Will Mormons answer our questions or shove them aside?

Sure. They may have witnessed the works of the Holy Spirit, may have even been used by the Holy Spirit. The passage isn't really clear.

It's clear enough to testify they were made partakers of the Holy Ghost:

Hebrews 6:4---King James Version
4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

From the faith.

Was that the faith one is saved through? If not--was it faith at all?

Hebrews 6:6---King James Version
6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

The same way the dog returns to his vomit. If a sow is washed, is it clean on the inside? Or just externally? I've helped my dad and my uncles butcher hogs, and I've dressed many feral hogs, but I can't say that I've ever washed a sow. But I'm pretty sure washing a sow only cleans the sow on the outside.

When I dressed any animal--I was more concerned about washing the insides than the outside, but I always washed both, if I was going to partake of both.

So--is it the outside--or the inside--which is washed here?

1 John 1:7---King James Version
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

So clearly, if you feel this man represents the Bible and Christianity, it appears as if Christianity believes along with Mormonism that "Works are necessary to obtain the 'status' of being "sanctified." I will admit, I really liked as was reminded of the distinction on position with Christ being unchanged after we are saved.
Describing what sanctification looks like is not the same as saying works are necessary for sanctification.

He very clearly states numerous times that sanctification is the RESULT of salvation, not a means of salvation.

Once again, you're caught in a lie.
Unfortunately, I believe there's a lot of misinformation about Mormonism because many leave the church when they are spiritual infants (as spoken about in Part 1), and the people that leave think they are mature on the merits of how long they were members
So, you think the Mormon leaders I cited do not know what Mormonism teaches? The Mormon sources I quoted were written by "spiritual infants"?
As the sermon states, these things are not what determines spiritual maturity. So, when I say ex-mormons don't understand the restored gospel the way I do, this is what I'm referring to.
The men I quoted were not "ex-Mormons", but revered Mormon leaders. The sources I quoted are still in use in Mormonism today.

Describing what sanctification looks like is not the same as saying works are necessary for sanctification.

Is this what sanctification looks like?

1 John 1:7---King James Version
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

He very clearly states numerous times that sanctification is the RESULT of salvation, not a means of salvation.

Is God's grace necessary for salvation to occur?

Acts 2:38---King James Version
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Mark 16:16---King James Version
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

How is a tree fruitful without fruit?
How does one have a godly walk without walking?
How do we do God's will without doing?

Eph 2: 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them

If works aren't necessary, why does Jesus refer to slothful servants as wicked or unwise?
Sure. Ok.
Justification precedes sanctification. We love Him because He first loved us. I get it. I have no problem with that.
Once again, you're caught in a lie.
How so?
So, you think the Mormon leaders I cited do not know what Mormonism teaches? The Mormon sources I quoted were written by "spiritual infants"?
No, I think you understood the quotes incorrectly - confusing exaltation (sanctification) with salvation (justification).
The men I quoted were not "ex-Mormons", but revered Mormon leaders. The sources I quoted are still in use in Mormonism today.
Yes. And you misunderstood them.

Last edited:
Aaron32 said:
No, I think you understood the quotes incorrectly - confusing exaltation (sanctification) with salvation (justification).

We've been over this many, many times now.

Once again, I did NOT confuse salvation and exaltation. It is YOU who never made any kind of distinction between salvation and exaltation, but simply said "works are a RESULT because of our love for God, not to earn a status or position". I have quoted your own words many times, saying "status or position", not "salvation or exaltation".

Why do you feel you have to be dishonest about this and falsely accuse me, even when it has already been proven that you never made any kind of distinction between salvation and exaltation, but merely said, "status and positions".

If you cannot argue honestly, just say so.

Aaron32 said:
Yes. And you misunderstood them.

I quoted them verbatim.

