A short essay for the Brit who thinks "torture" is a synonym for "punishment"

All resources are flawed. That includes you and I. The errors accumulate due to this fact, which makes this probably one of the most interesting posts I've read in over a quarter of a century of doing this.
I’m flattered.
My question to you here is, to start, what is the difference between translation and transliteration and what does pneuma mean?
Well, I assume you know what it is to translate something. To transliterate is to move from one alphabet to another as closely as you can.

Pneuma means all sorts of things. You can look it up if you’re after details. But if you’re thinking about air, spirit, breath, and that sort of thing, you’re in the right neighbourhood.

That was quite the egregious quote-mine there. Do you really think doing that makes you look good?
The poster I was engaging with has a history of being rather unconstructive (his abusive reply has been deleted). This informed my response.

In any case, I don’t much care about whether I ‘look good’ here, and never have. Just ask @Torin.

The poster I was engaging with has a history of being rather unconstructive (his abusive reply has been deleted). This informed my response.
My original post pointed out your mistake. I fail to see how that's "unconstructive". And I don't see how my response was any worse than your twisting my words into some type of apology. In truth I think you've probably confused me with another poster from the previous forum. I took his moniker to annoy him exactly for the reasons you stated.

My original post pointed out your mistake. I fail to see how that's "unconstructive".
Of course, nobody has made this claim, and anyway no mistake was made.
And I don't see how my response was any worse than your twisting my words into some type of apology.
But you did apologise. That I didn’t give you the satisfaction of the lazy sarcasm with which your apology was loaded may chagrin you, but I don’t care.

As for whether naked insults are ‘any worse’ than this: of course they are.

In truth I think you've probably confused me with another poster from the previous forum. I took his moniker to annoy him exactly for the reasons you stated.
Nominative determinism dies hard.

torture
noun: the infliction of intense pain (as from burning, crushing, or wounding) to punish, coerce, or afford sadistic pleasure
Ah, well then.... this is the problem.
Your application is incorrect.
YHVH doesn't take any kind of pleasure in your being punished for your sin.
He even states as much!

[Eze 18:4, 31-32 NKJV] 4 "Behold, all souls are Mine; The soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is Mine; The soul who sins shall die. ... 31 "Cast away from you all the transgressions which you have committed, and get yourselves a new heart and a new spirit. For why should you die, O house of Israel? 32 "For I have no pleasure in the death of one who dies," says the Lord GOD. "Therefore turn and live!"

That said, here's the mirriam webster definition of Punishment

Definition of punishment

1: the act of punishing
2a: suffering, pain, or loss that serves as retribution
b: a penalty inflicted on an offender through judicial procedure
3: severe, rough, or disastrous treatment

This is a more accurate definition of what your unrepentant eternity will be should you refuse to follow Jesus by the time you die.

The dictionary clearly states that causing intense pain to punish is torture.
Looks pretty close for punishment too.
Severe, rough, and disastrous treatment will be your end should you refuse to turn to YHVH from your sin, and place your trust in Jesus.

If you honestly believe being spanked caused you intense pain - and that your father intended that you feel intense pain - then it was torture.
So, my belief is what makes something true or not?
I guess your belief means you will be tormented, even though it's punishment for your sin.

I am saying they are not synonyms, that is just stiggy's straw man. You can have punishment without torture if there is no intense pain. You can have torture for coercion or sadistic pleasure, rather than punishment. However, causing intense pain to punish is torture
You really should learn the bible more.

Punishment is not torture. Yet you keep insisting on torture being punishment.

Definition of punishment

1: the act of punishing
2a: suffering, pain, or loss that serves as retribution
b: a penalty inflicted on an offender through judicial procedure
3: severe, rough, or disastrous treatment

This is just reiterating the dictionary definition; you should be able to work this out for yourself.
Already did. Perhaps you should look more closely. Torture is not the word used in the bible. It's punishment.
That you keep agreeing that torture is not punishment, and punishment is not torture, I'm wondering if you're simply losing your capacity to reason clearly.
This is part of the consequence of deliberately and willfully choosing sin. Your reasoning becomes increasingly futile, and you lose clarity of reason.

It uses the phrase "intense pain". If you insist that according to the dictionary definition you were tortured, then yes, you were tortured. I am not sure quite what you expect from me here?
I thought you'd recognize the lack of tenability of your position, but apparently you've chosen to entrench yourself into stupidity.

How so?

