How to Authentically Speak in Tongues

When a person is giving a PERSONAL TESTIMONY, what do you expect will be the focus??? You?? He's just telling us WHAT HAPPENED!!!
Bob, you are correct, but where is the thankfulness to Christ? Do people who speak in tongues feel a spiritual gratitude and closeness to Christ in these moments? I'm asking sincerely as I have never had such an experience. Personally I believe something different in regard to tongues.

Bob, you are correct, but where is the thankfulness to Christ? Do people who speak in tongues feel a spiritual gratitude and closeness to Christ in these moments? I'm asking sincerely as I have never had such an experience. Personally I believe something different in regard to tongues.
We were in the musical phase of Worship at a meeting, and I saw in my mind an "odd word" which I spoke, and found out that other "words" followed, which I also spoke, and realized rapidly that I was speaking words flowing into my mind from HIM, and I was simply speaking what HE was supplying to me. There was a certain Satisfction to the occasion, but that's about all,and the reality that tings had changed, came when I got launched into intense Bible teaching opportunities, and found that HE whould supply me with hours of material - none of which would have been possible - before. As Far as "tongues" go it is pleasant to engage in something that flows through for somewhere else, but I wonder if the main value is the realization of the truth that in the hour of need HE WILL GIVE YOU THE WORDS TO SAY, whether in a "tongue" or in the common language.

So was someone interpreting these 'tongues' you were speaking in public or was it just to edify yourselves?

Which are you?

Most of the time when I hear someone ask this question, they are criticizing someone for "edifying themselves."

Do you believe building up your spirit by speaking in tongues is wrong?

Which are you?

Most of the time when I hear someone ask this question, they are criticizing someone for "edifying themselves."

Do you believe building up your spirit by speaking in tongues is wrong?

Any discussion of tongues that is without scripture from the day of Pentecost, Acts, chapter 2, is misplaced. What was the purpose of the tongues? It certainly wasn't for any self-edification.

We were in the musical phase of Worship at a meeting, and I saw in my mind an "odd word" which I spoke, and found out that other "words" followed, which I also spoke, and realized rapidly that I was speaking words flowing into my mind from HIM, and I was simply speaking what HE was supplying to me. There was a certain Satisfction to the occasion, but that's about all,and the reality that tings had changed, came when I got launched into intense Bible teaching opportunities, and found that HE whould supply me with hours of material - none of which would have been possible - before. As Far as "tongues" go it is pleasant to engage in something that flows through for somewhere else, but I wonder if the main value is the realization of the truth that in the hour of need HE WILL GIVE YOU THE WORDS TO SAY, whether in a "tongue" or in the common language.
Bob, have you ever responded to a post and while you were writing, new truths even to you came through to your mind and you learned something from the post too? That has happened to me a number of times. I'll even copy the response and put it in a document for I know them to be the "real" truth from the Holy Spirit of Truth. You would expect those with the Spirit to also grasp the truth, and certain people do. But others that are in denominations I'm afraid are full of doctrines of demons yell, "Heretic!"

Bob, have you ever responded to a post and while you were writing, new truths even to you came through to your mind and you learned something from the post too? That has happened to me a number of times. I'll even copy the response and put it in a document for I know them to be the "real" truth from the Holy Spirit of Truth. You would expect those with the Spirit to also grasp the truth, and certain people do. But others that are in denominations I'm afraid are full of doctrines of demons yell, "Heretic!"
Don't know that I've experienced that - Plenty of people call me "Heretic", and I never sought a teaching position in the Assemblies of God, since in the early '80s. I was far too "Charismatic" and not "Clothesline Holy" enough for 'em - not to speak about being pretty "Burned out" after all the activity in the '70s, now that the actual "REVIVAL" was over.

The dynamic Charismatic Outpouring had ended by then, and predictably degenerated into the "Charismatic Movement"for folks that wanted to "Keep it going" (but couldn't, of course). Oddly, UNLIKE the Pentecostal revival, which denominationalized (about 30 major ones) quickly when it was over, the Charismatic outpouring didn't and "Charismatic" churches tend to be independent.

MANY Charismatics like myself, flowed back into their old denominations (since we had experienced the unimportance of Denominational theology packages), but since we were "tongues speakers", the Pentecostal groups were a good fit. MANY Charismatics joined the Assemblies, and changed it radically from what it HAD been in the '60s (legalistic, and judgmental - one strike and you're OUT).

