Serious Question for Atheists

It is an attempt at being pedagogic, but had the OP simply said

"I think food is delicious because god - thoughts?"

I would have had more respect.

I would have laughed my rear end off, but I would have had more respect.

Oh, you misunderstood the OP. I wasn't asking for your respect. I asked why peaches are so tasty. What say you?

Exactly. I could have asked the same thing about pears or apples or figs or watermelon. Why are they so tasty?

I asked you, "why peaches in particular[?]", and your response is "Exactly"? This is nonsensical, and it makes me think you are not actually reading my comments.

It would be nice if you answered the question. Why did God make peaches in particular so tasty (as opposed to, for instance, rye grain)?

He made them BOTH tasty to a great number of people.

That's great, but it is not an answer to my question: Why did he choose peaches to make so universally tasty (as opposed to rye grain and bread)?

Why do you keep asking the same question? He certainly is not requiring everyone to like everything. He sure as hell gave us a large enough variety.

I am asking at all because I think you do not have a sufficient answer, and if you are able to realize that then maybe you will realize that the question you asked in your OP is not as important as you perhaps originally believed.

I keep asking because you have yet to answer.

I asked you, "why peaches in particular[?]", and your response is "Exactly"?

EXACTLY! Why indeed peaches in particular? I could have just as easily asked why cantaloupe is so tasty.

It would be nice if you answered the question. Why did God make peaches in particular so tasty (as opposed to, for instance, rye grain)?

Because He knows we have a variety of taste preferences. For example, my wife found grapefruits to be quite tasty. I don't. And we reversed that when it comes to pineapples.

I am asking at all because I think you do not have a sufficient answer,

And yet I do. See above.

EXACTLY! Why indeed peaches in particular? I could have just as easily asked why cantaloupe is so tasty.
This still isn't an answer.

No matter though, as you have attempted an answer below. I will explain why it doesn't really answer what I'm asking, though.
Because He knows we have a variety of taste preferences. For example, my wife found grapefruits to be quite tasty. I don't. And we reversed that when it comes to pineapples.

So, on your view, God made peaches extremely tasty to most of us, and rye bread tasty to a smaller proportion, although usually it is not considered to be as tasty as something like peaches.

Presumably you will agree that raw rye grain is nutritious but barely edible. Even those of us who like rye bread would certainly not enjoy trying to choke down the grain by itself. It has to be worked, for instance, into a bread along with other ingredients in order for it to be even passably unobjectionable.

And so we have this wide gamut of foods which are very delicious to most all of us, foods that taste horrible to most all of us, and everything in between. God could, presumably, have made all the foods delicious to everyone, period, but he didn't. Instead, peaches got a place of honor in this kaleidoscope of flavor. Why? What was so special about peaches that God decided he would make them special among foods?

So, on your view, God made peaches extremely tasty to most of us, and rye bread tasty to a smaller proportion, although usually it is not considered to be as tasty as something like peaches.

Yep.

Presumably you will agree that raw rye grain is nutritious but barely edible.

Nope. I love it.

Even those of us who like rye bread would certainly not enjoy trying to choke down the grain by itself. It has to be worked, for instance, into a bread along with other ingredients in order for it to be even passably unobjectionable.

Nah. When I was a kid I used to pick the grain out of the bread and eat it raw. But even if I didn't, so what? Let's suppose only ten people on the planet like it. So what? It's not exactly like the other 7 billion people don't have other food they enjoy.

And so we have this wide gamut of foods which are very delicious to most all of us, foods that taste horrible to most all of us, and everything in between.

So? The few foods that I think taste horrible, I just don't eat. Kinds like music. I like all genres except rap. So I don''t listen to rap, but I don't begrudge those who do.

God could, presumably, have made all the foods delicious to everyone, period, but he didn't. Instead, peaches got a place of honor in this kaleidoscope of flavor. Why? What was so special about peaches that God decided he would make them special among foods?

Nothing, They are no more special than figs or pears or pecans or grapes which also taste great to most people.

Nope. I love it.
Nah. When I was a kid I used to pick the grain out of the bread and eat it raw. But even if I didn't, so what? Let's suppose only ten people on the planet like it. So what? It's not exactly like the other 7 billion people don't have other food they enjoy.
Most likely you are referring to caraway seeds, not rye grain. I don't know how it would be possible to take a piece of processed and cooked rye bread and pick out a single grain from it. Probably it is not possible.

But eating a single grain as a novelty is not what I'm talking about anyway. The idea is to get some practical nutrition, which is not going to happen with a single grain.

I think you are not being entirely transparent here, but no matter. As you say, let us suppose that very few people on earth would be able to enjoy the taste of a heap of raw rye grain. And let us make this supposition because it is true.

Why did God decide to make peaches tastier than that? What makes peaches so special that they should be given a better taste than raw rye grain?

I think you are not being entirely transparent here, but no matter.

Transparent? In what way? We're talking about people's various tastes in food. What here lends itself to being seen through? You make weird comments.

As you say, let us suppose that very few people on earth would be able to enjoy the taste of a heap of raw rye grain. And let us make this supposition because it is true.

