What do LDS Apostles and Prophets actually do?

Markk

I listened to this podcast yesterday while commuting. Start at 48:00 minutes to about 54:10. 'Prophet's ask the experts (scholars) instead of trying to become experts themselves.'

Here is a LDS scholar and apologist, Brant Gardner, explaining that they, the scholars and apologists are the experts when it comes to explaining things of Mormonism.

DB wants to claim that they are the true church because they have apostles and prophets....yet it is the scholars that are doing the teaching and explaining. Sites sponsored by the church like FAIR and BoM central are actually doctrinally running the church while as discussed the brethren, the 15 and the 70's....run the corporate side of things, the "important" things like investing the tithe monies. listen

It does. And it is telling here....what is the ratio of truth claims answered here by the GA, or FAIR or BoMC....10 to 1 "scholarship to actual modern day leaders....20 to 1 maybe? All Ralf does is paste site like Fair with no commentary then chuckle. And then when you show a statement by Nelson about the stone in the hat, he denies it and then quotes Fair or similar.

The GA just handle the finances and rick management and PR.

I listened to this podcast yesterday while commuting. Start at 48:00 minutes to about 54:10. 'Prophet's ask the experts (scholars) instead of trying to become experts themselves.'

Here is a LDS scholar and apologist, Brant Gardner, explaining that they, the scholars and apologists are the experts when it comes to explaining things of Mormonism.

DB wants to claim that they are the true church because they have apostles and prophets....yet it is the scholars that are doing the teaching and explaining. Sites sponsored by the church like FAIR and BoM central are actually doctrinally running the church while as discussed the brethren, the 15 and the 70's....run the corporate side of things, the "important" things like investing the tithe monies. listen

HOW NICE to have mormon scholars like Cleon Skousen, Nibley and many other who can do the deep dive... chuckle.

HOW NICE to have mormon scholars like Cleon Skousen, Nibley and many other who can do the deep dive... chuckle.
W. Cleon Skousen, a former BYU professor, wrote:

Through modern revelation we learn that the universe is filled with vast numbers of intelligences, and we further learn that Elohim is God simply because all of these intelligences honor and sustain Him as such.... But since God 'acquired' the honor and sustaining influence of 'all things' it follows as a corollary that if He should ever do anything to violate the confidence or sense of justice' of these intelligences, they would promptly withdraw their support, and the 'power' of God would disintegrate.... 'He would cease to be God.' Our Heavenly Father can do only those things which the intelligences under Him are voluntarily willing to support Him in accomplishing (The First 2000 Years, pp. 355-356).

"The worst sinners, according to Jesus, are not the harlots and publicans, but the religious leaders with their insistence on proper dress and grooming, their careful observance of all the rules, their precious concern for status symbols, their strict legality, their pious patriotism...the haircut becomes the test of virtue in a world where Satan deceives and rules by appearances."

Hugh Nibley (1989). “Approaching Zion”,

"The worst sinners, according to Jesus, are not the harlots and publicans, but the religious leaders with their insistence on proper dress and grooming, their careful observance of all the rules, their precious concern for status symbols, their strict legality, their pious patriotism...the haircut becomes the test of virtue in a world where Satan deceives and rules by appearances."

Look around, Nibley is right... thx for posting such a great man and his thoughts...

W. Cleon Skousen, a former BYU professor, wrote:

Through modern revelation we learn that the universe is filled with vast numbers of intelligences, and we further learn that Elohim is God simply because all of these intelligences honor and sustain Him as such.... But since God 'acquired' the honor and sustaining influence of 'all things' it follows as a corollary that if He should ever do anything to violate the confidence or sense of justice' of these intelligences, they would promptly withdraw their support, and the 'power' of God would disintegrate.... 'He would cease to be God.' Our Heavenly Father can do only those things which the intelligences under Him are voluntarily willing to support Him in accomplishing (The First 2000 Years, pp. 355-356).
Yes, His being is based on total righteousness... no unclean thing can enter into His presences... thx again... good post

Well Ralf like I wrote, the GA are silent and the scholars are the experts. Nibley and Skousen are dead and no longer relevant, and the new experts are the likes of Bushman, and the Givens....who are now favored by the leaders, and whom wrote the essays. Those like Smoot who states not only did Joseph use the seer stone for the BoM, but also for the BoA. They even support these new progressives financially. And they have FAIR, who teach according to you Joseph did use a stone in the hat.

So I guess my point is Ralf, even though you ducked my original question as to what do the GA actually do, you supported the idea they rely on others to teach the folks.

And, what exactly are Skousen, and Nibley teaching the folks these days....just name a few of there most striking contributions in making LDS theology clear from that "deep dive" contribution. Is it maybe Hugh's insistence that he Hopi Native American Indians are actually Lamanites, and as SWK stated, are getting whiter? Name a few Ralf.

Well Ralf like I wrote, the GA are silent and the scholars are the experts. Nibley and Skousen are dead and no longer relevant, and the new experts are the likes of Bushman, and the Givens....who are now favored by the leaders, and whom wrote the essays. Those like Smoot who states not only did Joseph use the seer stone for the BoM, but also for the BoA. They even support these new progressives financially. And they have FAIR, who teach according to you Joseph did use a stone in the hat.

So I guess my point is Ralf, even though you ducked my original question as to what do the GA actually do, you supported the idea they rely on others to teach the folks.

And, what exactly are Skousen, and Nibley teaching the folks these days....just name a few of there most striking contributions in making LDS theology clear from that "deep dive" contribution. Is it maybe Hugh's insistence that he Hopi Native American Indians are actually Lamanites, and as SWK stated, are getting whiter? Name a few Ralf.
Depends on what they teach, give me an example of scholars teaching the Prophet and apostles, your generalizations are suspect.

Depends on what they teach, give me an example of scholars teaching the Prophet and apostles, your generalizations are suspect.
Ralf you made the claim about Nibley and Skousen! You generalized in post #4.

As far my assertion I quoted Brant Gardner in my OP, did you watch the video?

Ralf you made the claim about Nibley and Skousen! You generalized in post #4.

As far my assertion I quoted Brant Gardner in my OP, did you watch the video?
Tell me how the prophet and apostles are being taught.... give examples

Teach false doctrines that lead people astray from the true Jesus Christ of the Bible into putting their faith and trust in membership in the LDS church and following those same false apostles and prophets, to give them eternal life.

Oooh, that reminds me of this discussion we had on here last September, about wearing Hawaiian shirts and sandals in church showing disrespect for Jesus:

We had quite the discussion over it for awhile....which showed that Mormons, at least on here, tend to judge more by appearance than anything else.

Good thing God judges by the heart, and not by appearance or clothing.

Tell me how the prophet and apostles are being taught.... give examples

<Chuckle>

So you bring up off-topic comments, and give us "homework"?
Sorry, tbat's NOT how it works.

If you have a poin to make, then just make it.
Don't assign "homework".
It's not our job to make YOUR argument for you.

And if you don't have a point to make (and you never do), then stop wasting our time.

<Chuckle>

So you bring up off-topic comments, and give us "homework"?
Sorry, tbat's NOT how it works.

If you have a poin to make, then just make it.
Don't assign "homework".
It's not our job to make YOUR argument for you.

And if you don't have a point to make (and you never do), then stop wasting our time.
Yes, sir!

Back