Once again, I did NOT confuse salvation and exaltation. It is YOU who never made any kind of distinction between salvation and exaltation,
Ok. Well, clarification has been made. Using the quotes going forward, you can make note that according to mormonism, obedience doesn't contribute to their salvation, but to their exaltation.
but simply said "works are a RESULT because of our love for God, not to earn a status or position". I have quoted your own words many times, saying "status or position", not "salvation or exaltation".
I was referring to our motive. We obey BECAUSE we LOVE God - whatever status or position occurs is a natural consequence.
Likewise, according to your own source works are also necessary to have the status of "sanctified".
I quoted them verbatim.
Yes. And whatever meaning you pulled out of them I illustrated from your own source that you also believe in the same general concepts:
  • Yes, works are necessary to become sanctified and achieve spiritual growth.
  • And it's also true that those works are motived out of our love for God, and our desire to glorify him.
This is my clarified statement. Please stick to and refute these points if you can.
If you ignore this and desire to beat me over the head with previous talking points then you're the one with the honesty problem, not me.

according to mormonism, obedience doesn't contribute to their salvation
Don't tell me. Tell these guys:

The LDS Third Article of Faith states: "We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel" (Pearl of Great Price: Articles of Faith)."

This clearly says that obedience to laws is required for salvation.

James Talmage says: "...redemption from personal sins can only be obtained through obedience to the requirement of the Gospel, and a life of good works" (James Talmage, in A Study of the Articles of Faith).

Spencer W. Kimball states: "living all the commandments guarantees total forgiveness of sins and assures one of exaltation...trying is not sufficient. Nor is repentence when one merely tries to abandon sin" (The Miracle of Forgiveness, p.164-165, 354-355).

Bruce McConkie claimed: "Jesus kept the commandments of his Father and thereby worked out his own salvation, and also set an example as to the way and the means whereby all men may be saved" (The Mortal Messiah, Vol.4, p.434).

And before you dishonestly accuse me of not knowing the difference between Mormon salvation and exaltation again, please note that each of these quotes plainly refers to SALVATION, not exaltation. Think you can understand that?
I was referring to our motive. We obey BECAUSE we LOVE God - whatever status or position occurs is a natural consequence.
Likewise, according to your own source works are also necessary to have the status of "sanctified".
That's an argument to be had between you and the Mormon sources I cited.
Yes. And whatever meaning you pulled out of them I illustrated from your own source that you also believe in the same general concepts:
  • Yes, works are necessary to become sanctified and achieve spiritual growth.
Yet again, you lie. We do not believe that works are necessary to become sanctified or achieve spiritual growth.

To the contrary, I even explained to you in a previous post that sanctification is the result of salvation, not the result of works.
This is my clarified statement. Please stick to and refute these points if you can.
Please try to start telling the truth, if you can.
If you ignore this and desire to beat me over the head with previous talking points then you're the one with the honesty problem, not me.
Yes, if you contradict Mormon sources, then I am going to cite Mormon sources to clarify what Mormonism teaches. If you don't like that, then maybe you ought to go back to your cult leaders and ask them to teach you to be a better apologist for Mormonism.

The LDS Third Article of Faith states: "We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel" (Pearl of Great Price: Articles of Faith)."
The laws and ordinances of the gospel of repentance are: faith, repentance, baptism, and the gift of the holy Ghost by laying on of hands.
The laws are what's required to receive Jesus Christ as our Savior and Lord.
The ordinances are outward expressions of that.
Having faith and repentance to receive Jesus Christ is biblical. The ordinances demostrated are also biblical.
Yes. Do you believe you can be saved without receiving Jesus Christ?
James Talmage says: "...redemption from personal sins can only be obtained through obedience to the requirement of the Gospel, and a life of good works" (James Talmage, in A Study of the Articles of Faith).
Whereas, you believe you do not need to obey the gospel to be saved?

Spencer W. Kimball states: "living all the commandments guarantees total forgiveness of sins and assures one of exaltation...trying is not sufficient. Nor is repentence when one merely tries to abandon sin" (The Miracle of Forgiveness, p.164-165, 354-355).
Miracle of Forgiveness is no longer in print. It is not doctrine.

