Christianity: Friend or foe to science?

Correction, rather ignorant zealot.
Evolution results in ignorant zealots. We wouldn't have them otherwise.
Evolve implies change over time
Correct.
Form implies construction, arrangement.
That's form as a noun. I'm using form as a verb and a synonym for evolve.
Not the same.
They are now.
As to the rest of your religious rant, nothing of substance.
No matter how much I rant religiously, evolution is still a fact.
What is amazing is that you possess more faith than the average Christian. In fact you possess more faith than me.
It doesn't matter at all. No matter how much faith I have, evolution is still a fact.
I would never believe in a pseudo science theory that is absent of any hard science.
It doesn't matter what fools you, evolution is still part of reality.

Everyone knows what brainwashing is, right?

Tell me again!

It doesn't matter at all. No matter how much faith I have, evolution is still a fact.

Preach it, brother!

Can I get an 'amen'?!

One more time!

Tell us, bro!

C'mon, one more time!

Hey, I want to be brainwashed, keep repeating it over and over again!

Google “evidence for evolution,” and you’ll find endless pages, more than you can read in a lifetime.
The evolutionist claim is that evolution is the effect and descent with modification through NS is the cause. There exist no evolutionist publication that shows a scientific model that explains how 'descent with modification through NS' operates using terms found in nature.

Let’s keep it simple.

Science model for making Baklava.

• 1 (16 ounce) package phyllo dough

• 1 pound chopped nuts

• 1 cup butter

• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

• 1 cup water

• 1 cup white sugar

• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

• 1/2 cup honey

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F(175 degrees C).

• Butter the bottoms and sides of a 9x13 inch pan.

• Chop nuts and toss with cinnamon. Set aside.

• Unroll phyllo dough. Cut whole stack in half to fit pan. Cover phyllo with a dampened cloth to keep from drying out as you work.

• Place two sheets of dough in pan, butter thoroughly. Repeat until you have 8 sheets layered. Sprinkle 2 - 3 tablespoons of nut mixture on top.

• Top with two sheets of dough, butter, nuts, layering as you go.

• The top layer should be about 6 - 8 sheets deep.

• Using a sharp knife cut into diamond or square shapes all the way to the bottom of the pan.

• Bake for about 50 minutes until baklava is golden and crisp.

• Boil sugar and water until sugar is melted.

• Add vanilla and honey.

• Simmer for about 20 minutes.

• Remove baklava from oven and immediately spoon sauce over it.

• Let cool.

The above scientific model when follows will always produce Baklava, anywhere in the world at any time. It also explains the origin of any finding of Baklava anywhere at any time. Notice the terms are found in nature.

Evolutionist terms vs terms found in nature.
package of dough =16oz package of dough
butter = one cup of butter
hot = 35 degrees
large = 9x13 inch
time = 50 minutes

A sample pastry recipe contains more science than the theory of evolution.

That's form as a noun. I'm using form as a verb and a synonym for evolve.
You don't get to deicide how I use a term. Proper scholarship and common manners dictates one to ask.

Here is the funny part. You have produce nothing that supports evolution as a fact. All you post is your religious rants. If evolution is true and you had the slightest grasp of it, you might attempt to explain DNA's complex and specified information.

Reactions: Mik
I don’t believe Behe cited the cell specifically as being IC. He cited the bacterial flagellum and blood-clotting cascades. However, no one doubts that the cell is immensely complex, and of course we don’t know how the cell evolved. We do know that evolution takes place however — we have a mountain of evidence for evolution taking place at both the genotypic and phenotypic levels — and so arguments that “the cell is too complex to have evolved” are nothing more than arguments to personal incredulity. Such arguments have no purchase. Moreover, by your own words, you reject evolution in toto, despite the mountain of evidence for it, so pointing to the complexity of the cell is really a side issue.

Yes, exaptation, noted above.

You need to simmer down. The only making snide remarks and hurling insults here is you. I have not insulted you even once, and have treated you with respect, though I have not treated with respect your bizarre views. Perhaps you think that anyone who disagrees with you is personally insulting you, but in fact that is not the case.

You’e insulted me plenty of times, including in this very post, and yet it rolls off of me like water off a duck’s back. I expect that fact spurs you on to even greater insults, alas.

I’m not giving you an assignment — I’m in no position to do that. You say you’e been there, done that, but if so, it didn’t take.

