Can a convertible "deconvert" into a basic sedan? Can the 4th letter of the alphabet D-convert to the letter C?

stiggy wiggy

I guess I need to explain why I put "deconvert" in quotes. I touched a little on that a few days ago and in doing so I must have somehow expressed my thoughts in a manner contrary to CARM rules since it got me banned for five days. So I'm back in hopes that I can express my thoughts on the subject in a less offensive way.

Not approaching it this time from a theological position perhaps I can head off the hackneyed "no true Scotsman" responses. I will not be declaring a doctrine here, specifically that "if one 'deconverts' it is proof they never converted." I will however reiterate that merely changing an opinion is not a deconversion. The former involves a change of mind, the latter a change of essence. If a bullfrog decides that he is no longer a bullfrog he cannot deconvert to a tadpole.

I will only attempt here to explain why from my own experience it is very difficult for me to wrap my head around deconversion. I can however understand "I used to believe in God, but I no longer do," since as an agnostic I went through many changes of mind from agnostic to theist and back again. But that was mere mental assent. My heart remained hardened to a belief in a Personal God with Whom I could relate.

When I was 26 years old, I underwent a change that affected the entirety of my life, not just a change of mind akin to believing in life on other planets or some such. It was as if I awoke from a dream and for the first time faced a world vibrant with reality. It was like my previously black & white world had not only been colorized in a way that would put Ted Turner to shame, but it had elevated from 2D to 3D. The Light not only shone on the external world but on my inward world as well, illuminating all my sins and revealing the amazingness of the amazing grace that dealt with them. My suffering was not replaced by joy; it TURNED INTO joy. It still does. I suffer more now than I ever did before age 26, but I never knew then that the unspeakable joy which springs from such suffering and in which my life is now grounded was ever even possible.

OK, enough of that. I could go on and on trying but most likely failing at describing the impact of my conversion, but why give 5wize the opportunity for shallow mockery? I haven't even mentioned the PERSONAL touch of Jesus Christ as the ultimate cause of all I've typed. I'm not proselytizing here with any illusion that I can convert others. I just wanted y'all to understand why I find it hard to swallow these "deconversion" anecdotes. I do not doubt that one can change one's mind about Christianity. But to willingly choose to reject the Light of Christ which illuminates all that is, was or ever will be and to return to the dark dungeon of a corrupt and fallen world in which one detects no redemption, well, that seems to me to require a spiritual masochism, the existence of which I cannot fathom.

There's a lot more to a conversion than changing your mind about a theological doctrine. You can't think your way out of a rebirth any more than you can think your way out of your first birth. Sure, you can repress the Light (don't know why you'd want to) and you can even shake your puny fist at Him, and if so will have to deal with the consequences of a judgement worse than if you'd never been reborn, but I can't imagine why you would. It'd be like a freed slave cursing William Wilberforce. Why would he?

Can a convertible "deconvert" into a basic sedan? Can the 4th letter of the alphabet D-convert to the letter C?
I would say that if you can convert from one thing to another, then generally you can convert back again, or deconvert.

Can the letter D deconvert to the letter C? No. But neither can the letter C convert into the letter D.

Can a basic sedan get converted to a convertible? Sure, with a lot of metalwork. Can it be deconverted back again? Sure, but again it will take a lot of metal work.

Not approaching it this time from a theological position perhaps I can head off the hackneyed "no true Scotsman" responses. I will not be declaring a doctrine here, specifically that "if one 'deconverts' it is proof they never converted." I will however reiterate that merely changing an opinion is not a deconversion. The former involves a change of mind, the latter a change of essence. If a bullfrog decides that he is no longer a bullfrog he cannot deconvert to a tadpole.
Can an atheist "convert" to Christianity? If so, then the reverse process would seem to be "deconverting". If converting is a fundamental change, then the reverse must surely be just as world shaking ad fundamental, but in the opposite direction. If there is a change in essence when going from atheist to Christian, surely there much be when going the other way? Or do you suppose ex-Christians have that same essence they did as Christians?

Actually, your bullfrog analogy seems to be saying the ex-Christian does still have that same essence that a Christian does, so perhaps we see this in fundamentally different ways. To me an atheist has the same "essence" (without getting into what that means) whether he was always an atheist or was once a Christian. You appear to be saying that an ex-Christian atheist has a very different "essence" to an always-atheist.