“It makes no difference what is written or what anyone has said, if what has been said is in conflict with what the Lord has revealed, we can set it aside. My words, and the teachings of any other member of the Church, high or low, if they do not square with the revelations, we need not accept them. Let us have this matter clear. We have accepted the four standard works as the measuring yardsticks, or balances, by which we measure every man’s doctrine.

“You cannot accept the books written by the authorities of the Church as standards in doctrine, only in so far as they accord with the revealed word in the standard works.

“Every man who writes is responsible, not the Church, for what he writes. If Joseph Fielding Smith writes something which is out of harmony with the revelations, then every member of the Church is duty bound to reject it. If he writes that which is in perfect harmony with the revealed word of the Lord, then it should be accepted.” (Doctrines of Salvation, comp. Bruce R. McConkie, 3 vols. [1954–56], 3:203–4; also cited in Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, 2nd ed. [1966], p. 609.)
Bruce McConkie claimed: "Jesus kept the commandments of his Father and thereby worked out his own salvation, and also set an example as to the way and the means whereby all men may be saved" (The Mortal Messiah, Vol.4, p.434).
What's the alternative? Do you believe you can be saved by not following Jesus Christ?
And before you dishonestly accuse me of not knowing the difference between Mormon salvation and exaltation again, please note that each of these quotes plainly refers to SALVATION, not exaltation. Think you can understand that?
Yes. And also not that your quotes are referring to the Law of the Gospel.
That's an argument to be had between you and the Mormon sources I cited.
Ok. And you are not an authority. That makes you neither right nor wrong.
I have the scriptures to justify my beliefs and place the quotes in context.
Yet again, you lie. We do not believe that works are necessary to become sanctified or achieve spiritual growth.
Then you disown the source you cited?
You believe you can mutually be fruitful while producing no fruit?
To the contrary, I even explained to you in a previous post that sanctification is the result of salvation, not the result of works.
That's irrelevant. Salvation precedes exaltation. So what?
Please try to start telling the truth, if you can.
Please stop ad homing me and stick to the topic if you can.
Yes, if you contradict Mormon sources,
No, I haven't. Only in your skewed interpretation.
then I am going to cite Mormon sources to clarify what Mormonism teaches.
By all means do. Also don't forget the quote above to place all your stated quotes in context.
If you don't like that,
I have no problem with it.
then maybe you ought to go back to your cult leaders and ask them to teach you to be a better apologist for Mormonism.
Personal insults...is this the fruit of a Christian, or a work of the flesh?

Works of the flesh
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Fruits of the Spirit
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

You can rise above this behavior Mike.
It's sad that a so-called "cult follower" needs to point this out to you.