“Advantageous” is not a word used in evolutionary theory, because what provides a benefit in one environment may be detrimental in a different one. The concept of an “advantage” is therefore relative and not absolute.

Biologists don’t “believe” in evolution. They have learned that it is a fact, and have built a consilient theory, supported by multiple lines of independent inquiry, to explain that fact. The theory could easily be falsified — find rabbit remains in the Cambrian, for example — but no such falsification has been forthcoming to date.

No scientist today believes in geocentrism, but it’s funny you should raise this, as you must know perfectly well that Galileo was hounded by the church for espousing heliocentrism. But then again, you don’t think Catholics are Christians, so there is that. The point, however, is that petty much everyone, prior to Copernicus, embraced geocentrism, and Ptolemy’s calculations showing geocentrism were embraced for some 1,500 years as a perfectly competent navigation tool. But when it became evident that heliocentrisn was correct, it was religious authorities who tried to suppress this fact.

It does not seem false to me. You seem very, very angry to me.

“Foul-smelling desperation” … no, no personal insults from you. And yes, your anger is there for all to see, including in this very post to which I am responding. And BTW, when it comes to insults, how insulting do you think it is to evolutionary biologists and other scientists to tell them they are all wrong without even attempting to explain why? And how insulting do you think it is to Catholics to tell then they are Christian “in name only?” I was raised Catholic and Catholics would find that charge very insulting as well as demonstrably false.

It does. It has been observed in the lab and in the wild, and we have a mountain of fossil evidence and molecular biological evidence to support it. We have a full account of the transition of land mammal to whale, as noted above, among many other ecxamples.

It does.

Yes. The pattern is called projection on your part. I am merely calmly stating facts, and defending my position, while you are inexplicably ranting and raving at me, including in this very post,

Projection.

Nope, no anger or personal. insults from you! :p

Projection.

OK.

Actually, they are predominantly neutral.

“Advantageous” is not a biological term, but a term of your own manufacture. A small number of mutations (copying errors) prove to spread through the population via more offspring. Those small numbers in general will be the ones to continue spreading while the deleterious mutations are weeded out, though sometimes even deleterious mutations will go to fixation via drift.

If you say so.

Nope, no personal insults or anger from you.

So you say. You’re wrong. The frame-shift mutation in the nylon-eating bacteria and the subsequent result are well documented.

Of course you are.

Projection.

Projection.
Everything above contains zero science. It's all a religious testimonial.

In Origin of Species Darwin’s claims take the form of most major religions. As you read it you will encounter, ‘if’, ‘I believe’, ‘I think’, ‘perhaps’, ‘maybe’, ‘I suspect’, ‘on this view’, along with personifications, correlations, extrapolations, analogies, and metaphors –none of which is science. Natural Selection and Creation as any causal model stands or falls on its own merits, especially if it is a science model. Both fail as a science model because they both have nothing of nature in it. Both are testimonial links between cause and effect, operate by testimonial attributions made to it, cannot be used to do anything in nature, contain no science, and are an exercise of faith.

No, we can determine WHY, for the most part, they left more offspring.
And? Care to tell us.
But let me ask you a question, and feel free to answer or disregard. Rather, a couple of questions. Are you a biblical literalist, or a young earth creationist? If so, I can understand your opposition to evolution, But in that case, you must realize that ALL of science points to an ancient earth, and a universe of even greater antiquity: astronomy, physics, cosmology, geography, chemistry, all of it. So you’d be fighting a war against all of science, not just evolutionary biology.

If you are not a biblical literalist or a young earth creationist, I am curious to know why evolution would conflict with your faith. You have been stating that evolution is wrong because it lacks evidence, or that there is evidence against this. I strongly disagree with you on this, and have posted relevant rebuttals. But my final question is this: by hypothesis, suppose evolution is true. Why — if you are not a biblical literalist, or a young earth creationist — would the truth of evolution conflict with your religioius faith? Personally, I see no conflict between the two.
My objective here is not to argue for a supernatural origin of life, but to prove evolution false.
Now I have make multiple post, different topics, using scientific models and terms found in nature, to which you have produce noting of science in any rebuttal. Notice the above. From your post I can conclude that you have more faith in the supernatural than I do.