I would say that if you can convert from one thing to another, then generally you can convert back again, or deconvert.

So you think that since a kid ultimately converts to an adult, he can deconvert back to a kid. Bet you wish you could deconvert that thought to one that was rational.

Can the letter D deconvert to the letter C? No. But neither can the letter C convert into the letter D.

Correct. Thanks for bolstering my point.

Can a basic sedan get converted to a convertible? Sure, with a lot of metalwork.

Nah. Just take the top off.

Can an atheist "convert" to Christianity? If so, then the reverse process would seem to be "deconverting". If converting is a fundamental change, then the reverse must surely be just as world shaking ad fundamental, but in the opposite direction.

Not if the direction is irreversible, e.g. maggot to fruit fly, toothpaste into toothpaste tube, whore to virgin, Christian to atheist.

If there is a change in essence when going from atheist to Christian, surely there much be when going the other way?

"Surely?" How so? Does this mean that there is SURELY a way OJ can go back to being a non-murderer?

Or do you suppose ex-Christians have that same essence they did as Christians?

Pay attention. I am disputing the very existence of ex-Christians.

Actually, your bullfrog analogy seems to be saying the ex-Christian .......

How can I be saying something about something I don't believe exists?

So you think that since a kid ultimately converts to an adult, he can deconvert back to a kid. Bet you wish you could deconvert that thought to one that was rational.
Do you think that is analogous? You seem to be thinking that once a person converts from atheism to Christianity then it is impossible to go back to being an atheist, just as it is impossible to go back to being a kid. I think your analogy is flawed, because it is possible to go from Christian to atheist.

Nah. Just take the top off.
That would make an open-top car, but not a convertible. To make your sedan into a convertible you need to add a way to retract the roof.

Not if the direction is irreversible, e.g. maggot to fruit fly, toothpaste into toothpaste tube, whore to virgin, Christian to atheist.
But that is not the case here. Sometimes Christians become atheists. Sometime atheists become Christians. We are talking about a reversible process.

"Surely?" How so? Does this mean that there is SURELY a way OJ can go back to being a non-murderer?
Right. So not analogous to this, given Christians can become atheists and atheists become Christians

Pay attention. I am disputing the very existence of ex-Christians.
I must admit I had missed that. So what are you saying is the actual case for someone who thinks he was a Christian, and now thinks he is an atheist? Do you think he was never a Christian? You seems to be distancing yourself from that in the OP: "I will not be declaring a doctrine here, specifically that "if one 'deconverts' it is proof they never converted."

So are you saying he is still a Christian? Or something new altogether?

In the light of your post, I have gone back to the OP, and all I see is your opinion that no one would ever want to leave Christianity. But that does not change the stark reality that sometimes people do.

Or are you arguing for pretending it does not happen?

How can I be saying something about something I don't believe exists?
Maybe you need to wake up to reality, stiggy. Sometime people stop being Christians.

Do you think that is analogous? You seem to be thinking that once a person converts from atheism to Christianity then it is impossible to go back to being an atheist, just as it is impossible to go back to being a kid.

Correct. I do indeed think that.

I think your analogy is flawed, because it is possible to go from Christian to atheist.

No.

That would make an open-top car, but not a convertible. To make your sedan into a convertible you need to add a way to retract the roof.

Correct. It needs a complete overhaul. An ESSENTIAL alteration.

But that is not the case here. Sometimes Christians become atheists.

Never.

Sometime atheists become Christians.

Correct.

Right. So not analogous to this, given Christians can become atheists

Not possible.

and atheists become Christians

Yes.

I must admit I had missed that. So what are you saying is the actual case for someone who thinks he was a Christian, and now thinks he is an atheist? Do you think he was never a Christian?

Correct.

You seems to be distancing yourself from that in the OP: "I will not be declaring a doctrine here, specifically that "if one 'deconverts' it is proof they never converted."

Obviously no distancing at all. I never discussed it. In fact, you just now picked up on it.

In the light of your post, I have gone back to the OP, and all I see is your opinion that no one would ever want to leave Christianity.

Correct. You are now admitting that you were initially not a careful reader.

