Abraham and Joseph Smith covenanted to live the New and Everlasting Covenant.

If that is true then you have to admit the scriptures are corrupted and are in error.... you should take out the partial sentence, "gave her to Abram her husband as a wife."
That’s considered shouting and bad internet manners.

It wasn’t God who gave Hagar to Abraham. It was Sarai, his wife. She wanted a child, and wanted him to impregnate her slave so she could take the child as her own. Taking her “to wife,” in that context, simply meant get her pregnant.

The angel called Hagar the slave of Sarai, and told her to go back and obey her mistress. She was never Abraham’s wife.

Or, it's not a euphemism for anything. It could be that he really took her as his second wife. To me, you're just twisting the narrative to fit some argument that you think works in your favor. It doesn't. On the one hand, Abraham is an adulterer. On the other, he is a polygamist. Either way, it is through Abraham that all the blessings promised by God come through. Joseph Smith is in good company.
After Sarai died, Abraham took a second wife. It wasn’t Hagar. He also had concubines who bore him children.

All thru Genesis, Hagar is referred to as Sarai’s slave. Even by the angels who talked to her. Not as his wife.

I have no “favor” in this. It was what it was.

Abraham will have to work out his own stuff between him and God, just like everyone else.

However, Joseph Smith and his buddies made polygamy or adultery a commandment people had to obey in order to get into God’s kingdom.That’s where it becomes a matter of false prophets and false doctrines. Leading people away from what God tells us. He doesn’t like that. He warned us about following people who do that.

After Sarai died, Abraham took a second wife.
None of that changes the fact that Abraham was either an adulterer or a polygamist. In either case, Joseph and Abraham are in the same company. You have to make his love child go away for this not to be an issue. Joseph Smith has no children by anyone other than Emma.

None of that changes the fact that Abraham was either an adulterer or a polygamist.
Adultery.
In either case, Joseph and Abraham are in the same company.
Not likely. Abraham listened to his wife, Joseph Smith didn't come up with any policies that resemble what Abraham did.
You have to make his love child go away
Again. Sara made that happen.
for this not to be an issue.
That's what makes it an issue, and spotlights that Abraham and Joseph Smith are in no way similar at all.
Joseph Smith has no children by anyone other than Emma.
Charles Manson didn't kill anyone, but that doesn't negate the fact that he's responsible.

I find it hypocritical of modern day Christians who state the Bible is infallible and yet deny plural marriage was practiced as a Law given to both... Old Testament Patriarchs and Joseph Smith...
Christians can't have it both ways, either the Bible is wrong and plural marriage forbidden and a sin, or they have to admit that the Old Testament Patriarchs did in deed practice plural marriage or the modern day label of polygamy... hmm

If you condemn Joseph Smith you have to condemn Abraham... what say you ?
I would say, in LDS terms, Abraham obeyed the Law of Sarah, and Joseph Smith didn't.

I would say, in LDS terms, Abraham obeyed the Law of Sarah, and Joseph Smith didn't.
That may very well be true. I would say that the Law of Sarah was not the only law that governs polygamy. I don't think marrying your deceased brother's wife falls under the law of Sarah. No mention of getting the current wife's approval. Taking a wife from the spoils of war also doesn't fall under the Law of Sarah. Sure, it would be great if the wife agreed or even offered, I suppose. But that doesn't mean she has to, obviously. I'm pretty sure that the law of Sarah doesn't apply to a widower seeking a second wife either, do you think?