OK, now that we both agree to make such a mundane supposition, what do you plan on doing with it?

Why did God decide to make peaches tastier than that? What makes peaches so special that they should be given a better taste than raw rye grain?

How many times do you want me to keep answering that question? Let's try this:

You next door neighbor is the father of six kids, three sons, three daughters. For Christmas he gives one son a bicycle, one a chemistry set and one a set of encyclopedias. He giives one daughter a CD player, one a set of dolls with a dollhouse and one a bunch of free passes to the children's matinee. Every day when you see him in his driveway do you harangue him as to why he gave in such a variety of ways?

How many times do you want me to keep answering that question?
I get that you think you're answering the question, but you are not.

I will rephrase again: Why did God, on your view, privilege peaches over certain other foods (like uncooked grain, kale, goya, etc.) in his project deciding which foods to make the most tasty?

Despite many responses, several of which are quite frankly nonsensical, you have not actually given an answer to this question.

Let's try this:

You next door neighbor is the father of six kids, three sons, three daughters. For Christmas he gives one son a bicycle, one a chemistry set and one a set of encyclopedias. He giives one daughter a CD player, one a set of dolls with a dollhouse and one a bunch of free passes to the children's matinee. Every day when you see him in his driveway do you harangue him as to why he gave in such a variety of ways?

No, I do not bother him at all in that scenario.

I answered your question immediately and without ambiguity. If you please, could you answer my question which I have been asking you for two days now? Why did God decide to make peaches so tasty, but not other foods like rye grain, raw oats, bitter vegetables like kale, etc.?

I get that you think you're answering the question, but you are not.

I will rephrase again: Why did God, on your view, privilege peaches over certain other foods (like uncooked grain, kale, goya, etc.) in his project deciding which foods to make the most tasty?

"Privilege peaches?" LOL. You anthropomorphize a pear or a grain, as though a pear would be jealous of a peach because it's even more tasty than it.

Despite many responses, several of which are quite frankly nonsensical, you have not actually given an answer to this question.

Just what is it you're not getting about my belief that God gave a VARIETY of people a VARIETY of different flavors in a VARIETY of different food products to be freely consumed or rejected depending on their VARIETY of taste buds?

"Privilege peaches?" LOL. You anthropomorphize a pear or a grain, as though a pear would be jealous of a peach because it's even more tasty than it.
So, you're just never going to answer my question, apparently.

That is a shame. I wonder if it is because you are unable or because you are unwilling, or maybe some combination of the two.
Just what is it you're not getting about my belief that God gave a VARIETY of people a VARIETY of different flavors in a VARIETY of different food products to be freely consumed or rejected depending on their VARIETY of taste buds?
I get it. It just has nothing to do with the question I have been repeatedly asking you over the last two days.

Oh well. Have a good night. I'll re-think tomorrow whether it might be possible to meaningfully communicate with you, but right now it is not looking good, and I am thinking it is probably best we end the conversation here.

That was almost as boring as it is irrelevant. Why are fresh and not overly cooked brussel sprouts in which scientists have isolated and removed the bitterness, I say, why are THEY tasty?
It's all in the taste buds. The Covid symptom of not being able to taste anything was horrible for those who experienced it and lasted long after the more acute symptoms were over.

Because God wants us to enjoy the very thing we need most.
Ok, your privilege to believe what you want.

Why ask atheists a serious question, then belittle their answers when they don't meet up with your belief? All you are discovering is that atheists don't believe in God.

There are very good natural reasons why some food tastes good, why cultural variations are prevalent and why the palate can be retrained to enjoy foods previously found to be distasteful. There is an abundance of research into this, not least because the food industry makes vast sums of money out of us by exploiting evolved taste responses. There is a natural explanation for why food of all kinds, including peaches, taste pleasant to some. You choose add the additional component of God, neither logically nor scientifically necessary. So what? Does this provide any evidence for God? No.

You could ask a "serious question for atheists" about all sorts of phenomena. Why does pain exist? What are wasps for? Why is sex fun? All have scientific, natural answers. None require or indicate God. Why do you think that tasty food does so?

Ok, your privilege to believe what you want.

Why ask atheists a serious question, then belittle their answers when they don't meet up with your belief? All you are discovering is that atheists don't believe in God.

I asked why fruit tastes good.

I am getting atheist answers.

These answers pose other questions, such as:

There are very good natural reasons why some food tastes good, why cultural variations are prevalent and why the palate can be retrained

Retained by whom? Who does the retaining and how?

to enjoy foods previously found to be distasteful.

How?

There is an abundance of research into this,

In your own words, provide some.

not least because the food industry makes vast sums of money out of us by exploiting evolved taste responses.

Ah, so the "food industry" is why food tastes good. I had that backwards. I thought the fact that food tasted good was why there is a food industry.

There is a natural explanation for why food of all kinds, including peaches, taste pleasant to some.

Then quit stalling and provide it.

Why does pain exist? What are wasps for? Why is sex fun?

The fact that you are answering my question with irrelevant OTHER questions leads me to believe that you haven't a clue as to why peaches taste so good. But thanks for trying.

Back