What is the image of God? Is it physical?

Jewjitzu

We are first introduced to the mention of the image of God in Genesis 1:26. We are told man is created in that image. Then, immediately after that, we are told God's image is singular, His, Genesis 1:27, and it is in both man and woman. And after that what man does with that image in Genesis 1:28.

Gen 1
26Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, after Our likeness, to rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, and over all the earth itself and every creature that crawls upon it.”
27So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
28God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and every creature that crawls upon the earth.”

What are the problems with thinking God had a body and created mankind with that "image"? Isn't this a Mormon teaching that is considered heretical?

Some poster has argued that God's image includes a body, soul, and spirit, and that the Father is the soul, Spirit is the spirit, and Son is the body. Is this right?

Last edited:
We are first introduced to the mention of the image of God in Genesis 1:26. We are told man is created in that image. Then, immediately after that, we are told God's image is singular, His, Genesis 1:27, and it is in both man and woman. And after that what man does with that image in Genesis 1:28.

Gen 1
26Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, after Our likeness, to rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, and over all the earth itself and every creature that crawls upon it.”
27So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
28God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and every creature that crawls upon the earth.”

What are the problems with thinking God had a body and created mankind with that "image"? Isn't this a Mormon teaching that is considered heretical?

Some poster has argued that God's image includes a body, soul, and spirit, and that the Father is the soul, Spirit is the spirit, and Son is the body. Is this right?
It's strange that we can't find any normal Christians in this forum. They all seem to believe what mainstream Christians call heresies.

it's Rabbinics who deny God made appearances to Adam, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, etc.
even tho God's word says so

God probably is not just an invisible Wizard of Oz character to the Heavenly sons as well

if they are created in the likeness of God's image
and
Adam was created in a similar likeness (though Earthy) as well

like·ness
[ˈlīknəs]

NOUN
  1. the fact or quality of being alike; resemblance:
    "her likeness to him was astonishing" · "a family likeness can be seen among all the boys"
    SIMILAR:
    resemblance
    similarity
    sameness
    similitude
    congruity
    • the semblance, guise, or outward appearance of:
      "humans are described as being made in God's likeness"
      SIMILAR:
      semblance
      guise
      appearance
      form
      shape
    • a portrait or representation:
    • "the only known likeness of Dorothy as a young woman"

it's Rabbinics who deny God made appearances to Adam, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, etc.

God probably is not just an invisible Wizard of Oz character to the Heavenly sons as well

and

like·ness
[ˈlīknəs]

NOUN
    "her likeness to him was astonishing" · "a family likeness can be seen among all the boys"
    SIMILAR:
    resemblance
    similarity
    sameness
    similitude
    congruity
      SIMILAR:
      semblance
      guise
      appearance
      form
      shape
I get so tired of you whining about this. We simply disagree. You want to say that Gen 2 is history, I say it is a wonderful creation myth. We aren't going to agree. It really makes no sense for you to keep complaining about it over and over -- it won't change me.

it's cute if you think everything I say here is directed specifically at You
I consider you a non-Believer, just as I did when you were still Catholic

non-Christians are the oddballs on CARM
not Me

I personally think the Bible is True
both the Hebrew public canon, and the prophesied NT canon

it's cute if you think everything I say here is directed specifically at You
I consider you a non-Believer, just as I did when you were still Catholic
True. You are bigotted in more than one way. It is often the case that people who are hateful are hateful of all sorts of things.

I personally think the Bible is True
both the Hebrew public canon, and the prophesied NT canon
We were warned about the additions and subtractions from Torah that the NT and Christianity, Islam, etc., would bring. That in itself shows the NT is false.

But, anyway, let's stay on topic. ;)

More like your misunderstanding of things.

This is interesting considering the NT admits God is invisible.

and
Well, God did use the earth, water, air, etc., for man's physical form. God's image is singular and used in rulership, v28.

Are you saying your gods are made from dirt, etc.?

like·ness
[ˈlīknəs]

NOUN
    SIMILAR:
    resemblance
    similarity
    sameness
    similitude
    congruity
      SIMILAR:
      semblance
      guise
      appearance
      form
      shape
So who in your trinity has the likeness of a woman?

Adam is a created Earthly son of God, not a created Heavenly son, like Gabriel or Michael
He, and his progeny, were given dominion of Earth

Woman is a special type of Mankind
Adam was created first (from the Earth) and Eve was created from Adam

the true prophet Ezra said there were 70 non public canon Jewish books (beyond the 24)
worthy of study by the literate and wise
or maybe 70 total, I would have to double check...

of course what true Prophets say is true, regardless of what Israel's general populace or Leadership accepts or teaches -
wonder why Daniel is still in yr Bible?

Last edited:
the true prophet Ezra said there were 70 non public canon Jewish books (beyond the 24)

of course what true Prophets say is true, regardless of what Israel's general populace or Leadership accepts or teaches -
You know, Daniel just barely made it in.

Really? Point them out and make sure you got the right ones, versions.

True prophets teach the law isn't abrogated.

I wonder why you're not sticking to the OP topic?

I get so tired of you whining about this. We simply disagree. You want to say that Gen 2 is history, I say it is a wonderful creation myth. We aren't going to agree. It really makes no sense for you to keep complaining about it over and over -- it won't change me.
Exactly for only God can change you. ;)

Gen 1

This unnamed genius has actually shown, as you do here, from Genesis 1, that God the Creator has a Will, a Word and a Spirit...The Blood/Soul/Nephesh, the Breath/Spirit/Ruach and the Body. The Idea, the Expression and the Life. Creation was not, but for the Three working perfectly as One Creator Elohim...

Back