The laws and ordinances of the gospel of repentance are: faith, repentance, baptism, and the gift of the holy Ghost by laying on of hands.
The laws are what's required to receive Jesus Christ as our Savior and Lord.
The ordinances are outward expressions of that.
Having faith and repentance to receive Jesus Christ is biblical. The ordinances demostrated are also biblical.
No, nothing at all in the Bible suggests we receive Cjrist by the gift of the Holy Ghost by laying on of hands or following the law. The Bible is very clear that we receive Christ by faith, not by works and not by rituals.
Yes. Do you believe you can be saved without receiving Jesus Christ?
Non sequitur. We're not talking about receiving Jesus Christ, but performing works to earn salvation .
Whereas, you believe you do not need to obey the gospel to be saved?
Sure. I just believe we're to follow the Bible's Gospel, not your trash cult's gospel.
Miracle of Forgiveness is no longer in print. It is not doctrine.
So, can you tell us when Spencer W. Kimball became unable to accurately represent Mormon doctrine.
What's the alternative?
The alternative is salvation by grace through faith, like the Bible says.
Do you believe you can be saved by not following Jesus Christ?
Do you think acting like a fool is going to attract people to Mormonism?
Yes. And also not that your quotes are referring to the Law of the Gospel.
Wjat part of "by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel" are you too feeble minded to understand?
Ok. And you are not an authority. That makes you neither right nor wrong.
That's why I cited Mormon authorities to show you that you're wrong.
I have the scriptures to justify my beliefs and place the quotes in context.
Then you should have posted those verses, rather than just making declarations that were easily refuuted.
Then you disown the source you cited?
Not at all. Just pointing out that you continue to lie.
That's irrelevant. Salvation precedes exaltation. So what?
Irrelevant. You asked specifically about salvation.
Please stop ad homing me and stick to the topic if you can.
Then stop lying, putting words in my mouth, and playing bait and switch.
No, I haven't. Only in your skewed interpretation.
Actually, I didn't offer a interpretation. I quoted them verbatim.
By all means do. Also don't forget the quote above to place all your stated quotes in context.
I did. Several times, in fact.
I have
Personal insults...is this the fruit of a Christian, or a work of the flesh?
Is your constant lying the fruit of a Mormon?
You can rise above this behavior Mike.
Can you rise above your lying? Can you rise above putting words in my mouth? Can you rise above the dishonest debate tactics?
It's sad that a so-called "cult follower" needs to point this out to you.
It's sad that you have no problem lying to defend your cult.

I've had enough. You're precisely the kind of fool Proverbs 26:4 talks about. You're dismissed. Continue on your way to Hell

No, nothing at all in the Bible suggests we receive Cjrist by the gift of the Holy Ghost by laying on of hands or following the law. The Bible is very clear that we receive Christ by faith, not by works and not by rituals.
True, but works are an expression of faith.
God ordained ordinances that we should walk in them (Eph 2:10)
Non sequitur. We're not talking about receiving Jesus Christ, but performing works to earn salvation .
The question of "How do we appropriately witness we receive Jesus Christ?" seems to be relevant to me.
Sure. I just believe we're to follow the Bible's Gospel, not your trash cult's gospel.
So where in the Bible is baptism or the laying of hands considered forbidden?
So, can you tell us when Spencer W. Kimball became unable to accurately represent Mormon doctrine.
When he stopped aligning with the scriptures.
To review the quote:

Kimball overstated obedience - one cannot "guarantee" total forgiveness of sins since one cannot guarantee they are "living all the commandments". Thus, we are saved by grace after extending our best efforts.
2 Nephi 10:24 "24 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, reconcile yourselves to the will of God, and not to the will of the devil and the flesh; and remember, after ye are reconciled unto God, that it is only in and through the grace of God that ye are saved."

The alternative is salvation by grace through faith, like the Bible says.
So Jesus "set an example as to the way" is not "grace through faith"
Do you think acting like a fool is going to attract people to Mormonism?
No. How is this relevant?
What part of "by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel" are you too feeble minded to understand?
I could ask you the same question. What am I not understanding?
You're pitting "the law of gospel" contrary to the bible. This is a false dilemma.
That's why I cited Mormon authorities to show you that you're wrong.
And you failed to do so.
Then you should have posted those verses, rather than just making declarations that were easily refuted.
What declarations of mine do you find unscriptural? I'll be happy to get the scriptural backing.
Not at all. Just pointing out that you continue to lie.
But you've yet to prove that.
Irrelevant. You asked specifically about salvation.
Huh?
Then stop lying, putting words in my mouth, and playing bait and switch.
Just stick to the topic. If I'm playing bait-and-switch please illustrate it rather than attack my character.
Actually, I didn't offer a interpretation. I quoted them verbatim.
Then what are we arguing about?
You believe I was wrong when I said "obedience doesn't contribute to their salvation" and then posted quotes.
That's implying an interpretation. But hey, if you're going to disown all your claims, then let's just get of this hamster wheel, eh?
I did. Several times, in fact.
I and expect you will in the future.
Is your constant lying the fruit of a Mormon?
Can you prove that I'm lying outside your opinion?
Can you rise above your lying? Can you rise above putting words in my mouth? Can you rise above the dishonest debate tactics?
Dude! It's really simple. Just stay on topic.
If my arguments are illogical, identify the logic, and where my logic breaks.
If I'm mis-representing you, show me what I said versus what you stated and explain where I'm getting it wrong.
In short, simply show evidence to back your claims, and hopefully we can end the contention and get to productive discussion and understanding.
It's sad that you have no problem lying to defend your cult.
If you think I'm lying, prove it, and I'll address it.
I've had enough. You're precisely the kind of fool Proverbs 26:4 talks about. You're dismissed. Continue on your way to Hell
If this is what you believe, then you should have avoided the conversation to begin with.
But now you're guilty of Matt 5:22.
You project my dishonesty when all I'm doing to asking you to back your claims.
Do you really want honest discussion? then do the work rather than make empty accusations.