That may very well be true. I would say that the Law of Sarah was not the only law that governs polygamy.
I agree the Law of Sarah wasn't the only law to govern polygamy. Section 132 says there's more to explain on the subject, but it was never revealed.
But let's remember the original question: why would Joseph Smith be condemned but Abraham wouldn't.
I don't think marrying your deceased brother's wife falls under the law of Sarah. No mention of getting the current wife's approval.
No, it would fall under the Law of Moses. Neither Abraham nor JS is subject to this
Taking a wife from the spoils of war also doesn't fall under the Law of Sarah.
I'm not familiar with this ever being a commandment anywhere. Maybe you could cite the source on this?
Sure, it would be great if the wife agreed or even offered, I suppose. But that doesn't mean she has to, obviously.
Here's the text giving the law, and conditions upon polygamy is justified, and not adultery:
"And again, as pertaining to the law of the
priesthood—if any man espouse a virgin, and desire to espouse another, and the first give her consent, and if he espouse the second, and they are virgins, and have vowed to no other man, then is he justified;"

1. The woman is a virgin.
2. The first wife must give her consent.
3. The woman is vowed to no other man.

Here is where Abraham was justified and JS wasn't.

The addendum to the law of Sarah is here:

65 Therefore, it shall be lawful in me, if she receive not this law, for him to receive all things whatsoever I, the Lord his God, will give unto him, because she did not believe and administer unto him according to my word; and she then becomes the transgressor; and he is exempt from the law of Sarah, who administered unto Abraham according to the law when I commanded Abraham to take Hagar to wife.
66 And now, as pertaining to this law, verily, verily, I say unto you, I will reveal more unto you, hereafter; therefore, let this suffice for the present...

My understanding of this is it must be commanded by God and according to his word.
This is where we just have to leave it up to the individual and God, that there's really no absolutes. If JS was being deceived then it's on him, but if not, then all those condemned JS stand condemned.

And yet, I also stand form in the belief that when that truth is clearly demonstrated to our minds, we have the right to embrace it. And if it's declared the word of God, which is made pertinent to our salvation, we have the right to receive spiritual confirmation.

I don't believe a spouse should covet their own spouse, of love their spouse over obeying God's command. So I can see where it would be a great trial of faith to the benefit of the individual.
At the same time, I also see where a priesthood holder could abuse his power, and get easily deceived with no check and balance in place.

In the case of Fanny Alger, whether inspired or not, JS made a mistake in how he implemented this practice.

I'm pretty sure that the law of Sarah doesn't apply to a widower seeking a second wife either, do you think?
All I can say is ask, seek, and knock. I've heard stories of spouses communing beyond the veil. I imagine that if I'm faced with that situation, I'll be doing my best to find someone my wife would get along with and imagine she'd approve of. I believe the law is wisdom for our eternal happiness.

None of that changes the fact that Abraham was either an adulterer or a polygamist. In either case, Joseph and Abraham are in the same company. You have to make his love child go away for this not to be an issue. Joseph Smith has no children by anyone other than Emma.
There doesn’t need to be a child involved for it to be adultery.

I agree the Law of Sarah wasn't the only law to govern polygamy. Section 132 says there's more to explain on the subject, but it was never revealed.
I disagree. It's been under our nose the whole time. There are things that have yet to be revealed though some of these are obvious as well. Some people refuse to see.
But let's remember the original question: why would Joseph Smith be condemned but Abraham wouldn't.
Two things, One, I don't remember that question. Did you just make it up? Joseph Smith practiced polygamy. He didn't practise the law of Sarah, Neither did Isaac or Jacob or Moses or David or Solomon or the thousands of Israelitish men who practiced it, one of which, very likely, could have been Jesus himself.
No, it would fall under the Law of Moses. Neither Abraham nor JS is subject to this
The law of Moses didn't exist in Abraham's day. However, the purpose the Law of Sarah fulfilled is not much different. It was simply one justification. It was based upon the reasonable grounds that the woman was apparently barren and couldn't provide an heir for her husband. The only difference was Sarah saw the value in it. It appears that Abraham was reluctant. In the Law of Moses, it was codified but served the same purpose.
I'm not familiar with this ever being a commandment anywhere. Maybe you could cite the source on this?
"but the women and the little ones, the livestock, and everything else in the city, all its spoil, you shall take as plunder for yourselves. And you shall enjoy the spoil of your enemies, which the LORD your God has given you. (Duet 20:14)"

