Paul and Silas were asked "What must I DO to be saved." And they said BELIEVE on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved. Faith is not works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They asked for the workS of God and Christ gave the one thing that saves.
Faith is not works. See Eph 2:8-9

Ephesians 2:8-9 use works differently than what Christ did...

Are you denying Christ's words?
Jesus said, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent”

No. Not at all,
Faith is not a work a person does, else it would be works,
God produces faith in a person so it is a work of God.

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. - Eph 2:8-9

No. Not at all,
Faith is not a work a person does, else it would be works,
God produces faith in a person so it is a work of God.

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. - Eph 2:8-9
Okay, let's say you are right... BTW, in principle, I agree with you... But the Christ quote went right over your head... Since you brought it up, God produces faith only in those who are going to use it... He doesn't produce faith in those who won't use it... Those who use it are those who's natures were changed so that they can use it...

Okay, let's say you are right... BTW, in principle, I agree with you... But the Christ quote went right over your head... Since you brought it up, God produces faith only in those who are going to use it... He doesn't produce faith in those who won't use it... Those who use it are those who's natures were changed so that they can use it...
It is the work of God not man.

Are you denying Paul's words

Romans 4:1–6 (NASB 2020) — 1 What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh, has found? 2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about; but not before God. 3 For what does the Scripture say? “ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS CREDITED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS.” 4 Now to the one who works, the wages are not credited as a favor, but as what is due. 5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness, 6 just as David also speaks of the blessing of the person to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:

30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I DO to be saved?
31 And they said, BELIEVE on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. - Acts 16:30-31.

So believing is not a work. It is something a person must do. Works are works. Like sacrament and infant baptism, etc

Jesus Christ the Lord agrees.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life. - John 6:47

There is a great deception that is used again Ephesians 2:8-9
Here is the passage.

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. - Ephesians 2:8-9

The deception starts with call faith "works" ( faith = works)
Now it says with the substitution:
By grace are ye saved through faith not of faith ...

Since through faith and not of faith cancel out the new deception is
By grace are ye saved.

The final deception is to redefine grace as stuff you get by sacraments like infant baptism.

So the final deception is
By infant baptism are ye saved.

Now I certainly would not claim to be an expert in Calvin's writings or Luther's writings or in Reformed Theory. And I would never waste all my time studying all their writings. I just read and study the word of God.

But it does seem to be that Calvin and Luther and some if not most Reformed practice infant baptism.

Have they been deceived by the deception I have noted above.

I leave it to you to discuss. I will sit back and watch and I may do some research into their writings.
What did Paul said a person must DO to be saved ... Believe.

What did Paul said a person must DO to be saved ... Believe.

And "believing" is the GIFT of God:

Eph. 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,
Phil. 1:29 For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake,
Rom. 12:3 For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned.
2Pet. 1:1 Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:

Eph. 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,
Phil. 1:29 For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake,
Rom. 12:3 For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned.
2Pet. 1:1 Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:
Salvation is the gift

Romans 6:23 (KJV 1900) — 23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

faith is granted through the word of God

Romans 10:17 (KJV 1900) — 17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Rom 12:3 is not speaking of saving faith as context shows

Romans 12:3–6 (KJV 1900) — 3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith. 4 For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office: 5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another. 6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;

it is faith in the operation of spiritual gifts

2Pe 1:1 simply notes the faith was obtained not that it was unconditionally infused by God

You erred in your analysis of Eph 2:8.
Salvation is the gift not faith.

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. - Romans 6:23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back