This question can be asked about every Mormon leader whose teachings have since been relegated to “not doctrine,” starting with Joseph Smith. And that’s a very large number of so-called prophets.

God doesn’t give His prophets false doctrine or false prophecies. The fact that Mormons have to scrounge thru what their leaders have taught and figure out what’s even their own doctrine, is a sign that they are false prophets Christ warned us about.

Just a note here, Mike---the LDS believe both sanctification and salvation is a result of God's grace.

The question then becomes, IMO--who does God extend His grace unto life?

1 John 1:7--King James Version

Do you believe being cleansed from sin is integral to salvation and sanctification?

This question can be asked about every Mormon leader whose teachings have since been relegated to “not doctrine,” starting with Joseph Smith. And that’s a very large number of so-called prophets.

God doesn’t give His prophets false doctrine or false prophecies. The fact that Mormons have to scrounge thru what their leaders have taught and figure out what’s even their own doctrine, is a sign that they are false prophets Christ warned us about.
This view is based on the false premise that we are 'a cult' - checking out brains at the door, and blindly accepting what our 'cult leaders' tell us.

The reality is that scripture is written documents by God's chosen servants. We recognize those servant by the fruits of the Spirit. Not everything that was ever written by every prophet, king of Israel, or apostle, etc. was canonized into the Bible. That which was found worthy to be canonized was not "men" speaking, but God speaking through men.

Thus, mormons are not attached to the words of "men" despite their church calling, as anti-mormonism claims. It is given to us, by the gift of the Holy Ghost, to discern what God's will is, and teaches us all things. Sometimes that counsel is given through Priesthood leaders, or fellow members, or scripture, or impressions in our minds, but the counsel cannot invalidate gospel truths found in the Standard Works. And "the truth" will be vetted by experience. (See Alma 32)

1 Cor 3:
7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.
13 Every man’s work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man’s work of what sort it is.

We believe the "Doctrine of Christ" that tells us "...if ye will enter in by the way, and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do." (2 Ne 32:5)

BTW - Its our critics that scrounge through old writings to stir up doubtful disputations - reinforcing their "stumbling blocks" seeking for things they can't understand. (Jacob 4:14)

Could anyone explain how that would be any different than this testimony?

Matthew 19:16-19---King James Version
16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

God doesn’t give His prophets false doctrine or false prophecies.

Does that include this Prophet?

16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Does that include this Prophet?

How is that "false"?

Just a note here, Mike---the LDS believe both sanctification and salvation is a result of God's grace.
Could you please explain why you believe the Mormon sources and authorities I've quoted are wrong? They all believe works are required, not grace.

Could you also please explain why you disagree with 2 Nephi 25:23, which says "we are saved by grace, after all we can do"?
Do you believe being cleansed from sin is integral to salvation and sanctification?
Of course. But I believe the Bible's teaching that the cleansing from sin is free and without any obligation or effort on our part.

Back