"When you go out to war against your enemies, and the LORD your God gives them into your hand and you take them captive, and you see among the captives a beautiful woman, and you desire to take her to be your wife, and you bring her home to your house, she shall shave her head and pare her nails. And she shall take off the clothes in which she was captured and shall remain in your house and lament her father and her mother a full month. After that you may go in to her and be her husband, and she shall be your wife." (Deut 21:10-13)

There is no stipulation that they need must be single or need to confer with their current wife.
Here's the text giving the law, and conditions upon polygamy is justified, and not adultery
Again, like the law of Sarah, there are many facets of legal polygamy and where it is legal, it is not adultery.
"And again, as pertaining to the law of the
priesthood—if any man espouse a virgin, and desire to espouse another, and the first give her consent, and if he espouse the second, and they are virgins, and have vowed to no other man, then is he justified;"
Where do you see in this statement that any of this is the only way? That is just one way. As I have pointed out, Where there was no requirement to get the first wife's consent. I just showed you two that don't require it. I don't see anything in that law that specifies that if the wife doesn't give her consent, or even if the second wife is not a virgin, plural marriage would be considered adultery. Clearly, that wouldn't be the case when someone is marrying his brother's widow. You are looking at one thread of a very complex situation. I think we can safely assume that Hagar was a virgin and certainly wasn't given to anyone else. But, as you can see, the virginity check and permission clause were not part of the law that Moses codified. In addition, in the circumstances of war and its spoils, there was no guarantee that the woman was a virgin. Neither is required. It is just one facet of justified polygamy. Here's another, If God tells you to practice polygamy, it doesn't matter what your wife has to say about it.
1. The woman is a virgin.
Not required. :rolleyes:
2. The first wife must give her consent.
3. The woman is vowed to no other man.
I don't know what "vowed" means in this context. Does it mean married or betrothed? Does it mean for this life alone or for eternity? D&C 132 only describes one form of justified polygamy, not the whole law. Obviously, Joseph wrote it after he had been practicing it, you don't think he was stupid enough to condemn himself did you? He would have violated all of these and yet, after it was written, the leaders of the church went right along not paying attention to any of that. One law trumps all. If God commands it, then it doesn't matter what your wife has to say about it.

I might also add, that if God condemns it, then it doesn't matter what your wife has to say about it. We don't know the circumstances around Abraham's practice with Hagar and his wife. I suppose that Sarah offered Hagar in hopes of providing an heir. It was the custom at the time or at least it was not seen as unusual especially of someone with Abraham's standing. I think he rejected it but eventually, Sarah hounded him enough about it that he finally went to God to inquire about it. So, IMO, Sarah gave her consent but that wasn't enough for Abraham who was a very good man. Having brought it before the Lord, Abraham only gave in when the Lord commanded it and yet, I believe he went along with it reluctantly predicting the outcome which turned out exactly how he thought it would. Abraham obviously wanted his heir to be the child of his first love, Sarah. It seems that after that heir was born, he willingly accepted more wives and we have no idea what Sarah thought about it or if those other wives were virgins but I highly doubt that any of them were someone else's wife.

So, I suspect that the vowed to no other man was in terms of eternal marriage and the husband was still alive. In fact, I believe that's the basis for all marriages.
Here is where Abraham was justified and JS wasn't.
Wrong. Both men were commanded by God to accept and practice plural marriage.

I disagree. It's been under our nose the whole time. There are things that have yet to be revealed though some of these are obvious as well. Some people refuse to see.
Ummm...ok. Do you have a source?
Two things, One, I don't remember that question. Did you just make it up?
Did you read the OP? That's where the question came from.

Joseph Smith practiced polygamy. He didn't practise the law of Sarah,
Yeah, that's my point.
Neither did Isaac or Jacob or Moses or David or Solomon or the thousands of Israelitish men who practiced it, one of which, very likely, could have been Jesus himself.
There is not evidence Issac, Moses, or Jesus were polygamists.
Jacob (Israel) was deceived by Laban.
Jacob 2:24 says David and Solomon's polygamy was abominable.