How so?
It's not complicated. You're choosing an erroneous perspective and believing a lie.
YHVH doesn't torture. No matter how desperately you want to be tortured. He will punish you for your refusal to turn to Him and place your trust in Jesus.
As far as I can see, according to the dictionary definition, Matthew 25 tells us that God tortures all those who reject him.
Curious..... now you're deliberately changing the word from Punishment to Torture.
I.e., this is an outright lie you're telling here Pix!

Even Plato, Aristotle, and others know the difference.

κόλασις, κολάσεως, ἡ (κολάζω), correction, punishment, penalty: Matthew 25:46; κόλασιν ἔχει,brings with it or has connected with it the thought of punishment, 1 John 4:18. (Ezekiel 14:3f, etc.; 2 Macc. 4:38; 4 Macc. 8:8; Wis. 11:14 Wis. 16:24, etc.; Plato, Aristotle, Diodorus 1, 77 (9); 4, 44 (3); Aelian v. h. 7, 15; others.)

All you seem to be saying here is that your father spanked you, therefore it is not torture. What is your reasoning here?
Your continued changing punishment into torture. I'm doing this to show you what you're doing.

Are you saying you want to believe what your father did to you was not torture, therefore the dictionary is wrong?
Nope--- that you are wrong.
I would suggest it is more likely that the pain you felt was not intense enough to count as torture. And if it really was that intense, then it really was torture.
Ok, you suggest. I'll simply come out and state it--- you've changed punishment into torture, and claim torture, when the bible clearly uses the word- kolasis, for punishment. So, if you really want to continue your delusion, it'll cost you more.
Which is torture.
Nope. That's what you want it to be because you're desperate to justify your stupidity.

κόλασις, κολάσεως, ἡ (κολάζω), correction, punishment, penalty: Matthew 25:46; κόλασιν ἔχει,brings with it or has connected with it the thought of punishment, 1 John 4:18. (Ezekiel 14:3f, etc.; 2 Macc. 4:38; 4 Macc. 8:8; Wis. 11:14 Wis. 16:24, etc.; Plato, Aristotle, Diodorus 1, 77 (9); 4, 44 (3); Aelian v. h. 7, 15; others.)

Even these guys know the difference. Are you really going to call them liars?
How can I love God?
Change your mind. Stop believing the lies, and start believing the truth.

Firstly, I do not believe he exist, and whenever I ask you what convinced you that the Bible is true, all you have are Bible verses that assume it is true.
YOU BELIEVE......
So, is this your way of saying what you believe defines the truth and reality?

That would indeed explain why you believe that you'll be tortured, even though the word Punished, is used. So, apparently, you be d-man, and all awareness dwells with you, as you be d-definer of all reality.

Secondly, how can I love and worship a god who is right now torturing billions of people for exercising their basic human right to freedom of religion?
Firstly, he's not torturing anyone. In spite of your desperation to be tortured, so you can justify your ongoing ignorance and clearly defined hatred.

All punishment is not torture. When my kids were younger and misbehaved, I would punish them. I NEVER tortured them.

And all torture is not punishment. Jack the Ripper tortured his victims, but did not punish them. He most likely did not even know them.

But of course you compound your merely grammatical error by saying, "God tortures." Can you show me scripture that indicates God is even IN the lake of fire, much less doing any torturing?

God has warned you about the lake of fire and has promised to save you from it free of charge. Do you know a sadist torturer who pleads with his victim to let him love him?
The lesson, according to God, that we need to learn is this:

To remove ultimate trust from self to Him

The question, stiggy, is this:

Is God capable of imparting this lesson to us in a manner and fashion that is every bit as convincing to us WITHOUT extraneous punishment/harm as it is WITH the attendant punishment/harm?

A simple yes or no response will suffice

Thanks in advance!

Ah, well then.... this is the problem.
You, too, Steve...
I'd appreciate an answer

The question is this:

Is God capable of imparting this lesson to us in a manner and fashion that is every bit as convincing to us WITHOUT extraneous punishment/harm as it is WITH the attendant punishment/harm?

Thanks in advance!

The question, stiggy, is this:

Actually, the question is this: Is God capable of teaching us experiential lessons without an experience? The answer is no. Just like He is incapable of producing dogs who are not dogs. He LIKES us to subjectively undergo our lessons, as opposed to grilling objective stuff into our brain. Example:

The lesson we learn about the evil of adultery is more powerful if we undergo the pain and agony of experiential guilt associated with having committed it, than if we give strong mental consent to the truth of the Seventh Commandment.

