual calling.

1 Cor. 1: 23but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, 24but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.24but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God.

Now there are people to whom the preaching of Christ is foolishness; they are the unsaved. But the saved he again describes as those who are called.

Romans 8:28And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. 29For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

Well, the word church translates the Greek word, ecclesia; and ecclesia means the 'called forth ones'. A church is a gathering of people who have been called forth, called out, separated out as the result of this effectual internal call. As Peter puts it: 'Who hath called you out of darkness into His marvelous light'.

I'll end this with John 6:44-45, 63-65. Those who are called shall be taught by God himself, not taught by men only but by God and the Spirit.

John 6: 44No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day. 45It is written in the Prophets, ‘And they will all be taught by God.’

John 6: 64But there are some of you who do not believe.” (For Jesus knew from the beginning who those were who did not believe, and who it was who would betray him.) 65And he said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.”

This is God's doing in His Divine Act of Grace that He Promised that he swore he would fulfill in Christ for His people. And this is marvelous good news that God calls sinners out of the darkness into His light, by His sheer mercy and Grace, according to his purpose and will.

Know what you believe and why you believe it!​

I want you to study the following short video very carefully.

Free willers think we can "overpower" God, just like this kitten "overpowered" a dog which could have killed it but didn't.

God lets us have freewill, like this dog let the kitten live...

Free willers think they can overpower God, by their own power, and choices. Their Pelagian view has been condemned by more church councils in history than any other.​
When you run into these "Free willers" that think they can overcome God you let us know. Good luck hunting!

Last edited:
Free willers think they can overpower God, by their own power, and choices. Their Pelagian view has been condemned by more church councils in history than any other. There cannot provide any Scriptural teaching on the Fall of man or sin, they think this is absurd and false. They do not believe man is totally depraved and corrupted by sin. Though any John Wesley teaches this, oddly enough. They believe fallen man doesn't need to be regenerated by the Spirit to believe, instead sinful rebellious man can believe on his own.

I will provide Scripture to teach that God's Grace is effectual and has a purpose of saving, because without it no one would be saved. We believe and teach in the external call to everyone and internal spiritual call. What, then, is the difference between the external call and this call which has become effectual? And the answer must be that this call is an internal, a spiritual call. It is not merely something that comes to a person from the outside---it does that, of course, but in addition to that external which comes to all, there is an internal call which comes to those who are going to be Christians or Saints, and it is effectual, internal and spiritual.

What is it that establishes the differences between the two groups? And the way to answer this question is that the call of the gospel, which has been given to all (external call), is effectual only in His elect. Now there is a portion of Scripture which is perfect illustration of this. The followers of Christ who were even described as 'disciples' were divided up into two groups (goats/sheep). One group decided that they would never listen to Him again. They left Him and went home. And when He turned to the others and said, 'Will ye also go away?' Peter said, 'Lord, to whom shall we go? Thou hast the word of eternal life (John 6:67-68). The one group did not believe and went home, the others, who had heard exactly the same things, stayed with Him, wanted to hear more, and rejoiced in it. What makes the difference? It is that the word was effectual in the case of those who are called (internally) and was not effectual in the case of the those who did not believe.

1 Peter 2:9But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. 10Once you were not a people, but now you are God’s people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

1 Cor. 1:2To the church of God that is in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints

It is not simply that they are called Saints, they are called to be Saints...an Effectual calling, an internal Spiritual calling.

1 Cor. 1: 23but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, 24but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.24but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God.

Now there are people to whom the preaching of Christ is foolishness; they are the unsaved. But the saved he again describes as those who are called.

Romans 8:28And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. 29For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

Well, the word church translates the Greek word, ecclesia; and ecclesia means the 'called forth ones'. A church is a gathering of people who have been called forth, called out, separated out as the result of this effectual internal call. As Peter puts it: 'Who hath called you out of darkness into His marvelous light'.

I'll end this with John 6:44-45, 63-65. Those who are called shall be taught by God himself, not taught by men only but by God and the Spirit.

John 6: 44No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day. 45It is written in the Prophets, ‘And they will all be taught by God.’

John 6: 64But there are some of you who do not believe.” (For Jesus knew from the beginning who those were who did not believe, and who it was who would betray him.) 65And he said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.”

This is God's doing in His Divine Act of Grace that He Promised that he swore he would fulfill in Christ for His people. And this is marvelous good news that God calls sinners out of the darkness into His light, by His sheer mercy and Grace, according to his purpose and will.

Know what you believe and why you believe it!​
What a bunch of tripe

Pelagianism is one thing, free will another

Free will has always been the majority position of the church even while Pelagianism was rejected

In any case a little context to John 6:44

John 6:45 (KJV 1900)
45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

what is necessary for one to come is to hear and learn from the father

In other words revelation is needed to enable ones coming

John 6:65 (NIV84)
65 He went on to say, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him.”

Romans 10:17 (NIV84)
17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.

not some irresistible grace

All one need do is read Christ's words and that of others concerning how one may learn and hear from the Father or why some do not believe

The Scriptures
John 5:37–40 (KJV 1900)
37 And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape. 38 And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not. 39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

John 8:43–47 (KJV 1900)
43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. 44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. 45 And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not. 46 Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me? 47 He that is of God heareth God’s words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

John 20:30–31 (KJV 1900)
30 And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: 31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

The witness of Moses (scripture also)

John 5:45–47 (KJV 1900)
45 Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust. 46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me. 47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

John the baptist

John 5:33–35 (KJV 1900)
33 Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth. 34 But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved. 35 He was a burning and a shining light: and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light.