The law of Moses didn't exist in Abraham's day.
Correct.
However, the purpose the Law of Sarah fulfilled is not much different. It was simply one justification. It was based upon the reasonable grounds that the woman was apparently barren and couldn't provide an heir for her husband. The only difference was Sarah saw the value in it. It appears that Abraham was reluctant.
Actually, it was a lack of faith on Sarah's part, and it led to negative consequences, causing the warfare we see in the Middle East to this day.

In the Law of Moses, it was codified but served the same purpose.
What was codified, where?

"but the women and the little ones, the livestock, and everything else in the city, all its spoil, you shall take as plunder for yourselves. And you shall enjoy the spoil of your enemies, which the LORD your God has given you. (Duet 20:14)"

"When you go out to war against your enemies, and the LORD your God gives them into your hand and you take them captive, and you see among the captives a beautiful woman, and you desire to take her to be your wife, and you bring her home to your house, she shall shave her head and pare her nails. And she shall take off the clothes in which she was captured and shall remain in your house and lament her father and her mother a full month. After that you may go in to her and be her husband, and she shall be your wife." (Deut 21:10-13) There is no stipulation that they need must be single or need to confer with their current wife.
Well, I'm not sure how that aligns with Deut 7:3, but regardless both Abraham and Joseph were not under the Law of Moses.
Again, like the law of Sarah, there are many facets of legal polygamy and where it is legal, it is not adultery.
Ok. Can you identify them that applies to Abraham or Joseph Smith?

Where do you see in this statement that any of this is the only way? That is just one way. As I have pointed out, Where there was no requirement to get the first wife's consent. I just showed you two that don't require it. I don't see anything in that law that specifies that if the wife doesn't give her consent, or even if the second wife is not a virgin, plural marriage would be considered adultery. Clearly, that wouldn't be the case when someone is marrying his brother's widow.
Ok. First, you're quoting the Mosaic Law, which was done away.
Second, is there another Section other than 132 where members of the Church authorizes polygamy?
You are looking at one thread of a very complex situation. I think we can safely assume that Hagar was a virgin and certainly wasn't given to anyone else. But, as you can see, the virginity check and permission clause were not part of the law that Moses codified. In addition, in the circumstances of war and its spoils, there was no guarantee that the woman was a virgin. Neither is required. It is just one facet of justified polygamy. Here's another, If God tells you to practice polygamy, it doesn't matter what your wife has to say about it.
Again, my focus in on the question presented in the OP. Joseph Smith would not be justified by the Law of Moses, in war, or taking spoils.
The conditions for justifiable polygamy are stated in Section 132.
If there are other conditions, the Church has not shared them with us.

So we can simply throw the D&C under the bus, and use the Old Testament as historical precedent?
If so, what value is modern day revelation when it can be dismissed at will at any time?

