Marian Prayers--Catholics try to tell us that prayers to Mary are asking her to intercede for us

mica said:
yet catholics don't read what they wrote or understand what they taught.

you don't consider any from the OT to be saints?
balshan - Hmm could it be they cannot pretend the OT people of God are RCs?
i did once have a catholic claim that catholics wrote the the OT. I think a lot of what they believe varies depending on where they live, their parish and the order of their priests and nuns.

i did once have a catholic claim that catholics wrote the the OT. I think a lot of what they believe varies depending on where they live, their parish and the order of their priests and nuns.
I am always stunned by one they come up with to justify their false doctrines. So sad. Yet they say they are all united in their beliefs.

I'm not sure why it doesn't make sense. How would it be possible for the very first apostles and disciples writing scripture, to teach others to ask their intercession when they finally die? They don't know how they'll be regarded after death. They didn't even know their writings would become the bible when they were writing. So it isn't reasonable to expect that they would be writing about how they should be regarded beyond their earthly life from their own writings.

In the first place, the Apostles would NOT of taught ANYONE to ask dead people to intercede for those still alive. Let alone even suggest it. When cornelius tried that CROCK, peter rebuked him for doing so. In Acts 14, paul and barnabas, also rebuked people for attempting to worship them. In revelation, john was rebuked by an angel for thinking along the same lines.

Prayer is a form of worship. Asking a dead person to intercede for you in any way is worshipping the dead.

God is fully capable of hearing our prayers, and fully capable of meeting our needs according to His will. In Scripture ALL prayers were directed TO God. At no time, did any of the OT prophets ever teach, or preach praying to the dead.

In the example Jesus gave about the rich man and lazarus, the rich man wanted to send lazarus to the rich man's brothers. And the request was DENIED. The rich man was told that his brother's had the Scriptures available to them. lazarus was NOT able to intercede for the rich man nor the rich man's brothers.

Asking another person who is still alive on earth to "agree" with you in prayer is acceptable. Praying TO a dead person, asking them to intercede on your behalf is NOT

The OT? That is patently absurd. One Catholic did claim on here that Catholics wrote the NT, which is foolish enough, but the OLD Testament???

Last edited:
The OT? That is patently absurd. One Catholic did claim on here that Catholics wrote the NT, which is stupid enough, but the OLD Testament???
I see both cases as desperate attempts at validation by the RCC. "We were there at the beginning! Honest!"

BTW, if the RCC wrote the New Testament, (a) why weren't their distinctive doctrines clearly spelled out? and (b) why does the RCC work so danged hard to ignore or deny what the Scriptures do say?

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"

Bonnie, we are just going to have to agree to disagree here.

I see the above language as exaggerated language of love and devotion, akin to "Your face would launch 1000 ships" or "I give my all to you."

You see as more than that. I understand. You are a Lutheran. Lutherans apparently see Mary and Christ as competitors. If we love Mary, for some reason that means we are taking away from Christ, and if we love Christ, that means we cannot love Mary. If we speak the exaggerated language of love and devotion to Mary, it follows we are worshipping her. But for some reason if we use that same language in reference to our spouse "I give my all to you" you automatically know that the person does not literally mean "To you and not to God."

Whatever. Think as you wish Bonnie. We will just have to agree to disagree.

You do not believe in the intercessory power of Mary or the saints. That is fine. Don't pray to Mary or the saints. Catholics do believe in the intercessory power of Mary and the saints and we will make use of it as we see fit; whether you like it or not.
It's faux outrage.

How many sent gave or received Father's day cards in violation of Scripture which says "call no man father", let alone the poetic sentiments about being " the best" or " the greatest".

Blasphemy!

?

It's faux outrage.

How many sent gave or received Father's day cards in violation of Scripture which says "call no man father", let alone the poetic sentiments about being " the best" or " the greatest".

Blasphemy!

