The Confiteor

Yes, He is God

And He has the authority to forgive sins, but what I wanted you to see, in the passages was that both tax collector's received salvation by faith.

take a look at these

Matthew 9:2
Just then some men brought to Him a paralytic lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, "Take courage, son; your sins are forgiven."

Matthew 9:5
Which is easier: to say, 'Your sins are forgiven,' or to say, 'Get up and walk?'

Mark 2:5
When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, "Son, your sins are forgiven."

Luke 5:20
When Jesus saw their faith, He said, "Friend, your sins are forgiven."

Mark 2:5-7
…5When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, “Son, your sins are forgiven.” 6But some of the scribes were sitting there and thinking in their hearts, 7“Why does this man speak like this? He is blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?”…
When Jesus saw their faith. Isn't that interesting? Parents do the same when they bring their children to be baptized.
Jesus sees their faith and the child is "healed" (regenerated) in baptism.

All of the examples, show us that these people simply believed Jesus was who He claimed to be, and because of that, their sins were forgiven
Did He claim to be their Savior, to die and rise again for their forgiveness? Isn't that part of a saving faith?
Was the New Covenant in effect then?

This answer is so easy....

Question--->How did Zacchaeus receive salvation before Jesus died on the Cross?
Answer----->the same way as all the OT saints; by faith in what God promised

follow along
So Jesus called Zacchaeus a son of Abraham.

Luke 19 :9 re: Zacchaeus
"Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham. "

Galatians 3:29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Paul's letter to Church in Rome
That the offspring of Abraham will receive the promise by FAITH!!!

Romans 4
13 It was not through the law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith
23 The words “it was credited to him<Abraham>” were written not for him alone, 24 but also for us, to whom God will credit righteousness—for us who believe in him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead. 25 He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification.
what i don't see in your post is that God will credit righteousness for us who -
believe in and follow the rcc and its teachings, are members of the rcc, submit to the rcc pope, confess their sins to a rcc priest and then say a few 'prayers' to Mary, are water baptized, recite more prayers to Mary, go to a Mass according to rcc rules, periodically eat a man made wafer etc.

maybe a catholic here can provide those verses. they haven't yet been able to do that.

in summary:
Paul's letter to Church in Rome
5:1 Therefore, since we have been justified through faith,
that verse is invisible to catholics who are in bondage to Rome. the Vatican long ago buried it deep beneath the Vatican floor.

Yes, He is God

And He has the authority to forgive sins, but what I wanted you to see, in the passages was that both tax collector's received salvation by faith.

take a look at these

Matthew 9:2
Just then some men brought to Him a paralytic lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, "Take courage, son; your sins are forgiven."

Matthew 9:5
Which is easier: to say, 'Your sins are forgiven,' or to say, 'Get up and walk?'
Taking a look at Matthews gospel, 9:2 thru 9:5, I'm reading that before Jesus healed the man of his paralysis, Jesus told him that his sins were forgiven. A sense of guilt can lead to a severe physical illness. Jesus indicated that, for this particular sufferer, the first requisite was to be freed, healed, of his guilt, and assured of God's acceptance.

Then in vs. 3 as in 8:19, the Greek reads "not teachers of the Law but "scribes." For these and other 'experts in the Law,' nobody, not even the Messiah, but only God could forgive sins. So, to them, Jesus' words sounded blasphemous to their ears. Jesus knew what they were thinking though (vs.4). The gospels seem to often depict Jesus as a clairvoyant or, their authors would prefer to say, divinely able to read people's minds. Of course, Jesus' knowledge in this instance may not have been supernatural, since the scribes reaction was just exactly like one would expect. Jesus refuted them by showing his power to heal the body. On their own premise, to possess both the power to forgive and the power to heal placed Jesus at a much higher level even than the Messiah! In turn, that might enrich and modify still further the meaning of Jesus' phrase, the "Son of Man."

Last edited:
"“Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I say to you, will seek to enter and will not be able.."
Jesus is the gate, isn't He.
So what does "strive" mean?
It's the effort we put forth to stop sinning by cooperating with the graces given us.
We can never stop sinning so long as we are in our sinful flesh. But when we come to faith in Jesus Christ, we are no longer slaves to sin, but to righteousness. But this is all God's doing, and none of our own. Sola Gloria Dei!

Last edited:
We can never stop sinning do long as we are in our sinful flesh. But when we come to faith in Jesus Christ, we are no longer slaves to sin, but to righteousness. But this is all God's doing, and none of our own. Sola Gloria Dei!
Where does Scripture say this? ^

"Go and sin no more."

"Go and sin no more."
Jesus meant leave their life of sin. He knows we will be sinful as long as we are in our mortal flesh. But by grace through faith in HIM, we are no longer slaves to sin.