But that does not change the stark reality that sometimes people do.

They sometimes change their opinion. But Christianity is not a matter of opinion.

Or are you arguing for pretending it does not happen?

Pretending? No.

Maybe you need to wake up to reality, stiggy. Sometime people stop being Christians.

No, They stop giving mental assent to the truth of Christianity.

Correct. I do indeed think that.

No.

Correct. It needs a complete overhaul. An ESSENTIAL alteration.

Never.

Correct.

Not possible.

Yes.

Correct.

Obviously no distancing at all. I never discussed it. In fact, you just now picked up on it.

Correct. You are now admitting that you were initially not a careful reader.

They sometimes change their opinion. But Christianity is not a matter of opinion.

Pretending? No.

No, They stop giving mental assent to the truth of Christianity.
Okay, you seem determined to give only the most unhelpful and sarcastic replies to my comments, rather than make your position clear. I will leave you to wallow in your obfuscation on your own.

Okay, you seem determined to give only the most unhelpful and sarcastic replies to my comments,

Wrong. It is virtually impossible to add sarcasm to one word replies such as "Correct," "No," "Never," and "Yes."

rather than make your position clear. I will leave you to wallow in your obfuscation on your own.

Do not confuse your being so easily obfuscated by one word, to-the-point replies with my supposed obfuscating.

Implicit, here, is an idea that going to Christianity is a one-way process.

Correct. Justification for idea discussed in detail in OP.

Rejected.

Rejection however, not discussed in any detail at all.

Without offering anything in support...

Other than these six paragraphs:

I guess I need to explain why I put "deconvert" in quotes. I touched a little on that a few days ago and in doing so I must have somehow expressed my thoughts in a manner contrary to CARM rules since it got me banned for five days. So I'm back in hopes that I can express my thoughts on the subject in a less offensive way.

I will only attempt here to explain why from my own experience it is very difficult for me to wrap my head around deconversion. I can however understand "I used to believe in God, but I no longer do," since as an agnostic I went through many changes of mind from agnostic to theist and back again. But that was mere mental assent. My heart remained hardened to a belief in a Personal God with Whom I could relate.

When I was 26 years old, I underwent a change that affected the entirety of my life, not just a change of mind akin to believing in life on other planets or some such. It was as if I awoke from a dream and for the first time faced a world vibrant with reality. It was like my previously black & white world had not only been colorized in a way that would put Ted Turner to shame, but it had elevated from 2D to 3D. The Light not only shone on the external world but on my inward world as well, illuminating all my sins and revealing the amazingness of the amazing grace that dealt with them. My suffering was not replaced by joy; it TURNED INTO joy. It still does. I suffer more now than I ever did before age 26, but I never knew then that the unspeakable joy which springs from such suffering and in which my life is now grounded was ever even possible.

OK, enough of that. I could go on and on trying but most likely failing at describing the impact of my conversion, but why give 5wize the opportunity for shallow mockery? I haven't even mentioned the PERSONAL touch of Jesus Christ as the ultimate cause of all I've typed. I'm not proselytizing here with any illusion that I can convert others. I just wanted y'all to understand why I find it hard to swallow these "deconversion" anecdotes. I do not doubt that one can change one's mind about Christianity. But to willingly choose to reject the Light of Christ which illuminates all that is, was or ever will be and to return to the dark dungeon of a corrupt and fallen world in which one detects no redemption, well, that seems to me to require a spiritual masochism, the existence of which I cannot fathom.

There's a lot more to a conversion than changing your mind about a theological doctrine. You can't think your way out of a rebirth any more than you can think your way out of your first birth. Sure, you can repress the Light (don't know why you'd want to) and you can even shake your puny fist at Him, and if so will have to deal with the consequences of a judgement worse than if you'd never been reborn, but I can't imagine why you would. It'd be like a freed slave cursing William Wilberforce. Why would he?

Oh. That's a great point. I never thought of it that way. Very convincing argument.

MODS: It's too late for me to edit this OP away. But now that 8crackers has so thoroughly refuted it, can you do it for me?
That which is asserted without evidence can be rejected without evidence.

There is nothing to refute; you merely keep asserting that non-Christian to Christian is a type of change that's not reversible.

Back