?
Protestants on this site love to virtue signal to the other Protestants. There is nothing they love better then feigning outrage at all things Catholic.

mica said:
The OT? That is patently absurd. One Catholic did claim on here that Catholics wrote the NT, which is foolish enough, but the OLD Testament???
yes, it is. It shows how little knowledge they do have of scripture and how blindly they believe anything the rcc tells them. their hearts have no desire for the truth.

yes, it is. It shows how little knowledge they do have of scripture and how blindly they believe anything the rcc tells them. their hearts have no desire for the truth.
Right: Catholics just blindly believe whatever they are told by the RCC, but Protestants think for themselves. Protestants do not just accept whatever Pastor Bob, Elder Sue, Reverend Joe, Brother this or sister that tells them without critical thought. No, they go by the Bible. :rolleyes:

You do realize that we don't think Mary can save us apart from Jesus. Her role in the life of a Catholic rests upon Jesus. Without Jesus, there is no salvation whatsoever. You may not like the language or the sentiments of the prayers (which by the way, no one has to pray or believe in), but you take them out of context when you wrest the role of Jesus away from Mary's intercession for us.
The Roman Catholic "Mary Thing" doesn't even exist, and the entire concept taught my "Marianists" is total BLASPHEMY!!!

HOW DARE YOU think that Jesus our Saviour needs any input from a normal physically dead sinful Human in order to do the right thing by us??

HOW DARE you mischaracterize the REAL Biblical Mary, Jesus' mother into the blasphemous usurping MONSTER that the Roman Catholic "Church" has made her into???

It's faux outrage.

No, it is real outrage.

Blasphemy!

?
I always called my father "Daddy." :) But then, I never prayed to my father, called him the "only hope for sinners" or "gate of heaven" or "help of the dying" or "co-mediator"...and I never ascribed honors, glory, and power to him that rightfully belong only to Jesus Christ.

So, that is why giving my Daddy father's day cards wasn't blasphemy. :)

Right: Catholics just blindly believe whatever they are told by the RCC, but Protestants think for themselves. Protestants do not just accept whatever Pastor Bob, Elder Sue, Reverend Joe, Brother this or sister that tells them without critical thought. No, they go by the Bible. :rolleyes:
I cannot speak for others, but I don't blindly believe everything I hear taught by ministers in our church. I always stay attuned for anything that might not line up with Scriptures. As we are taught in our church. In the 2 churches where my husband was Pastor, he told the elders in both to make sure he never taught contrary to Scripture, and if they thought he did, to call him on it.

And yes, we go by the Bible.

Last edited:
The Roman Catholic "Mary Thing" doesn't even exist, and the entire concept taught my "Marianists" is total BLASPHEMY!!!

HOW DARE YOU think that Jesus our Saviour needs any input from a normal physically dead sinful Human in order to do the right thing by us??

HOW DARE you mischaracterize the REAL Biblical Mary, Jesus' mother into the blasphemous usurping MONSTER that the Roman Catholic "Church" has made her into???
God prepared Israel to bring his son into the world. It makes very good sense that he would prepare the woman who would be the mother of his son.

Among other things, Mary is the mother of God, she is the new Eve, and she is the ark of the new covenant. Not just your typical woman.

God prepared Israel to bring his son into the world. It makes very good sense that he would prepare the woman who would be the mother of his son.

Sure He did by sending Gabriel to tell Mary she would bear the Messiah.
Among other things, Mary is the mother of God, she is the new Eve, and she is the ark of the new covenant. Not just your typical woman.
Mary is not the New Eve or the ark of the new covenant. Calling Mary the mother of God can be a bit dicey, as it could easily be misconstrued by some to think we teach Mary gave birth to the entire Godhead, instead of just God the Son.

Mary was an ordinary woman whom God enabled to do something extraordinary--bear the Son of God in His humanity, while she was a virgin.

Last edited:
mica said:
Right: Catholics just blindly believe whatever they are told by the RCC,
most do - within their own made up version of it. we see that in posts on here, such as the catholics here whose beliefs don't always line up with what you post. when I was catholic we called them cafeteria catholics.

but Protestants think for themselves.
if they're believers they do.

Protestants do not just accept whatever Pastor Bob, Elder Sue, Reverend Joe, Brother this or sister that tells them without critical thought.
not if they're believers.

No, they go by the Bible. :rolleyes:
if they're believers they do.

Sure He did by sending Gabriel to tell Mary she would bear the Messiah.

Mary is not the New Eve or the ark of the new covenant. Calling Mary the mother of God can be a bit dicey, as it could easily be misconstrued by some to think we teach Mary gave birth to the entire Godhead, instead of just God the Son.

Mary was an ordinary woman whom God enabled to do something extraordinary--bear the Son of God in His humanity, while she was a virgin.

Yes Mary is the new Eve and the ark of the new covenant.

Back