I don't know what "vowed" means in this context. Does it mean married or betrothed? Does it mean for this life alone or for eternity?
I'm just quoting the text. Go ask your local church leader.
Joseph Smith married women that we already married also, but I'm thinking that's more like the law of adoption.
D&C 132 only describes one form of justified polygamy, not the whole law.
Then please cite the whole law directed specifically to the LDS, especially when the Book of Mormon condemns polygamy.
Are you suggesting the Old Testament rituals and policy still applicable to us today?
Is it pick and choose what commandments to keep or break?
Again, was there another revelation Joseph Smith and/or Brigham Young used to justify polygamy?
Obviously, Joseph wrote it after he had been practicing it, you don't think he was stupid enough to condemn himself did you?
I can't answer that question. There's not enough evidence to support one way or another.
He would have violated all of these and yet, after it was written, the leaders of the church went right along not paying attention to any of that. One law trumps all. If God commands it, then it doesn't matter what your wife has to say about it.
Yeah, that's kinda the whole problem. And what happened? (<-rhetorical question) The ways of the Church were hedged up until they were forced to give up the practice.
I might also add, that if God condemns it, then it doesn't matter what your wife has to say about it. We don't know the circumstances around Abraham's practice with Hagar and his wife. I suppose that Sarah offered Hagar in hopes of providing an heir. It was the custom at the time or at least it was not seen as unusual especially of someone with Abraham's standing. I think he rejected it but eventually, Sarah hounded him enough about it that he finally went to God to inquire about it. So, IMO, Sarah gave her consent but that wasn't enough for Abraham who was a very good man. Having brought it before the Lord, Abraham only gave in when the Lord commanded it and yet, I believe he went along with it reluctantly predicting the outcome which turned out exactly how he thought it would. Abraham obviously wanted his heir to be the child of his first love, Sarah.
I'm not sure what evidence your using to draw this drawn out story. All I see is:
Gen 16:
3 And Sarai Abram’s wife took Hagar her maid the Egyptian, after Abram had dwelt ten years in the land of Canaan, and gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife.
4 ¶ And he went in unto Hagar, and she conceived: and when she saw that she had conceived, her mistress was despised in her eyes.

This isn't much different than Eve saying "partake of the fruit" and Adam obeying Eve instead of obeying God's command. The difference is Abraham knew about prayer, Adam didn't.

It seems that after that heir was born, he willingly accepted more wives and we have no idea what Sarah thought about it or if those other wives were virgins but I highly doubt that any of them were someone else's wife.
Huh? After Sarah died Abraham married Keturah. That's it.
Where are you getting other wives more than this?
So, I suspect that the vowed to no other man was in terms of eternal marriage and the husband was still alive. In fact, I believe that's the basis for all marriages.
Or, we don't need to do mental gymnastics, D&C 132 means exactly what it says, and JS and others simply blew it off.

Wrong. Both men were commanded by God to accept and practice plural marriage.
Or Joseph Smith was deceived in this area, circumstance forced a correction, and an illustration of the lessons taught to this day regarding personal revelation, and righteous dominion.

“Mormonism is truth; and every man who embraces it feels himself at liberty to embrace every truth: consequently the shackles of superstition, bigotry, ignorance, and priestcraft, fall at once from his neck; and his eyes are opened to see the truth, and truth greatly prevails over priestcraft. …

“… Mormonism is truth, in other words the doctrine of the Latter-day Saints, is truth. … The first and fundamental principle of our holy religion is, that we believe that we have a right to embrace all, and every item of truth, without limitation or without being circumscribed or prohibited by the creeds or superstitious notions of men, or by the dominations of one another, when that truth is clearly demonstrated to our minds, and we have the highest degree of evidence of the same.”

D&C 121:41 No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood, only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned;

Another alternative is Brigham Young doctored the records and made polygamy look like a thing when it really wasn't. (Hence, the Community of Christ doesn't believe in polygamy.) Still, the same lesson applies.