Or do you really think it is possible never to sin again in thought, word, and deed as long as we are in our mortal bodies?

Now, you wrote that Jesus is God to you...is that all He is to you?

Last edited:

"Go and sin no more."
Have you stopped sinning? If this was the real belief in the RCC why do you need confession, last rites and purgatory. I mean you have ALL stopped sinning. I don't think so look at your leaders and how they ignore sin.

PLease answer my question what did the word perfect mean to those who heard the message?

Jesus meant leave their life of sin. He knows we will be sinful as long as we are in our mortal flesh. But by grace through faith in HIM, we are no longer slaves to sin.

Or do you really think it is possible never to sin again in thought, word, and deed as long as we are in our mortal bodies?

You are right. But we do not need to be deliberately sinning over and over again. I mean we have the armour, we can avoid going to places that lead a person to sin eg if you have a problem with drink, don't go to the pub, paedophiles should not be put with children.

Maybe we need to focus more on these verses, less on being perfect.

1 Cor 10:13

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

James 4:7

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Eph 6

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. 19 Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.

col 3:5+
Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. On account of these the wrath of God is coming.

1 c0r 6:18

Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body.

But we have an advocate that understands us and who forgives us our imperfections. We have a God who has done what our flesh cannot do.

Rom 8
There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. ...

We are no longer slaves to sin but we will be sinful as long as we live.

You are speaking in circles.

If we keep in our minds and hearts that everything we do is worship that should help us to keep on the right path and not stray. Also if we keep in mind our Lord could return at any time that should help us focus on what is important.

Remember these things with the verses I posted and the sound advice of not going to places where you will sin should help a believer. Remembering God is our strength and will help us resist the devil.

You cannot make up your whether you are still going to sin or be perfect.

What did the word perfect mean to those hearing the message from Jesus? Still waiting.

No, I am not. Every Protestant Christian on here knows what I meant, when I wrote that when we are in Christ Jesus our Lord, though we are still sinners, we are no longer slaves to our old sinful nature, but slaves to righteousness. That is what Paul wrote (paraphrasing). Even he, one of the greatest Christians who ever lived, lamented about how he did stuff he didn't want to do, or didn't do stuff he wanted to do--and cried out, "Who will save me from this body of death?" Then right after that, he said "Thanks be to Jesus Christ!" Meaning, Jesus had saved him from his sinful flesh. So He has saved all of us by grace through faith in HIM.

Now, do you think it is possible for any human being alive upon this earth to stop sinning completely in thought, word, and deed? If so, then why do Catholics need to go to confession? Why doing penance? Why "purgatory"?

No, I am not. Every Protestant Christian on here knows what I meant, when I wrote that when we are in Christ Jesus our Lord, though we are still sinners, we are no longer slaves to our old sinful nature, but slaves to righteousness. That is what Paul wrote (paraphrasing). Even he, one of the greatest Christians who ever lived, lamented about how he did stuff he didn't want to do, or didn't do stuff he wanted to do--and cried out, "Who will save me from this body of death?" Then right after that, he said "Thanks be to Jesus Christ!" Meaning, Jesus had saved him from his sinful flesh. So He has saved all of us by grace through faith in HIM.

Now, do you think it is possible for any human being alive upon this earth to stop sinning completely in thought, word, and deed? If so, then why do Catholics need to go to confession? Why doing penance? Why "purgatory"?

John 8:34 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.

Rom 6:16
Do you not know that when you offer yourselves as obedient slaves, you are slaves to the one you obey, whether you are slaves to sin leading to death, or to obedience leading to righteousness?

The sacraments are remedies for sin. Purgatory is the final remedy before entering heaven.

John 8:34 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.

Rom 6:16
Do you not know that when you offer yourselves as obedient slaves, you are slaves to the one you obey, whether you are slaves to sin leading to death, or to obedience leading to righteousness?

The sacraments are remedies for sin. Purgatory is the final remedy before entering heaven.
But Jesus has freed us from slavery to our old sinful nature. He freed Paul from his desire to persecute the early church, and have Christians jailed, and turned him into one of the greatest Christians who ever lived, who was martyred for his faith. He had left behind his old sinful self that hated Christians and wanted to persecute them.

We do receive forgiveness of sins through Holy Baptism and by partaking of the Lord's Supper. But there is no such thing as Purgatory. God will cleanse us from sin and our sinful nature when we who are in Christ Jesus die in Him, trusting in Him to save us. If we must suffer in Purgatory to be cleansed of sin, then that means Jesus' death and Resurrection only did a half-baked job of that, and we must do the rest in Purgatory. But what does John say in his first epistle?

"If we confess our sins, God, Who is faithful and just, will forgive us our sins, and cleanse us from ALL unrighteousness."

God cleanses us; no Purgatory needed.

Back