To Towerwatchan:

What I’m asking you, simply, is this: Do you think the propositions “God exists” and “evolution is true” are mutually exclusive concepts? I can see how you would think that if you are a biblical literalist or a young earth creationist, but I don’t know whether you are or not. If you are not, I am honestly having a hard time understanding why you think the two above propositions are mutually exclusive, if you do actually think that.
My decision to follow Jesus Christ was not an emotional epiphany. It was a cerebral experience based on logic and reason. The inch or two that was not covered by logic and reason was then covered by faith.

"Evolution is true" is much in conflict with "God exist" as "Santa exist" vs "God exist." Both evolution and Santa are fairy tales. The difference is Santa is a child's fairy tale, vs evolution is an adult fairy tale.

Cytochrome?
Simon and Garfunkel, right?
I LOVE that song!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, though...

Let me tell you a story...

Before I retired, one of the courses I taught was Grade 12 biology. It included:
- metabolism - cellular respiration, glycolysis, Krebs, ETC, the energy molecules ATP, NADH, FADH2, etc. etc., photosynthesis, Calvin cycle, etc.;​
- molecular genetics - DNA replication, transcription, and translation, and all the enzymes that controlled these processes;​
- endocrine pathways - pituitary, hypothalamus, female reproduction enzyme pathways (lactation & labour), thyroid metabolism, liver metabolism;​
- evolution

So three units that showcased in the immense complexity of human systems, and then a unit for "evolution", which teaches the development of species from mutations. Well, I wasn't surprised when a few years back they moved the evolution unit to Grade 11, and replaced it with Populations in grade 12. It removed the awkward juxtaposition of ideas.
It is refreshing to have someone who understands what is being posted and or defended. Sadly over the years many posters who had a grasp on the material were replaced by clueless individuals that parrot what they read.

BTW. In one of your post you mentioned Kreb. I had a midterm in which I had to draw and explain the Krebs cycle. That was a head spinner.

Exactly.
Creating the "form" of DNA requires helicase, gyrase, primase, polymerase III, polymerase I, and ligase (all of which presuppose the existence of DNA).

"Evolution" of DNA needs to start from a point when DNA hasn't yet existed.
At 100 degrees C, adenine and guanine gave chemical half-lives of only about one year, uracil has a half-life of twelve years, and cytosine a half-life of just nineteen days. Because these half-lives are so short, and because the evolutionary process would take so long especially for natural selection to find functional backbones by trial and error, ‘a high temperature origin of life involving these compounds is unlikely. Also note that, of the four required bases, cytosine has a short half-life even at low temperatures. It would have been especially difficult to synthesize adenine and cytosine at high temperatures and cytosine even at low temperatures.

BTW. In one of your post you mentioned Kreb. I had a midterm in which I had to draw and explain the Krebs cycle. That was a head spinner.

My students always enjoyed this video on the Citric Acid Cycle:

Here's his video on Glycolysis:
"Glycolysis! C'mon, sugar, c'mon sugar for the breakdown..."

He's a bit heavy and concentrated on the lyrics, but the songs are catchy.

Glycolysis reminds me of an incident.... I was flipping channels one day, and in the online TV listings there was a show called, "The DNA of G3P". I was intrigued, and wanted to watch the DNA origins of G3P production. Well, it turns out I read the TV listing wrong.

It was actually, "The DNA of GSP", a documentary on UFC superstar GSP, 'Georges St. Pierre". Well, as a big UFC fan, and a Canadian, I really enjoyed the documentary.

I'd still love to see a documentary on G3P however...

You can talk about a clueless zealot passing himself off as knowledgeable all you want. Evolution still happens.

Both form and evolve are the same thing.

Most scientists who have studied DNA see it as some of the best evidence for evolution. If DNA is a language, then it's telling us about our evolution.

No matter how many evolutionists chase their tales, evolution is still a fact.
If evolution is a scientific fact, then there should exist a scientific model, using terms found in nature showing how evolution works. 160+ years since "The Origin of Species" and no one has been able to produce a scientific model. It's all science and terms found in nature free testimonials.

For example and let's keep it simple.

Science model for making Baklava.

• 1 (16 ounce) package phyllo dough

• 1 pound chopped nuts

• 1 cup butter

• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

• 1 cup water

• 1 cup white sugar

• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

• 1/2 cup honey

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F(175 degrees C).

• Butter the bottoms and sides of a 9x13 inch pan.

• Chop nuts and toss with cinnamon. Set aside.

• Unroll phyllo dough. Cut whole stack in half to fit pan. Cover phyllo with a dampened cloth to keep from drying out as you work.