Did you read the OP? That's where the question came from.
No. It's not. You made the question up. I think anyone can see that the OP question is not the question you asked.
why would Joseph Smith be condemned but Abraham wouldn't.
This was your question.
This is the question in the OP. Can you see the difference? The OP claims that Abraham's and Joseph's actions require similar condemnation or exoneration. Yours assumes that Joseph should be condemned. The point of the OP, was that either way you look at it, either they both committed adultery or they both practiced polygamy at God's command, they are the same. Now, you might be like our critics and think that God gave no such command to Abraham and you certainly seem to question whether God gave Joseph any command on the subject. You, like our critics seem to think that Joseph was getting his jollies and said God told him to do it so he could act on his sexual weaknesses (correct me if I'm wrong).
Yeah, that's my point.
apparently, you're not getting my point. The law of Sarah has nothing to do with practicing polygamy. The fact that God commanded it does. Both Joseph and Abraham were commanded to practice it. Of course, if you don't believe our scriptures, then that statement has little force, but we believe, we in the church to believe that Joseph Smith was called of God and never fell, that God commanded both Abraham and Joseph Smith to practice polygamy. That's all there is to it. Now, as for the OP, this is not important. The fact is Abraham had sex with someone other than his wife and had a child by her. That fact continued through all the patriarchs. I don't think Jacob asked Leah for her permission to marry Rachel. So, they either had extramarital sex while they were married and that would make it adultery or they practiced polygamy and it wasn't adultery. The same scenario applies to Joseph. Either he practiced extramarital sex, and failed, making it adultery if we had proof of it (which we don't) or he practiced polygamy. In either case, if one condemns Joseph then they must also condemn Abraham. It's that simple.
There is not evidence Issac, Moses, or Jesus were polygamists.
Yes, there is. Your choice to ignore it doesn't mean there isn't evidence. This is the same lame excuse our critics use to avoid the evidence. The Bible clearly identifies a birth situation in Isaac's wife which simply doesn't happen, biologically. It is biologically improbable that the same mother would have a red-headed and later produce brunette children. Isaac wasn't a redhead. So the mother had to be. It's even far less likely that she would have twins, one a redhead and the other brunette. We simply don't have those details, but it appears, biologically, that Isaac got two women pregnant and they both had children on the same day with Esau being born only moments before Jacob.

You can argue that it's not evidence, but it is. It's apparent the Bible didn't record every single event or give accurate descriptions of them.

As for Jesus, there is the possibility that Mary and Martha were polygamist wives of his. The question has been asked, what were they doing in a house one sitting at his feet and the other complaining about the lack of help. What was Jesus' role? It appears, in that culture that he was either their husband or their master (one might say those two are the same).

None of that is proof, but it is evidence.

No. It's not. You made the question up. I think anyone can see that the OP question is not the question you asked.

This was your question.

This is the question in the OP. Can you see the difference? The OP claims that Abraham's and Joseph's actions require similar condemnation or exoneration. Yours assumes that Joseph should be condemned. The point of the OP, was that either way you look at it, either they both committed adultery or they both practiced polygamy at God's command, they are the same. Now, you might be like our critics and think that God gave no such command to Abraham and you certainly seem to question whether God gave Joseph any command on the subject. You, like our critics seem to think that Joseph was getting his jollies and said God told him to do it so he could act on his sexual weaknesses (correct me if I'm wrong).

apparently, you're not getting my point. The law of Sarah has nothing to do with practicing polygamy. The fact that God commanded it does. Both Joseph and Abraham were commanded to practice it. Of course, if you don't believe our scriptures, then that statement has little force, but we believe, we in the church to believe that Joseph Smith was called of God and never fell, that God commanded both Abraham and Joseph Smith to practice polygamy. That's all there is to it. Now, as for the OP, this is not important. The fact is Abraham had sex with someone other than his wife and had a child by her. That fact continued through all the patriarchs. I don't think Jacob asked Leah for her permission to marry Rachel. So, they either had extramarital sex while they were married and that would make it adultery or they practiced polygamy and it wasn't adultery. The same scenario applies to Joseph. Either he practiced extramarital sex, and failed, making it adultery if we had proof of it (which we don't) or he practiced polygamy. In either case, if one condemns Joseph then they must also condemn Abraham. It's that simple.

Yes, there is. Your choice to ignore it doesn't mean there isn't evidence. This is the same lame excuse our critics use to avoid the evidence. The Bible clearly identifies a birth situation in Isaac's wife which simply doesn't happen, biologically. It is biologically improbable that the same mother would have a red-headed and later produce brunette children. Isaac wasn't a redhead. So the mother had to be. It's even far less likely that she would have twins, one a redhead and the other brunette. We simply don't have those details, but it appears, biologically, that Isaac got two women pregnant and they both had children on the same day with Esau being born only moments before Jacob.

You can argue that it's not evidence, but it is. It's apparent the Bible didn't record every single event or give accurate descriptions of them.