Our AoG pastor in DeSoto, TX AoG had been Baptized in the Spirit among the Catholics at the Notre Dame revival in the mid '60s.

Last edited:
Don't know that I've experiences that - Plenty of people call me "Heretic", and I never sought a teaching position in the Assemblies of God, since in the early '80s. I was far too "Charismatic" and not "Clothesline Holy" enough for 'em.

The dynamic Charismatic Outpouring had ended by then, and predictably degenerated into the "Charismatic Movement"for folks that wanted to "Keep it going" (but couldn't, of course).

MANY Charismatics like myself, flowed back into their old denominations (since we had experienced the unimportance of Denominational theology packages), but since we were "tongues speakers", the pentecostal groups were a good fit. MANY Charismatics joined the Assemblies, and changed it radically from what it HAD been in the '60s (legalistic, and judgemental - one strike and you're OUT).

Our pastor in DeSoto, TX AoG had been Baptized in the Spirit among the Catholics at the Notre Dame revival in the mid '60s.

It always give me a high when I get something entirely fresh and never heard of before. I go to a number of churches, one being AOG, and I am even conversing with two of the pastors there by email and teaching them the things I'm learning by the Spirit. And I'm seeing results by way of sermons preached. But like you, I'm not a cookie cutter denominationalist. Just because I am able to speak in tongues as I believe all who believe and are baptized are able to whether they quench it or operate in it, my main studies have to do with sin and the reason why Jesus came and what He did accomplish. But as a whole I am afraid for the Church in these days. It seems worse than ever don't you think?

It always give me a high when I get something entirely fresh and never heard of before. I go to a number of churches, one being AOG, and I am even conversing with two of the pastors there by email and teaching them the things I'm learning by the Spirit. And I'm seeing results by way of sermons preached. But like you, I'm not a cookie cutter denominationalist. Just because I am able to speak in tongues as I believe all who believe and are baptized are able to whether they quench it or operate in it, my main studies have to do with sin and the reason why Jesus came and what He did accomplish. But as a whole I am afraid for the Church in these days. It seems worse than ever don't you think?
I'm not concerned about the church at all, GOD is RESTORING it line upon line, and precept upon precept from it's institutional death under Rome's leadership when God raised Luther, Melancthon, and others to restore it to life and truth.

However The "Mature Visible Church" of Ephesians 4 is still future, BUT we're closer today that we've been since the apostolic days - when trouble was already brewing. Paul WARNED that things would "Go South" and sure enough they did under Roman Beauracracy.

There was an old Baptist teaching, which I believe to be true - i.e. the "Seed" principle. A seed falls to the ground and dies, BUT rises in newness of life FAR BEYOND what it was as a seed. John 12:24

The Baptists expected that whatever God does to follow a similar "cycle". Salvation, after all, includes OUR death to self, and being raised in NEWNESS of life - HIS life in us Gal 2:20. My observations over the last 58 years seems to support this. The people cry: WHAT"S HAPPENING TO MY DENOMINATION.

WHO CARES?? the Church of Jesus Christ doesn't depend on "your Denomination". They're just Growing pains.

SO, MY Bottom line is that the Visible Church is "on a journey" back to becoming the "Mature Corporate MAN" of Ephesians 4.

In my opinion the Visible Church is ON SCHEDULE, and IN BUDGET - until the fulfillment of the Age. Look what God has accomplished in the last 500 years since Luther was used by God to get things rolling out of death in the Catholic system!!! Just THINK of what we discovered/learned/understood in the '70s which was a WORLD WIDE REVIVAL.

However The "Mature Visible Church" of Ephesians 4 is still future, BUT we're closer today that we've been since the apostolic days - when trouble was already brewing. Paul WARNED that things would "Go South" and sure enough they did under Roman Beauracracy.
Ephesians 4 was in the sermon today at church. What makes you think it is future, like after death and at the resurrection, or isn't that what you meant. Don't you think He wants us to be perfect now? Anyway, these are the verses we studied today, but for us now, not later. (I stopped reading here to respond. Will continue reading...)

11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, 13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; 14 that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, 15 but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ— 16 from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.

17 This I say, therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you should no longer walk as [f]the rest of the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind, 18 having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart; 19 who, being past feeling, have given themselves over to lewdness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.

20 But you have not so learned Christ, 21 if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus: 22 that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, 23 and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, 24 and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness.