• Place two sheets of dough in pan, butter thoroughly. Repeat until you have 8 sheets layered. Sprinkle 2 - 3 tablespoons of nut mixture on top.

• Top with two sheets of dough, butter, nuts, layering as you go.

• The top layer should be about 6 - 8 sheets deep.

• Using a sharp knife cut into diamond or square shapes all the way to the bottom of the pan.

• Bake for about 50 minutes until baklava is golden and crisp.

• Boil sugar and water until sugar is melted.

• Add vanilla and honey.

• Simmer for about 20 minutes.

• Remove baklava from oven and immediately spoon sauce over it.

• Let cool.

The above scientific model when follows will always produce Baklava, anywhere in the world at any time. It also explains the origin of any finding of Baklava anywhere at any time. Notice the terms are found in nature.

Evolutionist terms vs terms found in nature.
package of dough =16oz package of dough
butter = one cup of butter
hot = 35 degrees
large = 9x13 inch
time = 50 minutes

A simple pastry recipe contains more science than the theory of evolution.

We know DNA had an origin...
I agree that DNA has an origin, of course. It's just unknown. If the future of science is anything like the past, though, and we ever discover that origin, then I'd bet my last dollar that it will be completely naturalistic. After all, in all the history of science, there's never been one example of anything that required a supernatural explanation. Not one.
Fraid so, the Big Bang.
...so unlike God it needs a cause.
If DNA needs a cause, then why make a special exception for God? Of course, I've already spent much time on this thread posting well-reasoned arguments that God does have an origin: He was created by crafty men who needed something to control the ignorant masses with.
Because He doesnt have a beginning. Christianity inspired one of the best revolutions in human history, the American Revolution. It has brought greater good than any other revolution.
You are only sure because it goes against your hatred of God and Christians.
I see we are feeling unloved. If so, then take a look at yourself to see why.
Actually you are the one that seems to be feeling unloved.
You dont want to have to admit that your preconceived ideas could be wrong just because of the maltreatment by a few biblically illiterate Christians towards you needs a scientific justification.
How many Christians need to exhibit antisocial ways until you wise up and see it all for the con that it is?
90% of Christians dont exhibit anitisocial behavior. In fact, Christians that attend church on a regular basis are happier and live longer than people who dont go to church regularly.

It seems that DNA is more important than you guys being as Jesus was in the Father! as God commands you to be in His same image that has no DNA at all, for Spirit that God is has no flesh, only disposition.

Fraid so, the Big Bang.
Apologists love the Big Bang because we don't completely understand it. Apologists then have a convenient gap of ignorance to stuff God into as a placeholder hoping that our ignorance will continue. Generally, claims like this of God and his miracles tend to put them into situations that are remote in space and time. Like in Star Wars, they are a long time ago and far, far away. As such, they are hard to check out and therefore relatively safe from scrutiny. That way many people can cling to those beliefs knowing that at least they are not proved false which keeps hope alive.

And like I've said, I'm confident that there is a physical basis to the Big Bang. There's nothing personal about the cosmos today, so why be so foolish as to think it ever was personal?
Because He doesnt have a beginning.
And how do you know that God has no beginning? That's very presumptuous considering that we have no records of your God going back only three thousand years or so.
Christianity inspired one of the best revolutions in human history, the American Revolution. It has brought greater good than any other revolution.
Did you ever hear of Thomas Paine and his work The Age of Reason? Thomas Paine "sparked" the American Revolution, and he wrote that he detested the Christian religion.

But there was no doubt some influence from Christianity on the American Revolution. I think that the founders condoning slavery resulted largely from the Bible.
Actually you are the one that seems to be feeling unloved.
Oh? Have you been reading some of the posts directed at me? So yes, I'm definitely feeling unloved which comes as no surprise to me. Note, though, that I'm not crying about any of it. I just continue to argue for truth, goodness,and reason.
90% of Christians dont exhibit anitisocial behavior.
Then the other 10 percent are on this board!
In fact, Christians that attend church on a regular basis are happier and live longer than people who dont go to church regularly.
Maybe, but think of all the money we non-church-goers save staying home.

Apologists love the Big Bang because we don't completely understand it. Apologists then have a convenient gap of ignorance to stuff God into as a placeholder hoping that our ignorance will continue. Generally, claims like this of God and his miracles tend to put them into situations that are remote in space and time. Like in Star Wars, they are a long time ago and far, far away. As such, they are hard to check out and therefore relatively safe from scrutiny. That way many people can cling to those beliefs knowing that at least they are not proved false which keeps hope alive.