As for Jesus, there is the possibility that Mary and Martha were polygamist wives of his. The question has been asked, what were they doing in a house one sitting at his feet and the other complaining about the lack of help. What was Jesus' role? It appears, in that culture that he was either their husband or their master (one might say those two are the same).

None of that is proof, but it is evidence.

Your attempt to paint Christ as a polygamist to back up your mis-guided rationalizations about Joseph Smith is pathetic.

But there does have to be sex. With Abraham, we know they had sex because they had a child. So such evidence exists where Joseph Smith is concerned.
Actually, there Is. The personal statements of his wives. And the witnesses who saw him in the act, or loaned their beds/bedrooms to him and his wives for their secret rendezvous when Emma wasn’t around.

Jacob (Israel) was deceived by Laban.
So? Does that give him license to pick another wife without regard to the one he already has? Please tell me what difference it makes that Jacob was deceived? :rolleyes:
Jacob 2:24 says David and Solomon's polygamy was abominable.
It was, but that doesn't mean God didn't give both of them their wives. There practice of an authorized and sanctioned marital relationship was an abomination. Surely, u realized that some monogamous legal marriages are an abomination to God in these modern days. If you have any questions about what might be considered an abomination to God and a monogamous relationship today just read the proclamation to the world about the family.

Your attempt to paint Christ as a polygamist to back up your mis-guided rationalizations about Joseph Smith is pathetic.
I wasn't attempting to rationalize anything. I was simply pointing out evidence. I'm not the one who discovered the evidence there are others who have and I tend to agree that there is a possibility that Jesus was a polygamist. Doesn't matter what your opinion about it is. It's still evidence.

Actually, there Is. The personal statements of his wives. And the witnesses who saw him in the act, or loaned their beds/bedrooms to him and his wives for their secret rendezvous when Emma wasn’t around.
That's called evidence. There is no proof. Learn the difference.

So? Does that give him license to pick another wife without regard to the one he already has? Please tell me what difference it makes that Jacob was deceived? :rolleyes:
Isaac married Leah on the terms that he would marry eventually marry Rebekah. If she changed the terms, she would essentially be the one reneging on the contract.
In Mormonism, each are married under their own free will and choice. Women are regarded as property as they were in the Old Testament. Technically, Emma should have been the second witness on polygamy, and Joseph should have been more open.
The commandment is to "cleave unto your wife and none else" (D&C 42:22-23) otherwise it's adultery. Not to far from the Law of Consecration. If polygamy be valid, it just shows us how much sacrifice is required relying wholly upon the merits of Christ. Yet, JS, like receiving the golden plates, needed to receive it free from "natural man" tendencies. If he did so, the secrecy and double talk might have been avoided, and he would have been martyred as an apostle with dignity, rather than trying to flee from his death. Now, I say this in the context of the ideal p- as a "Monday Morning Quarterback". I certainly cant judge JS, saying that I'd act any differently than he did given the situation. But I can say the way that polygamy was continued to be practiced did not live up to standard of 132, nor under "righteous dominion" as described in 121.
It was, but that doesn't mean God didn't give both of them their wives. There practice of an authorized and sanctioned marital relationship was an abomination. Surely, u realized that some monogamous legal marriages are an abomination to God in these modern days. If you have any questions about what might be considered an abomination to God and a monogamous relationship today just read the proclamation to the world about the family.
I'm a little confused on what your saying here. How can something be mutually authorized by God and an abomination?
I think this is why the key to having a fulness of light is seeking to glorify God. The marriages were not authorized by God, nor to glorify Him, but rather build political alliances with other countries. This is a misuse of what God had ordained.

Another alternative is Brigham Young doctored the records and made polygamy look like a thing when it really wasn't.
I'm stunned that you don't see a problem with this statement. I've made my points. I don't see anything in what you wrote that is worth responding to.

If you think there was a point I missed that needs some clarification, let me know.

Back