I'm not concerned about the church at all, GOD is RESTORING it line upon line, and precept upon precept from it's institutional death under Rome's leadership when God raised Luther, Melancthon, and others to restore it to life and truth.

I'm not so sure God raised up Luther. Granted he brought to light some corruption in the RCC about indulgenses which diminished the price Jesus paid, but his own doctrines were worse than the RCC by a landslide. They were doctrines of demons, saying that sin can't separate us from God. It wasn't until a couple hundred years later that John Wesley straightened out Luther's and John Calvin's mess.

This is not to say that today's RCC and Orthodox will be spared the Great Tribulation. Their beliefs on Mary are what Jesus described as Jezebel. Jesus wouldn't say that about His own mother, but this false doctrine He hates.

The Baptists expected that whatever God does to follow a similar "cycle". Salvation, after all, includes OUR death to self, and being raised in NEWNESS of life - HIS life in us Gal 2:20. My observations over the last 58 years seems to support this. The people cry: WHAT"S HAPPENING TO MY DENOMINATION.
Amen.

WHO CARES?? the Church of Jesus Christ doesn't depend on "your Denomination". They're just Growing pains.

SO, MY Bottom line is that the Visible Church is "on a journey" back to becoming the "Mature Corporate MAN" of Ephesians 4.

In my opinion the Visible Church is ON SCHEDULE, and IN BUDGET - until the fulfillment of the Age. Look what God has accomplished in the last 500 years since Luther was used by God to get things rolling out of death in the Catholic system!!! Just THINK of what we discovered/learned/understood in the '70s which was a WORLD WIDE REVIVAL.

I don't know if Ephesians 4 is talking about this world wide revival as future, or if we haven't already been in it with the latter rain of the Holy Spirit being present in the Charismatic movement. The true Church and Bride of Christ may be much smaller than we see in the phone book.

What I don't understand is if the unity will be real, or a command to keep or not keep. I can't see it happening as prophecy, except in the Millennium kingdom. But each person is to walk in the Spirit of the New Man. But I don't see the whole church being in unity of thought or doctrine before the second coming. Remember there will be a great falling away, so that is not a world-wide revival.

Amen.

I don't know if Ephesians 4 is talking about this world wide revival as future, or if we haven't already been in it with the latter rain of the Holy Spirit being present in the Charismatic movement.
The charismatic movement was VERY WIDE in it's effect - but It was only about 1/2" deep. And when it was OVER (in the late '70s) folks went back to their old denominationalism. (just like Peter went back to fishing after Calvary).

Our preacher used the valley of dry bones this morning to illustrates the TWO phases of that event - the FIRST phase was the bones coming together, and flesh coming upon them. but there was no LIFE. Then the "Breath of God" came upon them and they became alive as a great army.
Israel HAS come together in their own land in the last century, but there's no "Life" in them. We'll see if Israel LEADS in the restoration of the VISIBLE CHURCH when God opens their eyes - and breathes LIFE into them to accept their SAVIOR.
The true Church and Bride of Christ may be much smaller than we see in the phone book.

What I don't understand is if the unity will be real, or a command to keep or not keep. I can't see it happening as prophecy, except in the Millennium kingdom. But each person is to walk in the Spirit of the New Man. But I don't see the whole church being in unity of thought or doctrine before the second coming. Remember there will be a great falling away, so that is not a world-wide revival.
The present Visible church is a mixture of "Wheat" and "Tares", and Christianity is Cheap. But when the TROUBLE STARTS, and it'll hit the USA just like it's hit others in the world, then the tares will fall away, and the REAL Born again Christians will grow in the SPirit. There was a surprising degree of "unity" in the '70s as people from all denominations flowed together without much consideration of their Denomination's "Precious truths". BUt when the Spirit lifted in the late '70s denominationalism returned.

When God get ready to "Get it together" at the end of the age, He can bring the church together in unity just as easily. It won't be US doing it, since all WE can do is create confusion.

In any case, what this or that denominational, or theological group is doing, couldn't be less important in the grand scale of things. When God's SPIRIT invades, things can come together rapidly, and the world has never had to deal with the empowered church of Jesus Christ - yet.

It seems clear to me that you, once again, do not know how to exegete scripture.

1 Timothy 2:8-12

New American Standard Bible 1995

8 Therefore I want the men in every place to pray, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and dissension.
9 Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments, 10 but rather by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness. 11 A woman must quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness. 12 But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet.