John 1:6–7 (KJV 1900)
6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

Chist's works and miracles

John 5:36 (KJV 1900)
36 But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me.

Acts 2:22 (KJV 1900)
22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

John 10:37–38 (KJV 1900)
37 If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not. 38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.

To imagine some effectual irresistible and unconditional, unilateral work is involved in John 6:44 is to ignore much scripture

Free willers think they can overpower God, by their own power, and choices. Their Pelagian view has been condemned by more church councils in history than any other.​
No church council has ever condemned free will

It has always been the majority view of the church

Your statement is completely false

1 Cor. 1: 23but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, 24but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.24but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God.​
Not one verse there speaks of secretive effectual call given only to the unconditionally elect so as to effect belief

Paul uses the term called to note those who have believed the gospel and, on that basis, saved

1 Corinthians 1:21 (KJV 1900)
21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

However Call is used in various ways

Matthew 22:14 (KJV 1900)
14 For many are called, but few are chosen.

The call goes out to all but not all are chosen

Effectual calling (a term which never appears in the bible but is adapted from the WCF) according to the gospel coalition

"Through the call of God, a sinner’s heart is regenerated and her will is liberated; because of this, the effectual call logically precedes conversion, the exercising of faith in Christ."

effects regeneration and as a result faith

However the bible clearly puts faith before regeneration

Regeneration is the impartation of life which is preceded by faith/repentance

John 5:24–25 (KJV)
24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. 25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

John 20:31 (KJV)
31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

John 5:40 (KJV)
40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

Acts 11:18 (KJV)
18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

and the only call the bible knows of is by the gospel- the gospel call

One hears the gospel and if believed one is saved (converted)

1 Corinthians 1:21 (KJV 1900)
21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

Romans 10:6–17 (KJV 1900)
6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:) 7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.) 8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; 9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. 12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. 13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. 14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! 16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? 17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Free willers think they can overpower God, by their own power, and choices.​
1) No one claims they can overpower God.
2) God does give power to the believers to become sons of God.

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

What a bunch of tripe

Free will has always been the majority position of the church even while Pelagianism was rejected

45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

65 He went on to say, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him.”

17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.

All one need do is read Christ's words and that of others concerning how one may learn and hear from the Father or why some do not believe

The Scriptures
37 And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape. 38 And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not. 39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. 44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. 45 And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not. 46 Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me? 47 He that is of God heareth God’s words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

30 And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: 31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

45 Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust. 46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me. 47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

John the baptist

33 Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth. 34 But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved. 35 He was a burning and a shining light: and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light.

6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

36 But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me.

22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

37 If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not. 38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.

To imagine some effectual irresistible and unconditional, unilateral work is involved in John 6:44 is to ignore much scripture
What people like f1tom are saying is that God dresses you up in swimming trunks, flippers, mask, snorkel....and then all you have to do is jump into the water. No pushing allowed.

The analogy is exactly what Tom says.
Instead of making up what you imagine to be an analogy why not just deal with scripture

What a bunch of tripe

The Scriptures

John the baptist

Argumentum ad populum is still a logical fallacy.

"Let God be true, and every man a liar."
The bigger fallacy is the church that affirmed free will identified free will as Pelagianism

Had you examined context you should have realized that it was not an argument that free will is correct because the majority affirmed

rather it points to the absurdity of the argument which identified free will with church condemned Pelagianism

therefore it was not an Argumentum ad populum or a logical fallacy

and you are off the mark

Reactions: Joe
What people like f1tom are saying is that God dresses you up in swimming trunks, flippers, mask, snorkel....and then all you have to do is jump into the water. No pushing allowed.
Above we have an example of How a Calvinist ignores scripture

The Scriptures

John the baptist

Reactions: Joe
The context here has to do with the relationship of the Father and the Son. Jesus is claiming that the Jews are rejecting him because (in actuality) they have rejected the Father. So, the context of this passage is not a discussion of whether God has chosen to send the mass of humanity to an eternal Hell, while choosing to arbitrarily save (by compulsion: “dragged”) a few. The context concerns why these particular Jews have not been drawn to Jesus as Messiah and Son, while others have.

And, Jesus asserts here that it is because they have first rejected the Father and the testimony of the Scriptures. Jesus denounces their claim to knowledge of the Father. He asserts that their resistance to the Father & the message of the Scriptures is the reason they have not subsequently been drawn to the Son. The point is made repeatedly. “And the Father who sent me has himself testified on my behalf. You have never heard his voice or seen his form…” (John 5:37).“You search the scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that testify on my behalf.” (John 5:39). “How can you believe when you accept glory from one another and do not seek the glory that comes from the one who alone is God?”(John 5:44). “If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me. But if you do not believe what he wrote, how will you believe what I say?” (John 5:46, 47). And, earlier in chapter 5 it is stated the other way around: “Anyone who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.” (John 5:23).

Thus the point is that the Jews who are rejecting him are doing so because they have first rejected the Father. But, Jesus asserts that those who acknowledged the Father were “drawn along” into acknowledging the Son.
Dr Craig Adam S.E.A.

Above we have an example of How a Calvinist ignores scripture

The Scriptures

John the baptist

Above is the words of a scripture twister.

Back