Actually, the question is this: Is God capable of teaching us experiential lessons without an experience? The answer is no. Just like He is incapable of producing dogs who are not dogs. He LIKES us to subjectively undergo our lessons, as opposed to grilling objective stuff into our brain. Example:

The lesson we learn about the evil of adultery is more powerful if we undergo the pain and agony of experiential guilt associated with having committed it, than if we give strong mental consent to the truth of the Seventh Commandment.
No, stiggy, you don't get to rephrase my question!
You don't get to move the goalposts!!

Obviously, no one, not even God {because He honors logic} is capable of communicating EXPERIENTIAL lessons upon us without ensuring that we actually EXPERIENCE

This, however, is NOT what I am asking!

Again, is God capable of imparting this lesson to us in a manner and fashion that is every bit as convincing to us WITHOUT extraneous punishment/harm as it is WITH the attendant punishment/harm?

YES
or
NO?

No, stiggy, you don't get to rephrase my question!

Obviously that is untrue. I just did.

You don't get to move the goalposts!!

Correct. There are no goal posts to either move or ignore.

Obviously, no one, not even God {because He honors logic} is capable of communicating EXPERIENTIAL lessons upon us without ensuring that we actually EXPERIENCE

Correct. You just rephrased my previous comment. See? You DO "get to" do that.

This, however, is NOT what I am asking!

Again, is God capable of imparting this lesson to us in a manner and fashion that is every bit as convincing to us WITHOUT extraneous punishment/harm as it is WITH the attendant punishment/harm?

Depends on the lesson. I gave you an example of one in which the answer is no. Here's one in which the answer is yes:

"Can God impart the knowledge that 1+1=2 or that Dover is the capital of Delaware without attendant harm?"

Depends on the lesson.
Is God capable of imparting to us, in a manner and fashion that is every bit as convincing to us WITHOUT extraneous punishment/harm as it is WITH the attendant punishment/harm, that we are to remove ultimate trust from self to Him?

YES
or
NO???

Is God capable of imparting to us, in a manner and fashion that is every bit as convincing to us WITHOUT extraneous punishment/harm as it is WITH the attendant punishment/harm, that we are to remove ultimate trust from self to Him?

YES
or
NO???

Stop ignoring my answers and repeating your question. Look what you just did. You used the participial verb "imparting" without giving it a direct object. Imparting WHAT? As I answered earlier and which you ignored, give me an example. I gave you an example in which the answer is no, and two in which it is yes. Your turn.

OK, I reread your question. I see that you DID give a direct object, or rather a phrase, to your participial verb, but you constructed your sentence so clumsily that I missed it on first reading.

"......... to remove ultimate trust from self to Him."

NO. We are built in such a way that merely giving mental assent to the proposition that "Jesus is worthy of ultimate trust" won't suffice for the surrender of will that He knows we need. We must EXPERIENCE the harm of having not done so, in order to facilitate that surrender and receive that consequent trust.

NO. We are built in such a way that merely giving mental assent to the proposition that "Jesus is worthy of ultimate trust" won't suffice for the surrender of will that He knows we need. We must EXPERIENCE the harm of having not done so, in order to facilitate that surrender and receive that consequent trust.
Then God is not omnipotent and, despite scripture's claim, not all things are possible with God after all

In this case, why bother placing your trust in Him to begin with?

And who, for that matter, "built us" in the first place?

Then God is not omnipotent and, despite scripture's claim, not all things are possible with God after all

In this case, why bother placing your trust in Him to begin with?

Because He is worthy of that trust. I KNOW that from experience, just as I know from experience the suffering attendant on NOT trusting Him.

And who, for that matter, "built us" in the first place?

He did. Yeah, I know: If you were God, you'd have created us so that you could just holler out from on high, "TRUST ME!" and we all would.

Because He is worthy of that trust. I KNOW that from experience, just as I know from experience the suffering attendant on NOT trusting Him.
"Because" is NOT an answer, stiggy!

I didn't accept "just because" when I was a kid and I sure as hell don't accept it now as an adult!!

Scripture/Christianity insists that God is Almighty/omnipotent and that, with Him, all things are possible

1. How, then, is it possible that He is incapable of imparting understanding upon us without first making us suffer?

2. Why would you place your trust in a being who claims a capability that you, yourself, acknowledge that He is incapable of performing?

Back