This is a clear straight-forward teaching. The fact that you think you can disregard the teaching of scripture is obvious. Perhaps your church thinks it's appropriate to dismiss the scriptures in this matter.

and

So tell me, are your religious beliefs dependent upon a "high"?

You have already been shown that self-edification tongues is no part of Acts Chapter 2.

I'm not so sure God raised up Luther. Granted he brought to light some corruption in the RCC about indulgenses which diminished the price Jesus paid, but his own doctrines were worse than the RCC by a landslide. They were doctrines of demons, saying that sin can't separate us from God. It wasn't until a couple hundred years later that John Wesley straightened out Luther's and John Calvin's mess.

This is not to say that today's RCC and Orthodox will be spared the Great Tribulation. Their beliefs on Mary are what Jesus described as Jezebel. Jesus wouldn't say that about His own mother, but this false doctrine He hates.

You have previously misrepresented Martin Luther. You do it again here. I will be charitable and assume that you are ignorant of Luther's legacy.

A quote from the Bondage of the Will

“It is, then, fundamentally necessary and wholesome for Christians to know that God foreknows nothing contingently, but that He foresees, purposes, and does all things according to His immutable, eternal and infallible will. This bombshell knocks ‘free will’ flat,

Luther defined the very doctrines Christians (sans Catholics), cherish. Salvation by 'faith alone, grace alone'.

Don't criticize people you don't know the first thing about.

The charismatic movement was VERY WIDE in it's effect - but It was only about 1/2" deep. And when it was OVER (in the late '70s) folks went back to their old denominationalism. (just like Peter went back to fishing after Calvary).

Personally, I don't see the decline in the 70's, but still strong after the millennium. The decline seems more recent to me.

Our preacher used the valley of dry bones this morning to illustrates the TWO phases of that event - the FIRST phase was the bones coming together, and flesh coming upon them. but there was no LIFE. Then the "Breath of God" came upon them and they became alive as a great army.
Israel HAS come together in their own land in the last century, but there's no "Life" in them. We'll see if Israel LEADS in the restoration of the VISIBLE CHURCH when God opens their eyes - and breathes LIFE into them to accept their SAVIOR.

Yes, I agree about Israel, and I do believe in the restoration of the current visible church. But the only new members will be the Jews. The current members who do not have white robes now but are still alive during the GT, will have to wash their robes in the blood of the Lamb and overcome, even though it will cost them their lives. It is better to wear white robes now and be protected by God then.

The present Visible church is a mixture of "Wheat" and "Tares", and Christianity is Cheap. But when the TROUBLE STARTS, and it'll hit the USA just like it's hit others in the world, then the tares will fall away, and the REAL Born again Christians will grow in the SPirit. There was a surprising degree of "unity" in the '70s as people from all denominations flowed together without much consideration of their Denomination's "Precious truths". BUt when the Spirit lifted in the late '70s denominationalism returned.

When God get ready to "Get it together" at the end of the age, He can bring the church together in unity just as easily. It won't be US doing it, since all WE can do is create confusion.

In any case, what this or that denominational, or theological group is doing, couldn't be less important in the grand scale of things. When God's SPIRIT invades, things can come together rapidly, and the world has never had to deal with the empowered church of Jesus Christ - yet.
The Church has always been a mixture of wheat and tares, and when they die, then comes the judgment.

I do agree that when the blindness lifts off the Jews at the beginning of the GT, that is when Christians will be truly persecuted by the left and other religions. Persecution always brings growth and strength, and purification.

Then you've obviously missed what his PRIMARY CONTRIBUTION to the church was.

Totally untrue.

I see Luther and Calvin as the main contenders at the beginning of the Reformation, but Jesus said of them and their long-lived reputations, "you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead." Do you not see that He was right? Then later in the Reformation period along came people like John Wesley who have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with Me in white, for they are worthy. In other words those who brought back holiness which was missing at the beginning.

But of the beginning Jesus continues, " Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain (from the RCC), that are ready to die, for I have not found your works perfect before God. 3 Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you.

I see Luther and Calvin as the main contenders at the beginning of the Reformation, but Jesus said of them and their long-lived reputations, "you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead." Do you not see that He was right? Then later in the Reformation period along came people like John Wesley who have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with Me in white, for they are worthy. In other words those who brought back holiness which was missing at the beginning.

But of the beginning Jesus continues, " Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain (from the RCC), that are ready to die, for I have not found your works perfect before God. 3 Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you.
Disagree totally.

Back