And like I've said, I'm confident that there is a physical basis to the Big Bang. There's nothing personal about the cosmos today, so why be so foolish as to think it ever was personal?

And how do you know that God has no beginning? That's very presumptuous considering that we have no records of your God going back only three thousand years or so.

Did you ever hear of Thomas Paine and his work The Age of Reason? Thomas Paine "sparked" the American Revolution, and he wrote that he detested the Christian religion.

But there was no doubt some influence from Christianity on the American Revolution. I think that the founders condoning slavery resulted largely from the Bible.

Oh? Have you been reading some of the posts directed at me? So yes, I'm definitely feeling unloved which comes as no surprise to me. Note, though, that I'm not crying about any of it. I just continue to argue for truth, goodness,and reason.

Then the other 10 percent are on this board!

Maybe, but think of all the money we non-church-goers save staying home.
Either the big bang came from nothing, by nothing or through nothing, or it was a supernatural event.
We know the universe had a beginning. We also know that everything that comes into existence owes its existence to something else. Since the universe came into existence, what does it owe it’s existence to?

Either the big bang came from nothing, by nothing or through nothing...
I think that that is basically what happened although the words "from," "by," and "through" probably only have meaning in a universe that already exists. It's possible that we humans are simply not smart enough to fully understand the existence of the universe, and that explains why we have so much trouble wrapping our heads around the Big Bang and its giving birth to the world.
...or it was a supernatural event.
Appealing to "the supernatural" never really explained anything because it just trades one mystery for another. If we sit back and say that God's creating the world explains existence, then we are left with explaining God's existence not to mention his properties, an apparently impossible task. So rather than take a dead end like that I say let's keep trying to solve the mystery of existence using the methods of science.
We know the universe had a beginning.
Again, a "beginning" only makes sense in the context of a universe that already exists. Yes, the cosmos we currently observe had a beginning, but what we see is probably only part of the universe. In other words, the observed universe had a beginning, but a beginning probably doesn't sensibly apply to the cosmos as a whole.
We also know that everything that comes into existence owes its existence to something else.
That only applies to the existence of forms. The form of a wooden chair came into existence via a carpenter, her tools, and wood. She didn't make the chair out of nothing but made its form out of wood. As for things whose substance comes into existence, we know of no carpenters to explain their existence.
Since the universe came into existence, what does it owe it’s existence to?
You keep assuming an extant universe to explain its existence. There is nothing we owe our existence to except in this world. So the universe does not and cannot owe its existence to.anything.

I think that that is basically what happened although the words "from," "by," and "through" probably only have meaning in a universe that already exists. It's possible that we humans are simply not smart enough to fully understand the existence of the universe, and that explains why we have so much trouble wrapping our heads around the Big Bang and its giving birth to the world.
I love this . You claim not to have a clue as to how it all began, but somehow know that it was not supernatural.
For an honest person to claim that the cause of X was not Y, he would have to know the cause of X in order to make such a claim.
Appealing to "the supernatural" never really explained anything because it just trades one mystery for another. If we sit back and say that God's creating the world explains existence, then we are left with explaining God's existence not to mention his properties, an apparently impossible task. So rather than take a dead end like that I say let's keep trying to solve the mystery of existence using the methods of science.

Again, a "beginning" only makes sense in the context of a universe that already exists. Yes, the cosmos we currently observe had a beginning, but what we see is probably only part of the universe. In other words, the observed universe had a beginning, but a beginning probably doesn't sensibly apply to the cosmos as a whole.
Kicking the can down the road and redefining terms does not help you. So the observed universe had a begging but does not apply to the whole universe.
So the determining factor as to what had a beginning or not is what is observed. Really?
Similar to stating that the portion of the Amazon rainforest that is being affected by global warming is the portion that is observed.
That only applies to the existence of forms. The form of a wooden chair came into existence via a carpenter, her tools, and wood. She didn't make the chair out of nothing but made its form out of wood. As for things whose substance comes into existence, we know of no carpenters to explain their existence.
I guess you don’t owe your existence to your parents.
You keep assuming an extant universe to explain its existence. There is nothing we owe our existence to except in this world. So the universe does not and cannot owe its existence to.anything.
List one thing that came into existence that did not owe its existence to something else. Basic cause and effect.

Back